image:Engineered Drug Delivery of Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Therapy. (Left) IV infusion of MSCs is limited by low bioavailability. (Right) By incorporating MSCs into an ex vivo blood-contacting device, their bioavailability is enhanced and the release of immunomodulatory factors directly into the bloodstream can be controlled. view more
Credit: AlphaMed Press
Durham, NC Scientists are reporting promising results in the early stages of a clinical trial designed to gauge the feasibility of a new type of treatment for people with acute kidney disease. Released in STEM CELLS Translational Medicine, the study shows how mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) delivered using a new ex vivo drug delivery system SBI-101 can keep MSCs viable longer and reprogram the peripheral immune response toward organ repair.
Acute kidney disease occurs when a kidney is suddenly unable to do its job of filtering blood and allows dangerous levels of waste to accumulate. The most severe cases require dialysis or a kidney transplant. Unfortunately, dialysis-dependent acute kidney injury has a mortality rate as high as 50 to 70 percent.
Inflammation is a key driver behind this. In critical illnesses inflammation mediators become dysregulated, driving a cytokine storm leading to a vicious cycle of immunity that further damages the kidney and other organs. Current treatments fail to broadly address these underlying inflammatory processes.
Rebalancing the inflammatory response with a cell immunotherapy may offer a multifaceted approach to break the cycle and restore organ function after severe injury, explained the studys corresponding author, Biju Parekkadan, Ph.D., the scientific co-founder of Sentien Biotechnologies, Inc., in Lexington, Mass. Sentien executed its first-in-human study by working with several centers across the United States to test its SBI-101 product in a Phase 1b clinical trial.
MSCs secrete several types of molecules that modulate an immune cells response to inflammation and therefore have great potential for use in regenerative medicine. However, MSCs administered the conventional intravenous way are generally filtered out in the lungs and undetectable in the body soon after administration. Given this rapid clearance, they may not be able to match the dose needed to durably impact a systemic immune response, Dr. Parekkadan said.
This pharmacological insight has led to the search for a more efficient method of delivering MSCs. The innovation of SBI-101 therapy is the combination of off-the-shelf MSCs and an FDA-approved blood filtration device to improve and control the exposure to MSCs. This design allows for the patients blood to be reprogrammed outside the body, in a device housing MSCs, thereby maintaining their viability for the duration of treatment.
In effect, SBI-101 behaves as tissue of MSCs that works outside the body to sense inflammation in the patients bloodstream and respond with a natural mixture of growth factors, cytokines and chemokines to normalize immune signaling and function, Dr. Parekkadan explained.
The Phase 1 trial reported on in SCTM was designed to test the safety, tolerability and pharmacology of SBI-101 in adults with life-threatening kidney failure who were already receiving dialysis. Sixteen patients were recruited for the study. Twelve were treated with SBI-101, along with their standard continuous renal replacement therapy (CCRT) regimen, while four received a sham SBI-101 along with CRRT. The treatment period lasted for at least 12 hours, and up to 24. (CCRT is a slower form of dialysis that puts less stress on the heart. Treatment generally lasts 24 hours, versus the four hours of conventional dialysis routines.)
Assessments were then taken in intervals over a 28-day period after treatment. They showed that MSCs were viable for the 24-hour dose by measured secreted factor levels, verifying a longer duration of therapy than intravenous routes have shown. Moreover, SBI-101 promoted an immunotherapeutic response that was associated with a reduction in kidney injury by measuring surrogate biomarkers. No serious adverse effects related to SBI-101 were seen.
These early results suggest that SBI-101 can impact a peripheral immune response that can be transmitted to local tissue damage in vital organs, including the kidney. This important first step lays a foundation to study how this immunotherapy can impact patient outcomes in larger patient trials, Dr. Parekkadan concluded.
"This study highlights a potential clinical approach that could change the outcome for patients who suffer acute kidney injury and are dialysis dependent, said Anthony Atala, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of STEM CELLS Translational Medicine and Director of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine. These clinical trial results highlight the healing potential of mesenchymal stem cells and warrant further study.
The full article, Pharmacological Effects of Ex Vivo MSC Immunotherapy in Patients with Acute Kidney Injury and Underlying Systemic Inflammation, can be accessed at https://stemcellsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/sctm.21-0043.
About STEM CELLS Translational Medicine: STEM CELLS Translational Medicine (SCTM), co-published by AlphaMed Press and Wiley, is a monthly peer-reviewed publication dedicated to significantly advancing the clinical utilization of stem cell molecular and cellular biology. By bridging stem cell research and clinical trials, SCTM will help move applications of these critical investigations closer to accepted best practices. SCTM is the official journal partner of Regenerative Medicine Foundation.
