Vitamin P is a term that was once used for a group of plant compounds called flavonoids. However, these compounds are not actually vitamins.
There are several types of flavonoids found in fruits, vegetables, tea, cocoa, and wine. They give certain foods their color, provide plants with protection from ultraviolet (UV) rays and infection, and may offer health benefits (1).
This article provides an overview of vitamin P, including info on the different categories of flavonoids, food sources, and possible benefits.
Flavonoids, also known as bioflavonoids, are a family of polyphenol plant compounds with six subclasses. There are currently over 6,000 known flavonoids (2).
When first extracted from an orange by scientists in 1930, they were thought to be a new type of vitamin and, therefore, named vitamin P. This name is no longer used, as flavonoids are not vitamins (1).
Flavonoids exist in plants to help prevent infection, protect against the sun and environmental stresses, and attract insects for pollination. Theyre also responsible for the color of many deep-colored fruits and vegetables, such as berries, cherries, and tomatoes (1).
Here are the major classes of flavonoids and their food sources:
The major classes of flavonoids include flavonols, flavones, flavanols, flavanones, isoflavones, and anthocyanidins. Different types of flavonoids are abundant in fruits, vegetables, red wine, cocoa, and teas.
Flavonoids are thought to offer a variety of health benefits and help prevent heart disease, diabetes, and other diseases.
Perhaps the best-studied function of flavonoids is their ability to act as antioxidants. They have been shown to reduce the formation of reactive molecules called free radicals, which can lead to cell damage and disease (1, 3).
Most research on the benefits of flavonoids has been conducted in test tubes. Thus, the activity of flavonoids in the body is not well understood.
In fact, its generally thought that theyre poorly absorbed and not very bioavailable.
For one, it appears that your metabolism largely influences the bioavailability of flavonoids in your body. They may also be rapidly excreted (4, 5).
When flavonoids are consumed, theyre broken down into compounds called metabolites. Some of these metabolites may exhibit properties similar to those of the flavonoid from which they were derived, but others do not (4, 5).
Whats more, studies suggest that whether flavonoids are consumed with carbs, proteins, or fats can affect their bioavailability and absorption. These factors are also affected by the composition of your gut bacteria (6, 7).
Thus, its difficult to determine how and whether a particular flavonoid affects human health.
While limitations exist, some human studies suggest that flavonoids have possible health benefits.
Below are some of those benefits, many of which stem from their antioxidant activity, as well as other mechanisms that are not fully understood:
While results from some observational studies suggest that flavonoids may help protect against disease, more extensive research is needed to fully understand how flavonoids affect human health.
Furthermore, this article highlights just a few of the possible health benefits of flavonoids. A growing body of research is examining the functions of flavonoids, as well as the specific classes of flavonoids.
Flavonoids are thought to offer a number of health benefits, but most research has been conducted in test tubes. Some observational studies in humans suggest that they may boost brain health and decrease the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Currently, there is no Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) for flavonoids, as theyre not considered essential for human development. A diet rich in healthy, whole foods will naturally contain flavonoids and contribute to good health (11).
Therefore, supplemental versions are unnecessary, but they do exist. Some of the most common flavonoid supplements include quercetin, flavonoid complexes, and rutin (12).
Theres no standardized dosage for flavonoid supplements, and each kind may have specific instructions for its use. The side effects and potential dangers of many of these supplements are unknown.
Experts warn that while theres no risk of toxicity from the amount of flavonoids commonly consumed through food, there may be risks associated with high dose supplements (11).
High doses of flavonoids may negatively affect thyroid function, interact with medications, and affect levels of other nutrients in your body (12).
Whats more, supplements are not tightly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and, therefore, can be contaminated or contain amounts of flavonoids that differ from whats reported on their labels.
Finally, many research studies have shown that eating whole foods that contain certain nutrients offer greater benefits than their supplement-form counterparts.
If you want to try a supplement, consult your healthcare provider, especially if youre pregnant or breastfeeding.
Flavonoids are widely available in foods, but supplements are available. These supplements are not regulated and may have unknown harmful side effects. Always consult a healthcare provider before trying one.
Flavonoids, once known as vitamin P, are a large class of plant compounds found in deeply colored fruits, vegetables, cocoa, tea, and wine.
