THIS year has been full of scientific discoveries but some were far weirder than others.
From a part-human, part-monkey embryo to a brain blob that grows eyes, we've rounded up some of the weirdest science moments of 2021.
Back in April, it was announced that the first part-human-part-monkey embryo had been created by scientists in California despite ethical concerns.
Researchers grew human stem cells in monkey embryos to try and better understand how the cells communicate.
The controversial embryos were made at the Salk Institute in California.
They're scientifically known as monkey-human chimeras.
Human stem cells, known for their ability to become different types of cells, were injected into macaque embryos in a petri dish.
The scientists hope their work could be used to create organs for transplants and teach us more about human development and disease progression.
It was revealed in February that pigs can learn to play video games.
Four pigs called Hamlet, Omelette, Ebony and Ivory were trained to play a game using a joystick and were rewarded with food.
The researchers wrote in their scientific paper: "These results indicate that despite dexterity and visual constraints, pigs have the capacity to acquire a joystick-operated video-game task."
Back in August, a blob of human brain cells was coaxed into growing basic eyes.
The eye structures responded to light and were made up of similar tissues to what we have in our own eyes.
It's hoped the stem cell work could one day lead to a treatment for blindness.
Back in April, archaeologists announced an Ancient Egyptian city had been uncovered after 3,000 years.
Experts hailed it the most "important discovery since the tomb of Tutankhamun".
The 'Golden City of Luxor' became the the largest ancient city ever found in Egypt.
Famous Egyptologist Zahi Hawass announced that the city had been discovered near Luxor, home of the Valley of the Kings.
As well as the city streets and evidence of buildings, lots of artifacts and even skeletal remains have been discovered.
The 'Golden City of Luxor' was mentioned in ancient texts, which led many experts to try and search for it over the years.
In other news, a mother claims her daughterasked Amazon's Alexafor a "challenge" to complete and it gave her a potentially deadly suggestion.
The 'world's first' cyber brothel says it's seen a surge in clientele during the pandemic.
And, here's five of themost anticipated WhatsAppfeatures expected to drop in 2022.
The rest is here:
- Modeling uniquely human gene regulatory function via targeted humanization of the mouse genome - Nature.com - January 13th, 2022
- Stem Cells Market Size Projected to Rise Lucratively during 2017 2025 Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 9th, 2022
- As Nave as They Get - Weizmann Wonder Wander - News, Features and Discoveries - Weizmann Institute of Science - January 5th, 2022
- For species on the very brink of extinction, cloning is a loaded last resort - Mongabay.com - January 5th, 2022
- January 2022: Intramural Papers of the Month - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 3rd, 2022
- Xenobots: The Beginning of AI Robot Replication by TechAcute - Latest - TechAcute - January 3rd, 2022
- Genes 'Switched On' Much Earlier in Human Embryos Than Thought - Livermore Independent - January 2nd, 2022
- RedChIP identifies noncoding RNAs associated with genomic sites occupied by Polycomb and CTCF proteins - pnas.org - December 31st, 2021
- Weirdest scientific discoveries of 2021 including brain blob that grew eyes... - The US Sun - December 31st, 2021
- The Worldwide Culture Media Industry is Expected to Reach $13+ Billion by 2030 - GlobeNewswire - December 31st, 2021
- Postdoc Position in Stem Cell Disease Modeling job with MASARYK UNIVERSITY | 276189 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 26th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market to Witness Gigantic Growth by 2026 LSMedia - LSMedia - December 26th, 2021
- Post-doctoral Fellow on Mechanotransduction in Stem Cell Biology job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 275321 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 17th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment Improves Type 1 Diabetes in 1 Patient - Everyday Health - December 17th, 2021
- Change of gene expression profiles in human cardiomyocytes and macrophages infected with SARS-CoV-2 and its significance - DocWire News - December 17th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021: Industry Trends, Growth, Size, Segmentation, Future Demands, Latest Innovation, Sales Revenue by... - December 17th, 2021
- New pancreatic cancer immune therapy target identified - BioWorld Online - December 17th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market valued at $200 million is expected to witness a healthy growth of 17% Disruptive Medical Therapy of the Future -... - December 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market valued at $200 million is expected to witness a healthy growth of 17% - GlobeNewswire - December 15th, 2021
- Regrowing limbs using CRISPR? It's been done with lizards, with hopes that human limb regeneration will be possible in the future - Genetic Literacy... - December 15th, 2021
- Study of the Diffusion Tensor Imaging for Preclinical Tensor | IJGM - Dove Medical Press - December 15th, 2021
- Missing Genetic Switch at the Origin of Malformations During Embryonic Development - SciTechDaily - December 15th, 2021
- Scientists invent first self-reproducing ROBOTS just like in the Matrix... - The US Sun - December 15th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market CAGR of 25.6% Research Report 2021 Industry Share-Size Estimate, Consumption Analysis by Applications, Future Demand, Top Leading... - December 15th, 2021
- Homogeneous antibody and CAR-T cells with improved effector functions targeting SSEA-4 glycan on pancreatic cancer - pnas.org - December 9th, 2021
- In Embryonic Stem Cells, Genes Link Pluripotency and Ease ... - December 7th, 2021
- First person cured of type 1 diabetes thanks to stem cells - Freethink - December 7th, 2021
- How Canadian researchers are using stem cell advances to transform medicine - The Globe and Mail - December 3rd, 2021
