Visit the News Hub
New drug candidate targets asthma, COPD, other progressive lung diseases
Shown is a section of mouse lung with progressive lung disease, similar to asthma or COPD. The red staining shows excess mucus production that is characteristic of progressive lung disease and can occur in the aftermath of viral infection or other injury to the lungs. Researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have received a grant to develop a drug to block this process, potentially leading to a new treatment for debilitating lung disorders.
Researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have received a $3.9 million development award supporting new technologies and therapeutics to advance a first-in-class drug to treat debilitating lung diseases, including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The research, funded by the Department of Defense, is led by Michael J. Holtzman, MD, the Selma and Herman Seldin Professor of Medicine and director of the Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine at Washington University.
Holtzmans team has designed a new drug candidate that blocks two important signaling systems in the lungs. These systems cause cells of the respiratory tract to become mucus-producing cells. An overabundance of these cells creates too much mucus, which can block breathing. Evidence suggests that the drug could stop and perhaps even reverse progressive damage from overproduction of mucus that is triggered by aggravations to the lung, including from respiratory viruses, smoking and air pollution.
Obstructive lung diseases, such as asthma and COPD, are the third leading cause of death due to disease in the United States, Holtzman said. But we have no effective treatments that address the root causes of these illnesses or halt disease progression. We can only try to relieve symptoms. This grant will allow us to continue research into a new drug candidate that our group developed and that has shown evidence of stopping and correcting what goes wrong in the lungs when this type of disease process is triggered.
In past research, Holtzman and his colleagues identified specialized stem cells in the lungs that give rise to mucus cells. During development, such stem cells are responsible for growing the lung itself. Some of these stem cells remain in the lungs into adulthood and periodically make new cells to line the inner surfaces of lung tissue, including those cells that make mucus. These stem cells also respond to injury to the lung such as a burn injury from inhaling smoke or a severe viral infection and orchestrate the repair process.
Shown is a section of healthy mouse lung.
We need a certain level of mucus to protect the lungs from viruses or particles that can be inhaled, Holtzman said. The stem cell population is important in maintaining normal lung function and in injury situations, where they help with the healing process. But, unfortunately, in some people these cells can go off the rails. Under certain conditions, particularly a severe respiratory viral infection, these stem cells become reprogrammed so that theyre activated even after the injury or infection is resolved. This leads to overproduction of mucus and excessive inflammation that can interfere with lung function with airway obstruction and difficulty breathing.
The new drug candidate is being designed to be taken by mouth or inhalation and to specifically target two related but distinct signaling molecules known as MAP kinases to control both arms of the immune and inflammatory response. Studying human cells, as well as mouse and pig models of respiratory disease following respiratory viral infections, the researchers found that not only does the drug reduce mucus production, it also nudges the rogue stem cells back toward their quieter and healthier state of readiness. The new grant will support studies in human cells, mice and pigs to establish evidence for the safety and effectiveness of the lead drug candidate and to help determine proper doses for subsequent studies in people. The safety work also will be facilitated by a subcontract to the teams biotechnology company known as NuPeak Therapeutics, which is specially designed for this drug development activity. The goal is to gather data to support approval for a first-in-human clinical trial.
Holtzman said the drug does not treat the viral infection itself; rather, it stops what he calls post-viral disease and its progression, which includes asthma and COPD. Post-viral lung disease also could include COVID-19, as an example of another severe respiratory viral infection that causes progressive and in some cases long-term lung disease in some patients well after the infectious virus has been cleared.
SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is similar to the viruses Holtzman and colleagues are working with to study their new drug candidate. The group is gathering key information in patient and animal models to determine whether the same therapeutic strategy could prove useful in treating COVID-19 as it has been for lung disease due to other related respiratory viruses.
Were just beginning to learn how the body responds to SARS-CoV-2, but it is very common for any respiratory viral infection, especially severe infections, to trigger this progressive disease process in some percentage of the patients who contract the virus, Holtzman said. Whats interesting is that the infectious form of the virus is gone when this process ramps up. Patients arent fighting the virus any more, theyre fighting their own immune system. In future work, we will be interested in finding out whether our drug candidate can help shut this process down regardless of the trigger, viral or otherwise.
This work is supported by the Department of Defense, grant number PR190726. Holtzman founded the biotechnology company NuPeak Therapeutics, which is facilitating development of the drug candidate.
Washington University School of Medicines 1,500 faculty physicians also are the medical staff of Barnes-Jewish and St. Louis Childrens hospitals. The School of Medicine is a leader in medical research, teaching and patient care, ranking among the top 10 medical schools in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Through its affiliations with Barnes-Jewish and St. Louis Childrens hospitals, the School of Medicine is linked to BJC HealthCare.
