During a 2018 home game against Washington State University, David Shaw, Stanford's football coach, ambled slowly along the sideline, his joints aching.
Wanting to focus on the players and the game, he kept the reason for his lethargy to himself. But two years later, this past Saturday, the sports world learned the full story.
A College GameDay feature on ESPN revealed that the morning before the game, Shaw had been given stem-cell-inducing medication at Stanford Hospital. It was a first step in donating the cells to his brother, Eric Shaw, who was fighting a rare form of lymphoma.
In the opening of the six-minute video, Shaw says he thought, "'God, I hope this works, 'cause if it doesn't, I'm going to lose my brother.'"
Eric Shaw began noticing strange dark patches on his skin in 2011, the year his older brother became Stanford's head football coach. They were everywhere, from head to foot. Later, small tumors popped up all over his body.
"I would have itching attacks where I would end up actually tearing my skin," he says in the video. "I would still scratch at night and end up with bloody arms and legs."
Eric Shaw transferred his medical care to the Stanford Cancer Center in 2013. There, physicians told the financial services marketing professional that he needed to start radiation treatment immediately. It worked, but only briefly: Six months later, the cancer returned.
He was diagnosed with mycosis fungoides, a T cell lymphoma that affects fewer than four in a million people in the United States.
Shaw's physicians began discussing bone marrow transplant. David Shaw was tested as a donor, but he scored only 5 on a 10-point match scale. A worldwide search found closer matches, and Eric Shaw underwent radiation and chemotherapy to prepare for the transplant.
One attempt failed, then another.
"You think you've kind of pulled at the last thread, and there are no more threads, and all I could tell him was that I loved him and that I was there for him," David Shaw says in the video.
But the Stanford physicians had one last weapon: a haploidentical transplant. The recently developed technique uses stem cells, typically from a family member, that are less than a perfect match.
David Shaw underwent a five-day-long process at Stanford Hospital to donate the cells. He received medication that caused him to produce an abundance of stem cells, then gave blood from which the cells were extracted. Those cells were then transplanted into his brother.
This time, it worked.
After 52 days at Stanford Hospital, Eric Shaw finally went home on Nov. 25, 2018. The video shows him being wheeled out as medical staff members cheer him on.
Youn Kim, MD, who treated Eric and heads Stanford's multidisciplinary Cutaneous Lymphoma Clinic/Program, told ESPN: "If he didn't go for this risk, he wouldn't be here...He wouldn't be living."
As the article notes, Stanford physicians Wen-Kai Weng, MD, PhD, and Michael Khodadoust, MD, PhD, also were on the team treating Eric Shaw.
Today, nearly two years later, he remains cancer-free.
"Seven years of battling this disease, and it was over," he says in the video, tears running down his face. "A miracle."
David Shaw shares his brother's joy. As he told ESPN: "Every time I see him, I just smile, you know? Because he gets to be here."
Images of Eric Shaw, left, taken earlier this month, and his brother David Shaw, courtesy of the Shaw family, and Stanford Athletics
- New Drug Could Improve Effectiveness of Stem Cell Therapy - Pain News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Hematologist/Stem Cell Biologist to Direct Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Cedars-Sinai - Newswise - December 1st, 2020
- Experimental stem cell gene therapy may give a new lease of life for patient with sickle cell disease - News-Medical.Net - December 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Updates: The Latest Treatments and Vaccines - GovTech - December 1st, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 1st, 2020
- ONLINE: The UW Now - Isthmus - December 1st, 2020
- Exploring the Challenges and Opportunities of Harvesting CTCs - Technology Networks - December 1st, 2020
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on MB-106 for the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - GlobeNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- Celularity Announces Positive DMC Safety Review and Continuation of its Phase I/II CYNK-001-COVID-19 (CYNKCOVID) Study - PRNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- COVID-19 patients on some cancer therapies may be contagious for months: study - Reuters - December 1st, 2020
- Gain Therapeutics and University of Maryland School of Medicine Announce Research Collaboration - GlobeNewswire - December 1st, 2020
- Telix Pharmaceuticals Limited Acquires TheraPharm GmbH, Broadening Reach to Hematologic Cancers and Transplant Medicine - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatments and vaccines. Here are the latest developments - San Francisco Chronicle - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Research Report: Industrial Chain, Sourcing Strategy and Downstream Buyers with Forecast 2026 - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell (hESC) Market Research Report 2020 with Manufacturing Process Analysis and Market Concentration Rate till 2026 - The Market... - November 30th, 2020
- Government of Canada and JDRF Canada announce new research funding to accelerate stem cell-based therapies for type 1 diabetes - Philippine Canadian... - November 30th, 2020
- California's stem cell research agency looks to the future - Bond Buyer - November 26th, 2020
- Scientists Reveal a New Drug That Directs Stem Cells To Desired Sites - Science Times - November 26th, 2020
- Growing Value of Stem Cells in Medicine to Create a US$2,4 Billion Opportunity for Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell ((iPSC) - GlobeNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Celularity Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase I Study of Human Placental Hematopoietic Stem Cell-Derived Natural Killer Cells (CYNK-001) in... - November 26th, 2020
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 26th, 2020
- 'The hope is that is works': Coliseum participates in clinical trial for COVID-19 recovery - wgxa.tv - November 26th, 2020
- Growing at an annualized rate of over 16.5%, the cell therapy manufacturing market is estimated to reach close to USD 11 Billion by 2030, claims Roots... - November 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Novel CAR T-cell therapy shows promising early results in children with neuroblastoma - News-Medical.Net - November 26th, 2020
- Our turbulent debates on medicine and morals - The Irish Catholic - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of COVID 19 on Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Detailed Research Study 2020-2027 | Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation,... - November 26th, 2020
