Simon Cowell and David Walliams are backing our campaign to save Nathaniel Nabena as his family race to raise 150,000 in three days.
The big-hearted Britains Got Talent stars have each given five-figure sums to help the nine-year-old, after we revealed his parents must raise 201,000 by Wednesday for a life-saving stem cell transplant.
Manchester United and Marvel fan Nathaniel is not entitled to free NHS treatment because he is not a British national.
He was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia in the UK after flying here for a 5,000 prosthetic eye fitted privately after losing it to a tumour in his home country Nigeria.
Simon, 61, whose son Eric is seven, said: This must be a really difficult time for Nathaniel and his parents, lets all pray that this campaign gets Nathaniel the treatment he needs.
Comedian David, 49, dad to Alfred, aged eight, said: Nathaniel is a very special little boy and we must do everything we can to ensure he gets all the treatment he needs so he can enjoy a long and happy life.
Generous Sunday People readers helped raise 87,000 earlier this year for three rounds of chemo at Great Ormond Street Hospital in March to get him in shape for the life-saving op.
He responded better than consultants expected and is in remission and in a position for a transplant, using donor stem cells from an umbilical cord.
Readers have helped raise another 30,000 last week to fund transplant procedure and doctors at GOSH have kindly waived their private fees to reduce the cost. But there is still another 150,000 to find.
Consultants at GOSH say his cancer could return at any time and the window for a successful op while chemotherapy is keeping the cancer at bay means the cash must be raised by Wednesday.
After that, the chances of it working will be reduced, and Nathaniels only likely option will be palliative care.
A host of stars have rallied around to support Nathaniel as the family race to raise cash.
Former JLS singer Aston Merrygold, Paul OGrady and Loose Womens Coleen Nolan were among those backing the lad.
Dad-of-two Aston, 33, shared the appeal with his 427k Instagram followers, urging them: Please help Nathaniels family.
Reality star Katie Price shared a fundraising page with her 2.5 million Instagram followers and called for fans to give Nathaniel the chance for a life.
Nathaniel said he is so grateful for the support from readers and celebs.
He said: Thank you all, everybody, for helping me and giving me a chance at life.
"God bless everybody.
His parents Ebi, 45, and Modupe, 38, have been moved to tears by the support from stars and People readers.
Ebi said: Ive been crying knowing that the British people have given my son another hope in life again when all hope was gone. It is like a modern day miracle. We are so grateful.
We all watch American Idol as a family and Nathaniel watches videos of Simon on TikTok. He is a big fan.
"To David we say, thank you so much for coming to the aid of a stranger and being a Good Samaritan.
"We have still got to raise three-quarters of what we need.
"I have not been able to sleep, I worry so much about how we are going to raise the money. It is so tough.
This week, Nathaniel had tests and saw a psychologist at GOSH ahead of the potential transplant and rested at his relatives home in Croydon, South London.
Ebi said: So far the test results have been wonderful. Hes in top shape, hes doing so well. Hes been playing his video games.
He knows hes going to be in hospital for a long time and expressed his fears in a meeting with a psychologist. We are doing our best to reassure him.
Nathaniel has already overcome a lot after having his left eye removed last September while fighting another cancer, myeloid sarcoma, in southern Nigeria.
His family raised 5,000 so he could travel with Ebi to London to have a prosthetic fitted at Londons Moorfield Eye Hospital in November.
Within days of arriving Nathaniel suffered nosebleeds and a fever and was rushed to Croydon University Hospital where he was diagnosed with terminal AML, which affects around 100 children every year in the UK.
It is so aggressive he could have died within weeks without chemo.
His family were initially told the total cost of the treatment at GOSH would be up to 825,000.
Celebrities have voiced their concern for Nathaniel after learning of his desperate situation.
Corrie legend Beverley Callard: This little boy deserves all the help we can give him, so lets dig deep and get him the treatment he needs to save his life.
Emmerdales Claire King: Please, please help Nathaniels family raise 150,000. Stay strong, Nathaniel. We are all wishing you the very best.
Coleen Nolan, Loose Women panellist: What Nathaniel is going through is every familys worst nightmare. They are so close to the treatment he desperately needs, and the kindness of strangers can help him.
Benidorms Sherrie Hewson: Every child deserves the best chance at life, and while there is hope for Nathaniel, we mustnt give up. He has shown such bravery coming this far and now he needs a chance at the treatment that could save him. I hope everyone will get behind this courageous little boy and his family to donate and give him a future.
Samantha Giles, Hollyoaks actress: If you can manage to donate just a pound, it could potentially save Nathaniels life. Thank you, thank you! Youve done something wonderful.
Entrepreneur and presenter Saira Khan: If we can all give a little bit, we can help to save this little boys life.
TV and stage star Claire Sweeney: GOSH consultants have graciously waived their fee, but we still need to raise 150,000 for a life-saving stem cell treatment. Please dig deep we only have three days to save this beautiful boy.
