WASHINGTON The White House in recent days has accelerated an effort that President Trump began months ago: openly discrediting the guidance of Anthony Fauci, the countrys top infectious diseases researcher.
Trump accused Fauci of making a lot of mistakes since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic in a recent interview, justifying his continued disagreements with the veteran scientist on issues as routine as the number of new coronavirus cases. He also said he disagreed with Faucis assessment that the U.S. was handling the crisis poorly compared to other nations which, given the 60,000-plus Americans being diagnosed with the disease each day, is a simple reality. On Sunday, the Washington Post reported the White House had begun circulating a list of Faucis early predictions and guidance surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic that many, in hindsight, have labeled as overly optimistic, though several lacked context.
The latest broadsides have reignited fears that Trump could take far more drastic action to limit Faucis public health power and platform or even remove him from his post, the way Trump has unceremoniously axed so many other federal officials.
Faucis future role in the U.S. governments pandemic response will follow one of three paths. Though Trump cant easily fire him, administration officials could remove him from his post leading the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and reassign him elsewhere in government. Trump could also attempt to formally bar Fauci from conducting public briefings or interviews, effectively silencing one of the administrations most recognizable public health experts.
Or Trump could continue to quietly diminish Faucis role and subtly limit his public platform as he has for months.
Faucis role in public outreach has visibly diminished since spring, when he would regularly accompany Trump to daily White House coronavirus task force press briefings. His public role has since been reduced to sporadic appearances on podcasts, at scientific gatherings, or in print news stories. Fauci said recently he hasnt briefed the president since June.
Even at the since-discontinued briefings, Trump would challenge Fauci, once admitting we disagree a little bit on lack of evidence surrounding hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug, in preventing Covid-19, allowing that his view was just a feeling.
For now, however, the White House has insisted that Fauci remains in good standing and is not in jeopardy of losing his job. Trump even boasted of his very good relationship with Fauci on Monday.
Outside experts, however, feel that as long as Fauci continues to speak the truth on the realities of the pandemic, hell keep making enemies within the administration.
If they do punish Fauci for telling the truth, then where are we? said Elias Zerhouni, the former NIH director who famously testified to Congress that former president George W. Bushs ban on scientific use of embryonic stem cells was stifling research. You can ignore it, you can say I dont take [your advice] into account, I changed my mind, Im the policymaker. But dont say youre going to punish the messenger.
Below, STAT walks through the possible futures for Fauci and why some are likelier than others.
The most dramatic and least likely move: Trump could try to fire Fauci.
But federal law prevents the president from firing most government employees without cause.
Tony Fauci is not a presidential appointee, Zerhouni said. Hes a civil [servant] for 35, 40 years. So you cant really fire him from the government thats not in the powers of the president.
But if push came to shove, Trump could almost certainly order Faucis superiors health secretary Alex Azar or NIH chief Francis Collins to reassign him to a different role within the Department of Health and Human Services.
Theres precedent for such a move even during the Covid-19 pandemic. In late April, the Trump administration abruptly made a leadership change at BARDA, an agency explicitly tasked with keeping the nation prepared for a pandemic or bioterrorism.
The agencys ousted leader, Rick Bright, was reassigned to a post at NIH focused on developing diagnostic tests. He soon claimed in a whistleblower lawsuit that his reassignment was retribution for his opposition to the presidents enthusiasm for hydroxychloroquine.
Zerhouni stressed that he does not believe Trump would move to reassign Fauci. But if he did, he said, it would put Azar and Collins in a difficult position.
It would be like the Saturday Night Massacre, to be honest with you, Zerhouni said, referencing the infamous 1973 night when former president Richard Nixon ordered his attorney general to fire a special prosecutor investigating the White House, only for the attorney general and his deputy to resign in protest instead of carrying out his order.
If they do that, a lot of other people would resign, he said.
A slightly less severe, though no less noticeable, step: Trump could cut off Fauci from making any media appearances whatsoever.
Already in March, White House officials started requiring federal health experts to get their approval for any public speaking engagement. And Faucis seen his time limited as the pandemic has dragged on, especially after the administrations Covid-19 task force stopped conducting daily briefings.
Its not an out-of-the-ordinary arrangement; NIH leadership had to clear its media appearances with the White House in Zerhounis time too, the former NIH director said.
You have to go by the rules of communication in the government, he said. Its very typical.
But Trump has, at least in one case, taken things much farther. In late February, Nancy Messonnier, a high-ranking Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official, delivered a stark warning in a press briefing: The agency expected the coronavirus would soon begin spreading through American communities, and the disruptions to daily life could be severe.
The remarks now seem prescient, even unreasonably calm. But when they were published, stock markets nosedived, and Trump was enraged, and reportedly advocated for firing Messonnier. The end result has been functionally similar, at least in terms of Messonniers public-facing role: She has not briefed reporters, or spoken publicly in any way, since.
Thats far more concerning, Zerhouni said.
