Oncology drugs are therapeutics used to treat cancer, a group of diseases caused by uncontrolled growth and division of abnormal cells. Oncology drugs include a range of different types of medications, such as chemotherapy agents, targeted therapies, immunotherapies, and hormone therapies. There are also different types of drugs available to help treat the side effects from oncology drugs.
If you have cancer, its likely youll have a few options when it comes to treatment. Cancer treatment is constantly evolving and progressing. You now have more drug options to choose from than ever before.
A doctor may recommend that you treat your cancer with one or more of the following types of oncology drugs:
Chemotherapy drugs are chemical agents that work by destroying fast-growing cells in the body. Cancer cells grow and divide more rapidly than other cells. The goal of chemotherapy is to lower the total number of cancer cells in your body and reduce the chances that the cancer will spread to other parts of the body (metastasize).
There are at least 61 chemotherapy drugs approved in the United States. Your doctor may decide to treat your cancer with a a single chemotherapy drug or a combination of chemotherapy drugs.
Hormone therapy is used to treat cancers that rely on hormones to grow. This may include certain types of breast cancer and prostate cancer. Breast cancers may be fed by estrogen or progesterone, while prostate cancers often depend on the hormone androgen.
Some examples of hormone therapies include:
Targeted therapies are part of a new approach known as personalized medicine or precision medicine. Targeted therapies are able to seek out and kill cancerous cells without harming the normal cells in your body. These drugs work by blocking the molecular pathways that are critical to tumor growth.
To see if youre eligible for a particular targeted therapy, a doctor will first perform genetic or biomarker testing. The results of this testing will allow your doctor to make an informed decision about which drug is more likely to work for your type of cancer, based on the genetic mutations or other molecular characteristics of your tumor.
Examples of targeted oncology drugs include:
Immunotherapy is a type of targeted therapy that uses the bodys own immune system to attack cancer cells. Cancer cells sometimes have strategic ways of hiding from your immune system, but immunotherapies work by blocking these mechanisms.
Immunotherapies are approved to treat a variety of cancers. Examples include:
To counter the side effects of oncology drugs, your oncologist may prescribe additional medications. Examples include:
Oncology drugs have many benefits. Depending on your individual cancer, these drugs may:
On the other hand, oncology drugs often have side effects and risks. Chemotherapy, for example, can attack some of the normal cells in your body especially blood cells, skin, hair, and the cells lining the intestine and mouth. This can cause serious side effects that can negatively impact your quality of life.
Common side effects of chemotherapy include:
Targeted therapies and immunotherapies often have fewer side effects compared to chemotherapy since they only attack cancer cells while sparing healthy cells from harm, but they can still cause side effects. These may include:
Hormone therapies can block your bodys ability to make hormones, and can interfere with how hormones act in your body. Some common side effects of hormone therapies include:
Apart from oncology drugs, there are other treatments available for cancer, including:
Other therapies such as acupuncture, meditation, and herbal supplements may help with side effects of cancer treatment, but are ineffective at treating the cancer itself.
Yes, you can have a say in your cancer treatment, including making the decision to delay treatment or not have treatment at all. You can also seek a second opinion from another qualified doctor. Dont hesitate to ask your doctor for resources so you can do your own research on available treatments before you make a decision.
Ask your doctor about clinical trials taking place in your area. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) maintains a large database of clinical trials at clinicaltrials.gov. You can also search the National Cancer Institute (NCI)s online tool or contact them for help at 800-4-CANCER.
There are over 100 types of cancer, according to the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Your oncologist will formulate a recommended treatment plan based on the type of cancer you have, the stage or grade of the cancer, the characteristics of your tumor, your age, overall health, and several other considerations.
To determine the best treatment for you, your oncologist may perform molecular testing on your tumor among other imaging and blood tests. He or she will also likely consult with medical guidelines, such as those set forth by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN).
To treat cancer, your doctor may recommend one type of oncology drug or a combination of drugs alongside surgery, radiation, or other types of treatment.
Before deciding to move forward with a cancer drug, learn as much as you can about the recommended treatment. Ask your doctor about benefits and risks of your recommended treatment plan and work together to make an informed decision.
