August 17, 2020
Denver is known for its relatively mild climate and its four distinct seasons. Its also known for its temperature fluctuations over the course of a day or even hours. But what does that mean for the citys residents and for that matter, the rest of the inhabitants of the continental United States when it comes to temperature extremes?
Thats what Ashley Broadbentwanted to know. Specifically, he wanted to know how populations throughout the United States will experience heat and cold during the 21st century.
So, Broadbent, an assistant research professor in Arizona State Universitys School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning, used state-of-the-art modeling tools to analyze how three key variables would affect human exposure to extreme temperatures from the beginning of this century to its end.
He and his collaborator Matei Georgescu, an associate professor in the School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning, concentrated on the following three key factors: climate change brought about by greenhouse gas emissions, urban development-induced impacts arising from the growth of cities, and population change in individual cities.
The paper, "The motley drivers of heat and cold exposure in 21st century U.S. cities," was published onlineAug. 17 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It is the first study of its kind to consider population-weighted heat and cold exposure that directly and simultaneously account for greenhouse gas and urban development-induced warming.
Graphic by Alex Davis/ASU Media Relations and Strategic Communications
To describe how these three variables would affect temperatures, and in turn populations, Broadbent, Georgescu and co-author Eric Scott Krayenhoff, assistant professor at the University of Guelph, Ontario, in Canada, used a metric they dubbed person-hours, to describe humans exposure to extreme heat and cold.
Its an intuitive metric, Broadbent said. For example, when one person is exposed to one hour of an extreme temperature, that exposure equals one person-hour of exposure. Likewise, if 10 people are exposed to 10 hours of an extreme temperature, that exposure equals 100 person-hours.
I think this definition is more representative of what people experience, which is what this study is about versus a study that simply communicates temperature changes without any human element attached to it, Broadbent said.
Overall, the researchers found that the average annual heat exposure at the start of this century in the United States was about 5.2 billion person-hours. Assuming a worst-case scenario of peak global warming, population growth and urban development, the annual heat exposure would rise to 150 billion person-hours by the end of the century, a nearly 30-fold increase.
The combined effect of these three drivers will substantially increase the average heat exposure across the United States, but heat exposure is not projected to increase uniformly in all cities across the U.S., Broadbent said. There will be hot spots where heat exposure grows sharply.
To that end, the researchers defined heat thresholds based on local city definitions, something previous studies have not done. Instead, prior studies have used fixed-temperature thresholds that may be inappropriate for some cities. Afterall, a 90-degree day in Phoenix feels much different than a 90-degree day in New York City, given relative humidity differences.
Its well-known that cities have locally defined thresholds where heat and cold cause mortality and morbidity, Broadbent explained. In other words, people die at different temperatures in different cities because what is extreme in one city may be normal in another.
Importantly, areas of the United States where human exposure would increase the most is where climate change and population increase in tandem. Meanwhile, urban development has a smaller, yet not negligible effect.
According to the results of the study, the largest absolute changes in population heat exposure are projected to occur in major U.S. metropolitan regions, such as New York, Los Angeles and Atlanta.
The study also finds the largest relativechanges in person-hours related to heat exposure are projected to occur in rapidly growing cities located in the Sun Belt, including Austin, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Atlanta.
The increase in exposure is quite large if you look at it relative to the start of the century, Broadbent said. Some cities across the Sun Belt, according to our projections, will have 90 times the number of person-hours of heat exposure. For example, cities in Texas that see substantial population growth and strong greenhouse gas-induced climate warming could be markedly affected.
One way to prepare for increased heat exposure is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions on a global scale, which would reduce the number of hours people are exposed to extreme temperatures. Other options include localized infrastructure adaptation that provides buffering effects against rising temperatures such as planting trees, providing shade and cooling areas and constructing buildings using materials that absorb less heat.
Although the average temperature in the United States will be warmer in the future, the study finds that cold exposure will increase slightly compared with the start of the century, primarily because of population growth. While there is a generaldecreasein the number of projected extreme cold events by the end of this century, the number of individuals exposed to extreme cold is projected toincrease,as population growth means that the total number of person-hours of cold exposure will go up, Broadbent said.
Cold is currently more of a national health problem than heat, but our results suggest that by the end of the century heat exposure may become a larger health problem than cold exposure, Broadbent said. However, cold exposure will not disappear completely as the climate warms. In fact, according to one of the teams simulations, Denver is projected to have more extreme cold at the end of the century compared with the beginning, according to the study.
Thats the interesting thing about climate change. We know the average temperature is going to increase, said Broadbent. But we know less about how the extremes are going to change, and often the extremes are the most important part of our daily lives.
There are several takeaway messages from this work, but one of the central ones concerns the future resiliency of our cities, Georgescu said.
The successful steps taken will require holistic thinking that embraces contributions from urban planners, engineers, social scientists and climate scientists with a long-range vision of how we want our cities to be.
"We therefore call on cities to start asking some very foundational questions regarding the projected exposure of their constituents to future environmental change," Georgescu said. "Is the work of the urban climate modeling community being integrated into their environmental adaptation plans? If so, how, and if not, why not?
