Dr. Sen-itiroh Hakomori couldnt leave his lab work alone. He would often log 13-hour days, seven days a week, and even spend some time at his job on Christmas morning, intensely focused on his glycosphingolipid medical and biochemical research.
I realized fairly recently that all of the cells are just like a pet. You have to check up on them and make sure that things are going well because theyre alive, said his daughter Naoko Vaughn. As children, we did not understand why he went to work every single day. I realized that he had to.
Vaughns father, who she said had a heart of gold and would help anybody, died of natural causes at the age of 91 on Nov. 10 at his home on Mercer Island.
Roger Laine, a colleague and friend who was the last professor to visit Hakomori, said that he was truly a pioneering scientist in glycobiology, a field in which he spent seven decades participating in groundbreaking studies.
He worked most of his career showing differences between cancer cells and normal cells that could be targeted for therapy. If you asked him what was his goal in life, he would answer, cure cancer, said Laine, a professor, scientist and researcher at Louisiana State University.
Hakomori is survived by his wife, Mitsuko (they were married for 74 years); Vaughn; sons, Yoichiro and Kenjiro; four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; two brothers and a sister.
A native of Japan, professor Hakomori made crucial contributions to new cancer-cell studies at the Cancer Research Institute at Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, and continued his vast research in the field when the family immigrated to the United States to the Boston area.
The family moved from Boston to Bellevue in the late 1960s and set up their new home on Mercer Island 46 years ago. Hakomori relocated his family to the Pacific Northwest to become involved with the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and served as University of Washington professor of pathobiology and professor of microbiology. He was named a UW professor emeritus of pathobiology and global health in 2006.
Hakomori retired at the age of 88, finishing his career working at the Pacific Northwest Cancer Center in Seattle. During a celebration in Japan three years ago, Hakomori who was a member of the prestigious National Academy of Sciences spoke to the attendees and noted, We are all globally connected with research and science.
His two sons reflected on their fathers vital contribution to their lives.
Dad was passionate about his work and a great mentor to many of his younger colleagues. He has inspired me to try to emulate that passion in the work I do as an architect and professor, said Yoichiro.
Added Kenjiro: Dad taught me by example to work hard on trying to find out and work on resolving research questions it is a lifelong passion.
Vaughn added that her father instilled a high-level work ethic in his children, telling them, Whatever you do, whatever you choose to do, whatever your passion is, you do it 120 percent.
Hakomori made a worldwide impact with his research and was nominated five times for the Nobel Prize in chemistry. He received numerous awards, including the Philip Levine Immunohematology Award, the Karl Meyer Award from the Society of Glycobiology and the Rosalind Kornfield Award for Lifetime Achievement in Glycobiology.
He published 585 articles in peer-reviewed journals, and a pair of his many major scientific achievements were methylation analysis of glycoconjugates with mass spectrometry, and cell adhesion based on carbohydrate-carbohydrate interaction, particularly through GSL clusters at the embryonic stem cell surface.
He was very honored in his work, and he did not do it for money. He was very much just trying to help, which is rare these days, said Vaughn, adding that a host of his students and colleagues from around the world are assembling a memorial for her father to be published in a glycosphingolipid journal.
He was just a wonderful person. I think the most important thing is his colleagues really admired him. He made them successful in their lives, Vaughn added.
When Sarah Spiegel was a graduate student, she was drawn to Hakomoris papers and reviews on the role of glycoconjugates in cancer. Those documents sparked her imagination and inspired her to pursue a career in sphingolipids, she wrote on the Evergreen Washelli Funeral Home & Cemetery memorial page.
He was a champion of advancing careers of young female scientists and his generous spirit influenced my generation and generations to come, said Spiegel, Ph.D., professor and chair in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine. His legacy will live on through the works of countless researchers who continue working in the field of sphingolipids and many colleagues throughout the world will miss him tremendously.
In consideration of how we voice our opinions in the modern world, weve closed comments on our websites. We value the opinions of our readers and we encourage you to keep the conversation going.
Please feel free to share your story tips by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.mi-reporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (Well only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 300 words or less, we wont ask you to shorten it.
