Gitte Jensen, PhD, is the principal of NIS Labs, a contract research organization based in Klamath Falls, OR. For several decades, starting with a postdoc stint at the Cross Cancer Institute at the University of Alberta, then running her own lab at McGill University in Montreal and at NIS Labs, which she founded in 1999, Jensen has studied how the human body activates and employs stem cells. These initially undifferentiated cells are the foundation of the bodys repair machinery and also play a key role in a healthy immune system response.
Jensen has done research which has explored the effects of compounds found in microalgae. As it turns out, Upper Klamath Lake, which abuts the city of Klamath Falls, plays host every year to abundant blooms of a particular strain of blue green algae long touted for its health benefits. Jensens expertise in algae research has also been employed in the study of astaxanthin-rich Haematococcus pluvialis.
Recently Jensens attention has been focused on compounds found in sea buckthorn berries. Sea buckthorn is a thorny, perennial shrub native to many parts of Asia as well as Northwestern Europe. The best berries with the most bioactives are harvested in various high altitude locations in the Himalayan region.
The plant has long been revered for its medicinal properties. Legend has it that during his push into Asia Alexander the Great released horses injured in battle to fare as they might in an area with many of the shrubs. The horses not only survived but prospered and when the Greeks next looked in on them they found a herd notable for their shiny coats, an outward sign of health. Thus the name of the plant: Hippophae, which combines the Greek words for horse and shiny.
Similar legends hold that Genghis Khan instructed his troops to carry the berries to speed recovery from war wounds. Jensen said the berries of the plant have been an ingredient in Chinese, Tibetan and Mongolian herbal medicine traditions for more than a thousand years.
Jensen conducted a small scale, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study to look into how the proanthocyanidins found in the berry affected stem cell activation. The study was published last year in the journal Clinical Interventions in Aging. The study recruited 12 subjects, eight women and four men, who ranged in age an in body composition from slender to borderline obese. The subjects consumed 500 mg of a proanthocyanidin-rich sea buckthorn extract or a placebo at two separate visits to the testing facility. Subjects remained calm and at rest for three hours during the administration of the test material (or the placebo). Blood was drawn at one hour for a baseline measurement, and then one hour and two hours after ingestion of the test material. Participants were also screened for confounding factors such as a high state of anxiety or being short on sleep, which could have skewed the results, in which case visits were rescheduled.
Jensen and her co authors found that the sea buckthorn extract significantly increased the level of some specific endothelial stem cells, but not others. The CD45dim CD34+ CD309- cells, CD45dim CD34+ CD309+ cells, and the CD45- CD31+ CD309+ endothelial stem cells showed significant mobilization above placebo within 2 hours, they wrote.
Regardless of the stem cell type, just having more has been shown to be important, Jensen and her coauthors stated. While pluripotential stems cells are the most important type, there are indications that other kinds of stem cellsendothelial, mesenchymal, and hematopoieticcan revert to the pluripotential state and be available for additional repair processes.
When the number of circulating endothelial progenitor cells was quantified in the blood of 509 individuals at risk for cardiovascular disease and the incidence of cardiovascular events in these individuals was monitored for 1 year, a significantly greater number of events took place in the individuals having fewer circulating stem cells, they said.
By documenting the ability of SBB-PE (sea buckthorn berries proanthycyanidin-rich extract) to support stem cell mobilization and to increase the number of circulating stem cells, we have uncovered a new mechanism of action behind many of the health benefits that have been historically associated with SBB, they concluded.
Jensen said looking more closely at stem cell activation could change how researchers design their studies and help bring forth more trials that show significant results because there is a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms of action.
When we look at plants that have health properties, we look at whether an underlying protective mechanism might be at work. Every time you take a concentrated dose of sea buckthorn extract you make a concerted effortto boost the number of stem cells in your circulation. You kick them into action to go in search of things that need repair, Jensen said.
Jensen said future avenues of research could delver deeper into how this rapid mobilization of stem cells takes place. She said its quite likely that the gut/brain connection is involved, as stem cell levels start to rise before significant amounts of the contents of the berry extract could be digested and cross the blood/gut barrier.
If you are consuming a natural product that works fast it is likely due ot a signal from the gut to the brain likely because of the vagus nerve or other pathways, she said.
Im advocating for a deeper understandingin our industryhow the many natural products we are working with are tapping into and supportingnatural physiological processes, Jensen said.
