BORDEAUX, France, Sept. 13, 2021 /PRNewswire/ --TreeFrog Therapeutics, a privately heldFrench-based biotech startup focused on developing safe and affordable stem cell-derived cell therapies for millions of patients, today announced the successful closing of a $75 million (64M) Series B financing round, bringing the total funding to date to $83 million (70M). The financing round was led by Bpifrance Large Venture, part of the French Public Investment Bank, joined by U.S. investment firm Leonard Green & PartnersL.P., global pharmaceutical companyBristol Myers Squibb, and European venture capital teamXAnge.In conjunction with the financing, independent board member Frederic Desdouits, PhD, has been appointed chief executive officer. It was also announced that Kevin Alessandri, PhD, co-founder, will relocate in early 2022 to Boston, MA, to lead the newly created U.S. subsidiary, TreeFrog Therapeutics Inc.
The latest funding round will be used to deploy biomimetic C-StemTM technology for clinical-grade manufacturing, grow and advance to the clinic a comprehensive pipeline of cell therapies, and finance the opening of technological hubs in Boston, MA, and Kobe, Japan.
C-StemTM offers unprecedented scale and quality, enabling the exponential growth of human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSC) and their differentiation into ready-to-transplant microtissues in industrial bioreactors. Preliminary results, recently presented at the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapyand International Society for Stem Cell Researchannual meetings, suggest C-StemTM is the only technology capable of maintaining genomic integrity through large-scale hiPSC expansion. Based on best-in-class preclinical results in Parkinson's disease, TreeFrog Therapeutics is preparing for a first-in-human trial in 2024, and intends to expand its pipeline of cell therapies through in-house programs and partnerships.
"With this Series B and the arrival of Frederic, TreeFrog Therapeutics enters a new dimension. Frederic brings in over 25 years of experience in managing fast-growing teams in biotech and pharma companies, both in France and in the U.S. We are now supported by investors with several billion dollars under management, as well as by a top-ten pharmaceutical company that successfully pioneered CAR-T cell therapies," said Kevin Alessandri, PhD, co-founder and executive vice president USA, TreeFrog Therapeutics. "In short, funding, management and governance are now secured, as we embark on a very exciting journey, with the deployment of technological hubs in Kobe, Japan, and Boston, MA, and the prospect of treating our first patients in 2024."
An independent board member of TreeFrog Therapeutics since 2020, Dr. Desdouits joins the company as CEO, after several years as CEO of PCAS, a Euronext Paris listed company, and managing director at Seqens CDMO, a world leader in small molecules manufacturing. Previously, Dr. Desdouits was executive vice president, Corporate Licensing, Acquisition and Market Intelligence, and director of U.S. Pharmaceuticals, Pierre Fabre Group. Dr. Desdouits also co-founded and served as managing partner at Bionest Partners, a consulting and transaction boutique specialized in healthcare and biotechnology.
"In just two years and, with only $7M in Series A funding, the TreeFrog Therapeutics team transitioned C-StemTM from the bench to an industrial technology applicable to any cell therapy. We demonstrated that C-StemTM outperforms all existing technologies for pluripotent stem cell expansion in terms of scale and quality. We also confirmed best-in-class preclinical data for our cell therapy program for Parkinson's disease," said new CEO, Frederic Desdouits, PhD. "The Series B financing allows us to dramatically increase our capacities and investments in research and development, to consolidate a pipeline of iPS-derived cell therapies targeting neurodegeneration, cardiac and metabolic disorders, as well as blood and immune-related diseases. Through therapeutic and technological partnerships, we intend to drive the adoption of C-StemTM by top biopharmaceutical players, so that we can bring the benefits of the technology, in terms of safety, efficacy and cost, to as many patients as possible."
"The progress made by the company since its inception is truly amazing. In less than three years, TreeFrog Therapeutics has managed to build a world-leading technology suite for large-scale stem cell manufacturing, with the clear ambition to unlock the potential of cell therapies at an industry level and bring regenerative medicine products to the patients faster. We are excited to lead this round and team up with such an impressive management team and investors' pool," said Laurent Higueret, PharmD, Senior Investment Director, Bpifrance Large Venture.
