(Family Features) Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is the most common type of kidney cancer and is twice as common in men compared to women. This year, it is estimated that RCC will account for more than 12,000 deaths in the United States alone. In some cases, patients are not diagnosed with RCC until the cancer reaches advanced stages, which can make the disease particularly hard to treat. Common signs and symptoms of RCC can include blood in urine, lower back pain on one side, a mass on the side or lower back, loss of appetite or unexplained weight loss.
When John Gibson, a Bristol Myers Squibb patient ambassador, found blood in his urine, he saw a urologist for an examination. What came next turned out to be the biggest challenge of his life: advanced RCC.
Under the direction of his oncologist, Gibson began a clinical trial treatment with a combination of two immunotherapies,Opdivo (nivolumab) plusYervoy (ipilimumab), which are prescription medications approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat advanced RCC in certain people when their cancer has spread. It is not known ifOpdivois safe and effective in children younger than 18 years of age.Opdivo(10 mg/mL) andYervoy(5 mg/mL) are injections for intravenous use.
OpdivoandYervoycan cause problems that can sometimes become serious or life-threatening and can lead to death. Serious side effects may include lung problems; intestinal problems; liver problems; hormone gland problems; kidney problems; skin problems; eye problems; problems in other organs and tissues; severe infusion reactions; and complications of stem cell transplant, including graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), that uses donor stem cells (allogeneic). Call or see your health care provider right away for any new or worsening signs or symptoms. Please see additional Important Safety Information below.
A Chance to Live Longer with Advanced RCC
In a clinical trial of 847 previously untreated patients with kidney cancer that has spread and with one or more risk factors, 425 patients received treatment withthe immunotherapy combinationof Opdivo+Yervoy, and 422 patients received sunitinib. The clinical trial looked at results such as tumor shrinkage, reduction in risk of death and length of time without tumors worsening.
In the primary analysis at two years, half of the patients on sunitinib were alive at 25.9 months compared to more than half being alive on Opdivo + Yervoy. Opdivo + Yervoy was proven to lower the risk of dying by 37% compared to sunitinib. Patients treated with Opdivo + Yervoy lived 11.6 months without the cancer spreading, growing or getting worse versus 8.4 months withsunitinib; however, there was no meaningful difference between the two treatments.
At the two-year time point, 41.6% of patients treated with Opdivo + Yervoy (95% CI:36.9-46.5) responded to treatment (n=177/425) versus 26.5% (n=112/422) of those treated with sunitinib (95% CI:22.4-31.0). Partial tumor shrinkage occurred in 32.2% of the patients treated with this immunotherapy combination compared to 25.4% of those treated with sunitinib. Tumors disappeared completely in 9.4% of patients treated withthis immunotherapy combinationversus in 1.2% of patients treated withsunitinib. The disappearance of any measurable tumors in response to treatment does not necessarily mean the cancer has been cured. Opdivo + Yervoy will not work for everyone. Individual results may vary.
Five-year follow-up data from this trial showed the potential for durable long-term survival in certain patients with advanced RCC. In a follow-up analysis at five years, 43% of patients treated withthe immunotherapy combination were still alive versus 31 % treated withsunitinib.
At five years, 42.1% of patients treated withthis immunotherapy combinationhad a response to treatment (n=179/425) versus 26.8% of those treated withsunitinib(n=113/422). In 30.8% of the patients treated, their tumors shrank partially, compared to 24.6% of those treated withsunitinib, and tumors disappeared completely in 11.3% of patients compared to 2.1% of those treated with sunitinib. The disappearance of any measurable tumors in response to treatment does not necessarily mean the cancer has been cured.
At five years, the most frequent serious adverse reactions reported in >2% of patients were diarrhea, pyrexia, pneumonia, pneumonitis, hypophysitis, acute kidney injury, dyspnea, adrenal insufficiency, and colitis. The most common adverse reaction reported in at least 20% of patients treated with the immunotherapy were fatigue, rash, diarrhea, musculoskeletal pain, pruritis, nausea, cough, pyrexia, arthralgia, decreased appetite, dyspnea, and vomiting.