Studies suggest that they act as antioxidants and may help protect against chronic diseases. However, the beneficial effects of flavonoids in the human body may be limited by metabolism and other factors.
To reap the possible benefits of flavonoids, eat a variety of plant foods. Supplements are also available, but they should only be taken after consulting a healthcare provider, as their effects are not well understood.
Eating a variety of whole foods that are good sources of flavonoids is likely more beneficial to your overall health.
- Top Benefits of Stem Cell Therapy Know Your Health - September 26th, 2020
- 10 Benefits of a Stem Cell Treatment | Advanced Sports ... - September 26th, 2020
- New Data Highlights BeyondSpring's Plinabulin as a Highly Effective Agent for Preventing Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia, with Potential to Reduce... - September 26th, 2020
- Virtual Castellvi Spine Week 2: Living Cells and Therapies - https://ryortho.com/ - September 26th, 2020
- Get Up to Speed On the State of Eco-Fashion - NEO.LIFE - September 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Culture Market and Technology Forecast 2020-2028 - Global Market Forecast to Reach USD 48 Billion for 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 24th, 2020
- Advances in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma are Greatly Improving the Long-Term Outlook for Patients - Curetoday.com - September 24th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market is Anticipate to Reach at a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - September 24th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Announce Priority Medicines (PRIME) Designation Granted by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to... - September 24th, 2020
- Lab-grown meat: The promising alternative that may be years away from appearing on dinner plates - PitchBook News & Analysis - September 24th, 2020
- Bioprinted therapeutic offers novel solution for treating Type 1 Diabetes - Canada NewsWire - September 24th, 2020
- Yulong to List its Securitized Token on CryptoSX - BioSpace - September 24th, 2020
- 10 Top Stem Cell Companies on the NASDAQ | INN - Investing News Network - September 22nd, 2020
- The Anti-aging Benefits of Using Growth Factors Plus Retinol - Coveteur - September 22nd, 2020
- Alexion Receives CHMP Positive Opinion for New Advanced Formulation of ULTOMIRIS (ravulizumab) with Significantly Reduced Infusion Time - Business... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why Celebs and Athletes Are Embracing Blood Flow Restriction Training - menshealth.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Yulong to Issue the Worlds' First Biotech Securitized Token Offering - StreetInsider.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Market trends and outlook coupled with factors driving and restraining the growth of the CRISPR Genome Editing market - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID is shifting the conversation about the medical application of CBD - Open Access Government - September 22nd, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Reduced the Risk of Distant Metastasis or Death by 40% Versus Placebo as Adjuvant Treatment in Resected, High-Risk... - September 22nd, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy by Dr. Roshni Patel on Better CT - Farmington, CT - Patch.com - September 20th, 2020
- Four-Year Data Continue to Show Superior, Long-Term Survival Benefit with Opdivo (nivolumab) Plus Yervoy (ipilimumab) in Patients with Previously... - September 20th, 2020
- The Top 10 Biotech Companies Brewing at... - Labiotech.eu - September 18th, 2020
- CRISPR Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2020-2027 | Leading Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Editas Medicine, Caribou Biosciences, CRISPR... - September 18th, 2020
- Case 29-2020: A 66-Year-Old Man with Fever and Shortness of Breath after Liver Transplantation - nejm.org - September 18th, 2020
- Frequency Therapeutics Presents Results Demonstrating Sustained Improvement in Hearing Loss Patients Treated with FX-322 - Business Wire - September 18th, 2020
- Faulty exon splicing is cause of rare subtype of Parkinson's disease, pointing to new drug targets - BioWorld Online - September 15th, 2020
- Treating dogs diagnosed with GBM, getting Swedish patients back to work, orphan designation for improved radiotherapy drug plus gene therapy - Brain... - September 13th, 2020
- Histogen Announces Completion of Dosing Milestone in its 1b/2a Trial for Androgenic Alopecia in Men - StreetInsider.com - September 13th, 2020
- BeyondSpring (BYSI) Receives Breakthrough Therapy Designations from Both US FDA and China NMPA for Plinabulin in Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia... - September 8th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Impact of COVID-19 on Industry | Key Players: Kite Pharma... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Im Optimistic That We Will Have a COVID-19 Vaccine Soon - The Atlantic - August 31st, 2020
- Health insurance with maternity cover: All you need to know about features and inclusions - CNBCTV18 - August 31st, 2020
