August 17, 2020
Denver is known for its relatively mild climate and its four distinct seasons. Its also known for its temperature fluctuations over the course of a day or even hours. But what does that mean for the citys residents and for that matter, the rest of the inhabitants of the continental United States when it comes to temperature extremes?
Thats what Ashley Broadbentwanted to know. Specifically, he wanted to know how populations throughout the United States will experience heat and cold during the 21st century.
So, Broadbent, an assistant research professor in Arizona State Universitys School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning, used state-of-the-art modeling tools to analyze how three key variables would affect human exposure to extreme temperatures from the beginning of this century to its end.
He and his collaborator Matei Georgescu, an associate professor in the School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning, concentrated on the following three key factors: climate change brought about by greenhouse gas emissions, urban development-induced impacts arising from the growth of cities, and population change in individual cities.
The paper, "The motley drivers of heat and cold exposure in 21st century U.S. cities," was published onlineAug. 17 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It is the first study of its kind to consider population-weighted heat and cold exposure that directly and simultaneously account for greenhouse gas and urban development-induced warming.
Graphic by Alex Davis/ASU Media Relations and Strategic Communications
To describe how these three variables would affect temperatures, and in turn populations, Broadbent, Georgescu and co-author Eric Scott Krayenhoff, assistant professor at the University of Guelph, Ontario, in Canada, used a metric they dubbed person-hours, to describe humans exposure to extreme heat and cold.
Its an intuitive metric, Broadbent said. For example, when one person is exposed to one hour of an extreme temperature, that exposure equals one person-hour of exposure. Likewise, if 10 people are exposed to 10 hours of an extreme temperature, that exposure equals 100 person-hours.
I think this definition is more representative of what people experience, which is what this study is about versus a study that simply communicates temperature changes without any human element attached to it, Broadbent said.
Overall, the researchers found that the average annual heat exposure at the start of this century in the United States was about 5.2 billion person-hours. Assuming a worst-case scenario of peak global warming, population growth and urban development, the annual heat exposure would rise to 150 billion person-hours by the end of the century, a nearly 30-fold increase.
The combined effect of these three drivers will substantially increase the average heat exposure across the United States, but heat exposure is not projected to increase uniformly in all cities across the U.S., Broadbent said. There will be hot spots where heat exposure grows sharply.
To that end, the researchers defined heat thresholds based on local city definitions, something previous studies have not done. Instead, prior studies have used fixed-temperature thresholds that may be inappropriate for some cities. Afterall, a 90-degree day in Phoenix feels much different than a 90-degree day in New York City, given relative humidity differences.
Its well-known that cities have locally defined thresholds where heat and cold cause mortality and morbidity, Broadbent explained. In other words, people die at different temperatures in different cities because what is extreme in one city may be normal in another.
Importantly, areas of the United States where human exposure would increase the most is where climate change and population increase in tandem. Meanwhile, urban development has a smaller, yet not negligible effect.
According to the results of the study, the largest absolute changes in population heat exposure are projected to occur in major U.S. metropolitan regions, such as New York, Los Angeles and Atlanta.
The study also finds the largest relativechanges in person-hours related to heat exposure are projected to occur in rapidly growing cities located in the Sun Belt, including Austin, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Atlanta.
The increase in exposure is quite large if you look at it relative to the start of the century, Broadbent said. Some cities across the Sun Belt, according to our projections, will have 90 times the number of person-hours of heat exposure. For example, cities in Texas that see substantial population growth and strong greenhouse gas-induced climate warming could be markedly affected.
One way to prepare for increased heat exposure is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions on a global scale, which would reduce the number of hours people are exposed to extreme temperatures. Other options include localized infrastructure adaptation that provides buffering effects against rising temperatures such as planting trees, providing shade and cooling areas and constructing buildings using materials that absorb less heat.
Although the average temperature in the United States will be warmer in the future, the study finds that cold exposure will increase slightly compared with the start of the century, primarily because of population growth. While there is a generaldecreasein the number of projected extreme cold events by the end of this century, the number of individuals exposed to extreme cold is projected toincrease,as population growth means that the total number of person-hours of cold exposure will go up, Broadbent said.