The most common side effects of Opdivo, when used in combination with Yervoy, include: feeling tired; diarrhea; rash; itching; nausea; pain in muscles, bones, and joints; fever; cough; decreased appetite; vomiting; stomach-area (abdominal) pain; shortness of breath; upper respiratory tract infection; headache; low thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism); decreased weight; and dizziness.
Gibson knows the importance of focusing on the road ahead. His tumors started to shrink while on treatment with Opdivo + Yervoy, however, his results may not be typical as it will not work for everyone.
Today, Gibson is grateful for where he is now. To those facing a cancer diagnosis, Gibson recommends finding a care team that matches your goals, and make sure you follow their instructions along the way.
To learn more, visit Opdivo.com .
Source: Bristol Myers Squibb
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
OPDIVO (nivolumab) is a prescription medicine used in combination with YERVOY (ipilimumab) to treat people with kidney cancer in certain people when their cancer has spread (advanced renal cell carcinoma) and you have not already had treatment for your advanced RCC.
It is not known if OPDIVO is safe and effective in children younger than 18 years of age.
ImportantSafetyInformationforOPDIVO(nivolumab) + YERVOY (ipilimumab)
What is the most important information I should know about OPDIVO + YERVOY?OPDIVO and YERVOY are medicines that may treat certain cancers by working with your immune system. OPDIVO and YERVOYcan cause your immune system to attack normal organs and tissues in any area of your body and can affect the way they work. These problems can sometimes become severe or life-threatening and can lead to death. These problems may happen anytime during treatment or even after your treatment has ended. You may have more than one of these problems at the same time.Some of these problems may happen more often when OPDIVO is used in combination with another therapy.
Call or see your health care provider right away if you develop any new or worse signs or symptoms, including:
Problems can also happen in other organs and tissues. These are not all of the signs and symptoms of immune system problems that can happen with OPDIVOand YERVOY. Call or see your health care provider right away for any new or worsening signs or symptoms, which may include
Getting medical help right away may help keep these problems from becoming more serious.Your health care team will check you for these problems during treatment and may treat you with corticosteroid or hormone replacement medicines. Your health care team may also need to delay or completely stop your treatment if you have severe side effects.
Possible side effects of OPDIVO + YERVOYOPDIVOand OPDIVO + YERVOY can cause serious side effects, including:
The most common side effects of OPDIVO, when used in combination with YERVOY, include: feeling tired; diarrhea; rash; itching; nausea; pain in muscles, bones, and joints; fever; cough; decreased appetite; vomiting; stomach-area (abdominal) pain; shortness of breath; upper respiratory tract infection; headache; low thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism); constipation; decreased weight; and dizziness.
These are not all the possible side effects. For more information, ask your health care provider or pharmacist. You are encouraged to report side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Before receiving OPDIVO or YERVOY, tell your health care provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
Females who are able to become pregnant:Your health care provider should do a pregnancy test before you start receiving OPDIVO or YERVOY.
Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Please see U.S. Full Prescribing Information and Medication Guide for OPDIVO and YERVOY.
