There are various benefits to banking for baby's cord blood. But parents should consider if they want to do it privately or not.
Before giving birth to their tiny bundle of joy, parents usually do so much in preparation for the arrival of their new family member. They do things such as painting the nursery, finding a good pediatrician, choosing the best stroller, and much more. You may also want to think about one more thing; whether to bank your babys cord bloodor not. Today, many parents are considering banking their babys cord blood. If you are considering doing the same, you should find out the difference between private and public cord blood banking. First, however, you need to find out what it is and whether it is right for you and your family.
RELATED:The Pros & Cons Of Umbilical Cord Blood Banking
Over the last few years, the popularity of cord blood banking has been rising. You probably heard about it or came across information about it at some point or another. However, do you understand what it is? During delivery, when the doctor cuts the cord, some extra blood remains in the placenta and umbilical cord. This is cord blood, which is not needed after birth. However, this blood contains cells that could be helpful to those who are sick in the future or even now.
Cord blood banking is a painless and simple procedure that could save many lives. It involves harvesting of the cord blood from the clamped-off umbilical cord, freezing it, and then storing it for future use. If stored properly, it can last indefinitely. Scientists continue to study how it might help with various disorders and diseases, such as Parkinsons disease, diabetes, autism, cerebral palsy, and certain heart defects.
If you choose to donate your babys cord blood to a public blood bank, you will not need to pay any fees. Once processed, the blood will be part of the registry and any patient in need of it will have access to it. If you opt for private cord blood banking, however, you will probably need to pay collection and storage fees. Your babys cord blood, in this case, will be for your use only. Essentially, you and your loved ones will have exclusive rights and access to your stem cells.
Private cord blood banking means a higher chance of a match if the need arises. In other words, your baby will have a perfect match and his/her siblings will have a 75 percent chance of being a partial match. This reduces the risk of post-transplant GVHD, or graft versus host disease. On the other hand, if you choose public cord blood banking, public recipients will need to be a suitable match for a transplant. Unfortunately, experts estimate that post-transplant GVHD happens in 60 percent to 80 percent of procedures where the recipient and donor are unrelated.
Although you will need to pay some processing and storage fees when you use private cord blood banking, you will not have to pay any retrieval cost. Therefore, if the unthinkable happens and you need to use the blood, you can simply go and get it from the bank. Public cord blood banking recipients, however, need to spend quite a lot of money to buy from a public bank.
Public cord blood banking is helpful to patients suffering from one of more than 70 diseases. Researchers also use it to further their cord blood studies; however, it is not always available for clinical trials.
Private banking, on the other hand, is for the child or other members of the family. It can help treat conditions such as lymphoma, leukemia, and more than 70 other diseases. In addition, it is instantly available for clinical studies on conditions such as cerebral palsy and autism.
Unlike private banking, public banking increases the diversity and number of cord blood units available. In addition, when minorities donate to public banks, the pool of blood units available in the public system expands. This makes it easier for people of all races to find matches. In other words, public cord blood banking avails stem cells to any patient who needs them.
When you donate cord blood to a public bank, you need to understand that it will go through a process of testing for both infectious disease and genetic abnormalities. Someone will notify you in case of any problems. Stem cell transplant using your own cord blood, however, is useless when it comes to treating genetic disorders. This is because your cord blood contains the mutations that cause a genetic disorder.
Due to these differences and limitations, tens of thousands of transplants using unrelated donor cord blood have taken place worldwide. In contrast, less than one thousand autologous cord blood procedures have taken place in the United States in the last 20 years. This is why the AMA and AAP recommend against using private cord blood banking as a form of a biological insurance. However, in certain situations, it might be the right choice. Therefore, you need to perform adequate research and consider your particular situation before choosing between private and public cord blood banking.
NEXT:New Blood Test Could Help Diagnose Brain Damage in Babies Hours After Birth
Sources: yourgenome.org, whattoexpect.com, webmd.com.
What Sex Therapists Want Parents To Know
I have been a writer since 2012, and have enjoyed the journey thus far. When I am not busy writing like there's no tomorrow, I enjoy spending time with my three daughters and watching Netflix.
