The anti-aging MIRACLE. Strengthen your immune system. Lose weight fast.
These are some of the promises of autophagy, the silver bullet wellness influencers are saying is backed by Nobel-winning science.
In many cases, influencers say the best way to boost autophagy the bodys way of recycling molecules is with a product available from their online store.
While autophagy sounds too good to be true, the scientific reality may cross over with the hype at least in laboratory mice and some other organisms.
Heres where the science is up to and what we still need to find out to see if boosting autophagy helps humans.
Read more: Research Check: can eating aged cheese help you age well?
Autophagy is a vital process that removes and recycles unwanted or damaged molecules from your cells.
The process begins with the cell marking unwanted or damaged organelles (made from molecules like proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, and DNA or RNA) for removal.
These marked organelles are enveloped by a membrane, sealing them inside like a garbage bag, becoming what scientists call an autophagosome.
The autophagosome then moves closer to another organelle called a lysosome, a small acidic bag filled with powerful enzymes. When the two fuse, their contents mix. The enzymes break down the rubbish into recycled nutrients your cells can re-use.
It is the ultimate detox, and youre doing it right now.
Removing these waste products can potentially affect age-related diseases. For example, genetically engineered mice with less autophagy are more likely to develop tumours. Decreased autophagy also accelerates signs of dementia and heart disease in mice.
Autophagy degrades cellular components to re-use as an energy source during advanced stages of starvation in mice. And because autophagy is crucial for survival during starvation, it is sensitive to nutrient and energy levels. If we decrease nutrition in laboratory cells and laboratory animals, autophagy increases to compensate. This means diet can potentially modify autophagy.
It all sounds promising. But, and this is the big stumbling block, we dont really know how it acts in humans.
Read more: Of mice and men: why animal trial results dont always translate to humans
For us to know if fasting, taking a pill or some other activity affects autophagy in humans (and our health), we need to be able to measure if autophagy is increasing or decreasing.
And our group has developed the first test of its kind to measure how autophagy activity varies in humans. But even that is limited to blood samples. Were still not sure about the levels of autophagy in tissues like the brain or whether the autophagy activity we see in the blood matches elsewhere in the body. We are working on it.
Read more: There's no magic way to boost your energy. But 'perineum sunning' isn't the answer
We simply do not understand enough about autophagy in humans, and there has not been enough time to test whether autophagy-boosting diets or supplements actually work in people. At best this makes various claims of boosting autophagy and its benefits premature, and at worst, completely incorrect.
Given the positive results in animals, and because autophagy is sensitive to nutrition, it is not surprising there is no end of advice and nutritional supplements that promise to increase autophagy for healthy ageing.
These tend to be books or material that explain how to diet your way to more autophagy (using intermittent fasting or keto-diets for example). Or, you can buy supplements claiming to increase autophagy with ingredients such as citrus bergamot.
As dubious as these claims might seem, a lot of them do tend to stem from a grain of truth. Indeed, work on the mechanisms of autophagy really did win the Nobel Prize in 2016.
But influencers claims wildly extrapolate from preliminary data without context. For example, a mouse can only go without food for two to three days before dying, while a human can go without food for weeks.
So exactly how much fasting is required to increase autophagy in humans is completely unknown: influencer claims of 16, 24 or 48 hours are stabs in the dark.
This is equally true for supplements. One prominent product for sale is spermidine, which can increase autophagy in the laboratory, such as in yeast and cultured human cells. However, nothing directly shows it can increase autophagy in humans.
Autophagy has only been widely studied for around 15 years. So far, we know it can slow biological ageing in laboratory animals. Because of this, it has the potential to address some of the biggest health issues our society currently faces. This includes dementia, cancer and heart disease.
But, at the moment, we just dont know enough about autophagy in humans to make any claims about what we can do to increase it, or any health benefits.
Ben Lewis, science writer and communicator at the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute, co-authored this article.
