Diabetes poses one of the key risk factors for developing severe COVID-19, and chances of dying are elevated in people with diabetes. Now, there is growing evidence that novel coronavirus might actually be triggering diabetes in some people who have so far remained free of it. These patients typically develop type-1 diabetes. The virus seems to be causing diabetes spontaneously in people.
These patients typically develop type-1 diabetes, which is caused when the bodys immune system plays rogue and begins to attack and destroy the beta cells, which produce the hormone insulin in the pancreas. With the destruction of beta cells, the amount of insulin produced is reduced, and hence, the ability of the body to control blood sugar is compromised leading to type-1 diabetes.
The 2002 SARS coronavirus, too, caused acute-onset diabetes in patients. Like the 2002 SARS coronavirus, the SARS-CoV-2 virus, too, binds to ACE2 receptors that are found on many organs involved in controlling blood sugar, including the liver and pancreatic beta cells, and subsequently infects the cells in the organs.
In a letter published in The New England Journal of Medicine, the researchers write: There is a bidirectional relationship between COVID-19 and diabetes. On the one hand, diabetes is associated with an increased risk of severe COVID-19. On the other hand, new-onset diabetes and severe metabolic complications of preexisting diabetes have been observed in patients with COVID-19.
However, more evidence is needed to conclusively prove that COVID-19 indeed causes type-1 diabetes. It is also not clear if the acute-onset diabetes in COVID-19 patients will be permanent or transient. The is no clarity whether people who are borderline type-2 develop the disease.
The COVID-19 patients who develop diabetes have extremely high levels of blood sugar and ketones. When there is insufficient insulin produced, breaking down the sugar present in the blood is compromised leading to high levels of sugar. At the same time, the body begins to turn to alternative sources of fuel, which in this case are ketones. A study found 42 of 658 patients presented with ketosis on admission. Patients with ketosis were younger (median age 47). Ketosis increased the length of hospital stay and mortality, the researchers found.
Using human pluripotent stem cells, researchers grew miniature liver and pancreas and found that both the organs were permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection. In particular, they found the pancreatic beta cells were infected by coronavirus. ACE2 is expressed in human adult alpha and beta cells. While the beta cells produce insulin which reduces the sugar level in the blood, the alpha cells produce glucagon, which increases the blood sugar. A fine balance between the two helps maintain the blood sugar level.
The researchers transplanted the miniature pancreatic endocrine cells produced using human stem cells into mice. Two months later, they examined the xenografted pancreas and found ACE2 receptors on beta and alpha cells. When the mice were infected with coronavirus, they found the beta cells were infected by the virus. Thus the virus is capable of damaging the cells that control blood sugar thus triggering acute-onset of type-1 diabetes.
According to Nature News, a global database to collect information on people with COVID-19 and high blood-sugar levels who previously do not have a history of elevated blood sugar levels has been initiated. The researchers hope to use the cases to understand whether SARS-CoV-2 can induce type 1 diabetes or a new form of the disease, Nature News says. Researchers want to use the database to understand if the acute-onset diabetes is permanent and people who are borderline type-2 develop the disease.
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
Not convinced? Know why you should pay for news.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper ,crossword, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience.
See the rest here:
- India Stem Cell Market to 2026 by Product Type (Adult; Induced Pluripotent; Human Embryonic; Others), & Application (Regenerative Medicine Vs.... - November 28th, 2020
- Inflammation produced by bacterial infection 'alerts' the brain stem cells - News-Medical.net - November 28th, 2020
- Mechanisms of Telomere Protection Are Unique in Stem Cells - Technology Networks - November 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Cheshire Media - November 28th, 2020
- Commonly used antibiotic shows promise for combating Zika infections - National Institutes of Health - November 26th, 2020
- Researchers grow first plant-based gel to help organoid development for biomedical applications - Microbioz India - November 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - Salamanca Press - November 26th, 2020
- Mesoblast inks deal with Novartis to bring Covid stem-cell therapy to - The Pharma Letter - November 23rd, 2020
- Jakafi and Dacogen May Improve Overall Survival in Patients with MPN - Curetoday.com - November 23rd, 2020
- Asymmetrex Publishes the First Report of Immortal DNA Strands in Human Stem Cells - PR Web - November 18th, 2020
- Organoids mimic the early development of the heart in mouse embryos - BioNews - November 18th, 2020
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells do not express ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and are not permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Move Away From Insipidness, Reach US$ 218.2 Mn - PRnews Leader - November 14th, 2020
- Transcriptional priming as a conserved mechanism of lineage diversification in the developing mouse and human neocortex - Science Advances - November 8th, 2020
- CSL889 Designated as Orphan Drug in Europe and US for Treating... - Sickle Cell Anemia News - November 6th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the 62nd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition -... - November 6th, 2020
- Genmab Announces that Janssen has Submitted a Type II Variation Application to the European Medicines Agency for use of Subcutaneous DARZALEX... - November 6th, 2020
- Novel Targeted Drugs are Changing the Treatment of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - November 6th, 2020
- The Many Model Systems of COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - re:Jerusalem - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - re:Jerusalem - October 31st, 2020
- Somatic Mutations in UBA1 and Severe Adult-Onset Autoinflammatory Disease - DocWire News - October 31st, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Adult Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Engineering Stem Cells to Treat Bone Cancer - News-Medical.net - October 29th, 2020
- Rapid Reshore & Development and BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announce Agreement to Advance Construction of BrainStorm's US Manufacturing Facility... - October 29th, 2020