Continue reading here:
- University of Michigan Stem Cell Research | Frequently ... - November 30th, 2021
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Centre for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine job with KINGS COLLEGE LONDON | 273388 - Times Higher Education... - November 30th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy potentially could treat Type 1 diabetes by helping patients produce insulin - USA TODAY - November 30th, 2021
- UCLA Broad Stem Cell Research Center receives $5 million ... - November 30th, 2021
- ReproCELL Incorporated : Everything you need to know about the REPROCELL iPSC Biobank - marketscreener.com - November 30th, 2021
- Cell therapy biotech Quell adds $156M for alternative to organ transplant meds - MedCity News - November 30th, 2021
- New nanochip reprograms cells in the body to perform different functions - New Atlas - November 30th, 2021
- Inside the Innovative Lab Growing Mammal Tissue Using Plants as Scaffolds - Smithsonian - November 30th, 2021
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces the Presentation of New Analyses from the Phase 3 Trial of NurOwn in ALS at the 4th Annual ALS ONE Research... - November 30th, 2021
- 'Sleeping' cancer cells explain why childhood leukaemia returns after years of treatment - The Institute of Cancer Research, London - The Institute of... - November 30th, 2021
- 10 rare cancers: Symptoms, treatment, and more - Medical News Today - November 30th, 2021
- Heart repair and regeneration after a heart attack a review - The Mix - November 30th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - StreetInsider.com - November 27th, 2021
- How the CGT Catapult plans to bridge the gap between scientific research and commercialisation - The Scotsman - November 27th, 2021
- Global $512M+ Exosome Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, 2026 | Featuring Profiles of Codiak Biosciences, Evox Therapeutics, Exosome Diagnostics,... - November 27th, 2021
- Discovering a new gene in monkeys that could help to develop new antivirals - News-Medical.net - November 27th, 2021
- 2nd Person May Be Naturally 'Cured' of HIV: What Science Is Learning - Healthline - November 27th, 2021
- Research Roundup: Masking Cuts COVID-19 Risk in Half and More Research News - BioSpace - November 27th, 2021
- Stem Cell Research Facts - November 24th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Covid vaccine: Stem cell transplant patients who must be completely re-vaccinated struggling to book jabs - iNews - November 24th, 2021
- Amity University partners with top US varsities for academics and research - Telegraph India - November 24th, 2021
- AML relapse: Definition, statistics, and treatment options - Medical News Today - November 24th, 2021
- Its too late for me but please help others with cancer - Melton Times - November 22nd, 2021
- Research Developments in the Treatment of Advanced Kidney Cancer - The Apopka Voice - November 22nd, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- California Proposition 14, Stem Cell Research Institute ... - November 22nd, 2021
- Theres Something Neurological Going On, COVID Could Cause Depression And Anxiety, Researchers Say - CBS Baltimore - November 22nd, 2021
- Exosome Diagnostics and Therapeutics: Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - November 22nd, 2021
- Flying cars and floating cities these 8 radical designs predict our imminent future - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News - November 22nd, 2021
- Researchers discover new type of cell that may help regulate heart rate - News-Medical.net - November 22nd, 2021
- The Promise of Stem Cells to Help Children with Autism - Entrepreneur - November 21st, 2021
- Stem cell transplants without chemo and radiation first? - Futurity: Research News - November 16th, 2021
- Unregulated Stem Cell Clinics Endanger Patients And Limit Research - Forbes - November 16th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $ ~41.45 billion by 2031 - Market Size, Share, Forecasts and Trends Analysis Report with COVID-19 Impact by... - November 16th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Reduces Need for Nearly 10% of Hip Replacements - Yale School of Medicine - November 16th, 2021
- Overlooked DNA may be what separates humans from other primates study - The Jerusalem Post - November 16th, 2021
- In-depth Research on Cancer Stem Cell Market Forecast Estimation & Approach 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, AbbVie, Merck KGaA, Bionomics,... - November 16th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Cumulative Impact for COVID-19 Recovery Research Report 2021 | Takeda Pharmaceutical, JCR Pharmaceutical,... - November 16th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2027|Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - November 16th, 2021
- Hoth Therapeutics Announces a Sponsored Research Agreement to Further Develop Novel mRNA Cancer Therapeutic HT-KIT - Yahoo Finance - November 16th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size Is Projected to Reach $6.35 Billion by 2028 | CAGR: 6.5% : Polaris Market Research - PRNewswire - November 16th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Tyler Morning Telegraph - November 16th, 2021