The transplant treatment is not available in his home country and he was too sick to travel.
Ebi and Modupe were in despair when they first spoke to us three months ago.
But Sunday People readers stepped in to raise 87,000 for chemo which has given him a chance of surviving a transplant.
Clinicians have lowered costs after Nathaniel responded better than expected to treatment and needed less chemo.
And last week we revealed consultants at GOSH have waived their private fees to help Nathaniel.
The 201,103 covers the donor stem cell transplant and the cost of care, excluding consultants fees, based on a typical inpatient admission of eight weeks and a three-month post-transplant follow-up as an outpatient.
Professor Ajay Vora, a consultant paediatric haematologist at GOSH, said: All the consultants involved in his care are working in a private capacity and have waived their fee because they want to help him.
Our time is not borrowed from the NHS because we are treating Nathaniel in our private service in our time.
If enough is raised for the transplant, Nathaniel will undergo tests to begin the process on Friday, May 14.
Doctors had hoped to have a bone marrow transplant from one of his two sisters Nadia, 11, and Nicole, 21 months.
But they were not a match.
Ebi said: Even to get to this point where we may have access to treatment is a miracle.
"Wed given up hope.
The mum of a girl who was saved by a stem cell transplant five years ago has urged readers to back Nathaniel.
Marie Stark said energetic Ava who loves anything that involves running around is a testament to what the procedure can do.
She said: The fact his family is having to raise money while theyre so worried about him, I cant even imagine how hard that is. I remember that desperation, of wanting to do whatever you can to save your child.
Aged three, Ava was diagnosed with blood disorder aplastic anemia and had just months to live if no stem cell donor was found.
Her plight sparked a nationwide search, with Marie, a car rental worker, describing the race to save her girl as a ticking time bomb.
Ava, of Lochgelly, Fife, had a transplant in late 2016. Now eight, Ava loves riding her scooter, walking her dogs and trampolining.
Marie, 38, who was supported by blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan, said: I know first hand the good a stem cell transplant can do. If everybody gave 50p or 1 there would be so much money there to help Nathaniel.
Join the stem cell register: anthonynolan.org/help-save-a-life/join-stem-cell-register
See the rest here:
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Status, Business Trends, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecasts To 2028||Cryo-Cell International,... - June 20th, 2021
- Global $15.52 Bn Cell Isolation (Human Cells and Animal Cells) - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- Stem Cells in the Treatment of Diabetes | Cryo-Cell - June 16th, 2021
- Uses & Importance of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells | NECBB - June 16th, 2021
- Cord blood stem cells: a review of potential neurological ... - June 16th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Medical Society - June 16th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Set to Grow with Massive CAGR by 2028. Major Players Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - June 16th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Report Provides An In-Depth Insight Of Demand And Trends Forecast To 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 14th, 2021
- What Are Stem Cells and Why Are They Important? - News & Features - June 13th, 2021
- Simone Anderson cleared by ASA over cord blood post but accused of deleting negative comments - New Zealand Herald - June 13th, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2028 The Manomet Current... - June 13th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 9th, 2021
- Global Analysis of Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Size 2021-2026 By Industry Demand, Growth Share and Competitive Landscape Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 9th, 2021
- MedShadow Foundation Reports on Two Decades of Research and Regulation of Stem Cell Therapy - PRUnderground - May 30th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Research Report Including SWOT Analysis, PESTELE Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Global Industry Outlook and Key Players Analysis By... - May 26th, 2021
- What is lab grown meat? A scientist explains the taste, production and safety of artificial foods - BBC Focus Magazine - May 26th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021: Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends and Forecasts 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 26th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Revenue, Size Industry Statistics, Share, Analysis and Global Research Report, 2020-2027 The Courier - The Courier - May 22nd, 2021
- AB-205 Shows Promise in Patients With Systemic Lymphoma Undergoing HDT-ASCT - Targeted Oncology - May 22nd, 2021
- Research on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Key Data Points Necessary for Effective Strategies | Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - May 20th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.9% by 2025 - Market Primes - May 20th, 2021
- Amazon in talks to buy MGM movie studio - The Information - Yahoo Finance UK - May 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Revenue, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Trends and Demand by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 20th, 2021
- Swab To Save a Life event to be held at Berlin Boro Hall - nj.com - May 20th, 2021
- Caribou Biosciences Announces Appointment of Katy Rezvani, M.D., Ph.D. and Christopher Sturgeon, Ph.D. to its Scientific Advisory Board - Business... - May 20th, 2021
- Repeated infusion of mesenchymal stem cells maintain the condition to inhibit deteriorated motor function, leading to an extended lifespan in the... - May 10th, 2021
