Radiation can be life-saving for a child with a brain tumour. But the therapy can also cause damage to the brain that leavesdeficits in cognitive function, including learning and memory challenges.
Now, thanks to funding from Medicine by Design, a University of Torontoscientist and her team are closer to finding a way to protect the brain from damage for children who must be treated with cranial radiation by using a drug commonly used to treat diabetes.
The study,publishedin the journalCell Reports Medicine, builds on previous work done with metformin. Last summer, Morshead and researchers from The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)showed that metformin administered after cranial radiationencouraged neurogenesis, or the process of making new neurons in the brain.
Morshead says that, given the safety of metformin, theresearch will hopefully proceed quickly to clinical trials.
Anything we can do to stop children from having these long-term impairments would be very positive, she says. For children with brain tumours who need cranial radiation, to be able to do something that would ensure their brain is damaged less in the first place, rather than try to repair it after the fact, would be life-changing for these children and their families.
Notably, the previous metformin study, which looked at administering the metformin after the cranial radiation and once the damage had already occurred, found that the benefits of metformin were seen only in juvenile females. Morshead says the more recent study showed no sex-specific effect, which indicates that pre-treating children with metformin could provide additional benefit.
Cognitive deficits from radiation can result from killing newborn neurons that underly learning and memory. Morshead says the study shows that metformin offers neuroprotection to animals who were given the drug prior to the cranial radiation.
Radiation is an insult on the brain, and our study showed that were able to protect the micro environment because the metformin decreases brain inflammation. After the drug treatment, newborn neurons were not lost and could keep making new connections in the part of the brain that is important for olfactory memory.
Morshead, whose lab is located at the Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research, says that, for this project, the researchers taught animals where to find a food reward based on a particular smell. One type of scent belonged to a dish that had a hidden treatand another type of smell belonged to a dish that had no hidden treat. Only mice that had the metformin treatment before radiation could remember which scent was associated with the treat.
It was really quite a striking effect. The ones that were not administered the metformin prior to radiation couldnt remember the association, Morshead says. The ones that were given the metformin remembered the association weeks after the radiation. So we concluded that the mice that were not treated with the metformin had an impairment in long-term memory, and metformin protected against this impairment.
I am excited by this paper since it describes a potential protective therapy for children who need cranial radiation, says Miller, who is also a professor at the University of British Columbia. And, just as importantly, the metformin story provides a classic example of why we need to support basic research, and why working in collaborative teams is essential.
The original finding that metformin recruits endogenous brain stem cells came from fundamental studies on how stem cells build the brain developmentally, and then it was moved forward to other models by highly interdisciplinary scientists like Dr. Morshead.
Morshead credits funders including Medicine by Design for being strong supporters of this and other promising metformin work.
My lab as well as the labs of Freda Miller and Don Mabbott at SickKids and others are grateful to have the opportunity to do this research, she says. Being able to show these positive results using a drug that we know is safe, approved and accessible is really the best-case scenario. Our hope is that this is one day a low-risk solution for children who would otherwise be living with cognitive deficits after surviving a brain tumour.
In addition to her work with Miller on this large team project, Morsheadalso leads another Medicine by Design projectthats focused on enhancing neuroplasticity in the brain, regenerating cells that are lost or damaged by a stroke.
