ALAMEDA, Calif. & LONDON, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. (AgeX: NYSE American: AGE), a biotechnology company developing therapeutics for human aging and regeneration, and Sernova Corp. (TSX-V:SVA)(OTCQB:SEOVF)(FSE:PSH), a clinical-stage regenerative medicine therapeutics company, announced today a research collaboration where Sernova will utilize AgeXs UniverCyteTM gene technology to generate immune-protected universal therapeutic cells for use in combination with Sernovas Cell PouchTM for the treatment of type I diabetes and hemophilia A. The goal is to eliminate the need for immunosuppressive medications following Cell Pouch cell transplantation.
The research collaboration will evaluate whether Sernovas pluripotent stem cell-derived pancreatic islet beta cells engineered with AgeXs UniverCyte technology can evade human immune detection. The complementary combination of technologies could enable the transplantation of therapeutic cells in patients with type I diabetes in an off-the-shelf manner using Sernovas Cell Pouch, without human leukocyte antigen (HLA) tissue matching or concurrent administration of immunosuppressive medications. With a similar intent, pluripotent stem cell-derived or adult donor-derived human Factor VIII-releasing cells modified with AgeXs UniverCyte will be evaluated in Sernovas hemophilia A program.
Under the terms of the agreement, Sernova has been granted a time-limited, non-exclusive research license by AgeX. A commercial license for Sernova to utilize UniverCyte to engineer cellular products for therapeutic and commercial purposes may be negotiated between the companies pending successful study outcomes.
The UniverCyte technology aims to mask therapeutic cells derived from pluripotent stem cells or adult donors from human immune detection to allow for off-the-shelf cellular products without the need for immunosuppressant medications which may have potent side effects, or HLA-matching between donor and patient. UniverCyte uses a novel, modified form of HLA-G, a potent immunomodulatory molecule, which in nature protects an unborn child from their mothers immune system. In almost all human cells, native HLA-G expression is silenced after birth. AgeXs modified HLA-G shows evidence of being resistant to this silencing, thereby potentially allowing for long-term, stable and high expression of the immunomodulatory effect.
Sernova plans to utilize the universal therapeutic cells generated through this research collaboration with its Cell Pouch System, a proprietary, scalable, implantable macro-encapsulation device, which, upon implantation, incorporates with tissue and forms highly vascularized chambers. These chambers become a natural environment in the body to house and favor long-term survival and function of therapeutic cells. The Cell Pouch System has shown initial safety and efficacy indicators in an ongoing Phase I/II clinical study at the University of Chicago and in a preclinical model of hemophilia A when assessed with human cells corrected to produce Factor VIII.
We are thrilled with our collaboration with Sernova, which is at the forefront of cellular therapies for diabetes and hemophilia and is already in the clinic for the former. The combination of AgeXs UniverCyte to cloak cells from a patients immune system and Sernovas Cell Pouch technologies to permit cells to function long-term upon transplantation would be a landmark for regenerative medicine. This deal marks another important step in AgeXs collaboration and licensing strategy to work with the very best people, companies and institutions in the world of regenerative medicine, said Dr. Nafees Malik, Chief Operating Officer of AgeX.
We look forward to working with AgeX and its outstanding team as we continue to identify and evaluate technologies complementary to Sernovas therapeutic platform and expand our immune protection offerings. AgeXs UniverCyte technology is a significant advancement in the field of cell therapy and a perfect fit with Sernovas Cell Pouch technologies and therapeutic pipeline with its potential benefit over current immunosuppressive strategies for regenerative medicine therapeutics, said Dr. Philip Toleikis, President and CEO of Sernova Corp.
About AgeX Therapeutics
AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. (NYSE American: AGE) is focused on developing and commercializing innovative therapeutics for human aging. Its PureStem and UniverCyte manufacturing and immunotolerance technologies are designed to work together to generate highly defined, universal, allogeneic, off-the-shelf pluripotent stem cell-derived young cells of any type for application in a variety of diseases with a high unmet medical need. AgeX has two preclinical cell therapy programs: AGEX-VASC1 (vascular progenitor cells) for tissue ischemia and AGEX-BAT1 (brown fat cells) for Type II diabetes. AgeXs revolutionary longevity platform induced Tissue Regeneration (iTR) aims to unlock cellular immortality and regenerative capacity to reverse age-related changes within tissues. AGEX-iTR1547 is an iTR-based formulation in preclinical development. HyStem is AgeXs delivery technology to stably engraft PureStem cell therapies in the body. AgeXs core product pipeline is intended to extend human healthspan. AgeX is seeking opportunities to establish licensing and collaboration arrangements around its broad IP estate and proprietary technology platforms and therapy product candidates.
For more information, please visit http://www.agexinc.com or connect with the company on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube.
About Sernova Corp.
Sernova Corp is developing regenerative medicine therapeutic technologies using the Cell Pouch System, a medical device and immune protected therapeutic cells (i.e., human donor cells, corrected human cells and stem-cell-derived cells) to improve the treatment and quality of life of people with chronic metabolic diseases such as insulin-dependent diabetes, blood disorders including hemophilia, and other diseases treated through replacement of proteins or hormones missing or in short supply within the body. For more information, please visit http://www.sernova.com.
Forward-Looking Statements for AgeX
Certain statements contained in this release are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements that are not historical fact including, but not limited to statements that contain words such as will, believes, plans, anticipates, expects, estimates should also be considered forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking statements and as such should be evaluated together with the many uncertainties that affect the business of AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. and its subsidiaries, particularly those mentioned in the cautionary statements found in more detail in the Risk Factors section of AgeXs most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commissions (copies of which may be obtained at http://www.sec.gov). Subsequent events and developments may cause these forward-looking statements to change. In addition, there can be no assurance that Sernovas planned use of AgeXs UniverCyteTM gene technology will successfully generate immune-protected universal therapeutic cells for use in combination with Sernovas Cell PouchTM for the treatment of type I diabetes and hemophilia A or any other disease, and there can be no assurance that AgeX and Sernova will enter into a commercial license for the use of UniverCyteTM in a therapeutic or other product. AgeX specifically disclaims any obligation or intention to update or revise these forward-looking statements as a result of changed events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release, except as required by applicable law.
Forward-Looking Statements for Sernova
This release may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are statements that are not historical facts and are generally, but not always, identified by the words expects, plans, anticipates, believes, intends, estimates, projects, potential and similar expressions, or that events or conditions will, would, may, could or should occur. Although Sernova believes the expectations expressed in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, such statements including those related to the potential of Univercyte combined with Sernovas technologies are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results may differ materially from those in forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs, estimates, and opinions of Sernovas management on the date such statements were made, which include our beliefs about the effect on company operations of the COVID-19 virus and conduct and outcome of discussions, clinical programs, and our clinical trials. Sernova expressly disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Originally posted here:
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Seen to Help COPD Patients with Severe Inflammation - COPD News Today - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Ide-cel Appears Active in Almost Three-Fourths of Heavily Pretreated Patients with Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- Opdivo + Yervoy receive FDA approval combined with limited chemotherapy as first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020
- US bishop: We must halt development of any coronavirus vaccine derived from aborted babies - Lifesite - April 29th, 2020
- First-in-Human Universal CAR-T Therapy Found Active in Relapsed/Refractory T-ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 29th, 2020
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Triple Negative Breast Cancer That Has Spread, Not Responded to Other Treatments - FDA.gov - April 26th, 2020
- 'I Will Not Kill Children to Live' - Church Militant - April 26th, 2020
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Triple Negative Breast Cancer That Has Spread, Not Responded to Other Treatments - Herald-Mail Media - April 24th, 2020