Gamida Cell Ltd., a maker of cell and immune therapy technologies, on Wednesday published the results of a key late-stage clinical trial of its flagship drug, which aims to increase the success of bone marrow transplants in blood cancer patients triggering a surge in its Nasdaq-traded shares.
Gamidas shares jumped almost 26% on the US exchange Wednesday. The shares have advanced 163% in the past 12 months, leading to a company valuation of $733 million. The firm held its initial public offering of shares on the Nasdaq in 2019 to help finance the final stage trial of the drug.
The phase three study tested the safety and efficacy of its omidubicel drug, previously called NiCord, in patients with blood-based cancers.
Get The Start-Up Israel's Daily Start-Up by email and never miss our top storiesFree Sign Up
The data showed that omidubicel resulted in faster blood count recovery, fewer bacterial and viral infections, and fewer days in the hospital.
Stem cells in bag in Gamida Cells Jerusalem lab, July 2017 (Shoshanna Solomon/TimesofIsrael)
All of these are meaningful results and represent potentially important advancements in care when considering the patient experience following transplant, said Mitchell Horwitz, principal investigator and professor of medicine at the Duke Cancer Institute, in a statement released by the Jerusalem-based firm.
The data was from the international, multi-center, randomized Phase 3 study of the drug, designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of omidubicel in patients with high-risk hematologic malignancies undergoing a bone marrow transplant compared with a group of patients who received a standard umbilical cord blood transplant.
In May, the firm said that the study yielded positive results and met a major target showing that omidubicel led to a statistically significant reduction in the time needed to for patients to begin making healthy new cells after receiving stem cells, which is a key milestone in a patients recovery from a bone marrow transplant.
Omidubicel, which would be the first drug developed by Gamida to hit the market, is believed to increase the chances of a successful bone marrow transplantation process for patients who do not have a rapidly available, fully matched bone marrow donor.
Julian Adams, chief executive officer of Gamida Cell (Courtesy)
Despite the curative potential of bone marrow transplant, it is estimated that more than 40 percent of eligible patients in the United States do not receive a transplant for various reasons, including the lack of a matched donor.
Today some high-risk blood cancers cannot be cured unless the patient undergoes a bone marrow graft. For that purpose, a perfect match needs to be found, a process that in the US takes an average of three to four months, if the patient is lucky. Sometimes, no match is found.
Umbilical cord blood collected from newborn babies contains stem cells, which can be used to treat diseases. Today cord-blood banks around the world store the cord blood. Its great advantage is that because it is so young, there is no need for a full tissue matching and a partial match is enough. Most patients generally find at least one unit of cord blood that partially matches them.
The problem is that the quantity of cells in each unit is not huge, and it is the number of stem cells in the cord blood that is critical to the success of transplantation.
Gamida overcomes this limitation by expanding the number of stem cells within one unit of umbilical cord blood and enhancing their performance.
The firm said Wednesday that it expects to submit a Biologics License Application to the US Food and Drug Administration for omidubicel in the second half of this year.
We believe that omidubicel has the potential to transform the field of hematopoietic bone marrow transplant by expanding access to this potentially curative cell therapy treatment for thousands of patients who are in need of a transplant but lack access to a matched related donor, said Julian Adams, chief executive officer of Gamida Cell, which was founded in 1998.
Youre serious. We appreciate that!
Were really pleased that youve read X Times of Israel articles in the past month.
Thats why we come to work every day - to provide discerning readers like you with must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.
So now we have a request. Unlike other news outlets, we havent put up a paywall. But as the journalism we do is costly, we invite readers for whom The Times of Israel has become important to help support our work by joining The Times of Israel Community.
For as little as $6 a month you can help support our quality journalism while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.
The rest is here:
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies... - March 5th, 2021
- Black people are three times less likely to find a bone marrow donor than white people - WLNS - March 5th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Spin-off Campbell Neurosciences Announces Umbilical Cord Derived Monocyte Immunotherapy Candidate for Suicide... - March 5th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 In-depth study, Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2025 The... - March 5th, 2021
- Why Global Cord Blood Corporation Stock Is Jumping Today - Motley Fool - March 3rd, 2021
- NYCU shares lung therapy data with firms - - March 3rd, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market (2020-2025) | Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term... - March 3rd, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Analysis By Industry Value, Size, Top Companies And Growth Forecast To 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Corp.: Subscriber Growth Continues With 23% EPS CAGR And 25% FCF Yield - Seeking Alpha - March 3rd, 2021
- Overcoming chemotherapy resistance in leukemia with a diarrhea drug from Merck - FierceBiotech - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market 2021 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by... - February 21st, 2021
- Global Research Antibodies Market 2017-2027 - Global Market is Forecast to Reach $5.33 Billion, Growing at a CAGR of 5.9% to 2027 -... - February 19th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis Holdings Begins a Year of Celebration of its 35th Anniversary in the Cell Banking and Cell Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Thawing Equipment Market 2020 Global Industry Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Demands Research Report|| Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - February 17th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market Size and Forecast (2021-2027) | By Top Leading Players ThermoGenesis, CBR Systems, China Cord Blood... - February 17th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Profiling Allosource, Medipost and Mesoblast Among Others - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Reach USD 214.5 Million by 2024 - The Courier - February 12th, 2021
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Current Scenario, Shares, Latest Innovations, Analysis and Forecasts to 2023 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 12th, 2021