Read the original here:
- Stem Cell Therapy Market with Impact of COVID-19, Top Companies, Emerging Trends, Demand Analysis, Future Opportunity Outlook 2027 The Courier - The... - April 20th, 2021
- As scientists move closer to making part human, part animal organisms, what are the concerns? - The Conversation AU - April 20th, 2021
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and CRISPR Therapeutics Amend Collaboration for Development, Manufacturing and Commercialization of CTX001 in Sickle Cell... - April 20th, 2021
- bluebird bio Provides Update on Severe Genetic Disease Programs and Business Operations - StreetInsider.com - April 20th, 2021
- Shawn Vestal: A mother's journey from Honduras to Spokane 'I'm going to carry my girl' - The Spokesman-Review - April 18th, 2021
- Agenus Doses First Cancer Patient with iNKT Cell Therapy - GlobeNewswire - April 18th, 2021
- In race against COVID variants, scientists and doctors agree: The time to get vaccinated is now - Greeley Tribune - April 18th, 2021
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic April 16 - Medical News Today - April 18th, 2021
- Daily briefing: A graphical guide to vaccine benefits and risks - Nature.com - April 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Register Phenomenal Growth in the Period of 2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 14th, 2021
- Collaboration Furthers Understanding of Immune Cell Development | Newsroom - UC Merced University News - April 14th, 2021
- Biotech EryPharm Announces a Revolutionary Technological Breakthrough in the Large- Scale Manufacturing of Red Blood Cells - Business Wire - April 14th, 2021
- New Research Models Offer Promise for Understanding the Human Brain and Finding Pathways to Therapies, But Also Raise Profound Ethical Questions - The... - April 14th, 2021
- The Beljanski Foundation Launches New Website Raising Awareness on Scientific Research for Cancer and Other Chronic Diseases - PRNewswire - April 14th, 2021
- Novel Tx Helped Man With Recurrent Brain Tumor - MedPage Today - April 14th, 2021
- [Full text] Armored Car T-Cells: T-Cell Cancer Immunotherapy | BTT - Dove Medical Press - April 14th, 2021
- Insights on the Gene Therapy Cell Culture Media Global Market to 2027 - Growth in Awareness Regarding Gene Therapy is Driving Growth - Yahoo Finance - April 10th, 2021
- Dynamic Stem Cell Therapy Announces The Launch of Its Advanced Stem Cell Treatment For Knee Injury - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 10th, 2021
- Diet and the immune system: What is the link? - Medical News Today - April 10th, 2021
- New stem cell therapy shows promise to prevent diabetes-related amputations - News-Medical.Net - April 8th, 2021
- Yumanity Therapeutics Announces Study Demonstrating In Vivo Efficacy of YTX-7739 in a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Mouse Model - StreetInsider.com - April 8th, 2021
- Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems Markets, 2030 - PRNewswire - April 8th, 2021
- Stem cell transplants offer long-term benefits for pediatric cancer patients receiving immunotherapy - News-Medical.Net - April 1st, 2021
- Bio-Techne has announced launch of Cultrex Ultimatrix BME to support organoid and pluripotent stem cell cultures - SelectScience - April 1st, 2021
- Orca-T Offers an Alternative to HSCT With Improved Patient Experience - OncLive - April 1st, 2021
- BeyondSpring Announces Submission of New Drug Application to US FDA and China NMPA for Plinabulin and G-CSF Combination for the Prevention of... - April 1st, 2021
- Global Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems Market Trends and Forecasts, 2020-2030: Cell Processing Steps, Scale of Operations, End... - April 1st, 2021
- The role of antirheumatics in patients with COVID-19 - The Lancet - April 1st, 2021
- Cultured Meat: What to Know - WebMD - March 30th, 2021
- Hydrogel used to revert cancer cells back to cancer stem cells - Drug Target Review - March 30th, 2021
- The epigenetics of aging: What the body's hands of time tell us - National Institute on Aging - March 30th, 2021
- Remarkable Turnaround Following Leronlimab Treatment in Critically Ill COVID-19 Patient After 84 days on ECMO; Case Study Published in Journal of... - March 30th, 2021
- PolarityTE Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2020 Results - Argus Press - March 30th, 2021
- Phase 3 Trial of Stem Cell Therapy NeuroNata-R Likely to Expand to US - ALS News Today - March 26th, 2021
- [Full text] Review of Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell Therapy | OTT - Dove Medical Press - March 26th, 2021
- Sorrento Announces Updated Positive Results of Phase 1b Study of COVI-MSC for Treatment of ICU COVID-19 Patients - StreetInsider.com - March 26th, 2021
- FLASH Radiotherapy: An (r)evolution in cancer treatment - Open Access Government - March 26th, 2021
- Money on the Move: March 17-23 - BioSpace - March 26th, 2021
- Stanford Researchers Find Culprit In Muscle Aging And How To Knock It Down - Bio-IT World - March 22nd, 2021
- Pivotal Phase III Study Shows Genentech's Tecentriq Helped People With Early Lung Cancer Live Longer Without Their Disease Returning - Business Wire - March 22nd, 2021
