A new approach to repairing peripheral nerves marries the regenerating power of gingiva-derived mesenchymal stem cells with a biological scaffold to enable the functional recovery of nerves following a facial injury, according to a study by a cross-disciplinary team from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine and Perelman School of Medicine.
Faced with repairing a major nerve injury to the face or mouth, skilled surgeons can take a nerve from an arm or leg and use to it restore movement or sensation to the original site of trauma. This approach, known as a nerve autograft, is the standard of care for nerve repair, but has its shortcomings. Besides taking a toll on a previously uninjured body part, the procedure doesnt always result in complete and functional nerve regrowth, especially for larger injuries.
Scientists and clinicians have recently been employing a different strategy for regrowing functional nerves involving commercially-available scaffolds to guide nerve growth. In experimental approaches, these scaffolds are infused with growth factors and cells to support regeneration. But to date, these efforts have not been completely successful. Recovery can fall short due to a failure to coax large numbers of regenerating axons to cross the graft and then adequately mature and regrow myelin, the insulating material around peripheral nerves that allows them to fire quickly and efficiently.
In an innovative approach to guided nerve repair, shared in the journal npj Regenerative Medicine, the Penn team coaxed human gingiva-derived mesenchymal stem cells (GMSCs) to grow Schwann-like cells, the pro-regenerative cells of the peripheral nervous system that make myelin and neural growth factors. The current work demonstrated that infusing a scaffold with these cells and using them to guide the repair of facial nerve injuries in an animal model had the same effectiveness as an autograft procedure.
Instead of an autograft, which causes unnecessary morbidity, we wanted to create a biological approach and use the regenerating ability of stem cells, says Anh Le, senior author on the study and chair and a professor in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/Pharmacology in Penns School of Dental Medicine. To be able to recreate nerve cells in this way is really a new paradigm.
For more than a decade, Les lab has pioneered the use of GMSCs to treat several inflammatory diseases and to regrow a variety of types of craniofacial tissue. Gingival tissue is easily extracted and heals rapidly, offering an accessible source of GMSCs. In fact, gingival tissue is often discarded from routine dental procedures. Le says the potential of GMSCs to help in nerve regrowth also owes in part to the cells common lineage. Embryologically, we know that craniofacial tissue is derived from the same neural crest progenitor cells as nerves, Le says. Thats part of the beauty of this system.
Le and colleagues led by Qunzhou Zhang, now a faculty member at Penn Dental Medicine, were able to apply their previous understanding of GMSCs to grow them in a collagen matrix using specific conditions that encouraged the cells to grow more like Schwann cells, the cells identity confirmed with a variety of genetic markers.
We observed this very interesting phenomenon, says Le, that when we changed that matrix density and suspended the cells three-dimensionally, they changed to have more neural crest properties, like Schwann cells.
To move the work forward, Le reached out to the Perelman School of Medicines D. Kacy Cullen, a bioengineer who has worked on nerve repair for 15 years. Cullen and colleagues have expertise in creating and testing nerve scaffold materials.
Using commercially available scaffolds for nerve growth, the researchers introduced the cells into collagen hydrogel. The cells migrate into the nerve graft and create a sheet of Schwann cells, Le says. By doing so they are forming the functionalized nerve guidance to guide axon generation in the gap left by an injury.
To get host Schwann cells all throughout a bioscaffold, youre basically approximating natural nerve repair, Cullen says. Indeed, when Le and Cullens groups collaborated to implant these grafts into rodents with a facial nerve injury and then tested the results, they saw evidence of a functional repair. The animals had less facial droop than those that received an empty graft and nerve conduction was restored. The implanted stem cells also survived in the animals for months following the transplant.
The animals that received nerve conduits laden with the infused cells had a performance that matched the group that received an autograft for their repair, he says. When youre able to match the performance of the gold-standard procedure without a second surgery to acquire the autograft, that is definitely a technology to pursue further.
While the current study worked at repairing a small gap in a nerve, the researchers aim to continue refining the method to try to repair larger gaps, as often arise when oral cancer necessitates surgical removal of a tumor. The field desperately needs what have been dubbed living scaffolds to direct the regrowth, Cullen says.
Le notes that this approach would give patients with oral cancer or facial trauma the opportunity to use their own tissue to recover motor function and sensation and to have cosmetic improvements following a repair.
And while Les group focuses on the head and neck, further work on this model could translate to nerve repair in other areas of the body as well. Im hopeful we can continue moving this forward towards clinical application, she says.
Anh Le is chair and Norman Vine Endowed Professor of Oral Rehabilitation in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/Pharmacology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine.