Read this article:
- Here's Why Longeveron Is Surging Today - Motley Fool - December 4th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Partnering Report/Directory 2021: Terms and Agreements for 1600 Deals 2014-2 - Benzinga - December 4th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Market is anticipated to reach US$ 2.8 Bn by 2031 - PRNewswire - December 4th, 2021
- Stem-cell implant prototypes pave the way towards life-long treatment for type 1 diabetes - ZME Science - December 3rd, 2021
- Certain Patients With Heart Failure May Benefit From Stem Cell Therapy - Pharmacy Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces Conference Call and Webcast to Discuss Lancet Respiratory Medicine Publications and Provide a Corporate Update - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Roundtable Discussion: Usmani and Participants Review Using Transplant and Combination Therapy in a Patient With Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoiesis and innate immunity: an inseparable couple for good and bad times, bound together by an hormetic relationship - DocWire News - December 3rd, 2021
- Reality of universal cancer prevention & cure - BSA bureau - December 3rd, 2021
- World Aids Day Improving the lives of everyone affected by HIV - QMUL - December 3rd, 2021
- Seres Therapeutics Announces First Patient Enrolled in Phase 1b Study of SER-155, an Investigational Microbiome Therapeutic to Reduce the Risk of... - December 3rd, 2021
- AVROBIO Presents Clinician Experience with FAB-GT Clinical Trial and Updated Safety Data for Investigational Gene Therapies in Fabry Disease and... - November 28th, 2021
- The questions surgical robots still need to answer - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - November 24th, 2021
- Holiday Gift Guide 2021: The Best Wellness And Self-Care Essentials For Travel - Forbes - November 24th, 2021
- Investigating pathogens and their life cycles, for the benefit of society - MIT News - November 24th, 2021
- Mitigating Toxicities Will Position BCMA for Role in Triple-Class Refractory Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - November 24th, 2021
- Human Primary Cells Market 2021 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis and Strategies of Key Players: Lonza, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - November 21st, 2021
- Researcher Works for Diversity, Inclusion in Sciences, One Journal at a Time - Lab Manager Magazine - November 18th, 2021
- Raw Marijuana Won't Get You Stoned, But It Does Have Some Interesting Benefits - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 16th, 2021
- The 18 Best New November 2021 Skin-Care Launches That Deserve a Spot in Your Routine - Allure - November 16th, 2021
- Singapore Aims To Lead The World In Lab-Grown Meat - Intelligent Living - November 16th, 2021
- Dermarolling Your Scalp Is Proven to Increase Hair Growth and Thickness Here's How to Do It - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Failure Reduces CV Events, Death in Select Patientsbut not Hospitalization - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 15th, 2021
- JASPER THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 15th, 2021
- Week In Review: Zai Lab Announces Two In-Licensings With Total Value Of $800 Million - Seeking Alpha - November 15th, 2021
- Beam gets green light to begin first clinical test of base editing - BioPharma Dive - November 15th, 2021
- GlycoMimetics GMI-1359 Data Selected for Presentation at 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition - Galveston County... - November 15th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Present at the Credit Suisse 30th Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2021
- Biotech Companies are Expanding the Frontiers of Engineered Cell Therapy - BioSpace - November 11th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Abstract Highlighting FT538 and - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present Preclinical Data Highlighting Fully Allogeneic CAR-T Product Candidates at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer... - November 11th, 2021
- Affimed Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - KULR-TV - November 11th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Present at the Credit Suisse 30th Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 9th, 2021
- Hoth Therapeutics Inks API and Drug Product Contracts with WuXi STA to Advance Manufacturing of HT-KIT Cancer Therapeutic - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2021
- Technology set to redesign the future of food as agriculture moves towards net zero - ABC News - November 9th, 2021
- MAGENTA THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 5th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Data Presentations Related to its Mobilization and Conditioning Programs at the 2021 American Society of Hematology... - November 5th, 2021