See original here:
- Benefits of including Giloy to your diet and guide to use it - Newsd.in - January 16th, 2022
- Dr. Khera and Dr. Pearlman discuss innovations in testosterone therapy - Urology Times - January 13th, 2022
- NIH researchers develop first stem cell model of albinism to study related eye conditions - National Institutes of Health - January 13th, 2022
- A UVM Researcher Uses Artificial Intelligence and Frog Cells to Create Self-Replicating 'Xenobots' - Seven Days - January 13th, 2022
- Type 1 Diabetes and Sleep: What You Can Do About It - Healthline - January 13th, 2022
- Can You Fight Aging? Scientists Are Testing Drugs to Help - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2022
- CAR-T cell therapy with ASCT brings hope to lymphoma patients - Chinadaily USA - January 11th, 2022
- Umbilical cord blood donations offer hope for those in Japan in need of stem cells - The Japan Times - January 11th, 2022
- Fate Therapeutics Announces FDA Clearance for FT536, a First-in-class MICA/B-targeted CAR NK Cell Product Candidate for the Treatment of Solid Tumors... - January 11th, 2022
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy saved Minnesota man from amputation - The Dickinson Press - January 11th, 2022
- The State of Diabetes Care, 100 Years After the First Insulin Shot - Healthline - January 11th, 2022
- Equillium Announces Multiple Abstracts Accepted for Presentation at the Transplantation & Cellular Meetings of ASTCT and CIBMTR - Business Wire - January 11th, 2022
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Recent Commercial and Regulatory Progress for Late-stage HSC ... - The Bakersfield Californian - January 11th, 2022
- Cancer Stem Cells Market Overview by Industry Dynamics, Regional Analysis and Forecast 2021 to 2026 Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 2nd, 2022
- How to reverse your bio age like Tom Brady and Jeff Bezos in 8 weeks - New York Post - January 2nd, 2022
- Pros and Cons of Stem Cell Research Debate: Benefits ... - December 29th, 2021
- Skincare treatments that will dominate 2022 - Times of India - December 29th, 2021
- With soaring demand for meat, it's time to fund animal-free protein research | TheHill - The Hill - December 29th, 2021
- How do some people live past 100 years? Studying rare mutations may crack the scientific mystery - Scroll.in - December 29th, 2021
- The future of Food? From 3D-printed meat-free steaks to edible insect burgers - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - December 29th, 2021
- Nonsteroidal Joint Injection Options The Horse - TheHorse.com - December 26th, 2021
- Innovative Methods Legendary Athletes Have Used to Remain the Best - 24/7 Wall St. - December 25th, 2021
- Pork or beef? Stem cells pave the way for lab-grown meat - SYFY WIRE - December 23rd, 2021
- Systemic Mastocytosis Treatments Gain Hope Due To Increasing Novel Treatment Options - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2021
- MESO NUMISMATICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - December 23rd, 2021
- Scientists Used CRISPR Gene Editing to Choose the Sex of Mouse Pups - Singularity Hub - December 23rd, 2021
- What Is Sodium Hyaluronate and How Can It Benefit the Skin? - InStyle - December 23rd, 2021
- Which Tea is the Healthiest? The Benefits of the Most Popular - The Beet - December 19th, 2021
- Viagra associated with reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease - National Institutes of Health - December 19th, 2021
- BMS and Kite Unveil CAR-T Successes in Lymphoma - BioSpace - December 19th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Highlights Presentations of Data Related to Stem Cell Mobilization and Targeted Conditioning at the 2021 American Society of... - December 19th, 2021
- 6 Uses and Benefits of CBD On Skin - City Watch - December 19th, 2021
- Sangamo Therapeutics Announces Updated Preliminary SAR445136 Phase 1/2 Proof-of-Concept Data Showing Tole - Benzinga - December 12th, 2021
- Politicians Push For Late-Term Abortion Laws to Increase Profits of the Industry's Black Baby Parts Business - BlackNews.com - December 11th, 2021
- Affimed to Host Virtual Investor Call Today to Discuss Treatment of CD30-positive Lymphoma ... - The Bakersfield Californian - December 11th, 2021
- Using algae to make cell-based seabass fillets: 'We anticipate that cultured fish can have increased health benefits' - FoodNavigator.com - December 11th, 2021
- Regenerative Medical Center for Stem Cell Treatments MSC+ ... - December 11th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements 2021 Report - Featuring Regenetech, Stempeutics and Arthrex Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 9th, 2021
- Benefits of Pulsed Laser-based Skin Therapy - Newswise - December 9th, 2021
- What is orthobiologics? - Sanford Health News - December 9th, 2021
- Two year follow up shows delaying umbilical cord clamping saves babies lives - News - The University of Sydney - December 9th, 2021