- Smart Immune Announces FDA Orphan Drug Status, IND Acceptance and Fast-Track Designation to Commence Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of Proprietary... - May 10th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Becoming a Common Treatment for Medical Diseases, Disorders and Traumas - Flagstaff Business News - May 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Type (Allogeneic Stem Cell, Autologous Stem Cell), By Application (Autoimmune Diseases, Immunodeficiencies,... - May 5th, 2021
- Our first child is due, and Im already in the clutches of the baby-industrial complex - The Guardian - May 5th, 2021
- Scientists identify small-molecule cocktail to improve stem cell use in research and disease treatments - National Institutes of Health - May 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - May 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Research Report By Scope, Size, Share, Drivers, Restraints, Key Players and Forecasts KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - May 5th, 2021
- Celebrate Mother's Day With the Gift of Life-Saving Cord Blood Donation - GlobeNewswire - May 2nd, 2021
- Key Trends of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021 Business Opportunities, Market Dynamics, Growth Size and Forecasts to 2026 - Clark... - May 2nd, 2021
- The Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market To Get Re-Energized By The Global The Courier - The Courier - April 24th, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from elective abortion called 'deeply offensive' - TheCatholicSpirit.com : TheCatholicSpirit.com - The Catholic Spirit - April 24th, 2021
- U.S. Rep. Greene one of just two House lawmakers opposing stem cell, bone marrow transplant bill - Chattanooga Times Free Press - April 18th, 2021
- Blood Donors needed, as local blood supply faces 'Perfect Storm' - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - April 16th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment needed to fight the good fight - Victoria Lookout - April 16th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - Marketscreener.com - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027 : Becton, Dickinson and Company, DomaniCell, LLC, Future Health... - April 14th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Booming CAGR +10% by 2028|| Osiris Therapeutics, Athersys, Opexa Therapeutics, NeoStem, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem... - April 14th, 2021
- Cidara Therapeutics to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Vincerx Pharma To Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on Bioconjugation and CDK9 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Hematologic and Solid Tumors - April 8th, 2021
- Cabaletta Bio to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Arch Oncology Appoints Laurence Blumberg, M.D. President and CEO - April 8th, 2021
- X4 Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Immutep Announces European Patent Grant For LAG525 Antibody In Combination Therapy - April 8th, 2021
- Cannalogue Expands Compassionate Care Program to Provide Lowest Medical Cannabis Price in Canada - April 8th, 2021
- Allena Pharmaceuticals Appoints Mark J. Fitzpatrick to its Board of Directors - April 8th, 2021
- Fortress Biotech to Participate in the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Chinook Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 2 AFFINITY Basket Study of Atrasentan in Proteinuric Glomerular Diseases - April 8th, 2021
- Rhythm Pharmaceuticals to Present at 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- NKGen Biotech Announces Appointment of Philip Moody as Chief Financial Officer - April 8th, 2021
- CorMedix Inc. to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Innovation Pharma Announces Brilacidin Abstract Accepted for Oral Presentation at the American Society for Virology’s Annual Meeting - April 8th, 2021
- AIM ImmunoTech Announces Positive Safety Data in First Cohort of Phase 1 Clinical Study Investigating Intranasal Administration of Ampligen as a... - April 8th, 2021
- Cullinan Oncology, Inc. to Participate in the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- Advanced... - April 6th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell... - April 6th, 2021
- 25 Children with Autism Treated with Cord Blood: How Efficient is the Treatment? - Science Times - April 6th, 2021
- Latest Trending Report on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori Therapeutics, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 3rd, 2021
- The Governments Watchful Eye on Fraud Stemming from Stem Cell Therapy - JD Supra - April 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021 Analysis, Growth By Top Companies with Forecast 2025 : CBR Systems, ThermoGenesis, China Cord... - April 1st, 2021
- Why Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market will be in Trend in Coming Period? Top Key Players- CBR Systems, China Cord Blood Corporation,... - April 1st, 2021
- Global Cell Isolation Market Sales Scenario of to Stay Positive Through 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 1st, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top... - April 1st, 2021
- Global Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Industry Size, Future Trends, Development Strategy, Growth Factors, Top Players, Historical... - March 30th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells HSCs Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- Kite Pharma... - March 30th, 2021
- Vita 34 continues to grow in 2020 in core markets after good year-end business - PharmiWeb.com - March 30th, 2021
- Biobanking Market | 2021 Global Industry Analysis by Covid-19 Impact On Healthcare Sector, Business with Forecast to 2027 The Bisouv Network - The... - March 30th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell,... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study Top Key Players, Application, Growth Analysis And Forecasts To 2016 2024 FLA News - FLA News - March 26th, 2021
- Inner Wheel Blayney held a cord blood fundraising event in the Community Centre - Blayney Chronicle - March 26th, 2021
- Research on Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Key Data Points Necessary for Effective Strategies | Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market : Trends, Growth, Regions, Types and Key Developments, Applications By 2026 | Chart, Worthington... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - March 24th, 2021