4 min read30 July
Taking account of a patients background, the circumstances of their lives and the particular challenges they might face is crucial to delivering complex treatments like stem cell transplantation.
In May, the APPG on Stem Cell Transplantation published a report following its inquiry looking at how a patients background and circumstances, including a patients geographical location, socioeconomic background and ethnicity, can lead to barriers when accessing treatment and care.
Health Inequalities, as defined by NHS England, are unfair and avoidable differences in health across the population, and between different groups within society.
Rik Basra discovered the difficulties faced by patients of an Asian background when his Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) returned after a two-year remission. The only hope for Rik was a stem cell transplant but he discovered his would be an uphill battle because its less likely for patients of an ethnic minority background to have someone already on the stem cell donor register who is a genetic match to donate their stem cells for this lifesaving treatment. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, ethnic minority patients have only a 37% chance of finding an unrelated stem cell donor, compared to 72% for white patients.
This is just one of the experiences we heard about as part of this important Inquiry. A patient shouldnt experience disparity when it comes to the best treatment and care or chance of survival and future quality of life because of their background. The inquiry has explored how ethnicity, as well as other factors such as age, where you live and your socio-economic status can impact different parts of a patients treatment and care journey when receiving a stem cell transplant. The focus has been on understanding where the barriers lie, and what can be done to remove these barriers.
We were fortunate that we were able to find a donor for Max, others were not so lucky, particularly those from mixed race and ethnic minority backgrounds
My interest in this area stems from personal experience when some 13 years ago my elder son Max was diagnosed with Leukaemia. This was devastating for my son and my family. The whole world turns upside down as you embark on a programme of treatment and the subsequent decision to go down the transplant path.
We were fortunate that we were able to find a donor for Max. We were acutely aware that others were not so lucky, particularly those from mixed race and ethnic minority backgrounds. We were again fortunate that we had a supportive family network and a job that paid well. For many the financial impact of supporting a family member through this journey is huge and rarely talked about. I have long argued that we need to look at a treatment and support plan that looks at all these factors rather than just the physical treatment itself.
We received rich and insightful responses in our inquiry from over 40 patients, family members, clinicians, charities, and researchers through written and oral evidence. What became clear was that taking account of a patients background, the circumstances of their lives and the particular challenges they might face is crucial to delivering complex treatments like stem cell transplantation.
Our report explores recommendations to address these challenges, calling on government and the NHS, amongst others, to make changes such as investing in research and making sure care is culturally appropriate, meaning healthcare professionals have the ability to understand, communicate with and effectively interact with people across cultures. We were joined by Lord Bethell, a Health Minister with responsibility for stem cell transplantation, at the report launch. He commented on timeliness of this report and welcomed the recommendations made, citing a commitment for the Department to work with APPG on the recommendations.
We hope the findings from this report will act as a springboard to encourage more research and a renewed focus on understanding and overcoming barriers to accessing treatment and care for a stem cell transplant.
Our findings and our recommendations will be relevant far beyond stem cell transplantation. Its vital we use the lessons from the pandemic to make a real step-change in health inequalities. We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to ensure patients get the treatment, care and support they need whatever their background. Find out more about the inquiry here.
Mark Tamiis the Labour MP for Alyn and Deeside and chair of theAPPG on Stem Cell Transplantation.
Get the inside track on what MPs and Peers are talking about. Sign up to The House's morning email for the latest insight and reaction from Parliamentarians, policy-makers and organisations.