- Scientists Build First Living Robots That Can Reproduce - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - November 30th, 2021
- Stamping Bar Codes on Cells to Solve Medical Mysteries - The New York Times - November 30th, 2021
- Functional and structural phenotyping of cardiomyocytes in the 3D organization of embryoid bodies exposed to arsenic trioxide | Scientific Reports -... - November 30th, 2021
- miRNAs in brain cancer therapy Mighty things from small beginnings grow - Open Access Government - November 30th, 2021
- How will Stem Cells change the future of Medicine? - Haayed A, Wilson's School - This is Local London - November 28th, 2021
- A Cure for Type 1 Diabetes? For One Man, It Seems to Have Worked. - The New York Times - November 28th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Production Market to grow by USD 1.55 billion|Evolving Opportunities with Applied StemCell Inc. & Axol Biosciences... - November 27th, 2021
- Studies Reveal Designs of Nucleus and DNA - Discovery Institute - November 24th, 2021
- Funding the Future: Embryonic Stem Cell Research | Almost ... - November 22nd, 2021
- From asthma to cancer to infertility, the new treatments, jabs and meds making us healthier... - The Sun - November 22nd, 2021
- Identification of downstream effectors of retinoic acid specifying the zebrafish pancreas by integrative genomics | Scientific Reports - Nature.com - November 22nd, 2021
- Researchers use embryonic stem cell model to study genetic architecture in the hypothalamus - News-Medical.net - November 22nd, 2021
- Examining the ethics of embryonic stem cell research ... - November 22nd, 2021
- Dr Pengyi Yang wins National Stem Cell Foundation Metcalf Prize - News - The University of Sydney - November 16th, 2021
- What Are New Medical Solutions That Can Help Treat Patients? - iLounge - November 16th, 2021
- Bridging the gap between online and on campus - ASU Now - November 16th, 2021
- SC21- 21st century cellular medicines specialists - The Thaiger - November 16th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market Development, Growth, Trends, Demand, Share, Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 15th, 2021
- Harvard scientists show transgenesis in three-banded panther worm - Harvard Gazette - November 13th, 2021
- Dispatches from SfN 2021: Mitochondria, Rett therapy and oxytocin | Spectrum | Autism Research News - Spectrum - November 13th, 2021
- Harvard scientists take the study of regeneration to the next level by making three-banded panther worms transgenic - EurekAlert - November 9th, 2021
- Stem cell laws - Wikipedia - November 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Technologies Market is projected to be worth US$ 21.03 Billion by 2031: Visiongain Research Inc - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- In The Heights | Synapse - Synapse - October 26th, 2021
- OpRegen Data Update to Be Featured at 2021 American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting in Presentation by Michael S. Ip, M.D. - Business Wire - October 26th, 2021
- UT Southwestern Team Awarded $8.8M to Participate in Genomic Variation Consortium Dallas Innovates - dallasinnovates.com - October 26th, 2021
- Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts - October 25th, 2021
- Male infertility may be cured with monkey cells replacing sperm, study reveals - Daily Star - October 25th, 2021
- What are the different kinds of stem cells? | American for ... - October 25th, 2021
- Advances in the DNA methylation hydroxylase TET1 - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- 2020 outlook: Aim global, earn for life (3) The Nation Newspaper - The Nation Newspaper - October 15th, 2021
- Lil Nas X Says He Wants to Clone Himself and Have Sex With the Copy - Futurism - October 9th, 2021
- NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn't happen this week - Associated Press - October 9th, 2021
- MicroRNAs in Human Embryonic and Cancer Stem Cells - October 7th, 2021
- Global Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report By Share, Size, Top Key Players, Drivers And Forecast To 2027||Caladrius, Athersys Inc.,... - October 7th, 2021
- Chronic Diseases Will Have Positive Impact On Demand Of Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market - Digital Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cells may be the key to saving white rhinos from extinction - Sciworthy - September 29th, 2021
- Dont Count On Woolly Mammoths To Save The Planet - WBUR - September 29th, 2021
- Effects of berberine on the chondrogenic differentiation | JIR - Dove Medical Press - September 29th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report 2025 - Northwest Diamond Notes - September 29th, 2021
- Using a mini heart model to develop new therapies - MSUToday - September 25th, 2021
- Nuclear receptor NR5A2 negatively regulates cell proliferation and tumor growth in nervous system malignancies - pnas.org - September 25th, 2021
- From the archives: As Sherwood Boehlert exits Congress, there are precious few to fill his shoes, and some ar - syracuse.com - September 22nd, 2021
- Future Scope of Stem Cell Manufacturing Market | Estimated to Grow CAGR Rapidly | Foreseen till 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - September 18th, 2021
- Creation of three new northern white rhinos embryos may indicate hope for other rhino species - Mongabay.com - September 17th, 2021
- Jurassic Park revisited? Effort to revive woolly mammoths gets huge boost - WION - September 14th, 2021
- Something to remember on 9/11 anniversary | Thebrightonblade.com - Brighton Standard-Blade - September 12th, 2021
- Police need help identifying 6 bodies at funeral home as origin of 50 fetuses is discovered - KSL.com - September 12th, 2021
- Autism research makes the leap to frogs | Spectrum - Spectrum - September 8th, 2021
- Growth-Promoting, Anti-Aging Chemical Compound at the Root of Plant Growth and Animal Embryos - SciTechDaily - September 8th, 2021
- Billionaires Bezos and Milner want to reverse aging - Fudzilla - September 7th, 2021
- Chronic Diseases Is Expected To Have Positive Impact On Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Deman - PharmiWeb.com - September 4th, 2021