COVID-19 and diabetes: Know what could be putting you at a higher risk
Roughly 90% of Americans who die of COVID-19 have diabetes or other health conditions. Here's what could be putting you at a higher risk for the virus.
Stem cell-derived therapy may be an avenuefor treating Type 1 diabetes, according to a clinical trial byVertex Pharmaceuticals.
The trial was centered on one patient,who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes40 years ago. For decades, he hadbeen dependent on insulin injections to manage his blood sugar.
Approximately 1.6 million Americans live with the disease, including about 200,000 young people under 20 years old,according to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF),the leading global organization funding Type 1 diabetes research.
Type 1 diabetes is a disease that requires constant monitoring and management. People with Type 1 diabetes need to continually balance their insulin intake and measure blood-sugar levels by pricking their fingers at least six times a day or by wearing a glucose monitor, according to JDRF.
If their glucose levels are not within the right range, people with Type 1 diabetes can be in life-threatening situations.
In the year prior to treatment, the patient for this clinical trial experienced fivesevere, potentially life-threatening episodes where his blood sugar was too low. He injected 34 units of insulin per day into his bloodstream, and tests showed his body was unable to create its own insulin.
As part of the clinical trial, the patient received an infusion of a stem cell-derived treatment called VX-880. The researchers only injected half the amount of the target dose as part of an initial test.
Stem cell research:California Prop 14 may change lives of sick kids, keep taxpayer funding of stem cell therapy research
Vertex published positive results in October, 90 days after the infusion, stating that the treatment was well-tolerated by the patient. It resulted in a91% decrease in the patient's daily insulin requirement and a restoration of insulin production.
These results from the first patient treated with VX-880 are unprecedented. What makes these results truly remarkable is that they were achieved with treatment at half the target dose, Dr. Bastiano Sanna, executive vice president and chief of cell and genetic therapies atVertex, said in a statement.
There were a few mild to moderate health events in the 90-day period, none of which were serious, according to Vertex. The patient experienced a few severe low blood sugar events and developed a rash, but those incidents were not related to VX-880, Vertex says.
Vertex points out that data from one patient may not be indicative of final clinical trial results, and there's still much to be explored. However, the potential benefits of the treatment could be life-changing.
"This potentially obviates the lifelong need for patients with diabetes to self-inject insulin as the replacement cells 'provide the patient with the natural factory to make their own insulin,' explained Harvard professor Doug Melton,co-director of Harvard Stem Cell Institute, in a statement following the trial.
Michelle Shen is a Money & Tech Digital Reporter for USA TODAY. You can reach her @michelle_shen10 on Twitter.
View original post here:
- New findings for the function of tau in neurodegenerative disease - EurekAlert - January 21st, 2022
- Arthritis-related gene also regenerates cartilage in joints and growth plates - USC News - January 21st, 2022
- Arthritis-related gene also regenerates cartilage in joints and growth plates - USC News - January 21st, 2022
- Going bald? Lab-grown hair cells could be on the way - MIT Technology Review - January 19th, 2022
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Cancer Immunology and Stem Cell Engineering job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 277946 - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 19th, 2022
- Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Biological Testing Market Future Developments, Business Insights, End Users, Application and Forecast to 2029 - Digital... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Business Insights, Key Trends and Forecast by 2027 Discovery... - January 19th, 2022
- Autophagy Regulation on Cancer Stem Cell Maintenance, Metastasis, and Therapy Resistance - Newswise - January 19th, 2022
- Early-Stage Study Suggests a Potential Approach to Preventing the Development of AML - PRNewswire - January 19th, 2022
- Genome Editing Market: Rise in drug discovery and development activities to drive the market - BioSpace - January 19th, 2022
