Research focuses on mans exposure prior to conception
A new study from the University of Georgia has shown that exposure to a now-banned flame retardant can alter the genetic code in sperm, leading to major health defects in children of exposed parents.
Published recently in Scientific Reports, the study is the first to investigate how polybrominated biphenyl-153 (PBB153), the primary chemical component of the flame retardant FireMaster, impacts paternal reproduction.
In 1973, an estimated 6.5 million Michigan residents were exposed to PBB153 when FireMaster was accidentally sent to state grain mills where it made its way into the food supply. In the decades since, a range of health problems including skin discoloration, headache, dizziness, joint pain and even some cancers have been linked to the exposure.
More striking, the children of those who were exposed seemed to experience a host of health issues as well, including reports of hernia or buildup in the scrotum for newborn sons and a higher chance of stillbirth or miscarriage among adult daughters.
Yet, little work has been done to understand how the chemical exposure could have impacted genes passed from an exposed father, said study author Katherine Greeson.
It is still a relatively new idea that a mans exposures prior to conception can impact the health of his children, said Greeson, an environmental health science doctoral student in Charles Easleys lab at UGAs College of Public Health and Regenerative Bioscience Center.
Most studies where a toxic effect is observed in children look only to the mothers and the same has been true of studies conducted on PBB153, she said.
Greeson and a team of researchers from UGA and Emory University used a unique combination of observational and laboratory approaches to demonstrate how PBB153 acted on sperm cells.
Typically, scientific studies are either epidemiological in nature and inherently observational or focus on bench science, but in this study, we did both, said Greeson.
This approach allowed the researchers to mimic the known blood exposure levels of PBB153 in a lab environment.
We were uniquely able to recreate this effect using our previously characterized human stem cell model for spermatogenesis, she said, which allowed us to study the mechanism that causes this effect in humans.
The team looked at the expression of different genes in their human spermatogenesis model after dosing with PBB153 and found marked alterations in gene expression between dosed and undosed cells, specifically at genes important to development, such as embryonic organ, limb, muscle, and nervous system development.
PBB153 causes changes to the DNA in sperm in a way that changes how the genes are turned on and off, said Greeson. PBB153 seems to turn on these genes in sperm which should be turned off, said Greeson, which may explain some of the endocrine-related health issues observed in the children of exposed parents.
Though the study used this model to directly replicate exposure to PBB153, Greeson says this approach could be used to better understand the impact of other environmental exposures on reproduction, including large-scale accidental exposures to toxic chemicals or everyday exposures.
Hopefully this work will lead to more studies combining epidemiology and bench science in the future, which will tell us more about why were seeing an effect from an environmental exposure in human populations and encourage experimental studies to more closely mimic human exposures, she said.
The study, Detrimental Effects of Flame Retardant, PBB153, Exposure on Sperm and Future Generations, published May 22. It is available online.
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Seen to Help COPD Patients with Severe Inflammation - COPD News Today - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Ide-cel Appears Active in Almost Three-Fourths of Heavily Pretreated Patients with Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- Opdivo + Yervoy receive FDA approval combined with limited chemotherapy as first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020
- US bishop: We must halt development of any coronavirus vaccine derived from aborted babies - Lifesite - April 29th, 2020
- First-in-Human Universal CAR-T Therapy Found Active in Relapsed/Refractory T-ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 29th, 2020
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Triple Negative Breast Cancer That Has Spread, Not Responded to Other Treatments - FDA.gov - April 26th, 2020
- 'I Will Not Kill Children to Live' - Church Militant - April 26th, 2020
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Triple Negative Breast Cancer That Has Spread, Not Responded to Other Treatments - Herald-Mail Media - April 24th, 2020