- 15 Best Peptide Skin-Care Products 2021 for Smoother, Firmer, and Plumper Skin - Allure - November 5th, 2021
- Atara Biotherapeutics to Present Eight Abstracts at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting, Including First Presentation of... - November 5th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Eight Presentations at the 2021 ASH Annual Meeting - The Bakersfield Californian - November 5th, 2021
- STEMTECH CORPORATION (OTC:GNTW) ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF SANDRA KAZICKAITE TO THE ROLE OF VICE PRESIDENT OF GLOBAL PERFORMANCE - Yahoo Finance - November 3rd, 2021
- Assessing the benefits of stem cell research (column) - LNP | LancasterOnline - November 1st, 2021
- How to Test for Leukemia: What Are My Options? - Healthline - November 1st, 2021
- Exposed: The Plague Of Fake Medical Trials Putting Lives In Danger - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - November 1st, 2021
- To Reduce Stress and Boost Energy, Try Maca Root - The Beet - November 1st, 2021
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market Outlook 2021 Pricing Strategy, Industry Latest News, Top Company Analysis, Research Report Analysis and Share by... - November 1st, 2021
- Geron Enters New Innovative Licensing and Access Pathway in the United Kingdom for Imetelstat - Business Wire - November 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Diseases: What Can Stem Cells Cure | stemcela.com - October 30th, 2021
- The Cost Of Stem Cell Therapy in 2021 | BioInformant - October 30th, 2021
- NIH Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research | STEM Cell ... - October 30th, 2021
- Fi Europe 2021 innovation finalists mirror mega trends of plant based and sustainability - FoodNavigator.com - October 30th, 2021
- Medical Innovation In Pet Healthcare Is Taking Things Up a Notch - Entrepreneur - October 28th, 2021
- BIOHAVEN ENROLLS PHASE 1A/1B CLINICAL TRIAL OF BHV-1100, LEAD ASSET FROM ITS ARM (ANTIBODY RECRUITING MOLECULE) PLATFORM, IN COMBINATION WITH NK CELL... - October 28th, 2021
- Researchers discover a way to increase the effectiveness of antibiotics - EurekAlert - October 28th, 2021
- Fresh Bros: Exploring the Top Five Health Benefits of Turmeric Extract with BioPerine - GlobeNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- All hopes to save the northern white rhinos now rest on a single female - ZME Science - October 23rd, 2021
- AVROBIO Reports New Interim Safety Data Across Investigational Gene Therapies for Fabry and Gaucher Disease Type 1 - StreetInsider.com - October 21st, 2021
- CDMO: The Rise of End-to-End Services - Marketscreener.com - October 21st, 2021
- MeiraGTx Announces the Presentation of Two Novel Inherited - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2021
- Current status of drug repositioning in hematology - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- Is Fresh Breast Milk Better for Preemies Than Pumped and Stored? - UMass News and Media Relations - October 19th, 2021
- Vertex Announces Positive Day 90 Data for the First Patient in the Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial Dosed With VX-880, a Novel Investigational Stem... - October 19th, 2021
- Headband Could Beat Insomnia By Zapping The Brain While Sufferers Wear It For 20 Minutes At Bedtime - - Todayuknews - October 19th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 17th, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - EurekAlert - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021
- Nic Chapman: my MS battle and the treatment that's given me hope - The Times - October 17th, 2021
- Dream Body Clinic Stem Cell Therapy Stem Cells HGH - October 13th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells - October 13th, 2021
- 3D printing: Healthcare insiders' view on the tech - Verdict - October 13th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Stem Cell Supplement Brands - Healthtrends - October 13th, 2021
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase overexpression and low oxygen conditioning hormesis improve the performance of irradiated sterile males |... - October 13th, 2021
- Researchers uncover how cancer cells use sugar residue to evade the immune system - News-Medical.net - October 13th, 2021
- The science and practicality of cultured meat The Stute - The Stute - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Le - Benzinga - October 11th, 2021
- Want To Support Healthy Bones? It's Time To Get Your Vitamin D In Check - mindbodygreen.com - October 11th, 2021
- Joint : Why Breast Cancer Awareness Matters, and How to Get It Done - marketscreener.com - October 11th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 7th, 2021