- PharmaEssentia's BESREMi (ropeginterferon alfa-2b-njft) Now Available for the Treatment of People With Polycythemia Vera in the United States -... - December 7th, 2021
- Awards and Honors: Winter 2021 | Department of Medicine News | Stanford Medicine - Stanford Medicine - December 7th, 2021
- Here's Why Longeveron Is Surging Today - Motley Fool - December 4th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Partnering Report/Directory 2021: Terms and Agreements for 1600 Deals 2014-2 - Benzinga - December 4th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Market is anticipated to reach US$ 2.8 Bn by 2031 - PRNewswire - December 4th, 2021
- Stem-cell implant prototypes pave the way towards life-long treatment for type 1 diabetes - ZME Science - December 3rd, 2021
- Certain Patients With Heart Failure May Benefit From Stem Cell Therapy - Pharmacy Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces Conference Call and Webcast to Discuss Lancet Respiratory Medicine Publications and Provide a Corporate Update - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Roundtable Discussion: Usmani and Participants Review Using Transplant and Combination Therapy in a Patient With Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoiesis and innate immunity: an inseparable couple for good and bad times, bound together by an hormetic relationship - DocWire News - December 3rd, 2021
- Reality of universal cancer prevention & cure - BSA bureau - December 3rd, 2021
- World Aids Day Improving the lives of everyone affected by HIV - QMUL - December 3rd, 2021
- Seres Therapeutics Announces First Patient Enrolled in Phase 1b Study of SER-155, an Investigational Microbiome Therapeutic to Reduce the Risk of... - December 3rd, 2021
- AVROBIO Presents Clinician Experience with FAB-GT Clinical Trial and Updated Safety Data for Investigational Gene Therapies in Fabry Disease and... - November 28th, 2021
- The questions surgical robots still need to answer - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - November 24th, 2021
- Holiday Gift Guide 2021: The Best Wellness And Self-Care Essentials For Travel - Forbes - November 24th, 2021
- Investigating pathogens and their life cycles, for the benefit of society - MIT News - November 24th, 2021
- Mitigating Toxicities Will Position BCMA for Role in Triple-Class Refractory Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - November 24th, 2021
- Human Primary Cells Market 2021 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis and Strategies of Key Players: Lonza, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - November 21st, 2021
- Researcher Works for Diversity, Inclusion in Sciences, One Journal at a Time - Lab Manager Magazine - November 18th, 2021
- Raw Marijuana Won't Get You Stoned, But It Does Have Some Interesting Benefits - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 16th, 2021
- The 18 Best New November 2021 Skin-Care Launches That Deserve a Spot in Your Routine - Allure - November 16th, 2021
- Singapore Aims To Lead The World In Lab-Grown Meat - Intelligent Living - November 16th, 2021
- Dermarolling Your Scalp Is Proven to Increase Hair Growth and Thickness Here's How to Do It - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Failure Reduces CV Events, Death in Select Patientsbut not Hospitalization - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 15th, 2021
- JASPER THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 15th, 2021
- Week In Review: Zai Lab Announces Two In-Licensings With Total Value Of $800 Million - Seeking Alpha - November 15th, 2021
- Beam gets green light to begin first clinical test of base editing - BioPharma Dive - November 15th, 2021
- GlycoMimetics GMI-1359 Data Selected for Presentation at 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition - Galveston County... - November 15th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Present at the Credit Suisse 30th Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2021
- Biotech Companies are Expanding the Frontiers of Engineered Cell Therapy - BioSpace - November 11th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Abstract Highlighting FT538 and - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present Preclinical Data Highlighting Fully Allogeneic CAR-T Product Candidates at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer... - November 11th, 2021
- Affimed Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - KULR-TV - November 11th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Present at the Credit Suisse 30th Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 9th, 2021
- Hoth Therapeutics Inks API and Drug Product Contracts with WuXi STA to Advance Manufacturing of HT-KIT Cancer Therapeutic - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2021
- Technology set to redesign the future of food as agriculture moves towards net zero - ABC News - November 9th, 2021
- MAGENTA THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 5th, 2021