Grafting neurons grown from monkeys own cells into their brains relieved the debilitating movement and depression symptoms associated with Parkinsons disease, researchers at the University of WisconsinMadison reported today.
In a study published in the journal Nature Medicine, the UW team describes its success with neurons made from induced pluripotent stem cells from the monkeys own bodies. This approach avoided complications with the primates immune systems and takes an important step toward a treatment for millions of human Parkinsons patients.
This result in primates is extremely powerful, particularly for translating our discoveries to the clinic, says UWMadison neuroscientist Su-Chun Zhang, whose Waisman Center lab grew the brain cells.
Parkinsons disease damages neurons in the brain that produce dopamine, a brain chemical that transmits signals between nerve cells. The disrupted signals make it progressively harder to coordinate muscles for even simple movements and cause rigidity, slowness and tremors that are the diseases hallmark symptoms. Patients especially those in earlier stages of Parkinsons are typically treated with drugs like L-DOPA to increase dopamine production.
Those drugs work well for many patients, but the effect doesnt last, says Marina Emborg, a Parkinsons researcher at UWMadisons Wisconsin National Primate Research Center. Eventually, as the disease progresses and their motor symptoms get worse, they are back to not having enough dopamine, and side effects of the drugs appear.
Scientists have tried with some success to treat later-stage Parkinsons in patients by implanting cells from fetal tissue, but research and outcomes were limited by the availability of useful cells and interference from patients immune systems. Zhangs lab has spent years learning how to dial donor cells from a patient back into a stem cell state, in which they have the power to grow into nearly any kind of cell in the body, and then redirect that development to create neurons.
The idea is very simple, Zhang says. When you have stem cells, you can generate the right type of target cells in a consistent manner. And when they come from the individual you want to graft them into, the body recognizes and welcomes them as their own.
The application was less simple. More than a decade in the works, the new study began in earnest with a dozen rhesus monkeys several years ago. A neurotoxin was administered a common practice for inducing Parkinsons-like damage for research and Emborgs lab evaluated the monkeys monthly to assess the progression of symptoms.
We evaluated through observation and clinical tests how the animals walk, how they grab pieces of food, how they interact with people and also with PET imaging we measured dopamine production, Emborg says. (PET is positron emission tomography, a type of medical imaging.) We wanted symptoms that resemble a mature stage of the disease.
The neuron-grafting approach in monkeys takes an important step toward a treatment for millions of human Parkinsons patients.
Guided by real-time MRI that can be used during procedures and was developed at UWMadison by biomedical engineer Walter Block during the course of the Parkinsons study, the researchers injected millions of dopamine-producing neurons and supporting cells into each monkeys brain in an area called the striatum, which is depleted of dopamine as a consequence of the ravaging effects of Parkinsons in neurons.
Half the monkeys received a graft made from their own induced pluripotent stem cells (called an autologous transplant). Half received cells from other monkeys (an allogenic transplant). And that made all the difference.
Within six months, the monkeys that got grafts of their own cells were making significant improvements. Within a year, their dopamine levels had doubled and tripled.
The autologous animals started to move more, Emborg says. Where before they needed to grab the cage to stand up, they started moving much more fluidly and grabbing food much faster and easier.
The monkeys who received allogenic cells showed no such lasting boost in dopamine or improvement in muscle strength or control, and the physical differences in the brains were stark. The axons the extensions of nerve cells that reach out to carry electrical impulses to other cells of the autologous grafts were long and intermingled with the surrounding tissue.
They could grow freely and extend far out within the striatum, says Yunlong Tao, a scientist in Zhangs lab and first author of the study. In the allogenic monkeys, where the grafts are treated as foreign cells by the immune system, they are attacked to stop the spread of the axons.
The results are promising enough that Zhang hopes to begin work on applications for human patients soon.
The missing connections leave the allogenic graft walled off from the rest of the brain, denying them opportunities to renew contacts with systems beyond muscle management.
Although Parkinsons is typically classified as a movement disorder, anxiety and depression are typical, too, Emborg says. In the autologous animals, we saw extension of axons from the graft into areas that have to do with whats called the emotional brain.
Symptoms that resemble depression and anxiety pacing, disinterest in others and even in favorite treats abated after the autologous grafts grew in. The allogenic monkeys symptoms remained unchanged or worsened.
The results are promising enough that Zhang hopes to begin work on applications for human patients soon. In particular, Zhang says, the work Tao did in the new study to help measure the relationship between symptom improvement, graft size and resulting dopamine production gives the researchers a predictive tool for developing effective human grafts.