"We are pleased to support TreeFrog Therapeutics in its mission to develop and expand the application for cell therapies. TreeFrog has made tremendous progress in developing C-StemTM and overcoming many of the bottlenecks in the manufacturing of induced pluripotent stem cells, that will substantially enhance the ability to manufacture cell therapies at scale. We are honored to partner with Kevin, Maxime and Frederic, and a leading group of investors to help accelerate TreeFrog's success," said Peter Zippelius, Partner, Leonard Green & Partners.
"We are excited to welcome Frederic to his new role at TreeFrog and thrilled to be part of this new board. Starting in 2019, TreeFrog had a breakthrough technology and a clear industrial vision to bring cell therapy to all. But more importantly, over the past two years, the team demonstrated outstanding execution capacities. We are confident that TreeFrog is going to drive a paradigm shift in cell therapy, as it becomes a more integrated player with an impact at every stage of the value chain," said Guilhem de Vregille, Partner, Xange (Siparex Group).
As part of the Series B financing, Laurent Higueret (Bpifrance Large Venture) and Peter Zippelius (Leonard Green & Partners) will join the board, while Girish Pendse (BristolMyers Squibb) will join the board as observer. The board will be chaired by Jean-Luc Treillou (co-founder).
Watch corporate videoDownload pictures (captions included), Credits: TreeFrog Therapeutics
About TreeFrog TherapeuticsTreeFrog Therapeutics is a startup company aiming to provide access to cell therapies for millions of patients. TreeFrog Therapeutics has developed C-StemTM, a high-throughput cell encapsulation technology allowing for the mass-production and differentiation of stem cells in industrial bioreactors. This proprietary technology platform provides an end-to-end and scalable solution that dramatically improves the quality of therapeutic cells and reduce production costs.
Since its incorporation in November 2018 in Bordeaux, France, TreeFrog Therapeutics has experienced strong acceleration, raising over 10M ($11.7M) in 2019. In January 2020, TreeFrog Therapeutics joined the FrenchTech120, an elite program for the fastest-growing technology companies in France. The teamcurrently 50+ employeesmoved into a brand-new production facility of 13,000 square foot in June 2020. In October 2020, TreeFrog Therapeutics was awarded the Prix Galien MedStartup in New York for its international consortium on iPSC quality with the Harvard Stem Cell Institute in Boston (USA), the FRBI in Kobe (Japan) and the Imagine Institute in Paris (France). In April 2021, TreeFrog announced a world's first, with the production of a single batch of 15 billion pluripotent stem cells in a 10L bioreactor, with an unprecedented amplification factor of 276x in 6.59 days. Results were confirmed to be highly reproducible, and company reported exceptional cell quality at the 2021 ISSCR annual meeting.www.treefrog.fr
About Bpifrance Large Venture Bpifrance the French Public Investment Bank is a one-stop-shop offering local entrepreneurs a comprehensive range of financial products and services, including among others equity, loans, guarantees, export insurances as well as consultancy or training.
Large Venture the growth equity arm of Bpifrance is a $2 billion fund focusing on fast-growing, highly innovative, and capital-intensive startups looking to accelerate organic or external growth. Large Venture has invested in more than 55 companies since 2013 and focuses on life sciences, digital as well as green tech.www.bpifrance.fr
About Leonard Green & PartnersLGP is a leading private equity investment firm founded in 1989 and based in Los Angeles with over $50 billion of assets under management. The firm partners with experienced management teams and often with founders to invest in market-leading companies. Since inception, LGP has invested in over 100 companies in the form of traditional buyouts, going-private transactions, recapitalizations, growth equity, and selective public equity and debt positions. The firm primarily focuses on companies providing services, including consumer, business and healthcare services, as well as retail, distribution and industrials.www.leonardgreen.com
About XAngeXAnge is an early-stage investment fund based in Paris and Munich, with 500 million under management. Its investment team supports European entrepreneurs whose aim is to change everyday life through technology, by investing amounts from ranging from 500,000 to 10 million from the seed-funding stage. With an investment policy focused on making technology available to the widest possible audience, XAnge invests in the deep-tech, healthcare, fintech, SaaS and e-commerce sectors.
