Cell and gene therapies are overlapping fields of research and treatments. While both aim to treat and potentially cure diseases, they have slightly differing approaches and have different historical backgrounds. Due to growing interest surrounding this field, the general public still has much to learn and understand about each of these potentially life-saving therapies.
Below, we provide a general overview and brief historical context for each type of therapy.
Cell therapyis the process of replacing damaged or dysfunctional cells with new, healthy ones by transferring live cells into a patient. These can be autologous (also known as self-to-self, using cells from the patient receiving the treatment) or allogeneic (using cells from a donor for the treatment). While this field of treatment has recently begun to expand, some forms of cell therapy like the cancer-treating hematopoietic stem cell transplantation(HSCT) have been in practice for decades.
While many people have heard of bone marrow transplants, few realize that this procedure is a stem cell therapy. While stem cells can be derived from many sources, such as umbilical cord blood and mobilized peripheral blood, bone marrow derived stem cell therapy is the most commonly used today and has been for more than 50 years.
The first transfusion of human bone marrow was given to a patient with aplastic anemia in 1939. After World War II researchers diligently worked to restore bone marrow function in aplasia patients caused by exposure to radiation produced by the atomic bomb. After a decade of work they were able to show, in a mouse model, that aplasia could be overcome by bone marrow treatment.
The first allogeneic HSCT, which led the way to current protocols, was pioneered by E. Donnall Thomas and his team at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and reported in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1957. In this study six patients were treated with radiation and chemotherapy and then received intravenous infusion of bone marrow rich stem cells from a normal donor to reestablish the damaged or defective cells. Since then the field has evolved and expanded worldwide. While almost half of HSCT are allogeneic, the majority of HSCT are autologous, the patient's own stem cells are used for treatment, which carries less risk to the patient.
In 1988, scientists discovered that they could derive stem cells from human embryos and grow the cells in a laboratory. These newly derived stem cells, referred to as embryonic stem cells (hESCs), were found to be pluripotent, meaning they can give rise to virtually any other type of cell in the body. This versatility allows hESCs cells to potentially regenerate or repair diseased tissue and organs. Two decades after they were discovered, treatments based on hESCs have been slow in coming because of controversy over their source and concerns that they could turn into tumours once implanted. Only recently, testing has begun as a treatment for two major diseases: heart failure and type 1 diabetes.
In 2006, researchers made a groundbreaking discovery by identifying conditions that would allow some cells to be 'reprogrammed' genetically. This new type of stem cell became known as induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). Since this discovery, the field has expanded tremendously in the past two decades. Stem cell therapies have expanded in use and have been used to treat diseases such as type 1 diabetes, Parkinson's and even spinal cord injuries.
There has also been a growing focus on using other immune cells to treat cancer. Therapies such as CAR T-cellare dependent upon a patient's T-cells, which play a critical role in managing the immune response and killing cells affected by harmful pathogens. These cells are then reengineered to target and kill certain cancerous cells. Several CAR T-cell therapies have been FDA approved, with the first approval being given in 2017 for Yescarta and Kymriah, to be used for the treatment of B-cell leukemia in children and young adults.
Gene therapyis a process that modifies the expression of a gene or alters the biological process of living cells for therapeutic use. This process can take the form of replacing a disease-causing gene with a new, healthy one, inactivating the mutated gene, or introducing a new gene to help the patient's body fight a disease.
While the use of gene therapy to treat humans is fairly new, the science behind it has been used in science for decades. Farmers and geneticists have collaborated for years on crop improvement using cross pollination, genetic engineering and microinjection techniques to create stronger, more resilient crops.
The first human patient to be treated with gene therapy was a four-year old girlsuffering from severe combined immunodeficiencyin 1990. She received treatment for a congenital disease called adenosine deaminase (ADA). Since then, gene therapies have been used to treat diseases such as cancer, cystic fibrosis and hemophilia.In 2017, the FDA gave its first approval of a gene therapy called Luxturna, which is used to treat patients with established genetic vision loss that may result in blindness. Gene therapies are still being studied and developed, with over 1,000 clinical trialscurrently underway.
