Mesoblast, MESO, is an Australian based biopharmaceutical company that has been a market favorite, even though the companys ups and downs have confused many investors.
The MESO share price has been inconsistent lately. This has prompted many investors to ask why. Analyzed carefully, MESO has done better than many stem cell businesses. Most stem cell businesses fail to ever make a profit and fail to even get a product to market. This can cause long-term problems with the stock price of any company.
ByMichael A. Mannen, MS
Mesoblast as a company is committed to offering groundbreaking cellular therapies for the treatment of many severe diseases using Mesenchymal Stem Cells. They are dedicated to cellular medicines and leveraging their stem cell technology. There are not many successful companies in this niche.
Adult stem cells are undifferentiated cells that divide and rebuild the damaged tissue. Mesenchymal Stem Cells are a type of adult stem cells generated from some of the adult tissues present in the body.
Stem cells have been found by scientists to have two properties: self-renewal and the potential to divide into specialized cell types. Multi-potent, mesenchymal stem cells are found to be present in many adult tissues. The bone marrow is considered by many scientists to be the most usable reservoir of adult human stem cells.
For several disorders, such as heart failure, the capacity to rebuild tissue may be groundbreaking for treatment. And this has been the inspiration for many companies exploring stem cell therapies.
However, what differentiates Mesoblast from other stem cell companies is its approach to treating inflammatory diseases. Their products have the potential to make breakthroughs a reality for many diseases.
The company has developed and manufactured its own patented mesenchymal lineage cells to be used for a range of ailments. These have a potential for the regeneration of tissues. These cells, however, secrete a number of biomolecules which can help the body heal more than just tissue damage. They may be important to supporting immune responses needed for recovery in many diseases.
Possible rejection of the patients immune system is the biggest problem with the use of stem cell therapies in heart diseases and other diseases. This can worsen many illnesses.
MESO does appear committed to the quality of its product. For MESO it is a question of the effectiveness and safety of their products. Its a long and winding road to provide adequate scientific proof when presenting breakthrough treatments to regulators. Many less reputable organizations have touted stem cells without doing the necessary scientific investigation or seeking the necessary regulatory approval. Mesoblast is trying to do things the right way. Committing to doing science the right way leads to a lot of inevitable ups and downs. This raises financial speculation and can lead to wild fluctuations in the stock price of any company.
A further significant advantage of some of Mesoblasts products is that they apparently can be administered to patients without needing donor matching. This increases their viability. Moreover, it allows for a wide spectrum of patients to be treated from their products. This gives them an advantage in comparison with other firms and should potentially allow them to increasingly gain a larger market share.
Of great interest to investors include the many clinical trial phase 3 products that Mesoblast has in its pipeline. These include MPC-06-ID, Remestemcel-L, and REVASCOR.
Remestemcel-L is a Mesoblast therapy that may theoretically have properties to help with the treatment of ventilator-dependent patients with COVID-19 patients. However, a clinical trial reported some concerns with the therapy meeting its primary endpoint. And it sent the stock down in December 2020. Obviously, there is a large demand for the treatment of complications linked to Covid-19, so this bad news disappointed investors.
However, another therapy has shown promise in the DREAM-HF Phase 3 for patients with chronic heart failure. Although the Revasacor did not stop heart failure, it did seem to deliver dramatic reductions in heart attacks and other negative cardiovascular events that plague heart failure patients.
Heart failure is a pathology that involves ones heart having trouble pumping. The condition impacts millions of people worldwide. In order to feed and maintain it working, the heart muscle depends on a continuous supply of oxygen rich blood. Having stem cell therapies is highly desirable to treat cardiovascular diseases. Hopefully, many Cardiovascular disorders can be treated with stem cell therapies in the future.
Other conditions such as hypertension and Coronary artery disease can help lead to heart failure. According to the Mayo Clinic, heart failure can cause significant health complications and lead to Liver and Kidney damage in patients.
Some scientists believe that Mesenchymal Stem Cells when used to treat cardiovascular diseases can preserve the myocardium by reducing the intensity of inflammation and supporting angiogenesis. Angiogenesis is a mechanism used by the body to create new blood vessels. Their low immunogenicity once more makes them a perfect treatment. This helps ensure that the immune system of the patient does not produce a negative response to the therapy. This theoretically can give stem cell therapies an advantage over some protein-based treatments that are easily recognized by the patients immune system.
This product could be a major development for Mesoblast moving forward, although further analysis and testing is still needed.
