PETITION: Pres. Trump don't give federal funds to COVID-19 vaccines made from aborted baby cellsSign the petition here.
WASHINGTON, DC, April 15, 2020 (LifeSiteNews) More than 130 members of Congress urged President Donald Trump to maintain your current fetal tissue research policy and to redirect funds toward ethical, successful alternatives to combat COVID-19.
The pro-life representatives, including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, thanked Trump in an April 14 letter for his decisive actions to protect human life and human dignity on every front, praising him for having brought great hope to our nation.
In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, it has been argued by some that Trumps ban on aborted fetal tissue research by government scientists is thwarting efforts to find a remedy for the disease.
A senior scientist at a government biomedical research laboratory has been thwarted in his efforts to conduct experiments on possible treatments for the new coronavirus because of the Trump administrations restrictions on research with human fetal tissue, the Washington Post claimed in March.
Several of the leading COVID-19 vaccine developments, however, are using aborted fetal cells.
15 state Attorneys General had written to President Trump on March 26, stating that the use of aborted fetal tissue could help accelerate vaccine development to combat COVID-19, as well as study the impact to pregnant women and children.
We ask you to end your Fetal Tissue Ban to allow our top scientists the ability to solve this global health crisis, the Attorneys General concluded.
The more than 130 pro-life members of Congress responded to the allegations brought forward by proponents of aborted fetal tissue research, pointing out that they repeat false claims and narratives which for many years have touted the utility of aborted fetal tissue in research, including the claim that aborted fetal tissue has been used to create many vaccines.
The signers of the April 14 letter stressed that fetal tissue from ongoing abortions has never been used in production of a single vaccine. Instead, a few old cell lines from abortions performed in the 1960s and 1970s are used for a small handful of vaccines.
More importantly, most vaccines today use more efficient, modern cell lines and production techniques, the members of Congress explained.
Also, the few attempted transplants of aborted fetal tissue have resulted in making most patients worse, not better, they added.
The members of Congress showed that scientific progress and ethical behavior can go hand in hand.
The focus of the current appeals for taxpayer money to buy fetal tissue is the supposed necessity of using aborted baby body parts to construct humanized mice to test drugs. Yet, this antiquated technology has been surpassed by a plethora of modern, ethical techniques, as has been thoroughly described and cited in Congressional testimony.
Accusing the proponents of aborted fetal tissue research of exploiting the current situation for their own benefit, the pro-life representatives said that holding the line ethically gives us the ability to put resources toward better, more promising science that is already showing potential against COVID-19.
They specifically mentioned three projects.
First, they pointed to humanized mice that already exist, but are not based on aborted fetal tissue.
Then, they talked about [r]epurposing already-approved drugs also showing potential in treating coronavirus patients. At the end of March, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized experimental coronavirus treatments using anti-malaria drugs chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine.
Finally, they emphasized the great potential of adult stem cells, derived without destroying embryos and without abortion. One specific type of human adult stem cell, they said, has been shown to generate new lung tissue and heal damaged lungs, essential for repair of lungs damaged by respiratory viruses. Another was successful in improving the health of people suffering from pneumonia induced by the coronavirus.
Instrumental in drafting the letter was Congressman Doug Lamborn, representing Colorados 5th congressional district since 2007.
During this crisis, the last thing anyone should do is try and advance the lefts radical abortion agenda, Lamborn said. Life is precious at all stages and any claim to the contrary is unconscionable.
He is convinced that a cure for COVID-19 will be found, but using tissue from aborted babies to do so is unethical and wrong. Im thankful that President Trump has taken such a strong stand for life, and Im confident a solution can be found while also maintaining the sanctity of life.
Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of pro-life Susan B. Anthony List, praised the letter in a statement on Wednesday.
As millions of Americans work together to fight the coronavirus outbreak, the profit-driven abortion industry and their allies exploit fears surrounding the pandemic to promote an extreme abortion agenda, she noted.
Abortion supporters insist that unethical experiments involving aborted baby body parts are necessary to find a cure for the coronavirus, ignoring the wide variety of ethical options already available and under development, she continued.
We are greatly encouraged by the strong leadership of Sen. Wicker, Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, Rep. Lamborn, Rep. Latta, and all our pro-life allies in Congress who are fighting back against the abortion industrys attempts to exploit this national pandemic to advance their dangerous agenda.
See the original post:
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 16th, 2020
- How frogs became green again, and again, and again : Research Highlights - Nature.com - July 16th, 2020
- Pressing ahead - PharmaTimes - July 16th, 2020
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Brings on Myron S. Czuczman, MD as Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Executive Vice President - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2020
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Seen to Help COPD Patients with Severe Inflammation - COPD News Today - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Ide-cel Appears Active in Almost Three-Fourths of Heavily Pretreated Patients with Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- Opdivo + Yervoy receive FDA approval combined with limited chemotherapy as first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020