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market: Chemically Defined Mediums Adaptation to Boost Market Growth - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Stem cells, like Rosh Hashanah, give the opportunity to be reborn - The Jerusalem Post - September 15th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market to witness astonishing growth by 2026 | AbbVie, The Merck KGaA Group, Bionomics, Lonza Group - The PRNews Pulse - September 15th, 2020
- LAVA Therapeutics, Amsterdam UMC and Monash University Announce Publication of a Novel Cancer Immunotherapy Approach in Nature Cancer - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To 2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Phase 3 TOURMALINE-MM2 Study Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in Treating Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - September 15th, 2020
- GlycoT Therapeutics Grants Sublicense of Glycoengineering Technology to Daiichi Sankyo - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Global (North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Latin America and the Asia Pacific) Market Status and... - August 29th, 2020
- Fighting Disease with Developments to Stem Cell Research - News-Medical.net - August 29th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Red & Black Student... - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2029 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Radiation Therapy on Survivors of Pediatric Abdominal and Pelvic Tumors - Cancer Network - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals all after doctors gave him blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cell t - The Irish Sun - August 29th, 2020
- First Woman May Be Cured of HIV Without a Bone Marrow Transplant - POZ - August 29th, 2020
- Sterile Filtration Market To Reach USD 8.48 Billion By 2027 | CAGR: 7.7% | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- The Science of Survival: Evolving Research in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Reuters - August 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2025 - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Success in Developing a Stem Cell Lentiviral Gene Therapy for Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) - PRNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Top Industry Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., AbbVie, Inc., Merck KGaA, Bionomics, Lonza, Stemline... - August 25th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Outlook, Share, Growth Analysis, Trends and top manufacture like Cellular Dynamics... - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 - The Baytown Sun - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapies Market on a Steady Growth Trail; Future Market Insights Provides Projections in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic in its New... - August 25th, 2020
- Longevity And Anti-Senescence Therapy Market Latest Advancements And Industry Outlook 2018 To 2023 - The News Brok - August 25th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market: What to Expect from Industry in 2020? - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- North America ultra-low temperature freezer market is anticipated to reach US$ 313.19 million in 2027 from US$ 220.25 million in 2019 - GlobeNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Identifies Novel Mechanism of Action of AmnioStem Adult Stem Cell Product in Stroke - BioSpace - August 20th, 2020
- Stanford Children's Health Appoints New Chief of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, Stem Cell Transplantation, and Regenerative Medicine - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Get First-Ever Look at a Rare but Vital Stem Cell in Humans - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2020
- OU professor awarded $550,178 grant by National Science Foundation - College of Arts and Sciences - 2020 - News - OU Magazine - News at OU - August 20th, 2020
- Israelis and Emiratis to develop COVID-19 stem-cell therapy - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - August 20th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market 2020-2025: The Potential of Stem Cell Therapy in Nerve Repair and Regeneration Fuels Opportunity -... - August 20th, 2020
- Shielded Stem Cells Improve The Cells' Ability To Heal Heart Injuries - Interesting Engineering - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Beating Growth Expectations- MEDIPOST, BIOTIME, BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics, Caladrius, JCR Pharmaceuticals, AlloSource -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ivan Volschenk | The Voice of Business on 2020 Propositions - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose... - August 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Trends, Growth Insight, Leaders, Services and Forecast to 2025 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers find method to regrow cartilage in the joints - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 19th, 2020
- Israel and UAE team up on stem cell therapy research for COVID-19 - UPI News - August 19th, 2020
- Latest News 2020: Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market by Coronavirus-COVID19 Impact Analysis With Top Manufacturers Analysis | Top Players: Anika... - August 19th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market Expected to Expand at a CAGR of 14.1% during 2018-2027 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Research Report 2020 Obervational Studies with Top Manufacturers like Athersys,... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Emerging Trends, Strong Application Scope, Size, Status, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 - Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Research Report by Technology, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 16th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Focusing on Growth, Demand & Scope by 2026| Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - August 16th, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2018 2026 - Scientect - August 16th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire - August 16th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Gain Momentum among Stem Cell Research Institutes Due to Cost-effectiveness and Quality They Offer - TMR Research Blog - August 14th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Summary, Trends, Sizing Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - National Post - August 14th, 2020
- Global Totipotent Stem Cell Market Insights And Extensive Research (2020-2025) | Company A - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- Future of Cancer Stem Cell Reviewed in a New Study Owned - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- US FDA Advisory Committee Votes Nine to One in Favor of Remestemcel-L (Ryoncil) for Efficacy in Children With Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft Versus... - August 14th, 2020
- Global and United States Epithelial Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High... - August 14th, 2020
- Biological Safety Testing Market: Segment of Reagents and Kits to Witness Promising Growth Due to Introduction of Innovative Technologies - BioSpace - August 14th, 2020
- Cell Sorting Market Research Report by Technology, by Offering, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19... - August 14th, 2020
- California Propositions on the 2020 Ballot - Fullerton Observer - August 13th, 2020
- Experimental COVID treatment may have saved man's life - 10News - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 13th, 2020
- Jasper Therapeutics Strengthens Management Team with Appointment of Biopharma Industry Executive Kevin N. Heller, M.D., as Executive Vice President,... - August 13th, 2020
- Training neural circuits early in development improves response, study finds - University of Illinois News - August 13th, 2020
- Microcarrier Bioreactor Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Danaher, BD - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Technologies Market Research Report by Product, by Process, by Cell Type, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors -... - August 13th, 2020
- High-throughput 3D screening for differentiation of hPSC-derived cell therapy candidates - Science Advances - August 7th, 2020
- Study: Early training of cell development and network improves response - News-Medical.Net - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Report PDF 2020 Key Players Advanced... - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- New Research Sheds Light on the Temporary Loss of Smell Stemming from COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 7th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Equipment Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 7th, 2020
- With over 280 therapies under evaluation, the stem cell therapy market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 2029 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020