Despite significant progress in treating cancer in recent years, the need for further improvements has persisted particularly for some of the most challenging forms of the disease, such as lung cancer. Lung cancer is one of the most common cancers, and is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women.
The majority of lung cancer cases are non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), a complex disease that can affect each patient differently. Most cases of NSCLC are not diagnosed until the disease is advanced meaning it has metastasized or spread which can make it more challenging to treat.
The impact of lung cancer, and advanced NSCLC in particular, continues to be felt across our communities, explained Andrea Ferris, president and chairman of LUNGevity Foundation. While every persons experience with the disease is unique, many patients hope they can retain a sense of normalcy in their lives and are seeking more treatment options that offer a chance at a longer life.
Research Driving New Progress for Certain Patients
Researchers have accelerated their pursuit of new and differentiated approaches that address this critical unmet need, focusing on options that may offer patients a chance at a longer life. One area of research that has shown potential is combining treatments, such as immunotherapies, for certain patients with previously untreated advanced disease.
Hossein Borghaei, D.O., chief of thoracic medical oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia explains, Progress in treating advanced lung cancer has led to more options for patients with newly diagnosed advanced NSCLC. Some of the most recent developments in the field of immunotherapy are particularly exciting.
One example is the U.S. Food and Drug Administrations approval of the first and only dual immunotherapy approach for newly diagnosed patients. Opdivo (nivolumab) is a prescription medicine used in combination with Yervoy (ipilimumab) for adults with advanced stage NSCLC that has spread to other parts of your body (metastatic) and tests positive for PD-L1 and do not have an abnormal EGFR or ALK gene.
Opdivo can cause problems that can sometimes become serious or life threatening and can lead to death. Serious side effects may include lung problems (pneumonitis); intestinal problems (colitis) that can lead to tears or holes in your intestine; liver problems (hepatitis); hormone gland problems (especially the thyroid, pituitary, adrenal glands, and pancreas); kidney problems, including nephritis and kidney failure; skin problems; inflammation of the brain (encephalitis); problems in other organs; and severe infusion reactions; and complications of stem-cell transplant that uses donor stem cells (allogeneic). Additional serious side effects of Yervoy alone include: nerve problems that can lead to paralysis; eye problems; and complications of stem-cell transplant that uses donor stem cells (allogeneic). Please see Important Facts about side effects for Opdivo and Yervoy below.
Opdivo and Yervoy work with your immune system to help fight cancer in two ways. Yervoy stimulates the kind of cells that help fight cancer, while Opdivo may help these cells to find and fight the cancer cells again. While doing so, Opdivo and Yervoy can also affect healthy cells. These problems can sometimes become serious or life threatening and can lead to death. These problems may happen anytime during treatment or even after treatment has ended. Some of these problems may happen more often when Opdivo is used in combination with Yervoy.
Clinical Trial Findings: A Chance to Live Longer
Opdivo + Yervoy was studied in a clinical trial and compared to platinum-based chemotherapy among certain patients with previously untreated, advanced NSCLC that tested positive for PD-L1.
In the trial, 396 patients received Opdivo + Yervoy and 397 patients received platinum-based chemotherapy. Patients who were treated with Opdivo + Yervoy lived longer than those treated with platinum-based chemotherapy:
In the trial, 396 patients received Opdivo + Yervoy and 397 patients received platinum-based chemotherapy. Patients who were treated with Opdivo + Yervoy lived longer than those treated with platinum-based chemotherapy:
An additional analysis showed:
The data supporting this dual immunotherapy approach are encouraging, particularly as one third of the patients who responded to treatment with Opdivo + Yervoy were still alive at three years, said Dr. Borghaei. Further, Opdivo + Yervoy offers a non-chemotherapy option, which can be important to some patients.
The most common side effects of Opdivo, when used in combination with Yervoy, include: feeling tired; diarrhea; rash; itching; nausea; pain in muscles, bones, and joints; fever; cough; decreased appetite; vomiting; stomach-area (abdominal) pain; shortness of breath; upper respiratory tract infection; headache; low thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism); decreased weight; and dizziness. Please see Important Facts about side effects for Opdivo and Yervoy below.
