The November general election is rapidly approaching. This election will surely be one most of us will not forget anytime soon. Not only will it perhaps be the most consequential presidential election of our era, but also, with the ongoing pandemic, will be one of the most unusual for most of our lifetimes. On a personal level, it will have special meaning for me as the first election I will practice my right to vote. Earlier this year, pre-pandemic, I became a U.S. citizen and I am excited to join the many millions in having their voices heard.
In June, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order ensuring all registered voters will be mailed a ballot. The order did not replace in-person voting. Secretary of State Alex Padilla has stressed his commitment to providing as many in-person voting sites as possible. Just last week, the governor signed a new law to let counties offer fewer in-person polling places in exchange for opening the sites earlier. Polling places will be open from Saturday, Oct. 31, through Nov. 2 for at least eight hours each day and from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. Counties will also be required to open one ballot drop-off location for every 15,000 registered voters for 28 days before the election.
By now, most of us should know the candidates, from local to presidential. But how many of us know of the important ballot measures our state will face? Twelve ballot measures qualified, ranging from stem cell research, to privacy laws, classifying independent contractors and affirmative action.
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce took positions on five of the 12 they deemed business-related and that the SCV business community needed to closely look at. Heres a quick summary and where the chamber officially stands:
PROPOSITION 15: SPLIT ROLL OPPOSE
Increases funding for K-12 public schools, community colleges, and local governments by requiring that commercial and industrial real property be taxed based on current market value. Exempts from this change: residential properties; agricultural properties; and owners of commercial and industrial properties with combined value of $3 million or less. Increased education funding will supplement existing school funding guarantees. Exempts small businesses from personal property tax; for other businesses, exempts $500,000 worth of personal property.
PROPOSITION 19: PROPERTY TAX BREAKS AND CLOSING THE LEBOWSKI LOOPHOLE (ACA 11) SUPPORT
Allow homeowners who are over 55, disabled or victims of natural disaster to take a portion of their property tax base with them when they sell their home and buy a new one. It would also limit the ability of new homeowners who inherit properties to keep their parents or grandparents low property tax payments. Most of the additional money raised would go into a state fire response fund.
PROPOSITION 21: RENT CONTROL OPPOSE
Amends state law to allow local governments to establish rent control on residential properties over 15 years old. Allows rent increases on rent-controlled properties of up to 15% over three years from previous tenants rent above any increase allowed by local ordinance. Exempts individuals who own no more than two homes from new rent-control policies. In accordance with state law, provides that rent-control policies may not violate landlords right to a fair financial return on property.
PROPOSITION 22: SELF-EMPLOYMENT FOR RIDE-HAIL AND OTHER APP-DRIVERS SUPPORT
Establishes different criteria for determining whether app-based transportation (rideshare) and delivery drivers are employees or independent contractors. Independent contractors are not entitled to certain state-law protections afforded employees including minimum wage, overtime, unemployment insurance, and workers compensation. Instead, companies with independent-contractor drivers will be required to provide specified alternative benefits, including minimum compensation and health care subsidies based on engaged driving time, vehicle insurance, safety training and sexual harassment policies. Restricts local regulation of app-based drivers; criminalizes impersonation of such drivers; requires background checks.
PROPOSITION 24: STRONGER CONSUMER PRIVACY LAWS OPPOSE
Permits consumers to: (1) prevent businesses from sharing personal information; (2) correct inaccurate personal information; and (3) limit businesses use of sensitive personal information such as precise geolocation; race; ethnicity; religion; genetic data; union membership; private communications; and certain sexual orientation, health, and biometric information. Changes criteria for which businesses must comply with these laws. Prohibits businesses retention of personal information for longer than reasonably necessary. Triples maximum penalties for violations concerning consumers under age 16. Establishes California Privacy Protection Agency to enforce and implement consumer privacy laws and impose administrative fines. Requires adoption of substantive regulations.
To assist our full community, the chamber has launched its Election Watch 2020 page on http://www.scvchamber.com to give you full access on all issues that may affect our community. You can see its official position on ballot measures, upcoming candidate forums, and candidate endorsements.
The page is intended to educate the voter, not sway in any direction. As mentioned above, when titles are misconstrued on the ballot, and a majority of voters dont look into the summary or do their research, the chambers Election Watch 2020 page is intended to streamline the process for you, in a non-partisan way. Official summaries and background information are made readily available for voters to access and know exactly what they are voting for.
Small businesses are the backbone to our economy. Lets make sure we vote in favor of them this November to ensure their continued success, especially after the economic downfall our business community faced given the global pandemic.
With all this being said, I couldnt be more excited about participating in this election. I hope everyone joins, whether safely in person or via vote-by-mail. With everything going on, people keep asking the question, Which side of history are you going to be on? I think the bigger question is, Are you going to be a part of history?
Ivan Volschenk is managing partner of Evolve Business Strategies, which manages the SCV Chamber of Commerce.