- $2.26 million in grants will support biomedic - EurekAlert - November 16th, 2021
- What science knows about stem cells and what it predicts in the future | CoFounder - CoFounder Magazine - November 11th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Research Collaboration with AVROBIO to Evaluate JSP191 as Conditioning Agent in Clinical Studies of Ex Vivo Lentiviral... - November 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2021 Detailed Analysis of top Ventures with Regional Outlook | Key Companies: Osiris Therapeutics,... - November 11th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Market Insightful Research Report: Business Growth, Development Factors, Current and Future Trends and... - November 11th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - The Bakersfield Californian - November 11th, 2021
- 2021 Boston Investment Conference Marks Decade of Helping Fund Critical Research at Boston Childrens Hospital - Yahoo Finance - November 11th, 2021
- Yale researchers develop RNA-based therapy that clears SARS-CoV-2 from mice - EurekAlert - November 11th, 2021
- Critical Link Discovered Between Dietary Fat and the Spread of Cancer - SciTechDaily - November 11th, 2021
- Opinion | How Covid Raised the Stakes of the War Between Faith and Science - The New York Times - November 11th, 2021
- EdiGene to Present Latest Research on A Novel Surface Marker and Migration of Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) That Could Enhance HSC Gene Therapy and... - November 5th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics to Present at the 63rd American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting and Host Virtual Research & Development Update - Yahoo... - November 5th, 2021
- City of Hope Doctors Present New Research on Cancer Immunotherapies - Business Wire - November 5th, 2021
- Mini-brain model of frontotemporal dementia demonstrates the stages of dysfunction that lead to cell death - National Institute on Aging - November 5th, 2021
- Intestinal Organoids and Their Role in Tissue Engineering - Technology Networks - November 5th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter Financial Results and Program Highlights - Business Wire - November 5th, 2021
- Researchers generate and characterize the hepatic organoid culture system - News-Medical.net - November 3rd, 2021
- A major research project to advance regenerative therapy for epidermolysis bullosa (EB) using transgenic stem cells - PR Web - November 3rd, 2021
- Canada Biobanks Markets, Analysis & Forecasts, 2016-2020 & 2021-2026 - Increased Research and Technological Advancement in Genomic Studies -... - November 3rd, 2021
- Study paves the way for a better understanding of muscle injury - News-Medical.Net - November 3rd, 2021
- Lab-Growing Everything Might Be The Only Way To Attain A Sustainable World - Intelligent Living - November 3rd, 2021
- What is Stem Cell Research? | The Benefits of Stem Cell ... - October 26th, 2021
- New Treatments and Tips for Dealing With Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - October 26th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Cumulative Impact for COVID-19 Recovery Research Report 2021 | Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, Takeda... - October 25th, 2021
- Skroot Laboratory, Inc. Joins Cell Manufacturing Research Initiative to Further Advance Cell Therapy Discovery - KOLO - October 23rd, 2021
- New GBM research pipeline and being glad - Brain Tumour Research - October 23rd, 2021
- Excellent Growth of Cell Separation Technology Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation and Key Players GE, BD, Terumo, Merck, Thermo Fisher | Forecast... - October 23rd, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff -... - October 21st, 2021
- What Makes Us Human? The Answer May Be Found in Overlooked Junk DNA - SciTechDaily - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market SWOT Analysis, Key Indicators, Forecast 2027 | Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. (South Korea), Osiris... - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Shaping Tomorrow with Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. (South Korea), Osiris Therapeutics Puck77 -... - October 21st, 2021
- Liu receives Catalyst Award from the National Institutes of Health agency - Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Financial Highlights Analysis with Top Key Players: Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. (South Korea),... - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2025 Size, Key Companies, Trends, Growth And Regional Forecasts Research | Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co.,... - October 21st, 2021
- Scientists use human-derived brain cells to develop more realistic 'disease-in-a-dish' models of Alzheimer's - National Institute on Aging - October 21st, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 17th, 2021
- Research Roundup: T-Cell Immune Response to COVID-19 Vaccines and More - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021