Gary Gillin still might need a new knee.
But before that, he needed treatment on his ankle.
I may need a knee replacement at some point,but until I get this foot stabilized, I really cant see rehabbing my knee on a bad foot, he added.
Diagnosed with Haglunds deformity, a condition where an enlarged heel irritates the Achilles tendon, Gillin has battled chronic knee and ankle pain for years.
Ive got an Achilles tendon thats pretty well irritated, angry and sore, he said.
Relief for joint pain: Consult with Sanford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
Gillin said the pain has progressively worsened in the past five to six years, and something needed to be done.
He didnt want surgery. Not because of the procedure, but because of the recovery.
The recovery time is anywhere from six to eight months, to a year. So, I wanted to look at something that was nonsurgical, and something that might help the Achilles heal faster, he said.
Thats when he heard about PRP or platelet-rich plasma treatment from Tiffany Facile, his daughter and the clinical director of regenerative medicine atSanford Health. PRP is a form of orthobiologic treatment that uses stem cell therapy to help heal injuries.
PRP treatment takes plasma from an area of a patients body, and is then injected back into the current site of injury.
When asked what was going through his mind when he learned of this treatment, Gillin responded, anything to reduce the pain.
If youd see me walk on certain days, Id almost have to club around with like a club foot. Its that painful. So, I was looking forsome kind of relief for the ankle that would be nonsurgical, he said.
Gillin said he felt comfortable with the procedure, despite it being a relatively new concept to him. Plus, he said he was truly using his own resources to fight the injury. There wasnt anything foreign being put into his body.
It was not a real scary process because its already in my body. And, if it can rejuvenate that Achilles and make it less painful, the journey wasnt too serious.
The actual procedure itself was great. I mean, there theres a little discomfort when they numb, but the whole process went very smoothly. I had no pain pills afterwards, I didnt need anything, and I was very pleased with the way that worked out, said Gillin.
Right now, Gillin is still in a walking boot, so he still isnt doing too much walking. Despite that, he said he can already tell a difference in how he feels.
Its been about 25 days of pretty much living in the boot. I dont feel the pain at all while in the boot, which surprises me because before that I could feel the pain just sitting in a chair.
So, Im hoping that weve got some relief, and itll be a long-term thing, so we can kind of move on to normal life again, he said.
Related: Sanford named top orthopedics hospital in S.D.
Hes most looking forward to simply being more mobile.
And, giving his wife a break from yard duties.
My wifes pretty much taken over the lawn mowing jobs and all that kind of stuff. I like to be active, and I would just like to return to that kind of a normal life.
Gillin has talked to many specialists about treatment options.
He said none listened to him, or offered him the options the way Sanford Healthhas.
And, if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation as Gillin, hed encourage them to seek care at Sanford.
Id highly recommend it.I often heard from the orthopedics that I saw, surgery, surgery, surgery. But, nobody ever talked to me about what other options are there out there that I should try.
It made sense to me when I finally made connections with my daughter talking about this process, that its something to try before you jump into surgery.
Posted In Orthopedics, Research, Specialty Care
Continue reading here:
- Issue: Cell Stem Cell - August 2nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy & Alternative Medicine in Mexico ... - August 2nd, 2021
- Fetal Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - August 2nd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy - SlideShare - August 2nd, 2021
- Essent Biologics Launches Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells For ... - August 2nd, 2021
- From Cells to Organs: The Present and Future of Regenerative Medicine - DocWire News - August 2nd, 2021
- USC Stem Cell scientists explore the latent regenerative potential of the inner ear - USC News - August 2nd, 2021
- Refining epilepsy treatment with brain organoids and AI - Monash University - August 2nd, 2021
- Astellas and Minovia link up on mitochondrial cell therapy programs - The Pharma Letter - August 2nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Scientists Explore the Latent Regenerative Potential of the Inner Ear - SciTechDaily - July 31st, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - July 31st, 2021
- The Talking Man: New Advances In Regenerative Medicine - Forbes - July 31st, 2021
- Medipost's clinical trial approved to evaluate efficacy of knee osteoarthritis treatment - Aju Business Daily - July 31st, 2021
- A Phase II Study of Polatuzumab Vedotin with Rituximab, Ifosfamide, Carboplatin, and Etoposide Before Stem Cell Transplantation in People with... - July 31st, 2021
- Background should not be a barrier to access stem cell transplant treatment and care - PoliticsHome - July 31st, 2021
- Treatment Approaches for Patients With R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - July 31st, 2021
- Global $57.4 Billion Cell And Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market to 2028 - Rising Pressure on Drug Developers/Manufacturers to Meet the Growing Market... - July 31st, 2021
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia Fungal Infections: Types and Treatment - Healthline - July 31st, 2021
- Overview of DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - July 31st, 2021
- Roundtable Discussion: Participants Evaluate the Use of Transplant and MRD in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - July 31st, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market: Allogeneic transplant is projected to continue to hold a dominant market share - BioSpace - July 27th, 2021
- Researchers develop a cell culture test to detect substances that harm the placenta and embryo - News-Medical.net - July 27th, 2021
- FDA Approves KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for Treatment of Patients With High-Risk Early-Stage Triple-Negative Breast Cancer in Combination With... - July 27th, 2021