Evolving Outlooks and Adapting Support for Patients
Facing a lung cancer diagnosis and beginning treatment can be life-altering in many ways and todays unique environment as a result of the coronavirus has brought about additional considerations for patients, caregivers and the broader healthcare community, with telemedicine and other forms of remote support playing an increasingly vital role.
Patients should know there are resources available and ways to stay connected, even during times when maintaining physical distance from others is important, said Ferris. We have transformed many of our patient support and education offerings into virtual formats, which we are updating frequently to provide the most recent information and reach and connect as many people as possible.
Dr. Borghaei also urges patients to reach out to their doctor or care team to learn about and take advantage of available remote support offerings. Advances in cancer research are still happening every day, with Opdivo + Yervoy being one example. Its as important as ever that people diagnosed with lung cancer speak with their doctor to fully understand their treatment options. While how we deliver care might look different now in some ways, our commitment to helping patients live longer hasnt changed.
To learn more about Opdivo + Yervoy, please visit http://www.Opdivo.com.
OPDIVO (nivolumab) is a prescription medicine used in combination with YERVOY (ipilimumab) as a first treatment for adults with a type of advanced stage lung cancer (called non-small cell lung cancer) when your lung cancer has spread to other parts of your body (metastatic) and your tumors are positive for PD-L1, but do not have an abnormal EGFR or ALK gene.
It is not known if OPDIVO is safe and effective in children younger than 18 years of age.
OPDIVO (10 mg/mL) and YERVOY (5 mg/mL) are injections for intravenous (IV) use.
ImportantSafetyInformationforOPDIVO(nivolumab) + YERVOY (ipilimumab)
OPDIVO is a medicine that may treat certain cancers by working with your immune system. OPDIVO can cause your immune system to attack normal organs and tissues in any area of your body and can affect the way they work. These problems can sometimes become serious or life-threatening and can lead to death. These problems may happen anytime during treatment or even after your treatment has ended. Some of these problems may happen more often when OPDIVO is used in combination with YERVOY.
YERVOY can cause serious side effects in many parts of your body which can lead to death. These problems may happen anytime during treatment with YERVOY or after you have completed treatment.
Serious side effects may include:Lung problems (pneumonitis). Symptoms of pneumonitis may include: new or worsening cough; chest pain; and shortness of breath. Intestinal problems (colitis) that can lead to tears or holes in your intestine. Signs and symptoms of colitis may include: diarrhea (loose stools) or more bowel movements than usual; blood in your stools or dark, tarry, sticky stools; and severe stomach area (abdomen) pain or tenderness. Liver problems (hepatitis). Signs and symptoms of hepatitis may include: yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes; severe nausea or vomiting; pain on the right side of your stomach area (abdomen); drowsiness; dark urine (tea colored); bleeding or bruising more easily than normal; feeling less hungry than usual; and decreased energy.Hormone gland problems (especially the thyroid, pituitary, adrenal glands, and pancreas). Signs and symptoms that your hormone glands are not working properly may include: headaches that will not go away or unusual headaches; extreme tiredness; weight gain or weight loss; dizziness or fainting; changes in mood or behavior, such as decreased sex drive, irritability, or forgetfulness; hair loss; feeling cold; constipation; voice gets deeper; and excessive thirst or lots of urine. Kidney problems, including nephritis and kidney failure.Signs of kidney problems may include: decrease in the amount of urine; blood in your urine; swelling in your ankles; and loss of appetite. Skin problems.Signs of these problems may include: rash; itching; skin blistering; and ulcers in the mouth or other mucous membranes. Inflammation of the brain (encephalitis). Signs and symptoms of encephalitis may include: headache; fever; tiredness or weakness; confusion; memory problems; sleepiness; seeing or hearing things that are not really there (hallucinations); seizures; and stiff neck. Problems in other organs. Signs of these problems may include: changes in eyesight; severe or persistent muscle or joint pains; severe muscle weakness; and chest pain.
Additional serious side effects observed during a separate study of YERVOY alone include: Nerve problems that can lead to paralysis. Symptoms of nerve problems may include: unusual weakness of legs, arms, or face; and numbness or tingling in hands or feet. Eye problems.Symptoms may include: blurry vision, double vision, or other vision problems; and eye pain or redness.
Get medical help immediatelyif you develop any of these symptoms or they get worse. It may keep these problems from becoming more serious. Your healthcare team will check you for side effects during treatment and may treat you with corticosteroid or hormone replacement medicines. If you have a serious side effect, your healthcare team may also need to delay or completely stop your treatment.