The fact that they dont let you for a long time that is something else. I never had that, he said. I always cleared it with the White House and HHS and it was usually OK, and I dont recall an instance where I was censored to not talk.
Even if the White House did bar Fauci from any future media appearances, he could still continue in arguably his most important function: helping to oversee the development of coronavirus vaccines and therapeutics. Messonnier, in fact, has presumably done much the same at CDC, returning to run an agency office focused on vaccines and respiratory diseases.
Attempting to silence Fauci from his role as a public health messenger, however, seems both difficult and unlikely: He is well-liked and trusted among Americans, effectively a household name.
Fauci, who has served six presidents and led the NIAID since 1984, isnt necessarily the natural face of public health. His main job at NIAID is to oversee nearly $6 billion in grants and in-house research conducted into vaccines and medicines.
Faucis role, technically, is that of a researcher not that of a public health adviser. Its only after decades playing a leading role advising presidents like Ronald Reagan during the HIV epidemic and Barack Obama during the Ebola outbreak in Western Africa that the public has come to view him as a key part of any presidents public health apparatus a role that could easily be filled by CDC or others within the federal health department.
But because Faucis role as a public spokesman is not a formal part of his job, its also easy for Trump and other federal officials to limit how much of that work falls to him.
Experts view this as the most likely scenario, in large part because it is the one that is currently happening. And despite the low-grade attacks, former NIH director Harold Varmus argued its a tolerable status quo as long as decisions about what research the agency funds and conducts doesnt become more politicized, too.
So far, [criticism of Fauci] has not affected the way NIH conducts and supports scientific research, he said. On the other hand, certainly, the government should have a representative who speaks the truth about whats going on and no one is as well equipped as Tony Fauci to do that.
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Patenting Stem Cell Inventions in India- What to Expect? - Lexology - September 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market will Hit Big Revenues in Future | COVID19 Unlock opportunities - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Novel discovery could lead to stem cell-based treatment for heart failure - News-Medical.Net - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 11th, 2020
- Development Trends and Financial Analysis of Stem Cell Assay Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- School of Science grows by 10 - MIT News - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Fuel Revenues Through 2020 Lake Shore Gazette - Lake Shore Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 8th, 2020
- Live-cell imaging and analysis reveal cell phenotypic transition dynamics inherently missing in snapshot data - Science Advances - September 8th, 2020
- An ancient virus might have made our hearts bigger - Scope - Scope - September 8th, 2020
- How Groups of Cells Cooperate to Build Organs and Organisms - The Scientist - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists create embryonic stem cells without destroying ... - August 29th, 2020
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells | USCCB - August 29th, 2020
- Foetal cells are used to make the Oxford coronavirus vaccine. But they came from a foetus in 1973 - ABC News - August 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Galus Australis - August 29th, 2020
- Translational Regenerative Medicines Market: Which Region Will Register Higher CAGR? 2017-2026 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market 2020 (Covid-19 Impact) In-depth Industry Analysis By Types, Applications and Forecast 2026: Celgene, Cynata,... - August 27th, 2020
- Pro-life groups applaud Trump administration advisory board for rejecting fetal tissue research proposals - Christianity Daily - August 27th, 2020
- Global regenerative medicine market size was USD 23841.5 Million in 2018 and is Projected to Reach USD 151949.5 Million by 2026, Exhibiting a CAGR of... - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market- By Type, Component, Industry, Region Market Size, Demand Forecasts, Company Profiles, Industry Trends and... - August 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ron Evans steals a trick from I/O, and points the way to a transformational diabetes therapy - Endpoints News - August 20th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Stockhouse - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 19th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 16th, 2020
- What Are the Five Warning Signs of Testicular Cancer? - MedicineNet - August 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- New Study Presents Cell-based Therapy for MN Diseases or Spinal Cord Disorders - Mirage News - August 11th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 11th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR The Strand - Strand - August 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime -... - July 30th, 2020
- Waveguide Combiners & Dividers Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 30th, 2020
- Expanded encyclopaedias of DNA elements in the human and mouse genomes - Nature.com - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- New model may explain why certain cancer cells are resistant to therapy - News-Medical.Net - July 30th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020 Report Forecast By Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview - Express Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 28th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 24th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020-2026 | Comprehensive Study of COVID-19 Impact | Worldwide Key Players: Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 14th, 2020
- Turning off junk DNA may free stem cells to become neurons - National Institutes of Health - July 14th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - Space.com - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Growth, Size, Opportunities and Analysis Forecast 2020 - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- What Miniature Lab-Grown Brains Reveal About the Effects of Covid-19 - OneZero - July 14th, 2020
- Transdermal Testosterone Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Stem Cells Market Study 2018-2028 Segmented On The Basis of Product Type, Geographical Analysis, Future Forecast,... - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by BioLife Solutions, Akron Biotechnology, GE... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and Forecast 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Human CNS barrier-forming organoids with cerebrospinal fluid production - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 10th, 2020
- Network Traffic Analyzer Market Size 2020 Global Industry Insights, Share, Growth, Trend, Demand, Top Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 10th, 2020