This work was funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Global Stem Cell Technologies and Applications Market 2020-2030 - GlobeNewswire - April 16th, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Industry Market 2021 In-depth Industry Analysis, Growth By 2027:Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - April 6th, 2021
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher,... - April 6th, 2021
- Scientists grow and observe mouse embryos outside the womb - ISRAEL21c - April 6th, 2021
- New Michigan law requires those receiving Johnson & Johnson vaccine be told it was developed using stem cells | TheHill - The Hill - April 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovations and Trends to Boost Growth during 2021-2028 | Astellas Pharma Inc, Cellular Engineering Technologies,... - April 6th, 2021
- Xenobots 2.0 are Here and Still Developed With Frog Stem Cells - Unite.AI - April 6th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2029 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 29th, 2021
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells | The Embryo Project Encyclopedia - March 24th, 2021
- Sydney archbishop urges 'deep breath' after news of artificial embryos - Long Island Catholic - March 24th, 2021
- Researchers grow mouse embryos outside the uterus to reveal hidden growth stages - SlashGear - March 20th, 2021
- Industry Overview of Stem Cell Treatments: Market Report Based on Development, Scope, Share, Trends, Forecast to 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 15th, 2021
- A Genetic Curse, a Scared Mom, and the Quest to 'Fix' Embryos - WIRED - March 13th, 2021
- Deciphering epiblast lumenogenesis reveals proamniotic cavity control of embryo growth and patterning - Science Advances - March 11th, 2021
- Promising stem-cell based drug for treatment of ALS receives patent - The Jerusalem Post - March 11th, 2021
- Human embryo research beyond the primitive streak - Science Magazine - March 11th, 2021
- Detroit mayor turned down J&J vaccine in favor of others - WCNC.com - March 11th, 2021
- 14 Advantages and Disadvantages of Embryonic Stem Cell ... - March 7th, 2021
- Embryonic stem cell | biology | Britannica - March 7th, 2021
- Is the coronavirus vaccine made from fetal cell lines? - March 7th, 2021
- Effect of Nanog overexpression on the metastatic potential of a mouse melanoma cell line B16-BL6 - DocWire News - March 7th, 2021
- Gene behind third of cancers turned off by scientists - Yahoo Sports - March 3rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | CellTherapies P/L,... - March 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Reviews, Segments, Revenue, and Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 1st, 2021
- Innovative Stem Cells Market Research Report Segmented by Applications, Geography, Trends and Projection 2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - March 1st, 2021
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Industry Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027:Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - February 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 | Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast up to 2027 - NY Market Reports - February 25th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Growth ratio, Top Players and Fut - PharmiWeb.com - February 25th, 2021
- The Very First Signs of an Immune Response Have Been Filmed in a Developing Embryo - ScienceAlert - February 14th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - Yahoo Eurosport UK - February 10th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 10th, 2021
- Study identifies major flaws in iBMEC-based models of the blood-brain barrier - News-Medical.Net - February 10th, 2021
- Harnessing the Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - OncLive - February 5th, 2021
- When scientific data is too good to be true - Haaretz - February 5th, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market increasing demand with Industry Professionalist |know the Brand Players forecast 2027 Jumbo News - Jumbo... - February 5th, 2021
- Should We Double The Age When Science Can Experiment On Babies? - 550 KTSA - February 5th, 2021
- Push on to Allow Expanded Human-Embryo Research - National Review - February 3rd, 2021
- Missouri State Representative Indicted Over Alleged Stem Cell Therapy Scam - IFLScience - February 3rd, 2021
- ToolGen ties up with 3D bioprinting company to apply induced pluripotent stem cells to gene correction - Aju Business Daily - February 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - February 3rd, 2021
- Louisiana Right to Life: COVID-19 vaccines and abortion - The Baptist Message - January 16th, 2021
- Organoids show how mutations in top autism gene may lead to brain overgrowth in people - Spectrum - January 16th, 2021
- Reversing The Aging Clock With Epigenetic Reprogramming - Bio-IT World - January 16th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Factor Bioscience spins out a new cell therapy player with eyes on the clinic within 2 years - Endpoints News - January 8th, 2021
- 'He was very honored in his work' - Mercer Island Reporter - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2017-2025 - NeighborWebSJ - December 25th, 2020
- Israeli biotech firm's ALS treatment shows safety of use in trials - The Jerusalem Post - December 18th, 2020
- Ca Bishops To Work w/ Govt on Vaccination Campaigns - Catholic Herald Online - December 15th, 2020
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market 2019 Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Trends and - PharmiWeb.com - December 10th, 2020
- Accelerating Sales in North America to Drive the Stem Cell Therapy market between 2020 and 2030 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market in Global : Current and the Future Trends: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell Technologies Inc - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- GFI1: New Role Uncovered for a Protein Involved in Hearing : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo -... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- This Date in UCSF History: Election Offers Mixed Bag of Results - Synapse - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 28th, 2020
- TRF2-mediated telomere protection is dispensable in pluripotent stem cells - Nature.com - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020: Rising with Immense Development Trends across the Globe by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - November 26th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 26th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Dr. David Steenblock - Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - BlogTalkRadio - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- University of Alberta research team poised to cure diabetesagain - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - November 23rd, 2020
- New Role For Serotonin Identified In The Evolution Of The Developing Brain - Anti Aging News - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - November 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market is Projected to Reach $6,956 million by 2023 | Leading key players are Cord Blood Registry, ViaCord, Cryo-Cell, China Cord... - November 14th, 2020
- California approves billions for stem-cell research - Modern Healthcare - November 14th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Strategic Assessment BioLife Solutions, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - KYT24 - November 14th, 2020
- The heart of a mouse embryo was first created from stem cells - FREE NEWS - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020