- GMDA Stock Price Increases Over 40% Pre-Market: Why It Happened - Pulse 2.0 - February 12th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Factors Boosting Industry To Record An Impressive Growth The Courier - The Courier - February 12th, 2021
- Growth Factors of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market with Emerging Trends and Revenue Estimation By 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 12th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 3rd, 2021
- India Stem Cell Market speedy growth at US$ 1.27 Bn by 2028 with Thermofisher Scientific India, Pluristem Technologies, Becton Dickinson Private... - February 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 ... - January 28th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Regression of Glioma, Lung Cancer and Colorectal Cancer using StemVacs in Animal Models - PRNewswire - January 28th, 2021
- Trending News: Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Analysis Overview and Forecast To 2026 | Top players: Athersys, Astellas Pharma, Anterogen,... - January 28th, 2021
- Every day is a success for little boy with leukaemia after life-saving transplant - Grimsby Live - January 28th, 2021
- [Full text] Clinical Analysis of Bloodstream Infections During Agranulocytosis Aft | IDR - Dove Medical Press - January 19th, 2021
- Industry News: RheinCell Therapeutics achieves milestone GMP certification to manufacture cord blood-derived iPSCs for safe and compliant cell... - January 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Is Expected To Gain Market Growth In The Forecast Period Of 2020 To 2026||ViaCord, CBR Systems, Inc, SMART CELLS PLUS,... - January 17th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Highlights Recent Progress and Expected Timing of 2021 Milestones, Including Fo - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market To Register Phenomenal Growth and Competitive Outlook 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 17th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 17th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Opportunities and Growth Forecast 2025 - KSU | The... - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Report Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological Advancement,... - January 10th, 2021
- Global Organ and Tissue Transplantation and Alternatives Market to 2024 - Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Overview of current adipose-derived stem cell (ADSCs) processing involved in therapeutic advancements: flow chart and regulation updates before and... - January 6th, 2021
- Hemostemix steps into the new year with capital and its critical clinical study data in hand - InvestorIntel - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Competitive Intelligence, SWOT Analysis, Strategies, And Tracking Report 2021 2026 | Chart, Shengjie... - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 4th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | BioCell Pty. Ltd., Kaneka... - December 30th, 2020
- "Vital To Life" Blood Drive Returns To iPlay America On January 2nd - New Jersey Stage - December 30th, 2020
- He got his cheek swabbed at 24. Nothing happened for 14 years. - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 27th, 2020
- Research Assistant - Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 239606 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 27th, 2020
- Organ and Tissue Transplantation and Alternatives - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Systems Market Growth, Ongoing Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 | CBR Systems, China... - December 23rd, 2020
- Outlook on the Biopreservation Global Market to 2026 - Profiling Avantor, BioLife Solutions and ThermoGenesis Among Others - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2020
- Jet It Partners with Be The Match to Aid Life-Saving Transportation - WFMZ Allentown - December 20th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Market to explore huge growth in the upcoming period 2020-2028| Key Players Cord Blood America, Inc, Cordlife Group... - December 17th, 2020
- Jet It Partners with Be The Match to Aid Life-Saving Transportation - Avery Journal Times - December 17th, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells: Current and Future Benefits for ... - December 17th, 2020
- Ash Pollard's wise words on navigating the newborn trenches - Now To Love - December 17th, 2020
- 2017 Amtrak tragedy becomes call-to-action for Blood Donor Day this Sat., Dec. 18 - SeaTac Blog - December 17th, 2020
- What is Cord Blood? | CBR - December 11th, 2020
- SNUH finds way to produce T-cells to prevent HSCT complications - Korea Biomedical Review - December 11th, 2020
- Biobanking Market Reflecting Growth Propelled by its Extensive Industrial Applications: Fact.MR - Yahoo Finance - December 11th, 2020
- Is it Time to Dump Gamida Cell Ltd (GMDA) Stock After it Is Higher By 39.15% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - December 11th, 2020
- Blood stem cell donation need of the hour as blood cancer cases rise - United News of India - December 6th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Report 2020: Market Competition Trend and Price by Manufacturers till 2026 - Factory Maintenance - December 6th, 2020
- Trends Of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2027 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Chart, Worthington Industries,... - December 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market | Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026 - Khabar South... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Growth and Current Status of Industry Surveyed in New Research Report | (2020-2027) - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis of Key Players, Trends, Drivers - Khabar South Asia - December 1st, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 to Show Tremendous Growth || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, PerkinElmer Inc,... - December 1st, 2020
- Vitalant to Hold Blood Donation Event on December 5 in Freehold - TAPinto.net - December 1st, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market is Driven by Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Life-threatening Diseases - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- The roles bone marrow plays in the body - Therogersvillereview - November 28th, 2020
- Revenue from the Sales of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness Relatively Significant Growth During 2017 2025 - Canaan Mountain... - November 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking emerges as a lifesaver - India Education Diary - November 25th, 2020
- Septic shock and pneumonia triggered by SARS-CoV-2 could be treated by radiation-activated MSCs - News-Medical.Net - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Product Type, End User and by Region-Trends and Forecast to 2026|China Cord Blood Corp, CBR... - November 20th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends & Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 14th, 2020