Stem cell therapies are not without experimental and medical challenges. For example, there are concerns with the ability of stem cell migration to tissues that require regeneration. There may also be cases whereby stem cells are divided into unintended cells. There may also be difficulties with the manufacturing and culturing of stem cells. Identification of Mesenchymal stem cells in cell populations can be problematic. From a scientific point of view, bone marrow derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells are known to be the best source for obtaining these cells in the human body.
Mesoblast has a wide range of advanced research programs related to different stem cell therapies. MPC-06-ID could potentially be a viable therapy for treating chronic low back pain attributable to degenerative disc disease.
These are products that consumers should be thrilled about.
The company has solid financials for a stem cell company and has a lot of cash on hand. The stock had a market cap of over 2 billion on 9/30/2020 and a 52-week high of 21.28. Lately the news surrounding the companys clinical trials has been a potpourri of both good and bad, so the share price has settled at around $9. It has a float of 93.7 million shares.
Mesoblast is a really exciting healthcare business. The business has made a commitment for the future. And it should be a stock that investors continue to follow.
Read the original here:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Industry Analysis to 2029 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - March 3rd, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2020 Financial Results and Recent Program - PharmiWeb.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy in Wisconsin with Delo Sports Medicine and Interventional Orthopedics - WeAreGreenBay.com - March 3rd, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Winston-Salem) Offers Stem Cell Therapy For Pain Treatment In Winston Salem, NC - Press Release - Digital Journal - March 3rd, 2021
- 'Phenomenal' Results with CAR T-Cells in R/R Multiple Myeloma - Medscape - March 3rd, 2021
- Marker Therapeutics Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase 2 Trial of MT-401 in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Following Stem Cell Transplant - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Comments on: Scientists Uncover the Key to Proper Muscle Growth - SciTechDaily - March 3rd, 2021
- ViaCyte and Gore Expand Collaboration to Develop Novel Membrane and Device Technologies that Enhance Delivery of Cell Replacement Therapies for... - March 3rd, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Round Rock) Offers Stem Cells Therapy As Viable Pain Management Alternative To Surgery In Round Rock, TX - Press Release - Digital Journal - March 3rd, 2021
- Will Immunotherapy Work as Salvage Therapy for Patients with Testicular Germ Cell Tumors? - UroToday - March 3rd, 2021
- Caribou nets $115M to boost CRISPR tech, advance off-the-shelf cell therapies - FierceBiotech - March 3rd, 2021
- He should leave medicine to the physicians, Medical experts fear fall-out from Archbishop vaccine statement - WAFB - March 3rd, 2021
- Overview of stem cells therapy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - DocWire News - February 27th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking Leader Cryo-Cell International Enters Into An Exclusive License Agreement with Duke University - GlobeNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Microchip can help scientists study the regenerative potential of mice heart cells - News-Medical.Net - February 27th, 2021
- GMP Cytokines Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type, and Application, and Geography - GlobeNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Spinal Cord Injuries Repaired In Patients Using Their Own Stem Cells In Preliminary Trial - IFLScience - February 27th, 2021
- Uncovering Secrets of Heart Regeneration in Baby Mice - Technology Networks - February 27th, 2021
- Researchers identify cells responsible for maintenance and regeneration of liver - News-Medical.Net - February 27th, 2021
- Global $79.23 Bn Regenerative Medicine Markets, Analysis 2015-2019 & Forecasts 2020-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 27th, 2021
- Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL Undergoes Rapid Evolution With CAR T-Cell Therapy, ADCs, and Bispecific Antibodies - OncLive - February 27th, 2021
- Proliferation tracing reveals regional hepatocyte generation in liver homeostasis and repair - Science Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- A Canadian success story: world-first to treat Fabry disease with gene therapy - Newswise - February 27th, 2021
- The global cell therapy market is expected to reach US$ 12,563.23 million by 2027 from US$ 7,260.50 million in 2019 - Yahoo Sports - February 23rd, 2021
- The global organoids market is expected to reach US$ 3,420.40 million by 2027 from US$ 689.47 million in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - February 23rd, 2021
- GMP Cytokines Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type, and Application, and Geography - Yahoo Sports - February 23rd, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Uses StemVacs Platform to Generate Personalized Adoptive T Cell Therapy Targeting Cancer Stem Cells - PRNewswire - February 23rd, 2021
- First experience of the use of a generic of plerixafor in peripheral blood stem cell mobilization in multiple myeloma and lymphoma patients - DocWire... - February 23rd, 2021
- Coya Therapeutics Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board - GlobeNewswire - February 23rd, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing Global Market to 2025 - by Product Type, Application and Region - GlobeNewswire - February 23rd, 2021
- Anthony Nolan Cell & Gene Therapy Services and ONK Therapeutics Announce Collaboration - BioSpace - February 23rd, 2021
