Maybe, in the last decades, you've heard from experts in stem cells that you must preserve a newborn's cord. But, why do they say this?
The main reason why experts in stem cells, like UnitedHealthcare Oxford, recommend banking the umbilical cord blood and amniotic fluid stem cells is the fact that these fluids contain a lot of stem cells.
This is very important because both types of stem cells can be used to treat many chronic diseases that, until a few years ago, were incurable or did not have an efficient treatment, such as cancer, blood and immune system diseases. It is very important because all these diseases can affect the body's capability to defend itself from subsequent damages or injuries, triggering a process of significant degeneration to the rest of the systems of the body.
At this point, it is very important to say that experts in the area have created different types of stem cells banks, including public cord banks, private cord banks and direct-donation banks.
The public stem cells banks have the huge pro that they don't charge for the storage, they only work with donations. However, they have the con that the stem cells stored in them can be used for any person who needs it (they are not reserved for the donor family). Likewise, stem cells stored in this type of banks can be used by the experts for research purposes.
On the other hand, private stem cells banks, also called commercial stem cells banks, have the pro that they will receive the stem cells and they will be stored to be used only if the donor, or a family member, needs them. However, this kind of banks have the con that they can be very expensive, so not everyone has the opportunity to pay the costs of processing the samples and the annual quota of storage.
Finally, direct-donation stem cells banks are a great combination of the previous two. These banks have the pro that they store the stem cells to be used for everyone who needs them, but they can also receive stem cells reserved for a specific family for no fees.
An important pro of stem cell banking is the fact that, from newborns cord blood and amniotic fluid, the experts can obtain 10 times more stem cells than from bone marrow aspiration. This fact is very important considering that some diseases require a huge amount of stem cells to be properly treated, so stem cells obtained from 1 bone marrow aspiration might not be enough.
Another important pro of cord blood and amniotic fluid stem cells is the fact that this kind of stem cells rarely carry any infectious disease and are less prone to trigger a rejection response than adult stem cells. In fact, a study published by Joanne Kurtzberg called A History of Cord Blood Banking and Transplantation shows that people who undergo a stem cell transplant have a lower chance of complications if the donor is a relative.
Likewise, obtaining cord blood stem cells is very easy. After the birth, the doctor will clamp and cut the umbilical cord (as it is normally done) and after that, he/she will insert a needle through an extreme of the umbilical cord to obtain 40 milliliters of blood (or more) that will be sealed, sent and processed in a specialized laboratory before banking it. As the blood is obtained from the umbilical cord after this is cut, it is a painless and non-invasive procedure neither for the mother nor the baby.
It is very important to highlight that one of the main cons of stem cells is the fact that, in some cases, even when the blood cord and amniotic fluid stem cells are properly stored, they can't be used when the disease that will be treated is caused by a genetic mutation, because the stem cells will have this mutation too.
Another con of blood cord and amniotic fluid stem cells banking is the fact that once they are stored, they can be used only during the next 15 years, so if a person develops a disease after this time, the stem cells will no longer be useful. This is the main reason why certain medical associations (such as The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and The American Academy of Pediatrics) only recommend the cord blood and amniotic fluid stem cells banking when a sibling or a parent of the newborn has a medical condition that can be treated or controlled with those stem cells, but not as a routine procedure.
It is very important to say that a con of amniotic fluid stem cells banking is that many researchers say that once that they are frozen, they die, so their storage is not recommended. However, this point is still very controversial, and more studies are needed.
Finally, the highest con of research with embryonic stem cells (ESCs) is still very controversial because they must be obtained from a human blastula (one of the earliest stages of human life with approximately 100 cells). After that, the cells are maintained in a laboratory or fertility clinic.
In conclusion, stem cells banking is still controversial, so only a qualified doctor can help you to make the best decision and determine the best type of bank for you and your family according to your particular needs.
See original here:
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Registering A CAGR Of 11.03% In The Forecast 2026||SMART CELLS PLUS, LifeCell International, Global Cord Blood... - April 14th, 2021
- Biobanking Market 2021 Trending Technologies, Development Plans, Future Growth and Geographical Regions to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - April 14th, 2021
- [Full text] Binding of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein | HMER - Dove Medical Press - April 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast (2019-2024) KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 10th, 2021
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Competitive Landscape, Analysis Report By Product, By Application, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts from 2021 To... - April 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 Impacts: Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR xx% Through 2021-2027 | Rising Technological Innovations to Boost Growth | ... - April 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio, etc. The Bisouv Network... - April 6th, 2021
- Episode 46: 3 ways to enhance the veterinary client experience - DVM 360 - April 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- CCBC, CBR,... - April 3rd, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to gain significant revenue in the Period of 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 30th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - March 30th, 2021
- Top Stem Cell Banks In India - March 29th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking for Dogs | Gallant - March 29th, 2021
- Amniotic stem cell bank - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking in India | Cord Blood Banking in India ... - March 29th, 2021
- STEM CELL BANKING Market To Witness Growth Acceleration During 2021 to 2027 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 29th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking - The World's First Cord Blood Bank - March 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Share & Size | Forecast By 2026 - March 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 Overview and Analysis, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Market Status and Forecast by Players, Regions to 2027 KSU | The... - March 24th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Enormous Growth Insights By 2026||Cells4Life Group LLP, Cryo-Cell International, Inc., Cryo-Save AG, Lifecell,... - March 24th, 2021
- TScan Therapeutics Appoints Katina Dorton, J.D., M.B.A., to Its Board of Directors - Business Wire - March 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking | FujiFilm Cellular Dynamics, Inc. - March 20th, 2021
- LifeCell Now Offers the Benefits of Community Banking to Extended Family Members - APN News - March 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Outlook, Opportunity and Demand Analysis, Forecast 2020-2027|-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company. Holostem... - March 20th, 2021
