As governments fight the COVID-19 pandemic, Snopes is fighting an infodemic of rumors and misinformation, and you can help. Read our coronavirus fact checks. Submit any questionable rumors and advice you encounter. Become a Founding Member to help us hire more fact-checkers. And, please, follow the CDC or WHO for guidance on protecting your community from the disease.
As the world raced to find a treatment that would alleviate the global pressure of the coronavirus pandemic, U.S. President Donald Trump contracted the virus in early October 2020 and developed COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by SARS-CoV-2. In the days following his diagnosis and public release from Walter Reed Hospital, where he received world-class treatment, Trump touted the powers of a miracle drug called Regeneron, which he promised to make available to the American people.
A video shared in tweet by the president on Oct. 7 claimed that Regeneron was a cure.
I spent four days there [at Walter Reed] and I went in, I wasnt feeling so hot. And within a very short period of time, they gave me Regeneron. Its called Regeneron. And other things too but I think this was the key. But they gave me Regeneron, and it was like, unbelievable. I felt good immediately. I felt as good three days ago as I do now.
So, I just want to say, we have Regeneron. We have a very similar drug from Eli Lilly, and theyre coming out and were trying to get them on an emergency basis. Weve authorized it. Ive authorized it. And if youre in the hospital and youre feeling really bad, I think were going to work it so that you get them and youre going to get them free.
Shortly after the president praised what he deemed a cure for his COVID-19 infection, some social media users pushed the claim that the drug Trump was given was developed using fetal tissue a practice in direct conflict with the administrations pro-life platform.
To clarify, Trump was treated with REGN-COV2, a novel anti-viral antibody cocktail created by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, a New York-based company that has openly stated it uses stem cell and fetal tissues as part of its research and development on new pharmaceutical treatments. This knowledge, and open support from a pro-life president, incited social media pushback from users who argued that the companys use of stem cells and fetal tissues for scientific research goes against pro-life platforms and policies.
REGN-COV2 is a combination of two human-made proteins, or monoclonal antibodies, known as REGN10933 and REGN10987. These two monoclonal antibodies were specifically designed to block the ability of SARs-CoV-2 to infect human cells. The biotechnology company further went on to describe the development of REGN-COV2 as follows:
To develop REGN-COV2, Regeneron scientists evaluated thousands of fully-human antibodies produced by the companys VelocImmune mice, which have been genetically modified to have a human immune system, as well as antibodies identified from humans who have recovered from COVID-19. The two potent, virus-neutralizing antibodies that form REGN-COV2 bind non-competitively to the critical receptor binding domain of the viruss spike protein, which diminishes the ability of mutant viruses to escape treatment and protects against spike variants that have arisen in the human population.
While it is true that Regeneron has used stem cells for some of its research, no human stem cells or human embryonic stem cells were used in the development of REGN-COV2, according to Alexandria Bowie, a spokesperson for the company. An April 2020 statement issued by Regeneron confirmed that research using stem cells helps its scientists model complex diseases, test new drug candidates, and lead to scientific insights that may help spur the creation of new medicines but the company contends that embryonic cells were not used in the production of REGN-CO2.
In short: we did not use human stem cells or human embryonic stem cells in the development of REGN-COV2, Bowie told Snopes in an email.
But its not quite that cut and dried.
In the research and development of pharmaceutical therapeutics, many companies turn to what is known as a cell line. These are cultures of human or animal cells that are derived from a living organism and cultured and propagated repeatedly, and, in some cases, used indefinitely. The development of REGN-COV2 utilized HEK293T a cell line that is derived from human fetal embryonic kidney tissues to create a pseudovirus that mimics a spike Protein found in SARS-CoV-2 in order to test the drugs ability to neutralize and ultimately treat the novel coronavirus.
HEK293s are considered immortalized cells (not stem cells) and are a common and widespread tool in research labs. This cell line was originally derived by adenovirus transformation of human embryonic kidney cells in 1977, explained Bowie, adding that HEK293 were further transformed at Stanford in the 1980s with SV40 large T antigen, a solution that is used by researchers to initiate and maintain DNA replication necessary for creating cell lines.
Fetal tissues were not directly used n the development of REGN-COV2, but cell lines from decades-old embryonic kidney tissues were. Fetal tissues are used to develop cell lines. Embryonic stem cells, on the other hand, are different than adult stem cells in that they are undifferentiated and regenerative cells, which means that they have not been assigned a key task in the human body. As such, researchers have uncovered ways to direct their use in creating human tissues that allow for a variety of uses, including testing new pharmaceuticals.
Opposition to the use of fetal tissue and embryonic stem cell research has been at the heart of the pro-life platform due to the way in which these cells are obtained and its association with using living fetuses either inside (in utero) or outside of the uterus (ex utero). Pro-life groups like March for Life have even gone so far as to pressure the Trump administration to halt funding for research that requires aborted fetal organs and tissues. In summer 2019, the president required any federally funded research using fetal tissue to undergo an ethics review, and has since stocked his cabinet with other similarly-minded officials.
REGN-COV2 is currently in late-stage clinical trials for various populations, including non-hospitalized and hospitalized patients as well as for the potential prevention in individuals who may have had close household exposure to COVID-19. According to a news release published on Sept. 29, the company announced that the antibody cocktail was shown to reduce the viral load and alleviate symptoms in non-hospitalized patients with COVID-19. REGN-COV2 also showed positive trends in reducing medical visits. However, it is important to note that the research included a relatively small sample size of just 275 patients.