OPDIVO and OPDIVO + YERVOY can cause serious side effects, including: Severe infusion reactions. Tell your doctor or nurse right away if you get these symptoms during an infusion: chills or shaking; itching or rash; flushing; difficulty breathing; dizziness; fever; and feeling like passing out.Graft-versus-host disease, a complication that can happen after receiving a bone marrow (stem cell) transplant that uses donor stem cells (allogeneic), may be severe, and can lead to death, if you receive YERVOY either before or after transplant. Your healthcare provider will monitor you for the following signs and symptoms: skin rash, liver inflammation, stomach-area (abdominal) pain, and diarrhea.
Pregnancy and Nursing: Tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. OPDIVO and YERVOY can harm your unborn baby. If you are a female who is able to become pregnant, your healthcare provider should do a pregnancy test before you start receiving OPDIVO. Females who are able to become pregnant should use an effective method of birth control duringtreatmentand for at least 5 months after the last dose. Talk to your healthcare provider about birth control methods that you can use during this time. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you become pregnant or think you are pregnant during treatment. You or your healthcare provider should contact Bristol Myers Squibb at 1-800-721-5072 as soon as you become aware of the pregnancy. Pregnancy Safety Surveillance Study: Females who become pregnant during treatment with YERVOY are encouraged to enroll in a Pregnancy Safety Surveillance Study. The purpose of this study is to collect information about the health of you and your baby. You or your healthcare provider can enroll in the Pregnancy Safety Surveillance Study by calling 1-844-593-7869. Before receiving treatment, tell your healthcare provider if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if either treatment passes into your breast milk. Do not breastfeed during treatment and for 5 months after the last dose.
Tell your healthcare provider about: Your health problems or concerns if you: have immune system problems such as autoimmune disease, Crohns disease, ulcerative colitis, lupus, or sarcoidosis; have had an organ transplant; have lung or breathing problems; have liver problems; or have any other medical conditions. All the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
The most common side effects of OPDIVO, when used in combination with YERVOY, include: feeling tired; diarrhea; rash; itching; nausea; pain in muscles, bones, and joints; fever; cough; decreased appetite; vomiting; stomach-area (abdominal) pain; shortness of breath; upper respiratory tract infection;headache; low thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism); decreased weight; and dizziness.
These are not all the possible side effects. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit http://www.fda.gov/medwatchor call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Please see U.S. Full Prescribing Information and Medication Guide forOPDIVO and YERVOY.
2020 Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
OPDIVO and YERVOY are registered trademarks of Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market: Chemically Defined Mediums Adaptation to Boost Market Growth - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Stem cells, like Rosh Hashanah, give the opportunity to be reborn - The Jerusalem Post - September 15th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market to witness astonishing growth by 2026 | AbbVie, The Merck KGaA Group, Bionomics, Lonza Group - The PRNews Pulse - September 15th, 2020
- LAVA Therapeutics, Amsterdam UMC and Monash University Announce Publication of a Novel Cancer Immunotherapy Approach in Nature Cancer - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To 2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Phase 3 TOURMALINE-MM2 Study Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in Treating Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - September 15th, 2020
- GlycoT Therapeutics Grants Sublicense of Glycoengineering Technology to Daiichi Sankyo - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Global (North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Latin America and the Asia Pacific) Market Status and... - August 29th, 2020
- Fighting Disease with Developments to Stem Cell Research - News-Medical.net - August 29th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Red & Black Student... - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2029 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Radiation Therapy on Survivors of Pediatric Abdominal and Pelvic Tumors - Cancer Network - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals all after doctors gave him blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cell t - The Irish Sun - August 29th, 2020
- First Woman May Be Cured of HIV Without a Bone Marrow Transplant - POZ - August 29th, 2020
- Sterile Filtration Market To Reach USD 8.48 Billion By 2027 | CAGR: 7.7% | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2025 - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Success in Developing a Stem Cell Lentiviral Gene Therapy for Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) - PRNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Top Industry Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., AbbVie, Inc., Merck KGaA, Bionomics, Lonza, Stemline... - August 25th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Outlook, Share, Growth Analysis, Trends and top manufacture like Cellular Dynamics... - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 - The Baytown Sun - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapies Market on a Steady Growth Trail; Future Market Insights Provides Projections in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic in its New... - August 25th, 2020