Source: Clinical Interventions in AgingDOI: 10.2147/CIA.S186893Rapid and Selective Mobilization of Specific Stem Cell Types After Consumption of a Polyphenol-Rich Extract From Sea Buckthorn Berries ( Hippophae) in Healthy Human SubjectsAuthors: Drapeau C, Benson KF, Jensen GS
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- IHS Pets: Bringing Cell And Gene Therapy To Cats, Dogs & Horses - Anti Aging News - July 4th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Jim Schoeneck, Accomplished Biotech Executive, to Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - July 4th, 2020
- Biology of Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Bentham Science - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Skeletal Regeneration ... - July 1st, 2020
- Amniotic Membranes Market is Projected to Expand at a CAGR of ~10% From 2019 to 2027 - Science Examiner - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 Projections, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Companies Strategies and Forecast 2024 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher,... - July 1st, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 30th, 2020
- Amniotic Membrane Market by Product, Application and Forecast to 2027 TMR - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Global ? How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in recent years? - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market Size, 2020-New Technological Change Helping Market, Application, Driver, - PharmiWeb.com - June 30th, 2020
- Research on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: PromoCell, ThermoFisher, KURABO, Merck, and - 3rd Watch... - June 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Size, Share, Progress Insight, Share, Trends, Industry Key Players-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And... - June 23rd, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020 Opportunity Ahead of Earnings with evox THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United Therapeutics... - June 23rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020 - Owned - June 19th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Regional Analysis, key Drivers and Restraints, by Product, Top Players and Forecast Analysis 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - June 19th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - 3rd Watch News - June 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy Options for Horses With Osteoarthritis - TheHorse.com - June 14th, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - P&T Community - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Therapeutics: The Leading Contenders - Seeking Alpha - June 6th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics, ImStem Biotechnology sign non-binding letter of intent regarding investigational MSC candidate IMS001 for Covid-19 - Pharmaceutical... - June 3rd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 3rd, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - PRNewswire - June 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (ASX:MSB) reveals promising trial results for lung disease treatment - The Market Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Photoaged Skin Therapy with Adipose-Derived Stem Cells - MedicalResearch.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Intravenously Delivered Mesenchymal Stem Cells Prevent Microvascular Obstruction Formation After Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury - DocWire News - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities,... - June 2nd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Primary Cells Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Bandera County Courier - June 2nd, 2020
- Could Cell Therapy Target the Symptoms of Severe... - Labiotech.eu - May 25th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: ASCO Presentations In The Spotlight - Yahoo Finance - May 25th, 2020
- In situ repair abilities of human umbilical cordderived mesenchymal stem cells and autocrosslinked hyaluronic acid gel complex in rhesus monkeys with... - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Be The Match BioTherapies and NantKwest Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Cell Therapy to Prevent COVID-19 Deaths - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAG - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microencapsulated Omega3 Powder Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Diaries: A Covid scientist on the hunt for a cure, and a GP on what doctors need to learn - Financial Times - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 14th, 2020
- AMC to use stem cell therapy in treating graft-versus-host disease - Korea Biomedical Review - May 7th, 2020
- 5 Stem Cell Companies Racing Towards COVID-19 ARDS Therapy - Seeking Alpha - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves AstraZeneca's Farxiga for Heart Failure in Adults with Reduced Ejection Fraction - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- Pass the MUST-ARDS: Athersys starts pivotal study for stem cells to treat COVID-19-induced ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 7th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 5th, 2020
- Frontiers | Senescence in Mesenchymal Stem Cells ... - May 5th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Properties, Process, Functions ... - May 5th, 2020
- Pipeline: Immunotherapies and Other Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Expected to Witness the Highest Grow - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - May 5th, 2020
- Targeted pathological collagen delivery of sustained-release rapamycin to prevent heterotopic ossification - Science Advances - April 30th, 2020
- Biopharmas work to wallop COVID-19 respiratory effects, keeping patients off ventilators - BioWorld Online - April 30th, 2020
- EMA warns against unproven therapies - English - Agenzia ANSA - April 30th, 2020
- US FDA Allows Trial to Proceed for Retrotopes RT001 in the Treatment of Progressive SupraNuclear Palsy (PSP) - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows 83% survival of Coronavirus patients on ventilators - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells: The 'Other' Bone Marrow Stem Cells - April 24th, 2020
- The Dual Nature of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs): Yin and ... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal - Stemcell Technologies - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Outlook with a Focus on Clinical Therapies 2020-2030: Types of Stem Cells, Route of Administration, Therapeutic Areas, End-users,... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for ... - April 24th, 2020
- Researchers turn to stem cells in COVID-19 battle How does the treatment work and does it pose any risk? - Times Now - April 24th, 2020