ThermoGenesis Holdings Inc., is a pioneer and market leader in the development and commercialization of automated cell processing technologies for the cell and gene therapy fields. We market a full suite of solutions for automated clinical biobanking, point-of-care applications and large-scale cell processing and manufacturing with a special emphasis on the emerging CAR-T immunotherapy market. We are committed to making the world a healthier place by creating innovative solutions for those in need.
For more information on the CAR-TXpress multi-system platform, please contact our Sales team.
Thermogenesis Holdings Inc. published this content on 13 April 2021 and is solely responsible for the information contained therein. Distributed by Public, unedited and unaltered, on 13 April 2021 07:10:03 UTC.
Originally posted here:
- Repeated infusion of mesenchymal stem cells maintain the condition to inhibit deteriorated motor function, leading to an extended lifespan in the... - May 10th, 2021
- Smart Immune Announces FDA Orphan Drug Status, IND Acceptance and Fast-Track Designation to Commence Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of Proprietary... - May 10th, 2021
- Nathaniel's family have just three days to raise 150,000 for life-saving operation - Mirror Online - May 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Becoming a Common Treatment for Medical Diseases, Disorders and Traumas - Flagstaff Business News - May 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Type (Allogeneic Stem Cell, Autologous Stem Cell), By Application (Autoimmune Diseases, Immunodeficiencies,... - May 5th, 2021
- Our first child is due, and Im already in the clutches of the baby-industrial complex - The Guardian - May 5th, 2021
- Scientists identify small-molecule cocktail to improve stem cell use in research and disease treatments - National Institutes of Health - May 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - May 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Research Report By Scope, Size, Share, Drivers, Restraints, Key Players and Forecasts KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - May 5th, 2021
- Celebrate Mother's Day With the Gift of Life-Saving Cord Blood Donation - GlobeNewswire - May 2nd, 2021
- Key Trends of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021 Business Opportunities, Market Dynamics, Growth Size and Forecasts to 2026 - Clark... - May 2nd, 2021
- The Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market To Get Re-Energized By The Global The Courier - The Courier - April 24th, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from elective abortion called 'deeply offensive' - TheCatholicSpirit.com : TheCatholicSpirit.com - The Catholic Spirit - April 24th, 2021
- U.S. Rep. Greene one of just two House lawmakers opposing stem cell, bone marrow transplant bill - Chattanooga Times Free Press - April 18th, 2021
- Blood Donors needed, as local blood supply faces 'Perfect Storm' - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - April 16th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment needed to fight the good fight - Victoria Lookout - April 16th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027 : Becton, Dickinson and Company, DomaniCell, LLC, Future Health... - April 14th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Booming CAGR +10% by 2028|| Osiris Therapeutics, Athersys, Opexa Therapeutics, NeoStem, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem... - April 14th, 2021
- Cidara Therapeutics to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Vincerx Pharma To Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on Bioconjugation and CDK9 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Hematologic and Solid Tumors - April 8th, 2021
- Cabaletta Bio to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Arch Oncology Appoints Laurence Blumberg, M.D. President and CEO - April 8th, 2021
- X4 Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Immutep Announces European Patent Grant For LAG525 Antibody In Combination Therapy - April 8th, 2021
- Cannalogue Expands Compassionate Care Program to Provide Lowest Medical Cannabis Price in Canada - April 8th, 2021
- Allena Pharmaceuticals Appoints Mark J. Fitzpatrick to its Board of Directors - April 8th, 2021
- Fortress Biotech to Participate in the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Chinook Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 2 AFFINITY Basket Study of Atrasentan in Proteinuric Glomerular Diseases - April 8th, 2021
- Rhythm Pharmaceuticals to Present at 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- NKGen Biotech Announces Appointment of Philip Moody as Chief Financial Officer - April 8th, 2021
- CorMedix Inc. to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Innovation Pharma Announces Brilacidin Abstract Accepted for Oral Presentation at the American Society for Virology’s Annual Meeting - April 8th, 2021
- AIM ImmunoTech Announces Positive Safety Data in First Cohort of Phase 1 Clinical Study Investigating Intranasal Administration of Ampligen as a... - April 8th, 2021
- Cullinan Oncology, Inc. to Participate in the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- Advanced... - April 6th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell... - April 6th, 2021
- 25 Children with Autism Treated with Cord Blood: How Efficient is the Treatment? - Science Times - April 6th, 2021
- Latest Trending Report on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori Therapeutics, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 3rd, 2021