For example, XAnge has invested in Lydia (Finance), Welcome to the Jungle (Human Resources), Believe (Music), MrSpex (eCommerce) and Ledger (cryptocurrencies). XAnge is the innovation brand of the Siparex Group.www.xange.fr
Company advisors:Legal et corporate: Altar Avocats (Sbastien Pronne, Aude Idris, Quentin Laurent) JonesDay (Charles GAVOTY, Anne KERNEUR)IP: Aquinov (Julie Cenatiempo)Statutoryaudit: Ernst & Young (Pauline Souquet, Jean-Pierre Caton)Accounting: Audeca (Theodoros Sotiroulis, Josselin Danier)
SOURCE TreeFrog Therapeutics
Follow this link:
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 17th, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - EurekAlert - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021
- Nic Chapman: my MS battle and the treatment that's given me hope - The Times - October 17th, 2021
- Dream Body Clinic Stem Cell Therapy Stem Cells HGH - October 13th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells - October 13th, 2021
- 3D printing: Healthcare insiders' view on the tech - Verdict - October 13th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Stem Cell Supplement Brands - Healthtrends - October 13th, 2021
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase overexpression and low oxygen conditioning hormesis improve the performance of irradiated sterile males |... - October 13th, 2021
- Researchers uncover how cancer cells use sugar residue to evade the immune system - News-Medical.net - October 13th, 2021
- The science and practicality of cultured meat The Stute - The Stute - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Le - Benzinga - October 11th, 2021
- Want To Support Healthy Bones? It's Time To Get Your Vitamin D In Check - mindbodygreen.com - October 11th, 2021
- Joint : Why Breast Cancer Awareness Matters, and How to Get It Done - marketscreener.com - October 11th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 7th, 2021
- Fasting boosts stem cells regenerative capacity | MIT ... - October 7th, 2021
- Adventist Review Online | Vaxed, Vexed, or Other? - Adventist Review - October 7th, 2021
- Sickle cell disease patients given hope for the future with first new treatment in 20 years - iNews - October 7th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WCAX - October 7th, 2021
- New Australian-first gene therapy gives Rylee and Saman sight at night and the chance at a new life - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Is Stathmin-2 the Next Piece of the ALS Jigsaw Puzzle? - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Ashley Black, Entrepreneur Of The Year For Health And Beauty, To Launch Best-Selling FasciaBlaster System - LatestLY - October 5th, 2021
- 25 Best Body Scrubs and Exfoliators in 2021 - the Trend Spotter - The Trend Spotter - October 5th, 2021
- Potential of exosomes as cell-free therapy | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present at Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer 2021 Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2021
- 12 of the best face serums 2021 - Medical News Today - October 2nd, 2021
- Humanigen Submits All Planned Modules for Potential Conditional Marketing Authorization from the UK's MHRA - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2021
- Envigo Announces Collaboration With Biocytogen to Distribute the B-NDG Triple Immunodeficient and Humanizable Mouse Model - StreetInsider.com - September 29th, 2021
- Large-Scale Bioproduction of Adherent Cells To Support Advanced Therapy Workflows - Technology Networks - September 29th, 2021
- Sidney author warns against the abuses of technology Saanich News - Saanich News - September 27th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Closes Transaction With Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition Corporation, Creating a Publicly Traded Biotechnology Company Dedicated... - September 25th, 2021
- Dr. Sean Kelishadi provides stem cell therapy for facial procedures - Digital Journal - September 25th, 2021
- Pipeline of cell and gene therapies holds promise for repairing the Parkinsonian brain - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- National Institutes of Health awards Children - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition : Announces Shareholder Approval of Business Combination with Jasper Therapeutics, Inc (Form 8-K) -... - September 25th, 2021
- Can you mix and match COVID vaccines or boosters? What scientists and doctors say - CNET - September 22nd, 2021
- All The Reasons Why You Should Add Nutrient-Dense Mushrooms To Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - September 22nd, 2021
- My children know I have a terminal illness talking openly about cancer benefits all of us - iNews - September 22nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Surgical Products Market Size to Expand Significantly by the End of 2031 - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2021