The rest is here:
- Cellino is using AI and machine learning to scale production of stem cell therapies - TechCrunch - September 22nd, 2021
- Capping Medicare Part B payments will limit outpatient access to CAR-T - STAT - September 22nd, 2021
- Treating Patients with High-Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome - Targeted Oncology - September 22nd, 2021
- FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Donor Eligibility and Manufacturing of Cellular Therapies for Animals | FDA - FDA.gov - September 22nd, 2021
- CD19 As a Targeted Agent in CAR T Cell Therapy for R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - September 22nd, 2021
- Stem Rx Bioscience Solutions successfully use cell-based therapy for age-related macular degeneration and restoration of vision - Financial Express - September 22nd, 2021
- Repeated injury to the epithelial tissue of airways causes "biological aging" of stem cells - News-Medical.net - September 22nd, 2021
- Revival of the cell and gene therapy field opens new avenues for repairing the Parkinsonian brain - News-Medical.Net - September 22nd, 2021
- Scientists Awarded The Albany Prize, America's Most Distinguished Prize in Medicine, for Research Leading to Covid-19 Vaccines - Albany Medical Center - September 22nd, 2021
- Why I Believe It Is Wrong To Take The COVID Vaccine - And Response - The Chattanoogan - September 22nd, 2021
- How can fertility counseling be implemented for every newly diagnosed pediatric patient facing gonadotoxic ... - Physician's Weekly - September 20th, 2021
- Mantle Cell Lymphoma Treatment in the Era of COVID-19 - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2021
- Calloway County Health Department announces 23 new cases of COVID-19 - Murray Ledger and Times - September 20th, 2021
- Effects of Leukemia on Your Body - Healthline - September 20th, 2021
- DCGI approves stem cell-based therapy trial for COVID-19 pneumonia treatment - BSI bureau - September 17th, 2021
- Dr. Anderson on the Challenges Faced With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma - OncLive - September 17th, 2021
- Treatment Methods: Transplant Eligibility in R/R DLBCL and CAR T Cell Therapy - Targeted Oncology - September 17th, 2021
- Insights into the cellular and molecular changes in male infertility - EurekAlert - September 17th, 2021
- Loss of Vision Caused by AMD: Cell-Based Therapy Can Help Restore Your Eyesight - TheHealthSite - September 17th, 2021
- The Promise of Regenerative Medicine to Treat Chronic Pain - Newswise - September 17th, 2021
- Researchers build the ovarian environment using mouse stem cells - News-Medical.net - September 17th, 2021
- Molecular and Cellular Changes in the Testicular Tissue of Infertile Men Revealed - Technology Networks - September 17th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces IND Clearance for MGTA-117 Targeted Conditioning Clinical Trial - Yahoo Finance - September 17th, 2021
- Indolent lymphoma: Symptoms, outlook, treatment, and more - Medical News Today - September 17th, 2021
- Dr. Shah on Unmet Needs With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - September 17th, 2021
- Researchers focus on improving biomaterials used for bone and tissue repair - News-Medical.net - September 17th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on Patient Selection for Intensive Vs Non-Intensive Treatment in MCL - OncLive - September 17th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Differentiated Profile of Its HSC Gene Therapy Approach and ... - The Bakersfield Californian - September 14th, 2021
- Meet the Finnish team using stem cells to cure blindness - Sifted - September 14th, 2021
- Why you should feel optimistic about the future of healthcare - Say - Say Communications - September 14th, 2021
- Treating Hearing Loss: The Hunt for Drugs That Promote Hair Cell Regeneration - Technology Networks - September 14th, 2021
- Maintenance with daratumumab or observation following treatment with bortezomib, thalidomide, and dexamethasone with or without daratumumab and... - September 14th, 2021
- Celebrating the End of Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - September 14th, 2021
- BlueCross Will Cover Costs for COVID-19 Booster - Business Wire - September 14th, 2021
- UAB opening vaccination sites in Hoover and Ensley - UAB News - September 12th, 2021
- CardiAMP Cell Therapy Heart Failure Trial to be Featured in Two Presentations at Heart Failure Society of America Annual Meeting 2021 - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2021
- A Knee or Hip Replacement Without Surgery? Its on the Horizon - The Wall Street Journal - September 10th, 2021
- Jerry Nelson: Stem cell treatment can be alternative to joint replacement - Watertown Public Opinion - September 10th, 2021
- Graft Vs Host Prophylaxis With Posttransplant Cyclophosphamide Not Associated With Increased Infection Risk - Hematology Advisor - September 10th, 2021