This research was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health (NS076352, NS096282, NS086604, U54 HD090256 and P51OD011106), the National Medical Research Council of Singapore, the Dr. Ralph & Marian Falk Medical Research Trust and UWMadison.
Read the original post:
- Cellino Biotech developing tech to help scale stem cell therapies - MedCity News - April 14th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry Report 2021: Methods of Commercializing iPSCs are Diverse and Continue to Expand -... - April 14th, 2021
- A Massive New Gene Editing Project Is Out to Crush Alzheimer's - Singularity Hub - April 14th, 2021
- eQcell Inc Announces the Appointment of Members of the Board of Directors - BioSpace - April 14th, 2021
- Researchers Receive Grant to Improve Cellular Therapies to Treat 'Incurable' Diseases - University of Arkansas Newswire - April 14th, 2021
- Lonza Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Nucleofector Cell Transfection Platform - Technology Networks - April 14th, 2021
- New consortium aims to accelerate development of stem cell-based therapies for Huntingtons disease - News-Medical.Net - April 10th, 2021
- Strengthening the Stem Cell Industry Through Better Regulation - The Regulatory Review - April 10th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry Report 2021: Research, Patents, Funding Events, Industry Partnerships, Biomedical... - April 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplantation May Be Offered Less Often as a Treatment Option for Some Patients with Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - April 10th, 2021
- Real-time imaging shines light on the coordination of neural stem cell activation - News-Medical.net - April 10th, 2021
- Searching for Molecular Targets in Myeloid Malignancies and Beyond - OncLive - April 10th, 2021
- Fitore Nutrition Launches Spectrum + to Better the Lives of Children With Autism - Influencive - April 10th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cells Market By Size Estimation, Growth Rate, Regional Analysis With with the CAGR of 11.0% Over the Forecast Period. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 10th, 2021
- global market for regenerative medicines is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 13.99% over the forecast period of 2020-2030 - GlobeNewswire - April 10th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market New Business Opportunities And Investment Research Report 2020-2027 | Coherent Market Insights KSU | The... - April 10th, 2021
- Celularity Announces Multiple Presentations at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting 2021 - GlobeNewswire - April 10th, 2021
- New local publication and book-signing event - Bowling Green Daily News - April 6th, 2021
- Human blastocyst-like structures generated entirely from pluripotent stem cells. Shifting the paradigm of developmental biology? - ESHRE - April 3rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Cellular Dynamics... - April 3rd, 2021
- New approach to CAR T gene therapy yields efficient and longer-lasting response against HIV - News-Medical.Net - April 3rd, 2021
- New research offers hope to women with POI - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - April 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi Pharmaceuticals,... - April 3rd, 2021
- The entelechy test: embryos and simbryos - BioNews - March 30th, 2021
- Multiple sclerosis: Recent research on causes and treatments - Medical News Today - March 30th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Conference, NCRM NICHE with Fujio Cup Quiz (FCQ), E-poster and Edogawa NICH - Times of India - March 30th, 2021
- Study: Anti-Inflammatory Therapies Could Reduce Heart Disease Risk in Elderly Patients With Clonal Hematopoiesis - Pharmacy Times - March 30th, 2021
- Can This New Electrophysiology Technology Boost Neurology Research? - Labiotech.eu - March 30th, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis ToolMarket Size, Share, Industry Analysis, Forecast and Global Research Report to 2027 - The Market Eagle - March 30th, 2021
- Researchers describe the systems that manage embryonic stem cells - Microbioz India - March 26th, 2021
- Cell therapy player Fate Therapeutics sees CSO and 12-year veteran Shoemaker retire - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2021
- Stem cells - a mix of promise and hype - ABC News - March 26th, 2021
- Global Vaccine, Insulin and Stem Cell Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis 2020-2026 The Bisouv Network... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy could help restore debilitating age-related muscle loss - News-Medical.Net - March 24th, 2021
- Cell Culture: Disrupting the Meat Industry - Open Access Government - March 24th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research and New Developments 2021-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 24th, 2021
- Two In-Space Production Applications and Calls for Proposals Announced - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - March 24th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020-2027 Onset of Advanced Technologies to Upsurge the Growth The Courier - The Courier - March 24th, 2021
- Trending News: Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market New Research Report 2021 to 2027| Anika Therapeutics, Zimmer Biomet, BioTissue Technologies -... - March 24th, 2021
- Researchers Have Grown 'Human Embryos' From Skin Cells. Is It Ethical? - The Wire Science - March 20th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy could help bear recover from painful disease - FOX 35 Orlando - March 20th, 2021
