A series of new mouse experiments has uncovered a crucial method by which the brain and immune system interact to destroy deep visceral fat reserves.
While the findings are limited to mice, the authors are hopeful that the system may extend to other animals, including humans.
The yellow fat that surrounds the abdominal organs is known as visceral or 'deep' fat.
(Photo : Photo by Kanashi on Unsplash)
Its presence, like that of most other types of fat, is necessary for the body's basic processes to work properly, but too much of it can lead to health problems such as heart disease and cancer.
Understanding how it accumulates might one day aid in the fight against obesity and obesity-related diseases in people, but the process is extremely complex.
Scientists have recently begun to speculate that the brain and immune systems collaborate to regulate visceral fat. This deep yellow matter not only comprises nerve fibers but also immune cells. However, it is difficult to pinpoint how they communicate.
Deep fat surrounding the lung is regulated by signals between neurons and immune cells, according to earlier lab work by these researchers, but no such connection was discovered when they looked at deep fat around the ovaries and testes of mice.
What was formerly considered to be a bystander in the cell, has now been discovered to be a crucial mediator. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) were completely disregarded by scientists until recently.
"The widespread view was that they mainly produced the scaffolding of the tissue, over which other cells would 'do the work'. However, scientists have since discovered that MSCs carry out multiple essential active roles," according to Henrique Veiga-Fernandes, an immunologist at the Champalimaud Center.
When mesenchymal cells in mice's deep fat were burnt away, neighboring immune cells known as type 2 innate lymphoid cells (ILC2) ceased controlling fat growth.
Researchers inserted a luminous retrovirus into mouse neurons to track the nerves that innervate MSCs back to their original source. The peripheral messages received by visceral fat seemed to originate in distinct regions of the brain stem, midbrain, amygdala, and hypothalamus in the end.
The scientists suggest that the nucleus of the hypothalamus is a 'central hub' for fat regulation, given how essential it appears to be in controlling the body's metabolism. Messages are transmitted from here to immune cells in deep fat to maintain energy balance throughout the body.
These brain signals appear to travel straight to ILC2s for visceral fat surrounding the lungs. However, it appears that before they can be delivered to adjacent immune cells that regulate fat metabolism, they must first be 'translated' by MSCs in the gonads.
According to Veiga-Fernandes, the discovery is the first unambiguous evidence of a body-brain circuit that tells immune cells to burn fat, and it has scientists hoping that one day we may be able to duplicate the process to regulate deep fat deposits in people with particularly dangerous amounts.
Also read: Mammals Living Near Cities Are Getting Bigger, Scientists Blame Human Activities
There is still a lot we do not know regarding ILC2s and how they regulate visceral fat, but the fact that we now understand where they acquire their information is a solid start.
In the future, researchers aim to figure out what causes the hypothalamic nucleus to transmit fat-burning impulses to different areas of the body in the first place. It is also worth investigating why certain visceral fat stores have ILC2s that can be directly innervated by the sympathetic nervous system, whereas others require MSCs as translators.
Also read: People May Get Meaner and More Violent Due to Hot Temperatures, New Research Says
2021 NatureWorldNews.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
See the original post:
- Heterogeneous expression of ACE2 and TMPRRS2 in mesenchymal stromal cells - DocWire News - November 27th, 2021
- American CryoStem Announces the Addition of John Schwartz, PhD to Its Advisory Board - Stockhouse - November 24th, 2021
- KU holds session on dynamics of health and research | The Academia - The Academia Mag - November 22nd, 2021
- Dutch stem cell biotech Neuroplast secures 10 million (US$ 11.5 million) in Series B funding to further advance its transformative stem cell therapy... - November 18th, 2021
- Direct Biologics, LLC Announces One Year Follow Up of Pilot Safety Study of ExoFlo for Treatment of Osteoarthritis in Combat-Related Injuries - Yahoo... - November 18th, 2021
- Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound Promotes Osteogenic Differentiation of Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator Graft-Derived Cells in Vitro - DocWire News - November 18th, 2021
- BRAINSTORM CELL THERAPEUTICS INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) -... - November 16th, 2021
- Nerve Repair with Help From Stem Cells | University of Pennsylvania Almanac - UPENN Almanac - November 9th, 2021
- Potential roles of mesenchymal stem cells and their exosomes in the treatment of COVID-19 - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Exosomal miR-21-5p derived from bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells promote osteosarcoma cell proliferation and invasion by targeting PIK3R1 - DocWire... - November 7th, 2021
- Engineered Small Extracellular Vesicles as a FGL1/PD-L1 Dual-Targeting Delivery System for Alleviating Immune Rejection - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Expands Management Team with Appointment of Kelly Creighton, PhD as Executive Vice President of Chemistry, Manufacturing and... - November 5th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - KEVN Black Hills... - November 3rd, 2021
- Erratum for the article The long-term fate of mesenchymal stem cells l | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 2021 Leading Strategies and Growth Status to 2027 Merck KGaA, Celprogen, Creative Bioarray, Thermo... - November 3rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Implementation of Reverse Stock Split in Preparation for Planned Uplisting to Nasdaq - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Aiming for Global CDMO, Xcell Therapeutics opens an export route to 62 countries with cell therapy culture technology. - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Skeletal Muscle Regeneration by the Exosomes of Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells - DocWire News - October 28th, 2021
- Novel Stem Cell Therapy Approach Proves Effective in Treating COVID-19 - Asharq Al-awsat - English - October 28th, 2021
- Completion of Enrollment in Phase III Comparative Study for Investigational Regenerative Cellular Medicine (gMSC1) for Knee Chondrogenesis Using... - October 28th, 2021