About AlphaMed Press: Established in 1983, AlphaMed Press with offices in Durham, NC, San Francisco, CA, and Belfast, Northern Ireland, publishes two other internationally renowned peer-reviewed journals: STEM CELLS (http://www.StemCells.com), celebrating its 39th year, is the world's first journal devoted to this fast paced field of research. The Oncologist (http://www.TheOncologist.com), also a monthly peer-reviewed publication, entering its 26th year, is devoted to community and hospital-based oncologists and physicians entrusted with cancer patient care. All three journals are premier periodicals with globally recognized editorial boards dedicated to advancing knowledge and education in their focused disciplines.
About Wiley: Wiley, a global company, helps people and organizations develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. Our online scientific, technical, medical and scholarly journals, combined with our digital learning, assessment and certification solutions, help universities, learned societies, businesses, governments and individuals increase the academic and professional impact of their work. For more than 200 years, we have delivered consistent performance to our stakeholders. The company's website can be accessed at http://www.wiley.com.
About Regenerative Medicine Foundation (RMF): The non-profit Regenerative Medicine Foundation fosters strategic collaborations to accelerate the development of regenerative medicine to improve health and deliver cures. RMF pursues its mission by producing its flagship World Stem Cell Summit, honouring leaders through the Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Action Awards, and promoting educational initiatives.
Stem Cells Translational Medicine
Randomized controlled/clinical trial
Pharmacological effects of ex vivo mesenchymal stem cell immunotherapy in patients with acute kidney injury and underlying systemic inflammation
Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert system.
- Heterogeneous expression of ACE2 and TMPRRS2 in mesenchymal stromal cells - DocWire News - November 27th, 2021
- American CryoStem Announces the Addition of John Schwartz, PhD to Its Advisory Board - Stockhouse - November 24th, 2021
- KU holds session on dynamics of health and research | The Academia - The Academia Mag - November 22nd, 2021
- Dutch stem cell biotech Neuroplast secures 10 million (US$ 11.5 million) in Series B funding to further advance its transformative stem cell therapy... - November 18th, 2021
- Direct Biologics, LLC Announces One Year Follow Up of Pilot Safety Study of ExoFlo for Treatment of Osteoarthritis in Combat-Related Injuries - Yahoo... - November 18th, 2021
- Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound Promotes Osteogenic Differentiation of Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator Graft-Derived Cells in Vitro - DocWire News - November 18th, 2021
- BRAINSTORM CELL THERAPEUTICS INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) -... - November 16th, 2021
- Nerve Repair with Help From Stem Cells | University of Pennsylvania Almanac - UPENN Almanac - November 9th, 2021
- Potential roles of mesenchymal stem cells and their exosomes in the treatment of COVID-19 - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Exosomal miR-21-5p derived from bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells promote osteosarcoma cell proliferation and invasion by targeting PIK3R1 - DocWire... - November 7th, 2021
- Engineered Small Extracellular Vesicles as a FGL1/PD-L1 Dual-Targeting Delivery System for Alleviating Immune Rejection - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Expands Management Team with Appointment of Kelly Creighton, PhD as Executive Vice President of Chemistry, Manufacturing and... - November 5th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - KEVN Black Hills... - November 3rd, 2021
- Erratum for the article The long-term fate of mesenchymal stem cells l | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 2021 Leading Strategies and Growth Status to 2027 Merck KGaA, Celprogen, Creative Bioarray, Thermo... - November 3rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Implementation of Reverse Stock Split in Preparation for Planned Uplisting to Nasdaq - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Aiming for Global CDMO, Xcell Therapeutics opens an export route to 62 countries with cell therapy culture technology. - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Skeletal Muscle Regeneration by the Exosomes of Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells - DocWire News - October 28th, 2021
- Novel Stem Cell Therapy Approach Proves Effective in Treating COVID-19 - Asharq Al-awsat - English - October 28th, 2021
- Completion of Enrollment in Phase III Comparative Study for Investigational Regenerative Cellular Medicine (gMSC1) for Knee Chondrogenesis Using... - October 28th, 2021
- Managing superficial pyoderma with light therapy - DVM 360 - October 28th, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Prospects, Upcoming Trends and Competitive Outlook till 2028 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC,... - October 26th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics Provides Third Quarter 2021 Business Update - GlobeNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Nomination of Two New Members to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - October 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | What Is The Estimated Market Size In The Upcoming Years? | key players- Osiris Therapeutics, Inc, Pharmicell, Cynata,... - October 26th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Is Rapidly Increasing, Know The Key Reasons Behind The Growth | Key Players Lonza,Thermo Fisher,Bio-Techne. -... - October 21st, 2021
- Single Lgr5 stem cells build crypt-villus structures in ... - October 21st, 2021
- Kartogenin Promotes the BMSCs Chondrogenic Differentiation in Osteoarthritis by Down-Regulation of miR-145-5p Targeting Smad4 Pathway - DocWire News - October 21st, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2021 Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2027 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC IMIESA - IMIESA - October 19th, 2021