- Direct effect of SARS-CoV-2 on the kidney - News-Medical.Net - January 19th, 2022
- Registration is open for the ISSCR 2022 Annual Meeting 15-18 June - EurekAlert - January 13th, 2022
- Stem cell: UC's odd 'unmention' in its top 10 research tales - Capitol Weekly - January 13th, 2022
- Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market Size Is Expected To Generate Huge Revenue and Competitive Outlook Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 13th, 2022
- Outsmarting Cancer: Next Generation Therapies - BioSpace - January 13th, 2022
- Doctors and Researchers Probe How COVID-19 Attacks the Heart - The Scientist - January 13th, 2022
- Legendary Bayer is Reinventing its Story with Cell and Gene Therapy - BioSpace - January 13th, 2022
- New Resource from NCCN Shares Evidence-Based Approaches to Recognize and Manage Graft-Versus-Host Disease after Stem Cell Transplantation - Newswise - January 11th, 2022
- Rising Focus on Exploring Potential of Stem Cells as Therapeutic Tools in Drug Targeting and Regenerative Medicine to Fuel Revenue Growth of Stem... - January 11th, 2022
- Stem Cell Media Market Statistics Based on Facts and Figures, 2022 to 2031 - Taiwan News - January 11th, 2022
- Regenerative Medicine: Innovation & Innovators leading online scientific event by IASRM in this pandemic - ThePrint - January 11th, 2022
- JPM22: Pfizer's big bet on mRNA, Biogen 'proven wrong' on Aduhelm price and the next cell therapies - BioPharma Dive - January 11th, 2022
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Treatment Market: Availability of Drugs and Immune-related Treatments Are Anticipated to Drive the Global Market -... - January 11th, 2022
- Peter Dirks, Asthma and Physics - Brain Tumour Research - January 9th, 2022
- Overview - Brain Tumor Stem Cell Research Lab - Mayo ... - January 7th, 2022
- Religious Groups Official Positions on Stem Cell Research ... - January 7th, 2022
- EBMT trial demonstrates improvements in immunosuppressive treatment of patients with Severe Aplastic Anemia - EurekAlert - January 7th, 2022
- CMML vs. CML: What's the Difference? - Healthline - January 7th, 2022
- Effects of Stem Cell Therapy on Diabetic Mellitus Erectile Dysfunction: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis - Newswise - January 5th, 2022
- Researchers Awarded Grant to Study New Method of Islet Transplantation - Weill Cornell Medicine Newsroom - January 5th, 2022
- FDA Grants Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation to AlloVir's Posoleucel for the Treatment of Adenovirus (AdV) Infections in... - January 5th, 2022
- Jake's mice: Searching for answers to the puzzle of autism - huntingdondailynews.com - January 5th, 2022
- Freeze Thaw Chambers Market: The cryopreserved products segment is expected to drive the growth of the market - BioSpace - January 5th, 2022
- Gait Rehabilitation System Market: Rising incidence of various neurological disorders to drive the market - BioSpace - January 5th, 2022
- Worldwide Translational Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2026 - Ongoing Research in Organ Transplantation With Regenerative Medicine Presents... - January 5th, 2022
- These 2021 Biotech Breakthroughs Will Shape the Future of Health and Medicine - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2022
- LifeBank Chain Announces Upcoming Gene and Cell Collaboration Platform With Disrupt Blockchain Technologies - Yahoo Finance - January 2nd, 2022
- Dental mesenchymal stromal/stem cells in different microenvironments implications in regenerative therapy - Newswise - January 2nd, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb exec on the companys growth in Seattle and beating cancer with immune cells - GeekWire - January 2nd, 2022
- Postdoc Position in Bioinformatics in Stem Cell Neurobiology job with MASARYK UNIVERSITY | 276195 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 25th, 2021
- USC Stem Cell - December 25th, 2021
- Communication between cells plays a major role in deciding their fate - EurekAlert - December 25th, 2021
- Researchers uncover new details behind inflammation that promotes heart disease - EurekAlert - December 25th, 2021
- Epithelial Cell Culture Media Market to hit US$ 303040.33 thousand by 2028, at 11.4% CAGR: The Insight Partners - Digital Journal - December 25th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Reach USD 57.08 Billion by 2027, Growing at a CAGR of 11.27% Over the Forecast Period. -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Communication between cells plays a major role in deciding their fate > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - December 23rd, 2021