- APstem Therapeutics Announces Successful FDA INTERACT Meeting Regarding AP-Skin-01, an Off-the-Shelf Allogeneic Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of... - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the Competitors | (2020-2027) -... - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Future Development, Manufacturers, Trends, Share, Size And Forecast to 2027 |... - October 29th, 2020
- How Stem Cells Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, SWOT Analysis And Strategies -... - October 24th, 2020
- Orgenesis completes acquisition of Koligo Therapeutics and announces additional acquisition of Icellator(R) Technology from Tissue Genesis in related... - October 22nd, 2020
- What Is the Role of Allogeneic-SCT in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in the Era of Targeted Therapies? - Targeted Oncology - October 22nd, 2020
- British Society for Haematology Guideline Update for the Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia - Cancer Therapy Advisor - October 22nd, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Genmab Announces IFM, HOVON and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results in Second Part of Phase 3 CASSIOPEIA Study of Daratumumab in Multiple Myeloma... - October 22nd, 2020
- Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User, and Geography -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- J&J's Darzalex Proves Effective in Yet Another Multiple Myeloma Indication - BioSpace - October 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cells Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - Stock Market Vista - October 14th, 2020
- Human heart organoids provide unmatched insight into cardiac disease and dysfunction - BioWorld Online - October 14th, 2020
- The complicated story of Trump's COVID treatment, stem cells and abortion politics - Baptist News Global - October 12th, 2020
- Banking wisdom: Teen saving stem cells in hopes of future treatment - The Glen Rose Reporter - October 12th, 2020
- VERIFY: Was the antibody cocktail used to treat President Trump developed using human embryonic stem cells? - ABC10.com KXTV - October 12th, 2020
- A Uniquely Patient-Focused Take on Treating AML in Older Adults - Medscape - October 5th, 2020
- Here's how members of Congress voted Sept. 25 to Oct. 1 - The News-Messenger - October 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market will Hit Big Revenues in Future | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck - uco360.com - October 5th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics, Link Health and Pregene to develop and commercialize the ALLOB allogeneic bone cell therapy platform in China and Southeast Asia -... - October 5th, 2020
- Smith's 2005 stem cell law to be reauthorized by House - InsiderNJ - October 2nd, 2020
- Asymmetrex Presents the Value of Tissue Stem Cell Counting For Supplying Stem Cell Clinical Trials and Drug Development Clinical Trials - PR Web - October 2nd, 2020
- Mesoblast Receives Complete Response Letter From the FDA for Biologics License Application for Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft Versus Host Disease in... - October 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Unica News - September 29th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys to Host Investor Event to Discuss the Unmet Need and Global Opportunities for Tafasitamab in Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas - Business... - September 18th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a Way To Create Induced Tropoblast Stem Cells - Technology Networks - September 18th, 2020
- Chicken Biobank to cut numbers of birds for research - Poultry World - September 8th, 2020
- Keeping kids and adults alike healthy with Colostrum - North Coast Courier - September 8th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Growing Massively By 2020-2027 Major Players: Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - September 8th, 2020
- Study: Brain cells of people with autism differ even before theyre born - Study Finds - August 31st, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapies Continue to Raise the Bar in Lymphoma Management - OncLive - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Crohns Disease Treatment Market Unidentified Segments The Biggest Opportunity2018 2025 - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 25th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Janssen Granted U.S. FDA Approval for DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Carfilzomib and Dexamethasone in Relapsed or... - August 25th, 2020
- Steadman Philippon Research Institute receives prestigious matching grant from the National Institutes of Health - Vail Daily News - August 22nd, 2020
- Genmab Announces Janssen Granted U.S. FDA Approval for DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Carfilzomib and Dexamethasone in Relapsed or Refrac... - August 22nd, 2020
- Steadman Philippon Research Institute (SPRI) Receives Multi-Million-Dollar Matching Grant from the National Institutes of Health - StreetInsider.com - August 22nd, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2027 COVID-19 Pandemic Analysis and forecast to 2027 | Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation,... - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 16th, 2020
- Survivors of Pediatric Cancers May Experience Lasting Impact on Heart, Metabolic Health Following Radiation Therapy - Pharmacy Times - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Industry Outlook, Growth Prospects and Key Opportunities - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 14th, 2020
- This revolutionary new coronavirus cure is already saving lives - BGR - August 14th, 2020
- Cellular diversity of the regenerating caudal fin - Science Advances - August 14th, 2020
- TG Therapeutics Umbralisib Development, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - August 14th, 2020
- Salles Speaks to the Potential Benefit of the Tafasitamab Combo in the R/R DLBCL Setting - Targeted Oncology - August 11th, 2020
- Researcher is exploring safer and more effective treatment for leukemia - News-Medical.Net - August 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Bulletin Line - August 9th, 2020
- FDA Approves Tafasitamab-cxix in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of DLBCL - Pharmacy Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Genmab (GMAB) Announces European Myeloma Network and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results from Phase 3 APOLLO Study of Daratumumab in Combination... - August 1st, 2020
- 'Self-eating' stem cell process may be the key to new regenerative therapies - Penn Today - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth Drive by the Rising Diversity of Applications - BioSpace - July 28th, 2020
- Potential COVID-19 cell therapy treatments in development - BioWorld Online - July 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Second Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate and R&D Update - PRNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife - Owned - July 28th, 2020