- Cellular Therapy in Oncology Market Latest Trends, Demands and Growing Business Opportunities 2017 to 2025 | TMR - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- Angiogenic effects of cell therapy within a biomaterial scaffold in a rat hind limb ischemia model - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 15th, 2021
- Chitosan hydrogel/3D-printed poly(caprolactone) hybrid ... - October 15th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cells and COVID-19: What they do and what they can do - DocWire News - October 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 15th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to Host Investor Webcast to Discuss the Acquisition of Late Phase 3 Cancer Immunotherapy I/ONTAK (E7777) - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2021
- Stem cell population identified that is key for bone regeneration - EurekAlert - October 9th, 2021
- Nerve repair, with help from stem cells | Penn Today - Penn Today - October 9th, 2021
- Researchers identify a stem cell population with enhanced fracture healing and differentiation abilities - News-Medical.net - October 9th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market is estimated to Rise Profitably during the Foreseeable Future - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cells and their role in lung transplant rejection - Michigan Medicine - October 7th, 2021
- Knockdown of mesenchymal stem cellderived exosomal LOC100129516 suppresses the symptoms of atherosclerosis via upregulation of the PPAR/LXR/ABCA1... - October 7th, 2021
- Germany Approves Novel Cell Therapy Extracted from Skin - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - KKCO-TV - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - StreetInsider.com - October 3rd, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021
- CBMG Holdings Completes $120 Million in Series A Funding, Accelerating Development of CAR-T Therapy Pipelines and R&D for Innovative Solid Tumor... - October 2nd, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics signs research partnership with Implant - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2021
- Combination of Antioxidant Enzyme Overexpression and N-Acetylcysteine Treatment Enhances the Survival of Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in... - September 29th, 2021
- Global Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Size, Share, Growth and Regional Analysis by Segmentation and Country Forecast to 2028 - Digital... - September 29th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for multiple sclerosis: Explanation and safety - Medical News Today - September 29th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics in iPSC research partnership - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 29th, 2021
- New Report On Exosome Therapeutic Market Global Trends and Demand 2021 to 2027 | Avalon Globocare Corp, CREATIVE MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY HOLDINGS INC, Stem... - September 25th, 2021
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2021 Analysis by Latest COVID19 Impact with Market Positioning of Key Vendors Profile Stillwater Current - Stillwater... - September 25th, 2021
- Ex vivo stem cell treatment a promising therapy against MRSA - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2021
- Comparative assessment of proliferation and immunomodulatory potential of Hypericum perforatum plant and callus extracts on mesenchymal stem cells... - September 14th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR during 2021-2031; - PharmiWeb.com - September 10th, 2021
- Anti-inflammatory Effects of Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Their Secretomes in Pneumonia - DocWire News - September 10th, 2021
- A therapeutic convectionenhanced macroencapsulation device for enhancing cell viability and insulin secretion - pnas.org - September 10th, 2021
- Tech Moguls Splash Cash on Anti-Aging Tech - Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute - September 7th, 2021
- MeaTech Announces Filing of Provisional Patent Application for Differentiation of Stem Cells to Produce Cultured Fat - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2021
- Retraction for the article A novel bispecific immunotoxin delivered by | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - September 2nd, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Technology Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 1st, 2021
- Athersys Shares Are Ready To Rumble Following Period Of Turmoil - Seeking Alpha - September 1st, 2021
- LifeNet Health features best-in-class orthobiologic solutions at AAOS Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- Corrigendum for the article Overexpression of HOXB4 Promotes Protectio | JIR - Dove Medical Press - August 30th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells and Their Derivates in Acute Diseases: Emergency in the Post-COVID-19 Times - DocWire News - August 28th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Analysis, Growth, Gross Margin Analysis, Key Vendors, Shares, Drivers And Forecast UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 28th, 2021
- Human Bone Marrow-derived Mononuclear Cells and Their Applications - PharmiWeb.com - August 28th, 2021
- Dad with multiple sclerosis who fought for treatment in Panama during Covid restrictions finds first round is 'reaping rewards' - South West Londoner - August 25th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cell-based therapy and exosomes in COVID-19: current trends and prospects - DocWire News - August 23rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Awarded One of Top 10 Spine Device Companies by MedTech Outlook - OrthoSpineNews - August 23rd, 2021
- New Experiment on Mice Reveals a System for Burning Deep Stored Fat - Nature World News - August 23rd, 2021
- Extracellular vesicles, stem cells and the role of miRNAs in neurodegeneration - DocWire News - August 22nd, 2021
- GC wins regulatory nod for trials of psoriasis therapy - Korea Biomedical Review - August 20th, 2021
- Five Innovations in Cell-Based Therapy - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2021