Read this article:
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2029 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - April 20th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Technologies and Applications Market 2020-2030 - GlobeNewswire - April 16th, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Industry Market 2021 In-depth Industry Analysis, Growth By 2027:Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - April 6th, 2021
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher,... - April 6th, 2021
- Scientists grow and observe mouse embryos outside the womb - ISRAEL21c - April 6th, 2021
- New Michigan law requires those receiving Johnson & Johnson vaccine be told it was developed using stem cells | TheHill - The Hill - April 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovations and Trends to Boost Growth during 2021-2028 | Astellas Pharma Inc, Cellular Engineering Technologies,... - April 6th, 2021
- Xenobots 2.0 are Here and Still Developed With Frog Stem Cells - Unite.AI - April 6th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2029 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 29th, 2021
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells | The Embryo Project Encyclopedia - March 24th, 2021
- Sydney archbishop urges 'deep breath' after news of artificial embryos - Long Island Catholic - March 24th, 2021
- Researchers grow mouse embryos outside the uterus to reveal hidden growth stages - SlashGear - March 20th, 2021
- Industry Overview of Stem Cell Treatments: Market Report Based on Development, Scope, Share, Trends, Forecast to 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 15th, 2021
- A Genetic Curse, a Scared Mom, and the Quest to 'Fix' Embryos - WIRED - March 13th, 2021
- Deciphering epiblast lumenogenesis reveals proamniotic cavity control of embryo growth and patterning - Science Advances - March 11th, 2021
- Promising stem-cell based drug for treatment of ALS receives patent - The Jerusalem Post - March 11th, 2021
- Human embryo research beyond the primitive streak - Science Magazine - March 11th, 2021
- Detroit mayor turned down J&J vaccine in favor of others - WCNC.com - March 11th, 2021
- 14 Advantages and Disadvantages of Embryonic Stem Cell ... - March 7th, 2021
- Embryonic stem cell | biology | Britannica - March 7th, 2021
- Is the coronavirus vaccine made from fetal cell lines? - March 7th, 2021
- Effect of Nanog overexpression on the metastatic potential of a mouse melanoma cell line B16-BL6 - DocWire News - March 7th, 2021
- Gene behind third of cancers turned off by scientists - Yahoo Sports - March 3rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | CellTherapies P/L,... - March 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Reviews, Segments, Revenue, and Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 1st, 2021
- Innovative Stem Cells Market Research Report Segmented by Applications, Geography, Trends and Projection 2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - March 1st, 2021
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Industry Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027:Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - February 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 | Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast up to 2027 - NY Market Reports - February 25th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Growth ratio, Top Players and Fut - PharmiWeb.com - February 25th, 2021
- The Very First Signs of an Immune Response Have Been Filmed in a Developing Embryo - ScienceAlert - February 14th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - Yahoo Eurosport UK - February 10th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 10th, 2021
- Study identifies major flaws in iBMEC-based models of the blood-brain barrier - News-Medical.Net - February 10th, 2021
- Harnessing the Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - OncLive - February 5th, 2021
- When scientific data is too good to be true - Haaretz - February 5th, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market increasing demand with Industry Professionalist |know the Brand Players forecast 2027 Jumbo News - Jumbo... - February 5th, 2021
- Should We Double The Age When Science Can Experiment On Babies? - 550 KTSA - February 5th, 2021
- Push on to Allow Expanded Human-Embryo Research - National Review - February 3rd, 2021
- Missouri State Representative Indicted Over Alleged Stem Cell Therapy Scam - IFLScience - February 3rd, 2021
- ToolGen ties up with 3D bioprinting company to apply induced pluripotent stem cells to gene correction - Aju Business Daily - February 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - February 3rd, 2021
- Louisiana Right to Life: COVID-19 vaccines and abortion - The Baptist Message - January 16th, 2021
- Organoids show how mutations in top autism gene may lead to brain overgrowth in people - Spectrum - January 16th, 2021
- Reversing The Aging Clock With Epigenetic Reprogramming - Bio-IT World - January 16th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Factor Bioscience spins out a new cell therapy player with eyes on the clinic within 2 years - Endpoints News - January 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2017-2025 - NeighborWebSJ - December 25th, 2020
- Israeli biotech firm's ALS treatment shows safety of use in trials - The Jerusalem Post - December 18th, 2020
- Ca Bishops To Work w/ Govt on Vaccination Campaigns - Catholic Herald Online - December 15th, 2020
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market 2019 Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Trends and - PharmiWeb.com - December 10th, 2020
- Accelerating Sales in North America to Drive the Stem Cell Therapy market between 2020 and 2030 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market in Global : Current and the Future Trends: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell Technologies Inc - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- GFI1: New Role Uncovered for a Protein Involved in Hearing : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo -... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- This Date in UCSF History: Election Offers Mixed Bag of Results - Synapse - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 28th, 2020
- TRF2-mediated telomere protection is dispensable in pluripotent stem cells - Nature.com - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020: Rising with Immense Development Trends across the Globe by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - November 26th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 26th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Dr. David Steenblock - Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - BlogTalkRadio - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- University of Alberta research team poised to cure diabetesagain - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - November 23rd, 2020
- New Role For Serotonin Identified In The Evolution Of The Developing Brain - Anti Aging News - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - November 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market is Projected to Reach $6,956 million by 2023 | Leading key players are Cord Blood Registry, ViaCord, Cryo-Cell, China Cord... - November 14th, 2020
- California approves billions for stem-cell research - Modern Healthcare - November 14th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Strategic Assessment BioLife Solutions, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - KYT24 - November 14th, 2020
- The heart of a mouse embryo was first created from stem cells - FREE NEWS - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020