- Managing superficial pyoderma with light therapy - DVM 360 - October 28th, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Prospects, Upcoming Trends and Competitive Outlook till 2028 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC,... - October 26th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics Provides Third Quarter 2021 Business Update - GlobeNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Nomination of Two New Members to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - October 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | What Is The Estimated Market Size In The Upcoming Years? | key players- Osiris Therapeutics, Inc, Pharmicell, Cynata,... - October 26th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Is Rapidly Increasing, Know The Key Reasons Behind The Growth | Key Players Lonza,Thermo Fisher,Bio-Techne. -... - October 21st, 2021
- Single Lgr5 stem cells build crypt-villus structures in ... - October 21st, 2021
- Kartogenin Promotes the BMSCs Chondrogenic Differentiation in Osteoarthritis by Down-Regulation of miR-145-5p Targeting Smad4 Pathway - DocWire News - October 21st, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2021 Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2027 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC IMIESA - IMIESA - October 19th, 2021
- Cellular Therapy in Oncology Market Latest Trends, Demands and Growing Business Opportunities 2017 to 2025 | TMR - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- Angiogenic effects of cell therapy within a biomaterial scaffold in a rat hind limb ischemia model - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 15th, 2021
- Chitosan hydrogel/3D-printed poly(caprolactone) hybrid ... - October 15th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cells and COVID-19: What they do and what they can do - DocWire News - October 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 15th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to Host Investor Webcast to Discuss the Acquisition of Late Phase 3 Cancer Immunotherapy I/ONTAK (E7777) - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2021
- Stem cell population identified that is key for bone regeneration - EurekAlert - October 9th, 2021
- Nerve repair, with help from stem cells | Penn Today - Penn Today - October 9th, 2021
- Researchers identify a stem cell population with enhanced fracture healing and differentiation abilities - News-Medical.net - October 9th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market is estimated to Rise Profitably during the Foreseeable Future - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cells and their role in lung transplant rejection - Michigan Medicine - October 7th, 2021
- Knockdown of mesenchymal stem cellderived exosomal LOC100129516 suppresses the symptoms of atherosclerosis via upregulation of the PPAR/LXR/ABCA1... - October 7th, 2021
- Germany Approves Novel Cell Therapy Extracted from Skin - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - KKCO-TV - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - StreetInsider.com - October 3rd, 2021
- Researchers report on new way to deliver healing stem cells to kidney injury patients - EurekAlert - October 3rd, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021
- CBMG Holdings Completes $120 Million in Series A Funding, Accelerating Development of CAR-T Therapy Pipelines and R&D for Innovative Solid Tumor... - October 2nd, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics signs research partnership with Implant - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2021
- Combination of Antioxidant Enzyme Overexpression and N-Acetylcysteine Treatment Enhances the Survival of Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in... - September 29th, 2021
- Global Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Size, Share, Growth and Regional Analysis by Segmentation and Country Forecast to 2028 - Digital... - September 29th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for multiple sclerosis: Explanation and safety - Medical News Today - September 29th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics in iPSC research partnership - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 29th, 2021
- New Report On Exosome Therapeutic Market Global Trends and Demand 2021 to 2027 | Avalon Globocare Corp, CREATIVE MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY HOLDINGS INC, Stem... - September 25th, 2021
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2021 Analysis by Latest COVID19 Impact with Market Positioning of Key Vendors Profile Stillwater Current - Stillwater... - September 25th, 2021
- Ex vivo stem cell treatment a promising therapy against MRSA - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2021
- Comparative assessment of proliferation and immunomodulatory potential of Hypericum perforatum plant and callus extracts on mesenchymal stem cells... - September 14th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR during 2021-2031; - PharmiWeb.com - September 10th, 2021
- Anti-inflammatory Effects of Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Their Secretomes in Pneumonia - DocWire News - September 10th, 2021
- A therapeutic convectionenhanced macroencapsulation device for enhancing cell viability and insulin secretion - pnas.org - September 10th, 2021
- Tech Moguls Splash Cash on Anti-Aging Tech - Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute - September 7th, 2021
- MeaTech Announces Filing of Provisional Patent Application for Differentiation of Stem Cells to Produce Cultured Fat - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2021
- Retraction for the article A novel bispecific immunotoxin delivered by | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - September 2nd, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Technology Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 1st, 2021
- Athersys Shares Are Ready To Rumble Following Period Of Turmoil - Seeking Alpha - September 1st, 2021
- LifeNet Health features best-in-class orthobiologic solutions at AAOS Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- Corrigendum for the article Overexpression of HOXB4 Promotes Protectio | JIR - Dove Medical Press - August 30th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells and Their Derivates in Acute Diseases: Emergency in the Post-COVID-19 Times - DocWire News - August 28th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Analysis, Growth, Gross Margin Analysis, Key Vendors, Shares, Drivers And Forecast UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 28th, 2021
- Human Bone Marrow-derived Mononuclear Cells and Their Applications - PharmiWeb.com - August 28th, 2021
- Dad with multiple sclerosis who fought for treatment in Panama during Covid restrictions finds first round is 'reaping rewards' - South West Londoner - August 25th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cell-based therapy and exosomes in COVID-19: current trends and prospects - DocWire News - August 23rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Awarded One of Top 10 Spine Device Companies by MedTech Outlook - OrthoSpineNews - August 23rd, 2021
- Extracellular vesicles, stem cells and the role of miRNAs in neurodegeneration - DocWire News - August 22nd, 2021
- GC wins regulatory nod for trials of psoriasis therapy - Korea Biomedical Review - August 20th, 2021
- Five Innovations in Cell-Based Therapy - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2021