- Emerging Treatment Options of Regenerative Medicine in Severe Corona Virus/COVID 19 Infections - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma Announces Positive Data for Its Lead Microbiome Biotherapeutic MaaT013 in Intestinal Acute Graft-versus-Host-Disease at the Virtual 46th... - August 31st, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020-2026 is Growing So Rapidly || Leading Players THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United... - August 20th, 2020
- Inside the race to ditch formula and grow breast milk in the lab - Wired.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Rising Demand and Growth Opportunity - Owned - August 20th, 2020
- Health Spotlight: Have You Heard Of Dr. Jeffrey Tucker? - LATF USA - August 20th, 2020
- Viruses have big impacts on ecology and evolution as well as human health - The Economist - August 20th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) in Combination With Chemotherapy Significantly Improved Overall Survival and Progression-Free Survival Compared With... - August 20th, 2020
- Umbilical cord blood banking: Is it worth it? - mtltimes.ca - August 19th, 2020
- G1 Therapeutics Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of NDA for Trilaciclib for Patients with Small Cell Lung Cancer - GlobeNewswire - August 19th, 2020
- A question of scale the growing pains of cell-based meat - just-food.com - August 19th, 2020
- What do we need to know about our bone health during this pandemic - Times of India - August 19th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire India - August 19th, 2020
- Cellect Biotechnology Ltd ADR (NASDAQ:APOP) Receives an Approval of a Pivotal Patent for Stem Cells Activation from the European Patent Office - BP... - August 13th, 2020
- A rapid, sensitive, and reproducible in vivo PBMC humanized murine model for determining therapeuticrelated cytokine release syndrome - Wiley - August 13th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry Market 2020 Explain What is the current size of the market? And key players analysis: Athersys,... - August 13th, 2020
- Dr. Park on the Benefits of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in ALL - OncLive - August 11th, 2020
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES : Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 11th, 2020
- Trumps Unprecedented Attacks on Our Public-Health System - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - PharmiWeb.com - August 11th, 2020
- The NIU BODY Rebrand: millennials have grown up and so has their skin care - CosmeticsDesign.com USA - August 11th, 2020
- Embryos could be susceptible to COVID-19 from second week of pregnancy - Gulf News - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis - The New York Times - August 9th, 2020
- How to live longer: The health drink that reduces risk of Alzheimers and boosts longevity - Express - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Research Report on Cell Theraputics Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 5th, 2020
- Pediatrics in Brevard: Nothing beats the benefits of breastmilk for newborns - Florida Today - August 5th, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 5th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2027 - CueReport - August 5th, 2020
- FDA hands MorphoSys and Incyte a quick OK on their potential blockbuster CAR-T alternative - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Fighting for a life unlimited with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust - Health Europa - August 5th, 2020
- World Breastfeeding Week 2020: The Benefits Of Breastfeeding For Mother And Baby - News18 - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market to grow significantly in future | Worthington Industries,Cesca Therapeutics,Shengjie Cryogenic Equipment... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Synthetic Stem Cells Market Report 2020-2026 Research Insights 2020 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed... - July 30th, 2020
- World's First Plant and Cell Based Bacon and Pork Belly - One Green Planet - July 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves New CAR-T Therapy for Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 26th, 2020
- Of mice and SARS-CoV-2 - The Hindu - July 26th, 2020
- Ruxolitinib passes another PhIII test for graft-versus-host disease, a win for Incyte and Novartis - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Harvard study finds that stem cell stimulation gives us goosebumps - New Atlas - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 24th, 2020
- Bioreactors Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Product Class, Material, Cell ; Molecule ; Technology ; End User, and... - July 24th, 2020
- Association of TNF- Gene Expression and Release in Response to | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - July 24th, 2020
- 'Missing link': Bayer, Morningside help catapult a new kind of delivery tech to cell and gene therapy - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Regulation of advanced therapy medicinal products in the EU - Regulatory Focus - July 18th, 2020