Qunzhou Zhang is a research assistant professor in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/Pharmacology at Penns School of Dental Medicine.
D. Kacy Cullen is an associate professor of neurosurgery and bioengineering at the Perelman School of Medicine at Penn and the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Le, Zhang, and Cullen coauthored the paper with Penn Dental Medicines Jincheng Zeng, Shihong Shi, Rabie M. Shanti, and Grace Kulischak; the Perelman School of Medicines Justin C. Burrell; and the University of Texas Health Science Centers Phuong Nguyen.
The study was supported by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (Grant DE029926-01), the Center for Human Appearance at Penn, OsteoScience Foundation-Peter Geistlich Research Awards, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Foundation, and the U.S. Department of Defense (Grant CDMRP/JPC8 CRMRP W81XWH-16-1-0796).
View original post here:
- Heterogeneous expression of ACE2 and TMPRRS2 in mesenchymal stromal cells - DocWire News - November 27th, 2021
- American CryoStem Announces the Addition of John Schwartz, PhD to Its Advisory Board - Stockhouse - November 24th, 2021
- KU holds session on dynamics of health and research | The Academia - The Academia Mag - November 22nd, 2021
- Dutch stem cell biotech Neuroplast secures 10 million (US$ 11.5 million) in Series B funding to further advance its transformative stem cell therapy... - November 18th, 2021
- Direct Biologics, LLC Announces One Year Follow Up of Pilot Safety Study of ExoFlo for Treatment of Osteoarthritis in Combat-Related Injuries - Yahoo... - November 18th, 2021
- Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound Promotes Osteogenic Differentiation of Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator Graft-Derived Cells in Vitro - DocWire News - November 18th, 2021
- BRAINSTORM CELL THERAPEUTICS INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) -... - November 16th, 2021
- Nerve Repair with Help From Stem Cells | University of Pennsylvania Almanac - UPENN Almanac - November 9th, 2021
- Potential roles of mesenchymal stem cells and their exosomes in the treatment of COVID-19 - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Exosomal miR-21-5p derived from bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells promote osteosarcoma cell proliferation and invasion by targeting PIK3R1 - DocWire... - November 7th, 2021
- Engineered Small Extracellular Vesicles as a FGL1/PD-L1 Dual-Targeting Delivery System for Alleviating Immune Rejection - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Expands Management Team with Appointment of Kelly Creighton, PhD as Executive Vice President of Chemistry, Manufacturing and... - November 5th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - KEVN Black Hills... - November 3rd, 2021
- Erratum for the article The long-term fate of mesenchymal stem cells l | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 2021 Leading Strategies and Growth Status to 2027 Merck KGaA, Celprogen, Creative Bioarray, Thermo... - November 3rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Implementation of Reverse Stock Split in Preparation for Planned Uplisting to Nasdaq - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Aiming for Global CDMO, Xcell Therapeutics opens an export route to 62 countries with cell therapy culture technology. - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Skeletal Muscle Regeneration by the Exosomes of Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells - DocWire News - October 28th, 2021
- Novel Stem Cell Therapy Approach Proves Effective in Treating COVID-19 - Asharq Al-awsat - English - October 28th, 2021
- Completion of Enrollment in Phase III Comparative Study for Investigational Regenerative Cellular Medicine (gMSC1) for Knee Chondrogenesis Using... - October 28th, 2021
- Managing superficial pyoderma with light therapy - DVM 360 - October 28th, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Prospects, Upcoming Trends and Competitive Outlook till 2028 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC,... - October 26th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics Provides Third Quarter 2021 Business Update - GlobeNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Nomination of Two New Members to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - October 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | What Is The Estimated Market Size In The Upcoming Years? | key players- Osiris Therapeutics, Inc, Pharmicell, Cynata,... - October 26th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Is Rapidly Increasing, Know The Key Reasons Behind The Growth | Key Players Lonza,Thermo Fisher,Bio-Techne. -... - October 21st, 2021
- Single Lgr5 stem cells build crypt-villus structures in ... - October 21st, 2021
- Kartogenin Promotes the BMSCs Chondrogenic Differentiation in Osteoarthritis by Down-Regulation of miR-145-5p Targeting Smad4 Pathway - DocWire News - October 21st, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2021 Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2027 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC IMIESA - IMIESA - October 19th, 2021
- Cellular Therapy in Oncology Market Latest Trends, Demands and Growing Business Opportunities 2017 to 2025 | TMR - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- Angiogenic effects of cell therapy within a biomaterial scaffold in a rat hind limb ischemia model - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 15th, 2021