- Cryopreservation of Unrelated Donor SCTs Safe, Effective in Patients Who Underwent HSCT - Hematology Advisor - July 27th, 2021
- Combination drug therapy can significantly benefit patients with newly diagnosed blood cancer - The Institute of Cancer Research, London - The... - July 25th, 2021
- Study proposes repurposed drug to treat COVID-19 - The Hindu - July 25th, 2021
- Injecting mice with pulmonary endothelial cells can reverse symptoms of emphysema - News-Medical.Net - July 25th, 2021
- FDA gives speedy review to Bayer's Parkinson's stem cell therapy - - pharmaphorum - July 23rd, 2021
- Stemming the tide of stem-cell treatment scams - Houston Chronicle - July 23rd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine provides new hope and healing - Summit Daily News - July 23rd, 2021
- Emphysema Reversed in Mice Given Injection of Healthy Pulmonary Endothelial Cells - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 23rd, 2021
- Nelson: Gimpy girls have different means of recovery - Watertown Public Opinion - July 23rd, 2021
- Gene Therapy Protects Optic Nerve Cells and Vision in Mice with Retinal Injury and Glaucoma - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 23rd, 2021
- Has COVID-19 Opened up the Route to Market for Cell and Gene Therapy? - Pharmaceutical Executive - July 23rd, 2021
- Transplant-Associated Thrombotic Microangiopathy: New Insights, Emerging Treatments - OncLive - July 23rd, 2021
- Bluebird, with little fanfare, is first to bring a second gene therapy to market - BioPharma Dive - July 23rd, 2021
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 21st, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces MyeloCelz The Company's Second Regenerative Immunotherapy Product - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Gets Fast Track Status for Parkinson Disease - Monthly Prescribing Reference - July 21st, 2021
- Stem cell model reveals how COVID-19 can infect the brain - Study Finds - July 21st, 2021
- Donating a chance at life: Kokomo teacher donates stem cells to 75-year-old woman through Be the Match - Kokomo Perspective - July 21st, 2021
- Young Patients With Multiple Myeloma May Benefit From Tandem Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - Hematology Advisor - July 21st, 2021
- Emerging Quadruplets, Novel Targets, and Immunotherapy Advances Personalized Medicine in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for DA01 in the Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2021
- YOUR HEALTH: Finding cures by tracking cells - WQAD.com - July 21st, 2021
- Study shows promise of combining radiation therapy with dendritic-cell vaccines for breast cancer - News-Medical.Net - July 21st, 2021
- Profilin 1 Protein and Its Implications for Cancers - Cancer Network - July 17th, 2021
- Developmental Interest in Allogeneic PlacentaDerived Cell Therapies Expands - OncLive - July 17th, 2021
- For Patients with HIV and Cancer, a Multidisciplinary Treatment Approach is Critical - Targeted Oncology - July 17th, 2021
- Times really up! FDA authority to crack down on regenerative medicines upheld as grace period ends - JD Supra - July 15th, 2021
- The Memphis Institute of Regenerative Medicine Rebrands To Reflect Statewide Reach - UTHSC News - July 15th, 2021
- Dr. Sperling on Future Research With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 15th, 2021
- TiTAN-1 Trial of GEN-011 Initiates Treatment in Patients With Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - July 15th, 2021
- Saving a life, fixing the world - The Jewish Standard - July 15th, 2021
- Exosome spray may be better able to heal damaged hearts - New Atlas - July 15th, 2021
- Prime Medicine uncloaks with $315M to push 'search and replace' gene editing treatments - FierceBiotech - July 13th, 2021
- Dr. Sallman on Unmet Treatment Needs in Higher-Risk MDS - OncLive - July 13th, 2021
- U.S. Stem Cell, Inc The New Generation Company In The ... - July 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy - Stemedix | Regenerative Medicine Also ... - July 11th, 2021
- FIRM, CAS further cooperate to advance reproductive medicine research_china.org.cn - China.org.cn - July 11th, 2021
- England's drug price watchdog rejects Orchard's groundbreaking gene therapy after first round of talks - FiercePharma - July 11th, 2021
- ARO-HIF2 Shows Signals of Activity, Safety in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma - Targeted Oncology - July 9th, 2021
- Gene therapy for sickle cell disease: progress and competition - BioPharma Dive - July 9th, 2021
- Xilis Raises $70 Million Series A Financing to Advance Diagnostic and Drug Discovery and Development Platform Leveraging Proprietary MicroOrganoSphere... - July 9th, 2021
- Dr. Sperling on Future Research Directions With Ide-Cel in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 9th, 2021
- More than $25m awarded to Monash researchers for vital medical research - Monash University - July 9th, 2021
- Magnetically-guided delivery of therapeutic stem cells into the brain - Advanced Science News - July 7th, 2021
- Beyond CAR-T: New Frontiers in Living Cell Therapies - UCSF News Services - July 7th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy could make significant impact as opioid alternative - The Pharma Letter - July 7th, 2021
- Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine ... - July 5th, 2021
- Home - World Stem Cell Summit - July 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy & Regenerative Medicine Clearwater, FL ... - July 5th, 2021
- Ethical Issues in Stem Cell Research - July 5th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth and Change to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 3rd, 2021
- Regenerative Therapy Makes Headway in HF ... in the Right Patients - MedPage Today - July 3rd, 2021
- A New Era For FDA Regulation Of Cell And Tissue Products - Law360 - July 3rd, 2021
- Multiple myeloma treatment: Newest options, drugs, and more - Medical News Today - July 3rd, 2021
- Anti-CD22 CAR-T cell therapy as a salvage treatment - OTT | OTT - Dove Medical Press - July 3rd, 2021
- Studies Offer Promising Data on CAR T-cell Therapy in B-ALL, Multiple Myeloma - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - July 3rd, 2021
- The cell therapy manufacturing market is projected to reach USD 14.5 billion by 2030, growing at - GlobeNewswire - July 3rd, 2021