- Incyte Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of sNDA for Jakafi (ruxolitinib) as a Treatment for Patients with Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease -... - February 23rd, 2021
- In B-Cell NHL, Off-the-Shelf NK Immunotherapy Shows Promise When Used With Chemotherapy and ASCT - Cancer Network - February 23rd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing Market (2020 to 2025) - Featuring Lonza Group, Merck & Novartis Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - February 21st, 2021
- Meet the women hoping to recruit more stem cells donors from Black communities - CTV News - February 19th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report 2021 | Growth and Opportunities Analysis - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Mouth Sores from Chemo: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments - Healthline - February 19th, 2021
- World Regenerative Medicine Market Outlook to 2030, by Product, Material and Application - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Cholangiocyte organoids can repair bile ducts after transplantation in the human liver - Science - February 19th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Carves Out a Role in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Off-the-Shelf NK Immunotherapy With Chemotherapy and Transplant Shows Early Activity in B-Cell NHL - OncLive - February 19th, 2021
- EMA: Lentiviral thalassemia treatment on hold pending cancer investigation - Regulatory Focus - February 19th, 2021
- Novartis, Gates Foundation pursue a simpler gene therapy for sickle cell - STAT - February 19th, 2021
- Research Associate in Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine job with KINGS COLLEGE LONDON | 246711 - Times Higher Education (THE) - February 17th, 2021
- Takeda announces expansion of stem cell therapy production facility in Ireland - Gov.ie - February 17th, 2021
- Braunschweig Makes the Case for Earlier Use of CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - February 17th, 2021
- Off-the-Shelf NK Immunotherapy Is Safe and Promising in B-Cell NHL With Chemotherapy and Transplant - Targeted Oncology - February 17th, 2021
- Lineage to Host Virtual OPC1 Investor & Analyst Day on February 22, 2021 - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Opportunity Analysis in the Regenerative Medicine Market to 2030 - A $172.17 Billion Market by 2030 - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Discovery for turning on cell repair in tissues and organs - Monash University - February 17th, 2021
- AI project to power the future of stem cell manufacturing - TechCentral.ie - February 17th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Patent on Prevention of Organ Transplant Rejection using ImmCelz - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- From organoids to cell painting: Investigate 3D and complex biology using advanced methods in high-content cellular imaging and analysis - Drug Target... - February 17th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Smart Stem Cells Made From Fat Have the Power to Heal - Freethink - February 14th, 2021
- Researchers discover factor that triggers muscle stem cells to heal - Drug Target Review - February 12th, 2021
- Stem cell study illuminates the cause of an inherited heart disorder | Penn Today - Penn Today - February 12th, 2021
- Neurons from patient blood cells enable researchers to test treatments for genetic brain disease - Brown University - February 12th, 2021
- Florida boy battling cancer in need of blood stem cell donor - ABC Action News - February 12th, 2021
- New research aims to explore functions of bile acids in the gut stem cell niche - News-Medical.Net - February 12th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Acquires Stem Cell Therapy That Successfully Completed FDA Double Blind Placebo Controlled Efficacy Study for Lung... - February 12th, 2021
- Types of leukemia: Prevalence, treatment options, and prognosis - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2021
- Novel finding could lead to better treatments for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes - News-Medical.Net - February 12th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Launch of New Clinical Trial with National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to Evaluate JSP191 in Sickle Cell Disease -... - February 12th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021
- Researchers discover a recipe for cyclical regeneration of bioengineered hair - News-Medical.net - February 12th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 12th, 2021
- Apamistamab Conditioning Treatment Induces High Rates of HCT Success in AML - OncLive - February 12th, 2021
- AlloVir Research Presented at the 2021 Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meeting Digital Experience - Business Wire - February 12th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy treatment introduced in Pakistan - The Nation - February 8th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 5th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 5th, 2021
- iSpecimen expands offerings to support regenerative medicine, adding cryopreserved stem and immune cells to existing biospecimens available through... - February 3rd, 2021
- Ibrutinib-Based Regimen Safe and Effective in R/R Primary CNS Lymphoma, Early Results Show - Targeted Oncology - February 2nd, 2021
- MRD Could Prove to Be a Valuable Tool in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - February 2nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 5,040 Million by 2028 | Rising Public-Private Investments and Developing Regulatory Framework for Stem Cell... - January 31st, 2021
- Stem cell and allergy clinics receive CBER untitled letters - Regulatory Focus - January 31st, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - January 31st, 2021