- Novartis Invests in Stem Cell Therapy for Covid - BloombergQuint - November 20th, 2020
- California's Stem Cell Agency Will Get A Funding Boost From Prop 14. Here's A Look At Its History. - Capital Public Radio News - November 20th, 2020
- Fred Hutch at ASH: Fauci fireside chat, latest on cell therapies, repairing immune function, COVID and clots and more - Newswise - November 20th, 2020
- Study reveals how smoking worsens SARS-CoV-2 infection in the airways - UCLA Newsroom - November 20th, 2020
- SEE | Smoking worsens Covid-19 infection in the airways, new study reveals - Health24 - November 20th, 2020
- In a First, Scientists Say They've Partially Reversed a Cellular Aging Process in Humans - ScienceAlert - November 20th, 2020
- ExCellThera to establish stem cell bioproduction facility creating up to 150 jobs thanks to Government of Canada support - Canada NewsWire - November 16th, 2020
- Athersys Announces Three Appointments to Board of Directors - Business Wire - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future: GE Healthcare, Promega Corporation, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA, Cell... - November 16th, 2020
- Meeting Agenda Focuses on Increased Applications of Cellular Therapies in Hematologic Cancers - Targeted Oncology - November 16th, 2020
- Leading Human Immunology and Infectious Disease Experts to Join UM School of Medicines Institute of Human Virology - Newswise - November 16th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows promise in treating COVID-19 - The Pharma Letter - November 11th, 2020
- FibroGenesis Announces the Filing of its 250th Patent for Fibroblast Cell Therapy Platform - PRNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Angiocrine Bioscience Announces FDA Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation Granted to AB-205 (Universal E-CEL Cell Therapy) to... - November 11th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Markets, 2020-2025 - Growing Adoption of High-Content Screening Techniques in Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance UK - November 11th, 2020
- Protective protein could help keep blood young and healthy - New Atlas - November 10th, 2020
- Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2025 - Featuring Allergan, Amgen and Baxter International Among Others - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2020
- Dr. Braunschweig on Selecting Between Transplant and CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - November 8th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2020 to 2025) - Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 8th, 2020
- Editas Medicine Announces Third Quarter 2020 Results and Update - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2020
- Using telehealth to boost treatment for substance-use disorder - American Medical Association - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Monitoring Growth Opportunities 2024 - Aerospace Journal - November 4th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Stem Cells Market Forecast Revised in a New FMI Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2019 - KYT24 - November 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Zenit News - November 4th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Cartilage Degeneration Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Procedure Type ; Application ; and End User and... - November 4th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Amniotic Membrane Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Enzyme ; Application ; End User, and Country -... - November 4th, 2020
- Minaris Regenerative Medicine to Significantly Expand Manufacturing Capacity for Cell and Gene Therapies in Germany and Japan - b3c newswire - November 2nd, 2020
- What Are the Treatment Options When Lymphoma Returns? - SurvivorNet - November 2nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market: High Demand for Stem Cell Therapies to Trigger Growth of the Market - BioSpace - November 2nd, 2020
- How pain changes your brain - News - The University of Sydney - November 2nd, 2020
- Optimal Health: Cutting Edge Restorative Treatments Cityview - Knoxville City View - November 2nd, 2020
- New screening tool could turn up genes tied to developmental disorders - STAT - October 31st, 2020
- Outlook on the Regenerative Medicine Global Market to 2025 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Market - GlobeNewswire - October 31st, 2020
- Opinion: Proposition 14 Could Save the Life of Someone You Love - Times of San Diego - October 31st, 2020
- "Training" the immune system with -glucan compound may improve immune recovery - News-Medical.Net - October 31st, 2020
- Angelika Amon, cell biologist who pioneered research on chromosome imbalance, dies at 53 - MIT News - October 31st, 2020
- Novartis expands Kymriah manufacturing footprint with first-ever approved site for commercial CAR-T cell therapy manufacturing in Asia - GlobeNewswire - October 31st, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and Forecast... - October 29th, 2020
- Ways to cash in on regenerative medicine - The Australian Financial Review - October 29th, 2020
- We can't stand idly by: Vote 'yes' on Prop. 14 for stem cell research - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 29th, 2020
- Grant programs will provide $2.2 million to support biomedical research on healthy aging - News-Medical.Net - October 29th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Insight | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth... - October 29th, 2020
- Baby Gets Early Stem Cell Transplant to Treat Rare Disease Thanks to Newborn Screening - University of Michigan Health System News - October 28th, 2020
- Exclusive: "Ending Disease" Documentary Explores How Stem Cell Therapy Aims to Cure the Incurable - Prevention.com - October 28th, 2020
- A New Piece Added to the Pituitary Gland Puzzle Revises Evolutionary History - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Proposition 14 Aims to Keep California at Worldwide Center of Stem Cell Research - Times of San Diego - October 18th, 2020
- Should California invest $5.5 billion more into promising stem cell research? - The Mercury News - October 14th, 2020
- Singapore invents digitized optimization of culture conditions for cell therapy - BSA bureau - October 14th, 2020
- Pluristem Announces Clearance to Move Forward with Enrollment for Cohort II in an Investigator-Led Phase I/II Chronic Graft vs Host Disease... - October 14th, 2020
- Marcus Neuroscience Institute names Khalid A. Hanafy, M.D., Ph.D., Medical Director of Neurocritical Care and Research - Baptist Health South Florida - October 14th, 2020
- Fact check: Trump's antibody therapy not made from fetal stem cells but fetal-derived cells used during testing - USA TODAY - October 12th, 2020
- Brain organoids reveal neuronal flaws in syndrome tied to autism - Spectrum - October 12th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - PRNewswire - October 12th, 2020