Optimists have had a difficult time over the past year. However, there are many reasons to be hopeful about the future of healthcare.
The next decade will see a major transformation in health systems and healthcare, driven in part by growing digital health capabilities and medical innovations. Here are some innovations and technologies that have me excited for the future.
A cure for type 1 diabetes
The word cure is a bit of a rarity in healthcare, with treatments predominantly designed to manage conditions or their symptoms; a cure is the holy grail.
For Doug Melton, a Harvard biologist whose children have type 1 diabetes, just managing their condition was not enough. He began work 10 years ago using stem cells to try and replicate human beta cells, which produce insulin. His company was bought out and recently launched a clinical trial of VX-880, a stem cell-derived beta cell therapy, in people with type 1 diabetes.
A CURE for type 1 diabetes is simply incredible, potentially saving people from a lifetime of careful eating, insulin injections and blood glucose tests.
Precision medicine takes into account a persons individual genetics, environment and lifestyle to match them to a treatment that will give them the best possible outcomes. Precision medicines already exist; imatinib works to treat leukaemia only when the cancer cells have a particular genetic makeup, Sotorasib targets a specific mutation in people with lung cancer to halt tumour growth, and there are many more examples.
In the future were going to see more and more precision medicines, as we move away from a one-size-fits-all approach, and step towards a world where clinicians can accurately predict which treatments will work best for different people. I cant wait to live in a time when we will have a specific treatment for different forms of a condition, and every patient has the best chance of managing or even curing their disease.
You could be forgiven for reading that heading and thinking Id read a few too many science fiction novels recently, but stay with me. Nanomedicine is the medical application of nanotechnology, which operates at the atomic or molecular scale. This technology has the potential for a diverse range of uses in healthcare, from imaging and diagnosis to drug targeting and delivery.
Its not something thats ridiculously out of reach either. There are companies that have developed and begun testing this technology. CytImmune Sciences recently completed a Phase I trial using gold nanoparticles to target drug delivery to tumours; BlueWillow Biologics has developed nanotech that fights viruses and bacteria. The fact that nanomedicine is no longer a far-fetched dream is hugely exciting and it will be fascinating to watch our capabilities in this area grow.
Feeling more positive yet?
Hopefully these examples have reminded you of what an incredible age we live in for medical innovation as we make things that werent dreamed of 20 years ago into our reality. Of course, there are countless more technologies and therapies on the horizon that probably deserve to be listed here too.
What has got you excited about the future of healthcare? Let us know in the comments.
By Lewis P.
- COVID-19: Researchers warn against overhyping early-stage therapies - Medical News Today - October 26th, 2021
- OpRegen Data Update to Be Featured at 2021 American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting in Presentation by Michael S. Ip, M.D. - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Insights & Outcomes: Place cells, planarians, and 'prewet' proteins - Yale News - October 26th, 2021
- IMAC Holdings The Back Space Announces the Completion of Two Additional Retail Spinal Care Locations - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- JEFFERSON PARISH PARTNERS WITH LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH TO ADMINISTER FREE FLU SHOTS AND COVID-19 VACCINES ON NOVEMBER 6, 2021 - 10-25-YYYY -... - October 26th, 2021
- Male Infertility Could Be Treated With Monkey Cells; New Study Shows How These Animals Could Help Address the Condition - Science Times - October 26th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to Host Key Opinion Leader Webcast on the Compelling Need to Salvage Central Venous Catheters in CLABSI Patients - Yahoo... - October 26th, 2021
- New findings may help widen therapeutic interventions for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia - News-Medical.Net - October 25th, 2021
- Getting to Know Kate Roth at Beacon Integrative Medical Center in Rexburg - East Idaho News - October 25th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Adoption of Regenerative Medicine & Introduction of Novel Platforms and Technologies -... - October 25th, 2021
- Vertex reports positive results for first patient in Type 1 diabetes trial - BetaBoston - October 23rd, 2021
- Morris receives grant for stem cell research - The Source - Washington University Record - October 23rd, 2021
- Vertex moves ahead with its bid to develop a curative treatment for type 1 diabetes - PMLiVE - October 23rd, 2021
- McLaughlin Research Institute receives $5 million gift to support neurology studies - Great Falls Tribune - October 23rd, 2021
- AML medication and treatment: What to know - Medical News Today - October 23rd, 2021
- U S Stem Cell : USRM to Focus on Animal Health and Lead Pet-Care Innovation - Marketscreener.com - October 19th, 2021
- Opinion: Why Colin Powell's death should not be framed as the death of a vaccinated person - Poynter - October 19th, 2021
- Quris combines AI with patient on a chip to speed drug development and reduce animal testing - TechCrunch - October 19th, 2021
- Dr. Helen Heslop elected to the National Academy of Medicine - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 19th, 2021
- Researchers report long-lasting effects of gene therapy in children with deadly immune disorder - News-Medical.Net - October 19th, 2021
- Coronavirus: How does misinformation spread, and how can we stop it? - The Jerusalem Post - October 17th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 17th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2021 Trends and Leading Players Analysis 2027 Merck, STEMCELL Technologies, Irvinesci, Cell... - October 15th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 15th, 2021
- After no stem cell donors stepped up to saved her son, mom continues to help others facing the same challenge - Chicago Tribune - October 15th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 15th, 2021
