Cancers ability to resist chemotherapy has been a roadblock to achieving lasting remissions or cures. Scientists have believed that unique genetic mutations in tumors may be to blame for drug resistance. However, they are starting to look at nongenetic changes in cancer cells to explain their adaptability. An example of this is cancers ability to change its identity. A prostate cancer cell that is sensitive to hormone-blocking therapy might change into a cell type that does not require the hormone for its growth. This heterogeneity creates obstacles for treatment, since a single drug is unlikely to work against so many different cell types.
Now, a team of researchers at the Sloan Kettering Institute (SKI), the Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT, and the Klarman Cell Observatory at the Broad Institute have discovered that this tumor heterogeneity can be traced back to a common source: a particularly flexible cell state that is characteristic of a subset of cells in a tumor and can generate many other diverse cell types.
Their study, Emergence of a High-Plasticity Cell State during Lung Cancer Evolution, is published in Cancer Cell and led by Tuomas Tammela, MD, PhD, an assistant member in the cancer biology and genetics program at SKI.
The high-plasticity cell state is the starting point for much of the heterogeneity we see in tumors, stated Tammela. Its kind of like a busy intersection of many roads: Wherever a cell wants to end up identity-wise, it has to go through this cell state.
Tumor evolution from a single cell into a malignant, heterogeneous tissue remains poorly understood. Here, we profile single-cell transcriptomes of genetically engineered mouse lung tumors at seven stages, from pre-neoplastic hyperplasia to adenocarcinoma, the researchers wrote.
This highly plastic cell state is something completely new, stated Jason Chan, MD, PhD, a physician-scientist doing a fellowship in the Tammela lab and one of the papers lead authors. When we saw it, we didnt know what it was because it was so different. It didnt look like normal lung cells where the cancer came from, and it didnt really look like lung cancer either. It had features of embryonic germ layer stem cells, cartilage stem cells, and even kidney cells, all mixed together.
The researchers observed these cells in every tumor they examined and identified these highly plastic cells by single cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-Seq). By performing scRNA-Seq on tumors as they grew over time, the researchers were able to observe when and how different cell types emerged over the course of a tumors evolution. From these data, the researchers were able to create a kind of map of which cells came from which other cells.
The map contains major highways and little dirt roads, Tammela explained. The high-plasticity cell state that we identified sits right in the middle of the map. It has a lot of paths coming in, and it has even more paths coming out.
This high-plasticity cell state emerged consistently in a tumors evolution and persisted throughout its growth.
Stem cells play important roles in embryonic development and in tissue repair. Many scientists think that cancers arise from specific cancer stem cells. But Tammela and colleagues do not think these high-plasticity cells are stem cells. Unlike stem cells, the cells are not present at the very beginning of a tumors growth, and emerge later.
When we compare the gene expression signature of these highly plastic cells to normal stem cells or known cancer stem cells, the signatures dont match at all. They look completely different, he said.
Cancer cells progressively adopt alternate lineage identities, computationally predicted to be mediated through a common transitional, high-plasticity cell state (HPCS). Accordingly, HPCS cells prospectively isolated from mouse tumors and human patient-derived xenografts display high capacity for differentiation and proliferation. The HPCS program is associated with poor survival across human cancers and demonstrates chemoresistance in mice. Our study reveals a central principle underpinning intra-tumoral heterogeneity and motivates therapeutic targeting of the HPCS, noted the researchers.
Our model could explain why certain cancer cells are resistant to therapy and dont have a genetic basis for that resistance that we can identify, Chan stated.
Chan also explained it is not all the cells in the tumor that are adapting, but a subset of the cancer cells that are just more malleable.
The researchers believe it may be possible to avert the emergence of resistance and provide lasting remission by combining chemotherapy drugs with new medications that target these highly plastic cells.
Read more here:
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Patenting Stem Cell Inventions in India- What to Expect? - Lexology - September 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market will Hit Big Revenues in Future | COVID19 Unlock opportunities - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Novel discovery could lead to stem cell-based treatment for heart failure - News-Medical.Net - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 11th, 2020
- Development Trends and Financial Analysis of Stem Cell Assay Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- School of Science grows by 10 - MIT News - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Fuel Revenues Through 2020 Lake Shore Gazette - Lake Shore Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 8th, 2020
- Live-cell imaging and analysis reveal cell phenotypic transition dynamics inherently missing in snapshot data - Science Advances - September 8th, 2020
- An ancient virus might have made our hearts bigger - Scope - Scope - September 8th, 2020
- How Groups of Cells Cooperate to Build Organs and Organisms - The Scientist - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists create embryonic stem cells without destroying ... - August 29th, 2020
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells | USCCB - August 29th, 2020
- Foetal cells are used to make the Oxford coronavirus vaccine. But they came from a foetus in 1973 - ABC News - August 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Galus Australis - August 29th, 2020
- Translational Regenerative Medicines Market: Which Region Will Register Higher CAGR? 2017-2026 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market 2020 (Covid-19 Impact) In-depth Industry Analysis By Types, Applications and Forecast 2026: Celgene, Cynata,... - August 27th, 2020
- Pro-life groups applaud Trump administration advisory board for rejecting fetal tissue research proposals - Christianity Daily - August 27th, 2020
- Global regenerative medicine market size was USD 23841.5 Million in 2018 and is Projected to Reach USD 151949.5 Million by 2026, Exhibiting a CAGR of... - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market- By Type, Component, Industry, Region Market Size, Demand Forecasts, Company Profiles, Industry Trends and... - August 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ron Evans steals a trick from I/O, and points the way to a transformational diabetes therapy - Endpoints News - August 20th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Stockhouse - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 19th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 16th, 2020
- What Are the Five Warning Signs of Testicular Cancer? - MedicineNet - August 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- New Study Presents Cell-based Therapy for MN Diseases or Spinal Cord Disorders - Mirage News - August 11th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 11th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR The Strand - Strand - August 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime -... - July 30th, 2020
- Waveguide Combiners & Dividers Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 30th, 2020
- Expanded encyclopaedias of DNA elements in the human and mouse genomes - Nature.com - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- New model may explain why certain cancer cells are resistant to therapy - News-Medical.Net - July 30th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020 Report Forecast By Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview - Express Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 24th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 24th, 2020
- What's next for Tony Fauci, if the White House continues to sour on him? - STAT - July 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020-2026 | Comprehensive Study of COVID-19 Impact | Worldwide Key Players: Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 14th, 2020
- Turning off junk DNA may free stem cells to become neurons - National Institutes of Health - July 14th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - Space.com - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Growth, Size, Opportunities and Analysis Forecast 2020 - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- What Miniature Lab-Grown Brains Reveal About the Effects of Covid-19 - OneZero - July 14th, 2020
- Transdermal Testosterone Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Stem Cells Market Study 2018-2028 Segmented On The Basis of Product Type, Geographical Analysis, Future Forecast,... - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by BioLife Solutions, Akron Biotechnology, GE... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and Forecast 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Human CNS barrier-forming organoids with cerebrospinal fluid production - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 10th, 2020
- Network Traffic Analyzer Market Size 2020 Global Industry Insights, Share, Growth, Trend, Demand, Top Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 10th, 2020