- Health tips from Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen for 9-21-21 - The Commercial Dispatch - September 22nd, 2021
- Prescription Drugs Can Be Affordable and Innovative - Center For American Progress - September 18th, 2021
- The Promise of Regenerative Medicine to Treat Chronic Pain - Mega Doctor News - September 18th, 2021
- Precise CRISPR gene editing can correct the mutation that causes cystic fibrosis in mini-intestines - Massive Science - September 18th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Publication of FT538 Preclinical Data Demonstrating Enhanced ... - The Bakersfield Californian - September 18th, 2021
- A New Company With a Wild Mission: Bring Back the Woolly Mammoth - The New York Times - September 14th, 2021
- Therapeutic inhibition of USP9x-mediated Notch signaling in triple-negative breast cancer - pnas.org - September 14th, 2021
- What are the health benefits of nectarines? - Medical News Today - September 10th, 2021
- Time to humanize European health research with an action plan - POLITICO.eu - September 10th, 2021
- Tiny radio tags reveal the lives of Neotropical stingless bees - Massive Science - September 10th, 2021
- Bristol Myers Squibb Research at ESMO 2021 Demonstrates Clinical Benefits of Immunotherapies in Multiple Hard-to-Treat Advanced or Metastatic Cancers... - September 8th, 2021
- Opdivo: Use with Yervoy, Side Effects, Cost, and More - Healthline - September 8th, 2021
- The Deal in Duluth: Catholics here on their own in seeking a religious exemption to being vaccinated - Duluth News Tribune - September 8th, 2021
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Three Primary Malignant Tumors | BCTT - Dove Medical Press - September 8th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 7th, 2021
- Sorrento Announces Enrollment of First Subject in Brazil Phase 2 Study of COVI-MSC for Treatment of COVID-19 Associated Acute Respiratory Distress in... - September 2nd, 2021
- 11 of the best vitamin C serums 2021 - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) advice on third primary dose vaccination - GOV.UK - September 2nd, 2021
- Japanese scientists have 3D printed a square of lab-grown wagyu beef - The A.V. Club - September 2nd, 2021
- This Company is Producing Bioprinted Fur, Wool & Eyelashes Which Could Make Fur Farms Obsolete - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine -... - September 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics Presents Preliminary Results from Phase 1 Trial of P-PSMA-101 at the 6th Annual CAR- - Benzinga - September 1st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- KNUCKLES Role in Flower Clock; This Tiny Multi-Functional Protein Helps Complete Floral Development Properly at the Right Time - Science Times - September 1st, 2021
- Outlook on the Multiple Myeloma Drugs Global Market to 2026 - by Therapy, Drug Type, End-user, Distribution Channel and Region - Yahoo Finance - August 30th, 2021
- 6 Benefits of Not Eating Meat (or at Least Less of It) - Healthline - August 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market by Type of Cell Manufactured, Source of Cell, Scale of Operation, Purpose of Manufacturing and Key Geographical... - August 25th, 2021
- The world's first 3D-printed Wagyu beef is revealed-it's marbling like the real thing - Texasnewstoday.com - August 25th, 2021
- Science-Backed Benefits of Prickly Pear Cactus - Healthline - August 25th, 2021
- AdAlta and Carina Biotech to develop next-generation CAR-T cancer therapeutics | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - August 25th, 2021
- Educating California and the world on the benefits of hydrogen-powered transportation - H2 View - August 25th, 2021
- The Future is Fat: The Startups Looking to Fatten up Vegan Food - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - August 25th, 2021
- This tech investor believes well soon live to 150. Here are his seven longevity hacks - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2021
- The Best New CBD Skincare Products Of 2021 (So Far) - Forbes - August 25th, 2021
- FDA Approval, Efficacy, Boosters and More: Which COVID Vaccine is Best for You? - NBC Chicago - August 25th, 2021
- Plant Stem Cell Market Technology Research and Global Outlook By Our Experts The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 22nd, 2021
- AAPI's National Blood Donation Drive and Stem Cell Registry Launched, Honoring Fallen Covid Warriors The Indian Panorama - The Indian Panorama - August 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cells Facts and Quiz - WebMD - August 20th, 2021
- Stem cells | healthdirect - August 20th, 2021
- Research Study Published in Functional Foods Highlights Benefits of a Proprietary CBD Formula for Neurological Health - The Free Press Tampa - August 20th, 2021
- Leukemia Stem Cell Transplant: Benefits, Procedure, Side ... - August 20th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Positive Interim Clinical Data from its FT596 and FT516 Off-the-shelf, iPSC - GlobeNewswire - August 20th, 2021