- The J&J vaccine was developed with stem cells. Thats caused confusion and division among Catholics. - OregonLive - March 20th, 2021
- Adipose-derived Stem Cell Overview Market Trend, Growth, Size, Forecast, Key Players and Competitive Landscape Research Report by2027 The Courier -... - March 20th, 2021
- Scientists Grow Tear Gland Organoids That Can Actually Cry - Freethink - March 20th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future 2018 to 2028 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - March 18th, 2021
- Catholic opinions on Johnson & Johnson vaccine highlight debate between hardliners on abortion and others in the church - Fairfield Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Original Error: Retracing the History of the Mutation That Gave Rise to Cancer Decades Later - SciTechDaily - March 11th, 2021
- Super-resolution system microscopy can reveal pluripotency and differentiation of live stem cells - News-Medical.net - March 11th, 2021
- New multi-faculty Centre for Cell Therapy Translation gives UCalgary skin in the game for regenerative medicine research - UCalgary News - March 11th, 2021
- Policymakers urged to extend the 14-day limit on embryo research - BioNews - March 11th, 2021
- The Sacramento Business Journal announced that Cate Dyer, CEO, and founder of StemExpress, has been selected as one of SBJ's 2021 Most Admired CEOs -... - March 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus Insights: Ongoing Updates Covering The Impact On Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market - The Courier - March 11th, 2021
- Longeveron and University of Miami Expand Exclusive License Agreement, and Enter into CRADA To Facilitate Future Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Adipose Stem Cells (ASCS) Market 2021 Global Analysis and Outlook: LifeCell, EMD Millipore, Geron, BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics, Minerva... - March 11th, 2021
- Stem cells: Therapy, controversy, and research - March 5th, 2021
- Human embryo research beyond the primitive streak - Science - March 5th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size to Reach USD 5325.8 Million by 2027 | Increasing R&D Activities in the Fields of Oncology, Neurobiology, and Stem... - March 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Reveals Enhanced Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 FLA News - FLA News - March 5th, 2021
- Astrocytes Derived from Patients with Bipolar Disorder Malfunction - UC San Diego Health - March 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Booming Market To Hit $ 18.66 Billion By 2027 With Top Key Players Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. (US), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd.... - March 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Derived Exosome Production in Stirred-Tank Bioreactors - BioProcess Insider - March 5th, 2021
- Researchers study iPSCs to uncover genetic causes of disease - Drug Target Review - March 5th, 2021
- Moderna Hires Harvard Stem Cell Researcher Jonathan Hoggatt as Director of Hematology: What You Need to Know - Benzinga - March 5th, 2021
- Intrapericardial injection provides a less invasive means of treating cardiac injury - News-Medical.Net - March 5th, 2021
- New Controversy for Stem Cell Therapy That Repairs Spinal Cords - The Great Courses Daily News - March 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 3rd, 2021
- NSAIDs to Treat Arthritic Canines Through 2028; Stem Cell Therapies to Invigorate Canine Arthritis T - PharmiWeb.com - March 3rd, 2021
- A region within GLI1 gene could potentially be targeted as cancer treatment - News-Medical.Net - March 3rd, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2020 Financial Results and Recent Program Highlights - Galveston County Daily News - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 2025 Research Report Segment Outlook, Growth Potentials and Analysis of COVID-19 Worldwide Outbreak KSU... - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Autologous stem cell and Non-stem cell based Therapies Market- Industry Analysis, Growth, Segmentation and Forecast-2019-2027 - The Bisouv... - March 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Witness an Outstanding Growth and Strong Revenue and Forecast 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 3rd, 2021
- New study launches into COVID-19 vaccine responses in patients with impaired immune systems - University of Birmingham - March 3rd, 2021
- U. Cancer Center pilot projects: investigating cancer connections - The Brown Daily Herald - March 3rd, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 | Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 The Bisouv Network - The... - March 1st, 2021
- Human Lung and Brain Organoids Respond Differently to SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Lab Tests - UC San Diego Health - March 1st, 2021
- Contemporary Critical Care Complications of Stem Cell Transplant/Cellular Therapies - TMC News - Texas Medical Center News - March 1st, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Size-Share Analysis and System Production | Addressing the Potential Impact of COVID-19 Top Companies FLA... - February 21st, 2021
- Studies Show ApoE4 Carriers Appear More Susceptible to COVID-19Experts Say the Jury Is Still Out - Being Patient - February 21st, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021