- Emendo Biotherapeutics and Seattle Childrens Research Institute Announce Collaboration to Develop CRISPR-based Therapeutic Strategy for Severe... - December 23rd, 2021
- The 10 Most Compelling Research Stories of 2021 PharmaLive - PharmaLive - December 23rd, 2021
- UTSW working to reprogram cells to strengthen immunity in geriatric patients - EurekAlert - December 23rd, 2021
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market Objectives of the Study Includes Research Methodology and Assumptions and Forecast by 2031 - Digital Journal - December 23rd, 2021
- Drexel Researchers Develop and Employ Cell-Based Approach to Studying Mechanisms of Gulf War Illness - Drexel News Blog - December 21st, 2021
- This Startup Is Makingand ProgrammingHuman Cells - WIRED - December 21st, 2021
- Amniotics joins Vinnova funded 'CAMP' to improve outcome of lung transplantations with PulmoStem - marketscreener.com - December 21st, 2021
- COVID-19: Are T cell vaccines the future? - Medical News Today - December 21st, 2021
- The 10 Most Compelling Research Stories of 2021 - BioSpace - December 21st, 2021
- SpaceX CRS-24 launching multiple life science investigations to the International Space Station - EurekAlert - December 21st, 2021
- Fast food: Israeli team stumbles upon speed boost for slow-growing cultured meat - The Times of Israel - December 21st, 2021
- MRC Lead Apologizes Following Bullying Allegations - The Scientist - December 21st, 2021
- End of Year Wrap Up: Key Updates in Myeloma in 2021 and Possible Upcoming FDA Updates - Cancer Network - December 21st, 2021
- City of Hope presents leading-edge research on blood cancer therapies and its vaccine to reduce stem cell transplant complications at American Society... - December 17th, 2021
- IN8bio Provides Update from the Ongoing Phase 1 Clinical Trial of its Allogeneic Gamma-Delta T Cell Therapy in Leukemia Patients Undergoing... - December 17th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Announces Presentation of Data at the 63rd American Society of Hematology ... - The Bakersfield Californian - December 17th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Isolation Global Market to 2026 - by Technique, Cell Type, Product, Application, End-use and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2021
- CAR T-cell Therapy Found Equivalent to Standard of Care as Second-line Treatment for Aggressive non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - PRNewswire - December 15th, 2021
- Novel CD19-Directed CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Favorable Results in R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - December 15th, 2021
- Global CRISPR Technology Market Research Report 2021: Focus on Design Tools, Plasmid and Vector, Cas9 and G-RNA, & Delivery System Products -... - December 15th, 2021
- Building an entrepreneurial ecosystem is about a lot more than education and science funding - American Enterprise Institute - December 15th, 2021
- Q&A: Dr. Thomas Rando on preventing age-related diseases and turning discoveries into cures - UCLA Newsroom - December 12th, 2021
- Neoleukin Therapeutics Announces Preclinical Data Highlighting Activity of NL-201 in Hematologic Malignancies at 63rd American Society of Hematology... - December 12th, 2021
- Ten Problems with Embryonic Stem Cell Research | The ... - December 11th, 2021
- New stem cell identified for lung tissue regeneration ... - December 11th, 2021
- Harvard Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology ... - December 11th, 2021
- Stem Cells Australia | Australian research, stem cell ... - December 11th, 2021
- Research Assistant Stem Cell Project Job at The Florey Institute in Melbourne, Australia - The Conversation AU - December 11th, 2021
- Ethical issues cloud case report of unproven stem cell therapy for autism - Spectrum - December 11th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size 2021 Emerging Technologies, Global Regions with Industry Share Analysis, Gross Margin, Regional Demand and Forecast... - December 11th, 2021
- For children, young adults with recurrent AML, immunotherapy shows promise Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington... - December 11th, 2021
- UEA researchers reveal how immune cells use the bodys fat stores to fight infection - News-Medical.net - December 11th, 2021
- Sanford Health opens study of cell injections for arthritis - Sanford Health News - December 11th, 2021
- Cell types outside the pancreas make insulin, too, study shows - Yale News - December 11th, 2021