- Chitosan hydrogel/3D-printed poly(caprolactone) hybrid ... - October 15th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cells and COVID-19: What they do and what they can do - DocWire News - October 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 15th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to Host Investor Webcast to Discuss the Acquisition of Late Phase 3 Cancer Immunotherapy I/ONTAK (E7777) - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2021
- Stem cell population identified that is key for bone regeneration - EurekAlert - October 9th, 2021
- Researchers identify a stem cell population with enhanced fracture healing and differentiation abilities - News-Medical.net - October 9th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market is estimated to Rise Profitably during the Foreseeable Future - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cells and their role in lung transplant rejection - Michigan Medicine - October 7th, 2021
- Knockdown of mesenchymal stem cellderived exosomal LOC100129516 suppresses the symptoms of atherosclerosis via upregulation of the PPAR/LXR/ABCA1... - October 7th, 2021
- Germany Approves Novel Cell Therapy Extracted from Skin - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - KKCO-TV - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - StreetInsider.com - October 3rd, 2021
- Researchers report on new way to deliver healing stem cells to kidney injury patients - EurekAlert - October 3rd, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021
- CBMG Holdings Completes $120 Million in Series A Funding, Accelerating Development of CAR-T Therapy Pipelines and R&D for Innovative Solid Tumor... - October 2nd, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics signs research partnership with Implant - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2021
- Combination of Antioxidant Enzyme Overexpression and N-Acetylcysteine Treatment Enhances the Survival of Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in... - September 29th, 2021
- Global Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Size, Share, Growth and Regional Analysis by Segmentation and Country Forecast to 2028 - Digital... - September 29th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for multiple sclerosis: Explanation and safety - Medical News Today - September 29th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics in iPSC research partnership - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 29th, 2021
- New Report On Exosome Therapeutic Market Global Trends and Demand 2021 to 2027 | Avalon Globocare Corp, CREATIVE MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY HOLDINGS INC, Stem... - September 25th, 2021
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2021 Analysis by Latest COVID19 Impact with Market Positioning of Key Vendors Profile Stillwater Current - Stillwater... - September 25th, 2021
- Ex vivo stem cell treatment a promising therapy against MRSA - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2021
- Comparative assessment of proliferation and immunomodulatory potential of Hypericum perforatum plant and callus extracts on mesenchymal stem cells... - September 14th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR during 2021-2031; - PharmiWeb.com - September 10th, 2021
- Anti-inflammatory Effects of Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Their Secretomes in Pneumonia - DocWire News - September 10th, 2021
- A therapeutic convectionenhanced macroencapsulation device for enhancing cell viability and insulin secretion - pnas.org - September 10th, 2021
- Tech Moguls Splash Cash on Anti-Aging Tech - Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute - September 7th, 2021
- MeaTech Announces Filing of Provisional Patent Application for Differentiation of Stem Cells to Produce Cultured Fat - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2021
- Retraction for the article A novel bispecific immunotoxin delivered by | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - September 2nd, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Technology Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 1st, 2021
- Athersys Shares Are Ready To Rumble Following Period Of Turmoil - Seeking Alpha - September 1st, 2021
- LifeNet Health features best-in-class orthobiologic solutions at AAOS Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- Corrigendum for the article Overexpression of HOXB4 Promotes Protectio | JIR - Dove Medical Press - August 30th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells and Their Derivates in Acute Diseases: Emergency in the Post-COVID-19 Times - DocWire News - August 28th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Analysis, Growth, Gross Margin Analysis, Key Vendors, Shares, Drivers And Forecast UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 28th, 2021
- Human Bone Marrow-derived Mononuclear Cells and Their Applications - PharmiWeb.com - August 28th, 2021
- Dad with multiple sclerosis who fought for treatment in Panama during Covid restrictions finds first round is 'reaping rewards' - South West Londoner - August 25th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cell-based therapy and exosomes in COVID-19: current trends and prospects - DocWire News - August 23rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Awarded One of Top 10 Spine Device Companies by MedTech Outlook - OrthoSpineNews - August 23rd, 2021
- New Experiment on Mice Reveals a System for Burning Deep Stored Fat - Nature World News - August 23rd, 2021
- Extracellular vesicles, stem cells and the role of miRNAs in neurodegeneration - DocWire News - August 22nd, 2021
- GC wins regulatory nod for trials of psoriasis therapy - Korea Biomedical Review - August 20th, 2021
- Five Innovations in Cell-Based Therapy - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2021