Republican U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia was one of just two House members to vote last week against a bill reauthorizing initiatives that proponents say aid sick Americans with leukemia and other potentially deadly blood diseases through umbilical cord blood stem cell and bone marrow programs.
The House approved the TRANSPLANT Act on a 415-2 vote with U.S. Rep. Laura Boebert, R-Colorado, joining Greene in voting no.
"Last night, Congress passed a bill which is not clear about preventing buying of body parts of babies murdered in the womb," Greene, a conservative firebrand, tweeted on Friday. "I voted NO."
Greene spokesman Nick Dyer said "nothing in this bill prevents the funding of aborted fetal tissue by taxpayers. It opens the door for the [National Institutes of Health] to use this bill to research the remains of babies who were murdered in the womb. Congresswoman Greene will always vote 100% Pro-Life."
Efforts to reach a Boebert spokesperson Friday were unsuccessful. Newsweek quoted the Colorado lawmaker saying "this bill added hundreds of millions of dollars to the national debt, while not receiving a CBO [Congressional Budget Office] score or going through the committee process."
Twelve other House Republicans abstained from voting on the bill.
All seven of Tennessee's Republican congressional members as well as the two Democrats voted for the measure, House Resolution 941, according to House roll call tallies. Excluding Greene, Georgia's other six Republican representatives and six Democratic members voted yes.
Among those voting yes were two Republican Tennessee representatives who are physicians, Scott DesJarlais of Sherwood and Mark Green of Portland.
"H.R. 941 will aid in the advancement of adult stem cell technology to create new lifesaving treatments, which is why Congressman DesJarlais was one of 415 members of Congress to vote in its passage," said Alex Swisher, a DesJarlais spokesperson, explaining why the congressman voted for the TRANSPLANT Act.
Efforts to reach Greene for further comment were unsuccessful.
U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Florida, a bill cosponsor, stated following the vote the program "provides critical support in the advancement of research for better treatments and the infrastructure necessary to organize registries which help ensure transplant patients have access to life-saving procedures."
Among those championing the legislation was U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-New Jersey, who in a House floor speech later posted on the National Right to Life website noted the measure includes the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act, which he began championing in 2001, as well as the National Marrow Donor Program.
He said the National Marrow Donor Program/Be The Match has "facilitated more than 105,000 transplants. According to Be the Match, more than 40,000 patients have received cord blood transplants."
Smith, whose office did not return a Times Free Press call on Friday, said umbilical cord blood stem cells, "obtained after the birth of a child, have proved highly efficacious in treating 70 diseases, including sickle-cell disease, lymphoma, and leukemia."
Noting millions of babies are born annually in the U.S., Smith said in the past "virtually every placenta and umbilical cord was tossed as medical waste. Today, doctors have turned this medical waste into medical miracles."
The bill's lead House sponsor, Rep. Doris Matsui, D-California, said in a statement following the measure's passage that "every three minutes, someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. For patients and families facing these fatal diseases, a bone marrow or cord blood transplant may be the best treatment or only potential for a cure."
Matsui's office did not respond Friday to a reporter's call.
U.S. Sens. Jack Reed, R-Rhode Island, and Richard Burr, R-North Carolina, are sponsoring S.288, the Senate's version of the bill.
Contact Andy Sher at email@example.com or 614-255-0550. Follow him on Twitter @AndySher1.
See original here:
- World's First Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Pool Banking - June 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood and Tissue Banking | New England Cord Blood Bank - June 24th, 2021
- List of FDA Approved Stem Cell Treatments - Cord For Life - June 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking | UK Stem Cell Bank | Biovault Family - June 24th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Canada & Stem Cells Storage ... - June 24th, 2021
- stem cells - SlideShare - June 24th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Announces Publication in Blood, the Journal of the American Society of Hematology, of the First Pivotal Trial to Evaluate a Cell Therapy... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market 2021 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - June 24th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - WFMZ... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Status, Business Trends, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecasts To 2028||Cryo-Cell International,... - June 20th, 2021
- Global $15.52 Bn Cell Isolation (Human Cells and Animal Cells) - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- Stem Cells in the Treatment of Diabetes | Cryo-Cell - June 16th, 2021
- Uses & Importance of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells | NECBB - June 16th, 2021
- Cord blood stem cells: a review of potential neurological ... - June 16th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Medical Society - June 16th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Set to Grow with Massive CAGR by 2028. Major Players Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - June 16th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Report Provides An In-Depth Insight Of Demand And Trends Forecast To 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 14th, 2021
- What Are Stem Cells and Why Are They Important? - News & Features - June 13th, 2021
- Simone Anderson cleared by ASA over cord blood post but accused of deleting negative comments - New Zealand Herald - June 13th, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2028 The Manomet Current... - June 13th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 9th, 2021
- Global Analysis of Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Size 2021-2026 By Industry Demand, Growth Share and Competitive Landscape Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 9th, 2021
- MedShadow Foundation Reports on Two Decades of Research and Regulation of Stem Cell Therapy - PRUnderground - May 30th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Research Report Including SWOT Analysis, PESTELE Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Global Industry Outlook and Key Players Analysis By... - May 26th, 2021