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market: Chemically Defined Mediums Adaptation to Boost Market Growth - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Stem cells, like Rosh Hashanah, give the opportunity to be reborn - The Jerusalem Post - September 15th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market to witness astonishing growth by 2026 | AbbVie, The Merck KGaA Group, Bionomics, Lonza Group - The PRNews Pulse - September 15th, 2020
- LAVA Therapeutics, Amsterdam UMC and Monash University Announce Publication of a Novel Cancer Immunotherapy Approach in Nature Cancer - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To 2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Phase 3 TOURMALINE-MM2 Study Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in Treating Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - September 15th, 2020
- GlycoT Therapeutics Grants Sublicense of Glycoengineering Technology to Daiichi Sankyo - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Global (North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Latin America and the Asia Pacific) Market Status and... - August 29th, 2020
- Fighting Disease with Developments to Stem Cell Research - News-Medical.net - August 29th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Red & Black Student... - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2029 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Radiation Therapy on Survivors of Pediatric Abdominal and Pelvic Tumors - Cancer Network - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals all after doctors gave him blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cell t - The Irish Sun - August 29th, 2020
- First Woman May Be Cured of HIV Without a Bone Marrow Transplant - POZ - August 29th, 2020
- Sterile Filtration Market To Reach USD 8.48 Billion By 2027 | CAGR: 7.7% | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- The Science of Survival: Evolving Research in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Reuters - August 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2025 - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Success in Developing a Stem Cell Lentiviral Gene Therapy for Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) - PRNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Top Industry Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., AbbVie, Inc., Merck KGaA, Bionomics, Lonza, Stemline... - August 25th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Outlook, Share, Growth Analysis, Trends and top manufacture like Cellular Dynamics... - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 - The Baytown Sun - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapies Market on a Steady Growth Trail; Future Market Insights Provides Projections in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic in its New... - August 25th, 2020
- Longevity And Anti-Senescence Therapy Market Latest Advancements And Industry Outlook 2018 To 2023 - The News Brok - August 25th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market: What to Expect from Industry in 2020? - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- North America ultra-low temperature freezer market is anticipated to reach US$ 313.19 million in 2027 from US$ 220.25 million in 2019 - GlobeNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Identifies Novel Mechanism of Action of AmnioStem Adult Stem Cell Product in Stroke - BioSpace - August 20th, 2020
- Stanford Children's Health Appoints New Chief of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, Stem Cell Transplantation, and Regenerative Medicine - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Get First-Ever Look at a Rare but Vital Stem Cell in Humans - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2020
- OU professor awarded $550,178 grant by National Science Foundation - College of Arts and Sciences - 2020 - News - OU Magazine - News at OU - August 20th, 2020
- Israelis and Emiratis to develop COVID-19 stem-cell therapy - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - August 20th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market 2020-2025: The Potential of Stem Cell Therapy in Nerve Repair and Regeneration Fuels Opportunity -... - August 20th, 2020
- Shielded Stem Cells Improve The Cells' Ability To Heal Heart Injuries - Interesting Engineering - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Beating Growth Expectations- MEDIPOST, BIOTIME, BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics, Caladrius, JCR Pharmaceuticals, AlloSource -... - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose... - August 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Trends, Growth Insight, Leaders, Services and Forecast to 2025 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers find method to regrow cartilage in the joints - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 19th, 2020
- Israel and UAE team up on stem cell therapy research for COVID-19 - UPI News - August 19th, 2020
- Latest News 2020: Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market by Coronavirus-COVID19 Impact Analysis With Top Manufacturers Analysis | Top Players: Anika... - August 19th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market Expected to Expand at a CAGR of 14.1% during 2018-2027 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Research Report 2020 Obervational Studies with Top Manufacturers like Athersys,... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Emerging Trends, Strong Application Scope, Size, Status, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 - Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Research Report by Technology, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 16th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Focusing on Growth, Demand & Scope by 2026| Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - August 16th, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2018 2026 - Scientect - August 16th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire - August 16th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Gain Momentum among Stem Cell Research Institutes Due to Cost-effectiveness and Quality They Offer - TMR Research Blog - August 14th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Summary, Trends, Sizing Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - National Post - August 14th, 2020
- Global Totipotent Stem Cell Market Insights And Extensive Research (2020-2025) | Company A - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- Future of Cancer Stem Cell Reviewed in a New Study Owned - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- US FDA Advisory Committee Votes Nine to One in Favor of Remestemcel-L (Ryoncil) for Efficacy in Children With Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft Versus... - August 14th, 2020
- Global and United States Epithelial Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High... - August 14th, 2020
- Biological Safety Testing Market: Segment of Reagents and Kits to Witness Promising Growth Due to Introduction of Innovative Technologies - BioSpace - August 14th, 2020
- Cell Sorting Market Research Report by Technology, by Offering, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19... - August 14th, 2020
- California Propositions on the 2020 Ballot - Fullerton Observer - August 13th, 2020
- Experimental COVID treatment may have saved man's life - 10News - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 13th, 2020
- Drug development for severe respiratory diseases supported with $3.9 million grant - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - August 13th, 2020
- Jasper Therapeutics Strengthens Management Team with Appointment of Biopharma Industry Executive Kevin N. Heller, M.D., as Executive Vice President,... - August 13th, 2020
- Training neural circuits early in development improves response, study finds - University of Illinois News - August 13th, 2020
- Microcarrier Bioreactor Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Danaher, BD - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Technologies Market Research Report by Product, by Process, by Cell Type, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors -... - August 13th, 2020
- High-throughput 3D screening for differentiation of hPSC-derived cell therapy candidates - Science Advances - August 7th, 2020
- Study: Early training of cell development and network improves response - News-Medical.Net - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Report PDF 2020 Key Players Advanced... - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- New Research Sheds Light on the Temporary Loss of Smell Stemming from COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 7th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Equipment Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 7th, 2020
- With over 280 therapies under evaluation, the stem cell therapy market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 2029 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020