Handling diabetes is a daily struggle for many. It can require near constant forethought about when and what a person will eat during the day, if and how much insulin the meals will require, innumerable finger pricks to check glucose levels and the added inconvenience of constantly carrying around insulin pumps and testers, extra batteries and everything else they will need to get through the day.
Diabetics may have to self-administer insulin shots like this three times a day.
Diabetes refers to a family of diseases where the body is unable to effectively produce or use insulin, the hormone required to convert food into energy. The cause of diabetes is not known, and so far, there is no cure. Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States today.
According to the American Diabetes Association, "there are 23.6 million children and adults in the United States, or 7.8% of the population, who have diabetes. While an estimated 17.9 million have been diagnosed with diabetes, unfortunately, 5.7 million people (or nearly one quarter) are unaware that they have the disease."
There are three main types of diabetes:
Type 1 Diabetes is characterized by the bodys inability to produce insulin and therefore necessitates daily injections of insulin. Because it most often develops in children, it is often referred to as "juvenile diabetes." The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) reports that as many as three million Americans may have type 1 diabetes (T1D) and an average of 40 children each day (more than 15,000 per year) are diagnosed.
Stabilizing insulin levels is the key to managing diabetes. The standard treatment today focusses on supplementing the bodys insulin, typically through injection (needles) or insulin pumps, which are worn outside the body. This requires the patient testing his or her blood sugar levels several times per day and carefully maintaining blood insulin levels. While this is recognized as the best standard of care currently, researchers hope to find a way to help the body produce or better regulate its own insulin levels.
One such method being researched uses stem cells to create the insulin-producing islets in the pancreas. While stem cell therapy has yet to cure type 1 diabetes, there are documented cases where patients have gone years without needing insulin injections. Some clinical trials are using cord blood stem cells specifically to treat diabetes.
In 2017, researches gathered and analyzed 13 studies published between 2006 and 2016 comprising 342 patients who received stem cells like those abundant in cord blood and another 111 who received stem cells like those abundant in cord tissue to treat their diabetes. While not everyone responded to the treatment, researchers observed improved glucose control and reduced dependence on insulin lasting up to four years. While the results showed promise for the treatment of diabetes using stem cells, it still left a few questions unanswered including who were the ideal candidates, what was the best route of administration, what was the optimal dose and was there a need for multiple transfusions.
A clinical trial conducted in Brazil comprising 21 adult patients with type 1 diabetes shows that a stem cell infusion may remedy the disease, at least for a number of years. Published during 2017 in the journal Frontiers in Immunology, the results showed that most patients became insulin-free for three and a half years and one patient did not have to use insulin for eight years. We now understand stem cell transplants can succeed in treating diabetes for some, said Bart Roep, Ph.D., the Chan Soon-Shiong Shapiro Distinguished Chair in Diabetes, professor/founding chair of the Department of Diabetes Immunology and monitor of the clinical trial.
These positive outcomes were not the rule. For some patients, the stem cell transplant had little to no effect on their type 1 diabetes (T1D).
Bart Roep, Ph.D.
We discovered the immune signature predicting these outcomeseither favorable or notwhich is the first step toward personalized medicine in type 1 diabetes, said Dr. Roep. Understanding why it sometimes fails will allow us to design new treatment strategies for those less fortunate patients. Also, it is the first definitive proof that T1D can be cured.
In the study, the type 1 diabetes patients lasted up to 30 months after infusion without insulin; however, after that point in time, the benefits started to decrease and most of the long-lasting insulin-free patients eventually resumed insulin. This indicated that additional mechanisms may be at play or that genetic background may still have an influence. To counter this effect, T-regulatory cells (Tregs) were infused. In short-term follow-ups, infusions of Tregs decreased insulin requirements in six out of eight patients, two of which became insulin-free.
The stem cells in this study were autologous hematopoietic stem cells. They are the same type of stem cells found in umbilical cord blood. Because type 1 diabetes (often referred to as juvenile diabetes) is an auto-immune disease that shows up early in life, it is easy to see where the outcome of this study could prove beneficial to people whose cord blood was stored at birth. Cord blood is the best source of these hematopoietic stem cells because of their navet and lack of any mutations caused by ageing.
The results of this study follow a recent conclusion by the same researchers that type 1 diabetes was not caused by immune system mistakenly attacking insulin-creating beta cells but rather caused by distressed beta cells themselves effecting the immune response.
Researchers at the University of Florida Health say they have found a way to expand certain preserved cord blood cells that could potentially serve as a long-term treatment for type 1 diabetes. The cells are called thymic regulatory T cells, or tTregs for short. They are a type of white blood cell that helps prevent autoimmune responses, which is when a persons immune system attacks him- or herself, such as in diabetes.