The greatest treatment benefit was in patients who had not mounted their own effective immune response, suggesting that REGN-COV2 could provide a therapeutic substitute for the naturally-occurring immune response. These patients were less likely to clear the virus on their own and were at greater risk for prolonged symptoms, said Regeneron President and Chief Scientific Officer Dr. George D. Yancopoulos in a statement.
As of Oct. 12, Regeneron had submitted an emergency use authorization (EUA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in early October, and noted REGN-COV2s early, promising clinical data paired with the continued, pressing unmet need of COVID-19 meets the FDA standard for emergency use authorization.
Regeneron told Snopes that it cant speculate on potential timing for an EUA. We will update when such is available.
- Accelerating Sales in North America to Drive the Stem Cell Therapy market between 2020 and 2030 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market in Global : Current and the Future Trends: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell Technologies Inc - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- GFI1: New Role Uncovered for a Protein Involved in Hearing : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo -... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- This Date in UCSF History: Election Offers Mixed Bag of Results - Synapse - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 28th, 2020
- TRF2-mediated telomere protection is dispensable in pluripotent stem cells - Nature.com - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020: Rising with Immense Development Trends across the Globe by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - November 26th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 26th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Dr. David Steenblock - Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - BlogTalkRadio - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- University of Alberta research team poised to cure diabetesagain - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - November 23rd, 2020
- New Role For Serotonin Identified In The Evolution Of The Developing Brain - Anti Aging News - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - November 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market is Projected to Reach $6,956 million by 2023 | Leading key players are Cord Blood Registry, ViaCord, Cryo-Cell, China Cord... - November 14th, 2020
- California approves billions for stem-cell research - Modern Healthcare - November 14th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Strategic Assessment BioLife Solutions, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - KYT24 - November 14th, 2020
- The heart of a mouse embryo was first created from stem cells - FREE NEWS - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020
- The story of mRNA: From a loose idea to a tool that may help curb Covid - STAT - November 11th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - PRnews Leader - November 10th, 2020
- Californias stem cell measure ahead by narrow margin with millions of ballots still left to count - The Mercury News - November 8th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Emerging Trends, Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Factor with Regional Forecast, Segmentation, Investment Opportunities, Industry Research and End User Analysis... - November 8th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Lebanon Express - November 8th, 2020
- U.S. elections bring wins and losses for research community - Science Magazine - November 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market : By Component, by Application, by Component Mode, and By Region Global Forecast up to 2026 -... - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Exceed Revenues Worth US$ By The End Of 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Forecast 2027| Merck Group,... - November 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Demand, Share, Global Trend, Top Key Players Update, Business Statistics And Research Methodology By Forecast... - November 4th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2020-2026 - PRnews Leader - November 2nd, 2020
- Study Identifies Pitfall for Correcting Mutations in Human Embryos with CRISPR - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - October 31st, 2020
- Local researchers make stem cell breakthrough - Times of Malta - October 25th, 2020
- Happiness neurotransmitter serotonin plays role in evolutionary expansion of the neocortex - News-Medical.net - October 25th, 2020
- Mice Model Market Research Report 2020 - Global Forecast to 2025 & Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 22nd, 2020
- For researchers, including some in St. John's, gene editing is now as a precise as film editing - TheChronicleHerald.ca - October 22nd, 2020
- Competitive Landscape of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Global Industry Size, Volume, Trends and Revenue Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- The Infodemic: Was Regeneron COVID-19 Treatment Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissue? - Voice of America - October 17th, 2020
- I've Spent Decades Studying How People Build Their Families. Here's What I've Learned Matters Most - TIME - October 14th, 2020
- Election 2020: Prop. 14 would boost funding on stem-cell research - San Francisco Business Times - October 10th, 2020
- Factcheck: Regenerons use of embryonic stem cells - Security Boulevard - October 10th, 2020
- Proposition 14: With Just Handful of Cures, California Stem Cell Agency's Fate Is In Hands of Voters - KQED - October 10th, 2020
- Antibody cocktail given to Trump is controversial, and not only because its still under trial - ThePrint - October 10th, 2020
- The global regenerative medicine market is projected to reach USD 17.9 billion by 2025 from USD 8.5 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 15.9% - Yahoo... - October 10th, 2020
- University of Wisconsin Researchers Use Stem Cells to Treat Parkinson's - Gilmore Health News - October 10th, 2020
- Thinking It Through: Only two of 12 statewide propositions should be approved - VVdailypress.com - October 10th, 2020
- Mesoblast Needs A Solution To MSC Scalability Issues - Cynata Therapeutics Has An Answer - Seeking Alpha - October 10th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market | Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Set to Witness an Uptick during 2020 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Factors, Rising Trends and Outlook 2020 to 2027 - X Herald - October 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Industry Report 2020 | COVID19 Impact Analysis With... - October 5th, 2020
- Stem cell studies probe origins of the placenta - Science - October 2nd, 2020
- No on Prop 14: Not the best way to support stem-cell research - Los Angeles Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Majority of Respondents Support Chimeric Animal Research: Survey - The Scientist - October 2nd, 2020
- $1.9 Billion Mice Model Market by Mice Type, Technology, Application, Service, Care Products - Global Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 2nd, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2018-2023 - The Market Records - October 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Patenting Stem Cell Inventions in India- What to Expect? - Lexology - September 11th, 2020