- The Governments Watchful Eye on Fraud Stemming from Stem Cell Therapy - JD Supra - April 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021 Analysis, Growth By Top Companies with Forecast 2025 : CBR Systems, ThermoGenesis, China Cord... - April 1st, 2021
- Why Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market will be in Trend in Coming Period? Top Key Players- CBR Systems, China Cord Blood Corporation,... - April 1st, 2021
- Global Cell Isolation Market Sales Scenario of to Stay Positive Through 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 1st, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top... - April 1st, 2021
- Global Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Industry Size, Future Trends, Development Strategy, Growth Factors, Top Players, Historical... - March 30th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells HSCs Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- Kite Pharma... - March 30th, 2021
- Vita 34 continues to grow in 2020 in core markets after good year-end business - PharmiWeb.com - March 30th, 2021
- Biobanking Market | 2021 Global Industry Analysis by Covid-19 Impact On Healthcare Sector, Business with Forecast to 2027 The Bisouv Network - The... - March 30th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell,... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study Top Key Players, Application, Growth Analysis And Forecasts To 2016 2024 FLA News - FLA News - March 26th, 2021
- Inner Wheel Blayney held a cord blood fundraising event in the Community Centre - Blayney Chronicle - March 26th, 2021
- Research on Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Key Data Points Necessary for Effective Strategies | Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market : Trends, Growth, Regions, Types and Key Developments, Applications By 2026 | Chart, Worthington... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - March 24th, 2021
- Stem cells from umbilical cords might be the answer for severely ill COVID patients: Canadian researchers - National Post - March 24th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Projected to Gain Significant Value by 2021-2025 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - March 24th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market to See Major Growth by 2026 | Gilead Sciences, Cesca Therapeutics, R&D Systems Investments Revolution... - March 22nd, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cells - March 22nd, 2021
- Mouse embryos grow for days in culture, but the requirements are a bit nuts - Ars Technica - March 22nd, 2021
- Cell Transplant Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- Regen Biopharma, Global... - March 22nd, 2021
- [Full text] Early Detection of Negative Smoking Impacts: Vascular Adaptation Devia | VHRM - Dove Medical Press - March 22nd, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Size by Top Key Players are including in this report: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord... - March 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market expected to reach USD 16.51 Billion by 2025 with the CAGR of 8.5% FLA News - FLA News - March 18th, 2021
- Research on Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market 2021 : By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2026 KSU... - March 18th, 2021
- Father, daughter honored for their work supporting nonprofit - dayton.com - March 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size | Growth, Opportunities, Trends And Forecast To 2027 Cabell Standard - Cabell Standard - March 18th, 2021
- Global Cell Transplant Market 2020 Overview of Vital Industry Drivers | Top Players Regen Biopharma , Global Cord Blood Corporation , Escape... - March 18th, 2021
- This is not science fiction. Israeli researchers have grown an embryo outside the womb - Haaretz - March 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Industry Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027:Sichuan mountain vertical, Cesca... - March 18th, 2021
- One step closer to treating spinal cord injury with our own stem cells - Speaking of Research - March 17th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach $242.3 Million by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - March 17th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Is Expected To Bring In USD 13.8 Billion By 2026 - PharmiWeb.com - March 17th, 2021
- Global Stem Cells Banking Market 2026 : Analyse the Industry Developments and Investment Decisions of Esperite, Neostem, Smart Cells International ... - March 17th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Presents Efficacy and Safety Results of Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies at the 47th Annual Meeting... - March 17th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market is Driven by Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Life-threatening Diseases KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - March 17th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Analysis, Growth, Emerging Trends, Opportunity and Forecast To 2027 FLA News - FLA News - March 17th, 2021
- Placental Stem Cell Therapy Market: Regenerative Ability to Develop into Other Types of Cells to Drive Global Market - BioSpace - March 13th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Growth Near in The Future||SMART CELLS PLUS, LifeCell International, Global Cord... - March 13th, 2021
- The Insight Partners's Detailed Report on Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Market Offers Projections of Potential Impact of Corona Virus Outbreak ... - March 11th, 2021