Using microbeads that activate and stimulate growth, scientists were able to culture 1.26 billion tTreg cells from a harvest of 250,000500,000 umbilical cord tTregs. Having the ability to propagate these tTreg cells could be a step toward stopping the disease because it allows doctors to do the following: (1) replenish low tTreg counts caught early in life, (2) replace bad tTregs with a fresh supply of new, good tTregs and (3) renew treatments as or if insulin-dependency returns.
The results of this study are also another step toward being able to harvest part of a cryo-preserved cord blood collection for multiple treatment opportunities.
The Stem Cell Educator device is said to re-educate immune system cells
A newly developed Stem Cell Educator (SCE) uses a novel cell identified by Dr. Yong Zhao as having embryonic and hematopoietic characteristics. Dr. Zhao says these cord bloodstem cells (CBSC) can be used to re-educated lymphocytes and stop autoimmune responses. The Educator circulates a patients blood through a closed-loop system that separates mononuclear cells from the whole blood, briefly co-cultures them with adherent cord bloodstem cells and returns the re-educated cells to the patients circulation. The Stem Cell Educator does not introduce new stem cells into patients in comparison with other stem cellbased therapies. In addition, in prior trials, Dr. Zhao says the educator eliminates the need for prior matching and a treatment take as few as 810 hours.
A study out of Australia is recruiting children between the ages of 1 and 12 to see if a re-infusion of their own cord blood can help prevent type I diabetes in those who are at an enhanced risk.
The Institute of Metabolism and Endocrinology in China has a pair of studies looking at Treg cells from cord blood for diabetes.
A study on the Stem Cell Educator is currently in trial in China.
Another three different studies in China are using cord tissue stem cells for patients with diabetes.
A clinical trial in Vietnam is also looking at how cord tissue stem cells can treat the condition.
Continue reading here:
- Cord Blood Banking Service Market is Projected to Showcase Significant Growth USD 2,772 million at CAGR +13% up to 2027| Cord Blood America, Inc., CBR... - July 29th, 2021
- Be wary of stem cell treatments; blood pressure meds help with dementia - Hometown Focus - July 29th, 2021
- Protein Discovery Links Together Two Forms of ALS - Technology Networks - July 29th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking, Umbilical Cord Stem Cells ... - July 21st, 2021
- Cord Blood Registry (CBR) | CordBloodBanking.com - July 21st, 2021
- About CBR - Cord Blood Registry - July 21st, 2021
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants - National Cancer ... - July 21st, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market 2021 | Key Players Market With Pre & Post COVID-19 Impact Analysis | In Depth Insight | Growth &... - July 21st, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Witnesses Upward Trend with High Prevalence of Parkinson's Disease The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 21st, 2021
- New Blood - Weizmann Wonder Wander - News, Features and Discoveries - Weizmann Institute of Science - July 17th, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 17th, 2021
- Huge Growth of Cord Blood Banking Services Market by 2027 | Cryo-Cell, Virgin Health Bank., Cryo-Cell International, Inc., Cryo-Save AG The Manomet... - July 17th, 2021
- Is this how Meghan Markle is raising Lilibet? From smart cots to placenta pills the popular way to p... - The US Sun - July 7th, 2021
- Impact of NK cell-based therapeutics for Lung Cancer Therapy | BTT - Dove Medical Press - July 7th, 2021
- Cordlife India - Umbilical cord Blood Banking - July 5th, 2021
- Cord blood bank - Wikipedia - July 5th, 2021
- Canadian Blood Services Stem Cells for Life - July 5th, 2021
- Mouse Embryo With Beating Heart Created From Stem Cells By Scientists - IFLScience - July 3rd, 2021
- Recent updates in Stem Cells Market: Research Report Segmented by Applications, Geography, Trends and Projection 2028 The Courier - The Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Business Trends, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecasts To 2028 The Courier - The... - June 27th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Analysis Report By Product, By Application, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts 2027 ... - June 27th, 2021
- Spinal Fusion Market Challenges, Key Players, Industry Segments, Development, Opportunities, Forecast Report 2027: Charter, Worthington Industries,... - June 27th, 2021
- World's First Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Pool Banking - June 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood and Tissue Banking | New England Cord Blood Bank - June 24th, 2021
- List of FDA Approved Stem Cell Treatments - Cord For Life - June 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking | UK Stem Cell Bank | Biovault Family - June 24th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Canada & Stem Cells Storage ... - June 24th, 2021
- stem cells - SlideShare - June 24th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Announces Publication in Blood, the Journal of the American Society of Hematology, of the First Pivotal Trial to Evaluate a Cell Therapy... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market 2021 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - June 24th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - WFMZ... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Status, Business Trends, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecasts To 2028||Cryo-Cell International,... - June 20th, 2021
- Global $15.52 Bn Cell Isolation (Human Cells and Animal Cells) - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- Uses & Importance of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells | NECBB - June 16th, 2021