Cold is currently more of a national health problem than heat, but our results suggest that by the end of the century heat exposure may become a larger health problem than cold exposure, Broadbent said. However, cold exposure will not disappear completely as the climate warms. In fact, according to one of the teams simulations, Denver is projected to have more extreme cold at the end of the century compared with the beginning, according to the study.
Thats the interesting thing about climate change. We know the average temperature is going to increase, said Broadbent. But we know less about how the extremes are going to change, and often the extremes are the most important part of our daily lives.
There are several takeaway messages from this work, but one of the central ones concerns the future resiliency of our cities, Georgescu said.
The successful steps taken will require holistic thinking that embraces contributions from urban planners, engineers, social scientists and climate scientists with a long-range vision of how we want our cities to be.
"We therefore call on cities to start asking some very foundational questions regarding the projected exposure of their constituents to future environmental change," Georgescu said. "Is the work of the urban climate modeling community being integrated into their environmental adaptation plans? If so, how, and if not, why not?
This work was funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Patenting Stem Cell Inventions in India- What to Expect? - Lexology - September 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market will Hit Big Revenues in Future | COVID19 Unlock opportunities - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Novel discovery could lead to stem cell-based treatment for heart failure - News-Medical.Net - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 11th, 2020
- Development Trends and Financial Analysis of Stem Cell Assay Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- School of Science grows by 10 - MIT News - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Fuel Revenues Through 2020 Lake Shore Gazette - Lake Shore Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 8th, 2020
- Live-cell imaging and analysis reveal cell phenotypic transition dynamics inherently missing in snapshot data - Science Advances - September 8th, 2020
- An ancient virus might have made our hearts bigger - Scope - Scope - September 8th, 2020
- How Groups of Cells Cooperate to Build Organs and Organisms - The Scientist - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists create embryonic stem cells without destroying ... - August 29th, 2020
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells | USCCB - August 29th, 2020
- Foetal cells are used to make the Oxford coronavirus vaccine. But they came from a foetus in 1973 - ABC News - August 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Galus Australis - August 29th, 2020
- Translational Regenerative Medicines Market: Which Region Will Register Higher CAGR? 2017-2026 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market 2020 (Covid-19 Impact) In-depth Industry Analysis By Types, Applications and Forecast 2026: Celgene, Cynata,... - August 27th, 2020
- Pro-life groups applaud Trump administration advisory board for rejecting fetal tissue research proposals - Christianity Daily - August 27th, 2020
- Global regenerative medicine market size was USD 23841.5 Million in 2018 and is Projected to Reach USD 151949.5 Million by 2026, Exhibiting a CAGR of... - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market- By Type, Component, Industry, Region Market Size, Demand Forecasts, Company Profiles, Industry Trends and... - August 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ron Evans steals a trick from I/O, and points the way to a transformational diabetes therapy - Endpoints News - August 20th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Stockhouse - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 16th, 2020
- What Are the Five Warning Signs of Testicular Cancer? - MedicineNet - August 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- New Study Presents Cell-based Therapy for MN Diseases or Spinal Cord Disorders - Mirage News - August 11th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 11th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR The Strand - Strand - August 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime -... - July 30th, 2020
- Waveguide Combiners & Dividers Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 30th, 2020
- Expanded encyclopaedias of DNA elements in the human and mouse genomes - Nature.com - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- New model may explain why certain cancer cells are resistant to therapy - News-Medical.Net - July 30th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020 Report Forecast By Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview - Express Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 28th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 24th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 24th, 2020
- What's next for Tony Fauci, if the White House continues to sour on him? - STAT - July 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020-2026 | Comprehensive Study of COVID-19 Impact | Worldwide Key Players: Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 14th, 2020
- Turning off junk DNA may free stem cells to become neurons - National Institutes of Health - July 14th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - Space.com - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Growth, Size, Opportunities and Analysis Forecast 2020 - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- What Miniature Lab-Grown Brains Reveal About the Effects of Covid-19 - OneZero - July 14th, 2020
- Transdermal Testosterone Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Stem Cells Market Study 2018-2028 Segmented On The Basis of Product Type, Geographical Analysis, Future Forecast,... - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by BioLife Solutions, Akron Biotechnology, GE... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and Forecast 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Human CNS barrier-forming organoids with cerebrospinal fluid production - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 10th, 2020
- Network Traffic Analyzer Market Size 2020 Global Industry Insights, Share, Growth, Trend, Demand, Top Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 10th, 2020