- Carolina Researchers Lead CZI Collaborative on Childhood Diseases | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - September 10th, 2021
- A New Opportunity To Receive Sight - mvprogress - September 8th, 2021
- Japan: A case study of national readiness for regenerative medicine - Open Access Government - September 8th, 2021
- Merger Proposals Blocked By Cell Therapies Developer - Labmate Online - September 8th, 2021
- Using Predictive, Data Analytics to Expand Knowledge of Alzheimer's - HealthITAnalytics.com - September 8th, 2021
- Research on preterm brain injury treatment recognised - Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences - Monash University - September 8th, 2021
- Roche bets $300M on Adaptimmune tech for off-the-shelf cell therapies for cancer - MedCity News - September 8th, 2021
- Desperate family have just three weeks to find stem cell donor for their girl - Express - September 8th, 2021
- Ivy Tech nursing student among 234 who want religious exemption to vaccine mandate - The Indianapolis Star - September 8th, 2021
- Convection Improves Survival and Insulin Secretion of Beta Cell Implants - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 8th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics reports half year 2021 results - GlobeNewswire - September 8th, 2021
- How a Family's Persistence Led to Their Son's Successful Sickle Cell TreatmentWith the Help of My Special Aflac Duck EBONY - EBONY - September 8th, 2021
- Leukemia Awareness Month: Changing the Future of AML through Precision Medicine - Targeted Oncology - September 8th, 2021
- Third Line Therapies in R/R FL - Cancer Network - September 8th, 2021
- BMS opts-in on Evotec's neurodegenerative medicine - PharmaTimes - September 7th, 2021
- New Cancer Treatments May Be on The Horizon Thanks to Success in mRNA Vaccine Trial - Good News Network - September 7th, 2021
- Billionaires Have Reportedly Invested In A BioTech Company Aiming To Reverse Aging - IFLScience - September 7th, 2021
- Human Mini-Lungs Grown in Lab Dishes are Closest Yet to Real Thing - UC San Diego Health - September 1st, 2021
- Targeting and inhibiting a protein could provide more effective treatment for brain cancer - News-Medical.Net - September 1st, 2021
- Could gene therapies be used to cure more people with HIV? - aidsmap - September 1st, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Receives Patent in Japan Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program - Yahoo Finance - September 1st, 2021
- Future Therapeutic Options for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2021
- COVID-19 Causes Severe Disease, Disrupted Treatment in Children with Cancer - Pharmacy Times - September 1st, 2021
- Blood cancer and its impact on female fertility - Lexology - September 1st, 2021
- New gene therapies may soon treat dozens of rare diseases, but million-dollar price tags will put them out of reach for many - The Conversation US - September 1st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 30th, 2021
- Bengaluru boy with rare disease meets his German stem cell donor - The Hans India - August 30th, 2021
- Novartis falls behind rivals in race to bring CAR-T to early lymphoma - BioPharma Dive - August 30th, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 28th, 2021
- University of Miami Researchers Enter Phase 3 of Stem Cell Clinical Trial in Treating COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Newswise - August 28th, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 28th, 2021
- College of Medicine University of Central Florida Research Wounds Heal Faster with New Treatment: Military Medicine Discovery - PRNewswire - August 28th, 2021
- Lab-grown minibrains with eyes may advance personalized drug testing, researchers say - Mahoning Matters - August 28th, 2021
- Off-the-Shelf NK Cell Products FT596 and FT516 Show Early Promise in B-cell Lymphoma - OncLive - August 28th, 2021
- BioMarin stands tall with first approved drug for rare disease that causes dwarfism - MedCity News - August 28th, 2021
- What to know about the third COVID-19 shot in Gainesville, Alachua County - Gainesville Sun - August 28th, 2021
- Department of Public Health Offering Third Dose COVID-19 Vaccines to Eligible Individuals | Monroe County, NY - monroecounty.gov - August 28th, 2021
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market | Know the Diverse Growth Parameters Influencing the Market - BioSpace - August 23rd, 2021
- County providing COVID-19 third dose booster to immunocompromised - City of Fort Worth - August 23rd, 2021
- Outcomes For MCL Patients and Impact of Relapse Timing After Transplant on OS - Targeted Oncology - August 23rd, 2021
- SGMC Offering COVID-19 Third Dose to Immunocompromised People - sgmc.org - August 23rd, 2021