- Cell Harvesting System Market Report 2021 : Rising Impressive Business Opportunities Analysis with Top Countries Data Forecast By 2027 The Courier -... - March 22nd, 2021
- 10 Weird but Effective Anti-Aging Ingredients for Your Skin - Real Simple - March 22nd, 2021
- UK to test existing drugs as treatment for MS in world-first trial - The Guardian - March 22nd, 2021
- The Costly, Painful, Lonely Burden of Care - The New York Times - March 17th, 2021
- Taking nutrition from personalization to precision | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - March 17th, 2021
- When will cell-cultured meat reach price parity with conventional meat? - FoodNavigator-USA.com - March 17th, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics Reports Program Updates and Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 - PRNewswire - March 13th, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Fast Track Designation and Initiation of a Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial for VX-880, a Novel Investigational Cell Therapy for the... - March 13th, 2021
- Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market To Witness Relatively Significant Growth During Forecast to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Stem Cells, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - The Miami Project - March 7th, 2021
- 5 Proven Advantages and Disadvantages of Stem Cell ... - March 7th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2021 By Size, Key Players Profile, In-Depth Qualitative Insights, Future Plans, COVID-19 Market Outlook, Industry... - March 5th, 2021
- Dynamic Stem Cell Therapy Offers Regenerative Medicine - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 5th, 2021
- Chemotherapy-Induced Myelosuppression Treatment Market 2021 Revenue, COVID Impact Analysis Report, I - PharmiWeb.com - March 5th, 2021
- AVROBIO Receives Orphan Drug Designation from the European Commission for AVRRD04, an Investigational Gene Therapy for Cystinosis - Business Wire - March 5th, 2021
- 5 Health Benefits of Artichokes, According to a Nutritionist - Health.com - March 5th, 2021
- Be The Match BioTherapies Announces Expansion of Multi-Year Strategic Alliance with Orchard Therapeutics to Support European Commercial Launch of... - March 5th, 2021
- Science on the Farm for Kids | AG | kmaland.com - KMAland - February 27th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Just Positivity - February 27th, 2021
- Bok Choy: Nutrition, Calories, Benefits, Risks, and How to Eat It - Healthline - February 27th, 2021
- How Will Global Stem Cell Banking Market React from 2021 Onwards? The Courier - The Courier - February 27th, 2021
- bluebird bio Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - Business Wire - February 27th, 2021
- Hoth Therapeutics Expands License Agreement to Include Innovative Cancer and Anaphylactic Treatment - BioSpace - February 27th, 2021
- 4 Health Benefits of Cranberry Juice (Plus 4 Cranberry Juice Recipes to Try) - PureWow - February 27th, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics Provides Update on Key Programs and Developments During R&D Day - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Combine Fasting & Holistic Health With This Four-Week Program - mindbodygreen.com - February 23rd, 2021
- Can I Get the COVID-19 Vaccine If I Have Cancer? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - February 23rd, 2021
- Chemotherapy-Induced Myelosuppression Treatment Market is Poised to Exhibit A Moderate 3.2% CAGR by - PharmiWeb.com - February 23rd, 2021
- Gene Panel Market Is Estimated to Reach USD 4.34 Billion by 2025 at CAGR of 12.16% | Market Research Future (MRFR) - GlobeNewswire - February 23rd, 2021
- Interview: Tanya Siddiqi, MD, Discusses the Promise of Reduced Toxicity With Liso-Cel - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 21st, 2021
- Key Trends in Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Industry Impacting the Global Market with Forecast 2021-2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 21st, 2021
- White Fungus: Benefits, Uses, and What to Know - Healthline - February 21st, 2021
- bluebird bio 'baffled' after NICE rejects beta-thalassaemia gene therapy - - pharmaphorum - February 19th, 2021
- 3D bioprinting paves way for functional adult-sized tissues and organs - News-Medical.Net - February 19th, 2021
- Equillium Presents Positive Interim Clinical Data of Itolizumab in First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease at the 2021 Transplantation... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Improvement Status (2021-2027) By Analyzing the Performance of Various Competitors: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck... - February 14th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics talks the benefits of HSC therapy - BioProcess Insider - February 12th, 2021
- Using 3D Printing to Develop Bone-Like Structures that Contain Living Cells - AZoM - February 12th, 2021
- Zebrafish reveal regenerative protein that could inspire new treatments for muscle-wasting diseases and aging - FierceBiotech - February 12th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 12th, 2021