Remestemcel-L, Mesoblasts lead candidate stem cell therapy for inflammatory diseases, improves lung function and exercise capacity in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)and a high degree of inflammation, data from a post-hoc analysis of a Phase 2 trial show.
Findings were presented in an oral presentation at the 2020 International Society for Cell & Gene Therapy (ISCT) annual meeting, which took place virtually May 2829.
Remestemcel-L contains around 100 million of adult-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), cells that are able to give rise to nearly all tissues found in the body, including bones, muscles, and connective tissue.
MSCs are also thought to have strong immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory properties, able to counteract the overactivation of the immune system and excessive inflammation. For that reason, remestemcel-L is being investigated as a potential therapy for acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD,a potential life-threatening complication ofbone marrow transplant), and several other autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, including Crohns disease and COPD.
During ISCT, Mesoblast presented a post-hoc analysis of a Phase 2 trial (NCT00683722) that investigated the safety and efficacy of multiple doses of remestemcel-L in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD.
The trial, which concluded in August 2010, enrolled 62 patients who were randomly assigned to either four monthly intravenous infusions of remestemcel-L, containing about 100 million MSCs or to a placebo that lacked MSCs.
Patients were then monitored for two years. During follow-up, they completed several tests designed to assess their lung function and exercise capacity.
Lung function was evaluated based on two parameters: forced vital capacity(FVC), which measures the total amount of air a patient is able to exhale after a deep breath; and forced expiratory volume in one second(FEV1), which measures the total amount of air exhaled in one second after a deep breath.
Exercise capacity was assessed by thesix-minute walk distance (6MWD) test, which looks at total distance a patient is able to cover while walking for six minutes.
The goal of this post-hoc analysis was to compare the effects ofremestemcel-Lrelative to the placebo in patients who had high blood levels of the inflammatory markerC-reactive protein(CRP; 2 mg/mL or more) a protein whose levels rise in the presence of inflammation to patients with low blood levels.
Compared with placebo, remestemcel-L led to significant improvements in both lung function and exercise capacity measures in patients with high C-reactive proteinlevels at day 120 (about four months post-treatment).
Investigators also found these improvements to be more pronounced in those who had the highest blood levels of CRP (4 mg/mL or more), suggesting remestemcel-L is particularly beneficial for those with extensive inflammation. Among these patients, both FVC and FEV1 increased from baseline (study start), while they decreased in the placebo group. 6MWD also rose by a mean of 52 meters (about 171 feet) from baseline, while it dropped by about 3 meters (almost 1 foot) in those given a placebo.
The correlation between highest CRP levels and greatest degree of response to remestemcel-L suggests that the inflammatory component of the lung disease may trigger and be amenable to the immunomodulatory effects of treatment with remestemcel-L in patients with acute inflammatory conditions, Fred Grossman, chief medical officer of Mesoblast, said in a press release.
Since recurrent hospitalization rates and mortality in COPD are associated with both high levels of CRP and progressive decline in the six-minute walk test, these results suggest that remestemcel-L could provide longer-term benefits for COPD patients with high levels of inflammation, Grossman added.
These findings also provide a compelling rationale for the new Phase 3 trial (NCT04371393) assessing remestemcel-Lssafety and efficacy in about 300 people with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) associated with COVID-19, he said.
Top-line findings from this trial are expected in April 2021.
Joana holds a BSc in Biology, a MSc in Evolutionary and Developmental Biology and a PhD in Biomedical Sciences from Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal. Her work has been focused on the impact of non-canonical Wnt signaling in the collective behavior of endothelial cells cells that made up the lining of blood vessels found in the umbilical cord of newborns.
Total Posts: 157
Patrcia holds her PhD in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases from the Leiden University Medical Center in Leiden, The Netherlands. She has studied Applied Biology at Universidade do Minho and was a postdoctoral research fellow at Instituto de Medicina Molecular in Lisbon, Portugal. Her work has been focused on molecular genetic traits of infectious agents such as viruses and parasites.
See the original post here:
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Ide-cel Appears Active in Almost Three-Fourths of Heavily Pretreated Patients with Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- Opdivo + Yervoy receive FDA approval combined with limited chemotherapy as first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020
- US bishop: We must halt development of any coronavirus vaccine derived from aborted babies - Lifesite - April 29th, 2020
- First-in-Human Universal CAR-T Therapy Found Active in Relapsed/Refractory T-ALL - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 29th, 2020
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Triple Negative Breast Cancer That Has Spread, Not Responded to Other Treatments - FDA.gov - April 26th, 2020
- 'I Will Not Kill Children to Live' - Church Militant - April 26th, 2020
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Triple Negative Breast Cancer That Has Spread, Not Responded to Other Treatments - Herald-Mail Media - April 24th, 2020