- Trends Of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2027 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Chart, Worthington Industries,... - December 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market | Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026 - Khabar South... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Growth and Current Status of Industry Surveyed in New Research Report | (2020-2027) - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis of Key Players, Trends, Drivers - Khabar South Asia - December 1st, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 to Show Tremendous Growth || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, PerkinElmer Inc,... - December 1st, 2020
- Vitalant to Hold Blood Donation Event on December 5 in Freehold - TAPinto.net - December 1st, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market is Driven by Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Life-threatening Diseases - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- The roles bone marrow plays in the body - Therogersvillereview - November 28th, 2020
- Revenue from the Sales of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness Relatively Significant Growth During 2017 2025 - Canaan Mountain... - November 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking emerges as a lifesaver - India Education Diary - November 25th, 2020
- Septic shock and pneumonia triggered by SARS-CoV-2 could be treated by radiation-activated MSCs - News-Medical.Net - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Product Type, End User and by Region-Trends and Forecast to 2026|China Cord Blood Corp, CBR... - November 20th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends & Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 14th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Kite Pharma Inc.,... - November 14th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market size and Key Trends in terms of - News by aeresearch - November 14th, 2020
- Spinal Fusion Market Size and Forecasts Research Report 2020-2026 - TechnoWeekly - November 14th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast period 2020 2025 - Express Journal - November 11th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trends Research Report Analysis Revealing Key Drivers & Growth Trends through 2027 -... - November 11th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 10th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Emerging Trend and Advancement - News by aeresearch - November 8th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market Technological Innovations And Future Opportunities 202 - Fractovia News - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Key Development Trends, and Growth Projection to 2027 - Stock Market Vista - November 6th, 2020
- Global Biopreservation Market Will Experience A Noticeable Growth During The Forecast Period 2019-2026||BioLifeSolutions Inc., Lifeline Scientific,... - November 6th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market New Investments Expected to boost the Demand by 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 6th, 2020
- California Prop. 14: What to know about the stem cell measure - Los Angeles Times - November 4th, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Size and Growth Factors Research and Projection 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- How Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information,... - October 29th, 2020
- Thawing Equipment Market 2020 With Covid-19 Impact on Industry Share, Size, Emerging Technologies, Future Trends, Competitive Analysis | Thermo Fisher... - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Imapct On Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market : Growth, Segmentation Analysis By Application And Regions To 2025 | Chart,... - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of Top Players - News by aeresearch - October 28th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2020-2025 - Eurowire - October 28th, 2020
- Cynata looking to revolutionise stem cell therapy - The West Australian - October 28th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Systems Market: Increasing demand for stem cell transplantation along with stem cell-based therapy to drive the market - BioSpace - October 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Storage Services, Therapeutics, Application, and Region -... - October 24th, 2020
- Washington blood donors urged to help amid surge in hospital usage - Seattle PI - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 | XX% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years, Predicts Market Research Future with Market Size & Growth Key... - October 22nd, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 Regional Growth Drivers, Opportunities, Trends, and Forecasts to 2025 - News by Decresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth 2020-2026 : Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori Therapeutics - Illadel Graff Supply - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 is predicted to rise with a CAGR of XX% by 2026 | Including Growth Prospect, Market Size & Growth, Key Vendors, Top most... - October 20th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 18th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' and Celyad's CAR therapies in oncology offer potential - pharmaceutical-technology.com - October 18th, 2020
- Explained: How Indias First-Ever Saviour-Sibling Born Through ART Saved Life Of Brother With Thalassemia - Swarajya - October 17th, 2020
- Blood donors needed to keep blood supply stocked for local patients - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - October 17th, 2020
- A sister born to save ailing brother - The Hindu - October 17th, 2020
- An Indian Baby 'Savior Sibling' Just Gave Her Brother Bone Marrow. But Is It Ethical? - The Swaddle - October 17th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Industry Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive... - October 12th, 2020
- How They Voted | News | register-herald.com - Beckley Register-Herald - October 10th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Analysis of Key Vendors with Their Size, Share and Year-over-Year Growth 2027 - Press Release -... - October 10th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market to eyewitness massive growth by 2026 | Escape Therapeutics Inc., Cryo-Save AG, Regen Biopharma... - October 5th, 2020
- Global Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - October 5th, 2020
- How Maine's members of Congress voted this week - Bangor Daily News - October 5th, 2020
- UC Davis Engineers Lead $36M Effort to Improve Recovery From Spinal Cord Injuries - UC Davis - October 5th, 2020
- Congress Votes | News - The Albany Herald - October 5th, 2020
- Here's how area members of Congress voted - Mansfield News Journal - October 5th, 2020
- Bloodworks Northwest now testing all whole blood donations for COVID-19 antibodies - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - October 5th, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Cord Blood Banking Services Market 2020-2026 Major Opportunities, Key Insights and Top Companies CBR Systems, Cordlife, Stemcyte,... - September 29th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market Primary Research, Secondary Research, Product Research, Trends And Forecast By 2026- Kite Pharma Inc., Thermo... - September 29th, 2020
- North America to Continue with its leading Streak in the Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market - The Market Records - September 28th, 2020
- National Marrow Donor Program/Be The Match Urges Congress to Quickly Pass Reauthorization Bill to Protect Access to Life Saving Bone Marrow and Cord... - September 28th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market Size to grow significantly during the forecast period 2020 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market to Achieve Significant Growth in the Near Future - The Daily Chronicle - September 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2020-2027 | Leading Players Osiris Therapeutics, Medipost Co., Anterogen Co., Pharmicell... - September 18th, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2019 Global Analysis, Research, Review, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Outlook, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020-2026 - The Research Process - September 16th, 2020
- Full House and Senate should reauthorize the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program | TheHill - The Hill - September 16th, 2020
- Boy, 4, who defied the odds to twice beat leukaemia enjoys first day of school - The Sun - September 16th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness a Substantiation between 2017 and 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Study to Investigate the Use of Cell Therapy to Treat COVID-19 Related Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) - BioSpace - September 16th, 2020
- Lotus childbirth: All you need to know about the new birthing trend - Times of India - September 16th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Top Companies Growth With Top Players| Recovey From Covid 19 - TC BizNews - September 13th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive... - September 13th, 2020