- What is lab grown meat? A scientist explains the taste, production and safety of artificial foods - BBC Focus Magazine - May 26th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021: Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends and Forecasts 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 26th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Revenue, Size Industry Statistics, Share, Analysis and Global Research Report, 2020-2027 The Courier - The Courier - May 22nd, 2021
- AB-205 Shows Promise in Patients With Systemic Lymphoma Undergoing HDT-ASCT - Targeted Oncology - May 22nd, 2021
- Research on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Key Data Points Necessary for Effective Strategies | Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - May 20th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.9% by 2025 - Market Primes - May 20th, 2021
- Amazon in talks to buy MGM movie studio - The Information - Yahoo Finance UK - May 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Revenue, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Trends and Demand by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 20th, 2021
- Swab To Save a Life event to be held at Berlin Boro Hall - nj.com - May 20th, 2021
- Caribou Biosciences Announces Appointment of Katy Rezvani, M.D., Ph.D. and Christopher Sturgeon, Ph.D. to its Scientific Advisory Board - Business... - May 20th, 2021
- Repeated infusion of mesenchymal stem cells maintain the condition to inhibit deteriorated motor function, leading to an extended lifespan in the... - May 10th, 2021
- Smart Immune Announces FDA Orphan Drug Status, IND Acceptance and Fast-Track Designation to Commence Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of Proprietary... - May 10th, 2021
- Nathaniel's family have just three days to raise 150,000 for life-saving operation - Mirror Online - May 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Becoming a Common Treatment for Medical Diseases, Disorders and Traumas - Flagstaff Business News - May 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Type (Allogeneic Stem Cell, Autologous Stem Cell), By Application (Autoimmune Diseases, Immunodeficiencies,... - May 5th, 2021
- Our first child is due, and Im already in the clutches of the baby-industrial complex - The Guardian - May 5th, 2021
- Scientists identify small-molecule cocktail to improve stem cell use in research and disease treatments - National Institutes of Health - May 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - May 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Research Report By Scope, Size, Share, Drivers, Restraints, Key Players and Forecasts KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - May 5th, 2021
- Celebrate Mother's Day With the Gift of Life-Saving Cord Blood Donation - GlobeNewswire - May 2nd, 2021
- Key Trends of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021 Business Opportunities, Market Dynamics, Growth Size and Forecasts to 2026 - Clark... - May 2nd, 2021
- The Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market To Get Re-Energized By The Global The Courier - The Courier - April 24th, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from elective abortion called 'deeply offensive' - TheCatholicSpirit.com : TheCatholicSpirit.com - The Catholic Spirit - April 24th, 2021
- Blood Donors needed, as local blood supply faces 'Perfect Storm' - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - April 16th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment needed to fight the good fight - Victoria Lookout - April 16th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - Marketscreener.com - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027 : Becton, Dickinson and Company, DomaniCell, LLC, Future Health... - April 14th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Booming CAGR +10% by 2028|| Osiris Therapeutics, Athersys, Opexa Therapeutics, NeoStem, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem... - April 14th, 2021
- Cidara Therapeutics to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Vincerx Pharma To Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on Bioconjugation and CDK9 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Hematologic and Solid Tumors - April 8th, 2021
- Cabaletta Bio to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Arch Oncology Appoints Laurence Blumberg, M.D. President and CEO - April 8th, 2021
- X4 Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Immutep Announces European Patent Grant For LAG525 Antibody In Combination Therapy - April 8th, 2021
- Cannalogue Expands Compassionate Care Program to Provide Lowest Medical Cannabis Price in Canada - April 8th, 2021
- Allena Pharmaceuticals Appoints Mark J. Fitzpatrick to its Board of Directors - April 8th, 2021
- Fortress Biotech to Participate in the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Chinook Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 2 AFFINITY Basket Study of Atrasentan in Proteinuric Glomerular Diseases - April 8th, 2021
- Rhythm Pharmaceuticals to Present at 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- NKGen Biotech Announces Appointment of Philip Moody as Chief Financial Officer - April 8th, 2021
- CorMedix Inc. to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Innovation Pharma Announces Brilacidin Abstract Accepted for Oral Presentation at the American Society for Virology’s Annual Meeting - April 8th, 2021
- AIM ImmunoTech Announces Positive Safety Data in First Cohort of Phase 1 Clinical Study Investigating Intranasal Administration of Ampligen as a... - April 8th, 2021
- Cullinan Oncology, Inc. to Participate in the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- Advanced... - April 6th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell... - April 6th, 2021
- 25 Children with Autism Treated with Cord Blood: How Efficient is the Treatment? - Science Times - April 6th, 2021
- Latest Trending Report on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori Therapeutics, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 3rd, 2021
- The Governments Watchful Eye on Fraud Stemming from Stem Cell Therapy - JD Supra - April 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021 Analysis, Growth By Top Companies with Forecast 2025 : CBR Systems, ThermoGenesis, China Cord... - April 1st, 2021
- Why Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market will be in Trend in Coming Period? Top Key Players- CBR Systems, China Cord Blood Corporation,... - April 1st, 2021
- Global Cell Isolation Market Sales Scenario of to Stay Positive Through 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 1st, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top... - April 1st, 2021