- Are 'robot massages' the future of muscle repair? - Medical News Today - October 15th, 2021
- What the FDA Panel's Moderna Booster Shot Vote Means and What's Next - NBC Chicago - October 15th, 2021
- Phase 2 Clinical Trial Data of NurOwn in Progressive MS Will Be Presented at the 37th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in... - October 15th, 2021
- R3 Stem Cell & Exosome Therapy: Joint & Back Pain, Avoid ... - October 13th, 2021
- Stem Cell PhD Program | Institute for Stem Cell Biology ... - October 13th, 2021
- New stem cell identified by Sanford Burnham Prebys researchers offers hope to people with rare liver disease - Newswise - October 13th, 2021
- Repurposed Drug Reverses Signs of Alzheimers in Mice, Human Cells - The Scientist - October 13th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Scientific Advisory Board for iMSC cell and gene therapy platform development - StreetInsider.com - October 13th, 2021
- What the latest COVID research says about breakthrough cases and transmission : Shots - Health News - NPR - October 13th, 2021
- HNF collaborates with Rarebase on a Drug Discovery Platform to develop treatments for Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2021
- Autologous HSCT Continues to Show Sustained Benefit in MCL, But Targeted Therapies May Challenge its Role as Standard Frontline Treatment -... - October 13th, 2021
- Bartolo Coln, Winner Of The Cy Young, Wins Lawsuit In Case Of Stem Cell Treatment To Which He Was Subjected Before His Return To The Major Leagues. -... - October 11th, 2021
- The Impact Of Market Restrictions On The US Stem Cell Biomaterials Market - Med Device Online - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Letter. - Yahoo Finance - October 11th, 2021
- Top US Leukemia Experts from Academia, Industry and Public Sector Coming Together at Acute Myeloid Leukemia Conference on October 22 - OncLive - October 11th, 2021
- Precision medicine data dive shows water pill may be viable to test as Alzheimer's treatment - National Institutes of Health - October 11th, 2021
- Treating Early Relapse in Follicular Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - October 11th, 2021
- Humans and Chimpanzees Use a Part of Their DNA in Different Ways - Technology Networks - October 11th, 2021
- A stem cell treatment for MS offers some patients hope. But is it hope that will last? - WHYY - October 9th, 2021
- CAR T Offer New Treatment Option for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - October 9th, 2021
- FDA Advisory Committee Recommends Maribavir to Treat Cytomegalovirus CMV Infection and Disease - Contagionlive.com - October 9th, 2021
- What surgeons are saying about regenerative medicine in 2021 - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - October 9th, 2021
- Study illuminates how BRD4 protein directs the spatial organization of DNA within cell nucleus - News-Medical.net - October 9th, 2021
- Cellular Therapy Strategies Offer the Prospect of Deep Remissions for Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - October 9th, 2021
- Anti-CD47 Therapy and Other New Approaches to the Treatment of Myelodysplastic - Targeted Oncology - October 9th, 2021
- ViaCyte to Present at Alliance for Regenerative Medicine Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2021
- Seattle Stem Cell Therapy Clinic - Seattle Sports Medicine ... - October 7th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2021
- New Stem Cell Approach Through Using Wavelength Laser Might have Discovered Why Humans Lose Hair - Tech Times - October 5th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - WMTV - NBC15 - October 5th, 2021
- Losing Your Hair? You Might Blame the Great Stem Cell Escape. - The New York Times - October 5th, 2021
- Northwesterns SPORE has made advances in understanding the genetic basis of glioblastoma - News-Medical.Net - October 5th, 2021
- NextCure Announces New Appointments to its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Therapy and Prevention Strategies for Myocardial Infarction | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 3rd, 2021
- Lack of awareness about blood stem cell donation is one of the leading causes for low number of donors in In.. - ETHealthworld.com - October 3rd, 2021
- Advanced technique offers new insights about the dynamics of gliomas - News-Medical.net - October 3rd, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 2nd, 2021
- The stem cell revolution isnt what you think it is - New Scientist News - October 2nd, 2021
- Stem cell agency gives out $2 million a minute - Capitol Weekly - October 2nd, 2021
- Researching the Safety and Effectiveness of Stem Cells to Treat 'Long Covid' - Entrepreneur - October 2nd, 2021
- United States Regenerative Medicine Markets to 2026: Focus on Cell Therapies, Gene Therapies, Progenitor & Stem Cell Therapies, Tissue Engineered... - October 2nd, 2021
- U.S. FDA Approves Kite's Tecartus as the First and Only Car T for Adults With Relapsed or Refractory B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - Business... - October 2nd, 2021
- Omeros Provides Regulatory Update on Biologics License Application for Narsoplimab in the Treatment of HSCT-TMA - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market in North America 2021 Sees Growth Due to Rising Spending Capacity and Suitable Payment Plans - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - BioSpace - October 2nd, 2021
- Macomics Announces New Hires that Expands its Macrophage-based Drug Discovery R&D Team - BioSpace - October 2nd, 2021
- Stanford neuroscientist's 'assembloids' pave the way for innovative brain research - Scope - October 2nd, 2021
- At the crossroads of reproductive and regenerative medicine: new opportunities for preserving and restoring fertility - ESHRE - September 25th, 2021
- Doctors Debate: Do CAR T Cells and Transplantation Both Have a Place in Aggressive B-Cell Lymphoma Treatment? - Targeted Oncology - September 25th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2021 Development Status,Industry Insights and Forecast Research Report 2027 Stillwater Current -... - September 25th, 2021
- AML vs. ALL: Differences in symptoms, diagnosis, and survival - Medical News Today - September 25th, 2021
- New gene therapies may soon treat dozens of rare diseases - American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - September 25th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Receives Notice of Allowance for Patent Application in Israel for its Metabolic Program - GlobeNewswire - September 25th, 2021