- Longevity And Anti-Senescence Therapy Market Latest Advancements And Industry Outlook 2018 To 2023 - The News Brok - August 25th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market: What to Expect from Industry in 2020? - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- North America ultra-low temperature freezer market is anticipated to reach US$ 313.19 million in 2027 from US$ 220.25 million in 2019 - GlobeNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Identifies Novel Mechanism of Action of AmnioStem Adult Stem Cell Product in Stroke - BioSpace - August 20th, 2020
- Stanford Children's Health Appoints New Chief of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, Stem Cell Transplantation, and Regenerative Medicine - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Get First-Ever Look at a Rare but Vital Stem Cell in Humans - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2020
- OU professor awarded $550,178 grant by National Science Foundation - College of Arts and Sciences - 2020 - News - OU Magazine - News at OU - August 20th, 2020
- Israelis and Emiratis to develop COVID-19 stem-cell therapy - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - August 20th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market 2020-2025: The Potential of Stem Cell Therapy in Nerve Repair and Regeneration Fuels Opportunity -... - August 20th, 2020
- Shielded Stem Cells Improve The Cells' Ability To Heal Heart Injuries - Interesting Engineering - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Beating Growth Expectations- MEDIPOST, BIOTIME, BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics, Caladrius, JCR Pharmaceuticals, AlloSource -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ivan Volschenk | The Voice of Business on 2020 Propositions - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose... - August 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Trends, Growth Insight, Leaders, Services and Forecast to 2025 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers find method to regrow cartilage in the joints - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 19th, 2020
- Israel and UAE team up on stem cell therapy research for COVID-19 - UPI News - August 19th, 2020
- Latest News 2020: Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market by Coronavirus-COVID19 Impact Analysis With Top Manufacturers Analysis | Top Players: Anika... - August 19th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market Expected to Expand at a CAGR of 14.1% during 2018-2027 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Research Report 2020 Obervational Studies with Top Manufacturers like Athersys,... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Emerging Trends, Strong Application Scope, Size, Status, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 - Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Research Report by Technology, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 16th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Focusing on Growth, Demand & Scope by 2026| Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - August 16th, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2018 2026 - Scientect - August 16th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire - August 16th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Gain Momentum among Stem Cell Research Institutes Due to Cost-effectiveness and Quality They Offer - TMR Research Blog - August 14th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Summary, Trends, Sizing Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - National Post - August 14th, 2020
- Global Totipotent Stem Cell Market Insights And Extensive Research (2020-2025) | Company A - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- Future of Cancer Stem Cell Reviewed in a New Study Owned - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- US FDA Advisory Committee Votes Nine to One in Favor of Remestemcel-L (Ryoncil) for Efficacy in Children With Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft Versus... - August 14th, 2020
- Global and United States Epithelial Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High... - August 14th, 2020
- Biological Safety Testing Market: Segment of Reagents and Kits to Witness Promising Growth Due to Introduction of Innovative Technologies - BioSpace - August 14th, 2020
- Cell Sorting Market Research Report by Technology, by Offering, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19... - August 14th, 2020
- California Propositions on the 2020 Ballot - Fullerton Observer - August 13th, 2020
- Experimental COVID treatment may have saved man's life - 10News - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 13th, 2020
- Drug development for severe respiratory diseases supported with $3.9 million grant - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - August 13th, 2020
- Jasper Therapeutics Strengthens Management Team with Appointment of Biopharma Industry Executive Kevin N. Heller, M.D., as Executive Vice President,... - August 13th, 2020
- Training neural circuits early in development improves response, study finds - University of Illinois News - August 13th, 2020
- Microcarrier Bioreactor Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Danaher, BD - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Technologies Market Research Report by Product, by Process, by Cell Type, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors -... - August 13th, 2020
- High-throughput 3D screening for differentiation of hPSC-derived cell therapy candidates - Science Advances - August 7th, 2020
- Study: Early training of cell development and network improves response - News-Medical.Net - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Report PDF 2020 Key Players Advanced... - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- New Research Sheds Light on the Temporary Loss of Smell Stemming from COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 7th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Equipment Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 7th, 2020
- With over 280 therapies under evaluation, the stem cell therapy market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 2029 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020