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Sana Biotechnology Announce License Agreement for the Development of iPSC-Derived Cell Therapies - GlobeNewswire - March 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2028 Cabell Standard - Cabell Standard - March 18th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Industry Study, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2027 The Courier - The... - March 18th, 2021
- From improving cancer treatments to saving the bees, these are the companies in IndieBios latest class - TechCrunch - March 18th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market (2021 to 2025) | Growing Application in Industry, Presents Opportunities and Demand Analysis, Growth, Size and Share ... - March 17th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking and Cold Storage | LifePlus Stem Cells - March 11th, 2021
- What Is Stem Cell Banking? | Future Health Biobank - March 11th, 2021
- Cell Processing - Cord Blood Banking - Product Portfolios - March 11th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Product, Application, End-Users and Region SoccerNurds -... - March 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Market Current Scenario Trends, Comprehensive Analysis and Regional Forecast to - PharmiWeb.com - March 7th, 2021
- Placental Stem Cell Therapy Market Massive Growth Digging New Opportunities By 2028 with Top Key Vendors: Lifebank Stem Cell Banking, Celularity,... - March 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Growth Graph To Demonstrate Inclination Towards Positive Axis By 2026| Zion Market Research - NeighborWebSJ - March 5th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2021 | Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 The Bisouv Network - The... - March 5th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2021 Growth, Industry Analysis, Top Competitors Players, Development, Investment and Global Forecast to 2025 The... - March 5th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to Observe Strong Development by 2025 with Major Companies SGS Life Sciences, Lonza, CCBC, Vcanbio, AMAG... - March 5th, 2021
- 2021-2026 Market Updates of Stem Cell Banking Business by Top Players, Types and Applications Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 23rd, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Corporation to Report Third Quarter and First Nine Months Fiscal 2021 Financial Results - WFMZ Allentown - February 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Impact on Stem Cell Banking Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 - Express... - February 23rd, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking Services Market projected to expand at a CAGR of 10.9% from 2019 to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 17th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Positive Outlook, Revenue Generation & Leading Manufacturers, Forecast 2026||Cells4Life Group LLP, Cryo-Cell... - February 17th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio, etc KSU | The Sentinel... - February 17th, 2021
- How Stem Cell Banking Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - February 17th, 2021
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020 Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Revenue and sales, Trends and Developments, Forecast by 2025 The Courier... - February 12th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking Market to Witness Significant Rise in Revenue During 2021-2027 - Technology Magazine - February 10th, 2021
- Global Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type, Application, Element Global Trends And Forecast To 2027||Thermo Fisher Scientific., Cellular... - February 5th, 2021
- Discover The Stem Cell Banking Industry Opportunities, Key Manufacturers and Outlook The Courier - The Courier - February 3rd, 2021
- Childhood leukaemia: Everything expectant parents need to know about blood cancer - TheHealthSite - February 3rd, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Overview and Analysis By BioLifeSolutions Inc., Lifeline Scientific, BioCision, Cesca Therapeutics, Inc., Core Dynamics,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact on Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020 Segmented by Application, End User, Mass, and Geography Growth, Trends Analysis and Forecast... - February 2nd, 2021
- Recent Advancement and Scope in Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) (COVID-19 Version) Market 2026 Overview by Key players- Advanced Cell Technology,... - January 28th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size Reflect Significant Growth Prospects and Competitive Outlook KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - January 28th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report And Predictive Business Strategy By 2027 | Industry Growth Insights Reviewindependent -... - January 28th, 2021
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Witness an Outstanding Growth and Strong Revenue and Forecast to 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 24th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Cordlife, Cryo-Cell... - January 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2026 Global Insights on Trends, Growth Drivers, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Macroeconomic Indicators, Growth Drivers, and... - January 19th, 2021
- What can you do with Cord Blood - The Hans India - January 19th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And Forecast To 2027 -... - January 19th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2019: Covering Competitive Scenario And Dynamics By Cells4Life Group LLP, Cryo-Cell International, Inc.,... - January 16th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 16th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Industry Report 2021 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - January 14th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Industry Report 2021: Industry Trends, Expansion Technologies, Profiles of Select Cord Blood Banks and Companies -... - January 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024 - NeighborWebSJ - January 14th, 2021
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Size 2021 By Analysis, Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - Jumbo News - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report is Projected to Witness Considerable Growth by 2026 | CCBC, CBR, ViaCord - SoccerNurds - January 14th, 2021
- Exclusive! Anita Hassanandani: Im super excited, cant wait for the baby to pop - Times of India - January 14th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market By Size, Share, Industry Trends, Top Trends, Market Drivers, Opportunities, Revenue, Type, Application Regional... - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - January 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size 2020: Application, Regional Outlook, Growth, Competitive Strategies Analysis and Forecasts To 2027 - The Monitor - December 25th, 2020
- At 14.6% CAGR, Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020 Industry Analysis of Current Trends and Opportun - PharmiWeb.com - December 18th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 Revenue Analysis and Growth Projections till 2027 - SpinazzolaLive - December 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with COVID 19 Impact Analysis and... - December 11th, 2020
- Upgrade: Future Demand and COVID-19 Impact analysis on the Stem Cell Banking Market - PharmiWeb.com - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 is predicted to rise with a CAGR of XX% by 2026 | Including Growth Prospect, Market Size & Growth, Key Vendors, Top... - December 6th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Growth, Segments, Revenue, Statistics, Busi - PharmiWeb.com - November 30th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter and First Half of Fiscal 2021 - PRNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020-2026- Business Insights, Trends and Key Drivers| CCBC, CBR, ViaCord - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020