- Cord blood stem cells: a review of potential neurological ... - June 16th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Medical Society - June 16th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Set to Grow with Massive CAGR by 2028. Major Players Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - June 16th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Report Provides An In-Depth Insight Of Demand And Trends Forecast To 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 14th, 2021
- What Are Stem Cells and Why Are They Important? - News & Features - June 13th, 2021
- Simone Anderson cleared by ASA over cord blood post but accused of deleting negative comments - New Zealand Herald - June 13th, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2028 The Manomet Current... - June 13th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 9th, 2021
- Global Analysis of Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Size 2021-2026 By Industry Demand, Growth Share and Competitive Landscape Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 9th, 2021
- MedShadow Foundation Reports on Two Decades of Research and Regulation of Stem Cell Therapy - PRUnderground - May 30th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Research Report Including SWOT Analysis, PESTELE Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Global Industry Outlook and Key Players Analysis By... - May 26th, 2021
- What is lab grown meat? A scientist explains the taste, production and safety of artificial foods - BBC Focus Magazine - May 26th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021: Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends and Forecasts 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 26th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Revenue, Size Industry Statistics, Share, Analysis and Global Research Report, 2020-2027 The Courier - The Courier - May 22nd, 2021
- AB-205 Shows Promise in Patients With Systemic Lymphoma Undergoing HDT-ASCT - Targeted Oncology - May 22nd, 2021
- Research on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Key Data Points Necessary for Effective Strategies | Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - May 20th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.9% by 2025 - Market Primes - May 20th, 2021
- Amazon in talks to buy MGM movie studio - The Information - Yahoo Finance UK - May 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Revenue, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Trends and Demand by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 20th, 2021
- Swab To Save a Life event to be held at Berlin Boro Hall - nj.com - May 20th, 2021
- Caribou Biosciences Announces Appointment of Katy Rezvani, M.D., Ph.D. and Christopher Sturgeon, Ph.D. to its Scientific Advisory Board - Business... - May 20th, 2021
- Repeated infusion of mesenchymal stem cells maintain the condition to inhibit deteriorated motor function, leading to an extended lifespan in the... - May 10th, 2021
- Smart Immune Announces FDA Orphan Drug Status, IND Acceptance and Fast-Track Designation to Commence Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of Proprietary... - May 10th, 2021
- Nathaniel's family have just three days to raise 150,000 for life-saving operation - Mirror Online - May 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Becoming a Common Treatment for Medical Diseases, Disorders and Traumas - Flagstaff Business News - May 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Type (Allogeneic Stem Cell, Autologous Stem Cell), By Application (Autoimmune Diseases, Immunodeficiencies,... - May 5th, 2021
- Our first child is due, and Im already in the clutches of the baby-industrial complex - The Guardian - May 5th, 2021
- Scientists identify small-molecule cocktail to improve stem cell use in research and disease treatments - National Institutes of Health - May 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - May 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Research Report By Scope, Size, Share, Drivers, Restraints, Key Players and Forecasts KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - May 5th, 2021
- Celebrate Mother's Day With the Gift of Life-Saving Cord Blood Donation - GlobeNewswire - May 2nd, 2021
- Key Trends of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2021 Business Opportunities, Market Dynamics, Growth Size and Forecasts to 2026 - Clark... - May 2nd, 2021
- The Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market To Get Re-Energized By The Global The Courier - The Courier - April 24th, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from elective abortion called 'deeply offensive' - TheCatholicSpirit.com : TheCatholicSpirit.com - The Catholic Spirit - April 24th, 2021
- U.S. Rep. Greene one of just two House lawmakers opposing stem cell, bone marrow transplant bill - Chattanooga Times Free Press - April 18th, 2021
- Blood Donors needed, as local blood supply faces 'Perfect Storm' - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - April 16th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment needed to fight the good fight - Victoria Lookout - April 16th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - Marketscreener.com - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Overview, Opportunities, In-Depth Analysis by 2027 : Becton, Dickinson and Company, DomaniCell, LLC, Future Health... - April 14th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Booming CAGR +10% by 2028|| Osiris Therapeutics, Athersys, Opexa Therapeutics, NeoStem, Mesoblast Limited,... - April 14th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem... - April 14th, 2021
- Cidara Therapeutics to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Virtual Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021
- Vincerx Pharma To Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on Bioconjugation and CDK9 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Hematologic and Solid Tumors - April 8th, 2021
- Cabaletta Bio to Present at the 20th Annual Needham Healthcare Conference - April 8th, 2021