Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a rapidly progressive and fatal degenerative disease affecting the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord responsible for controlling voluntary muscle movement. Sporadic or non-inherited ALS, accounts for roughly 90% percent of cases, and 10% of cases are due to known genetic mutations. By studying lab-grown neurons derived from skin or blood cells from 10 normal controls, eight with an ALS causing mutation, and 17 with non-inherited ALS, researchers have found a possible starting point for the dysfunction that causes the disease. The study, which was published in Science Translational Medicine was funded in part by the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), part of the National Institutes of Health.
Using a library of ALS patient-derived cells, the research team led by Jeffrey Rothstein, M.D., Ph.D., at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, developed induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived neurons from the patients cultured cells to discover a common defect regardless of whether the cell came from persons with inherited or non-inherited ALS. They report that in ALS nerve cells, there is an accumulation of a protein called CHMP7 in the nucleus of cultured nerve cells as well as in ALS samples from the brain region that controls movement. Treatments that decrease the amount of CHMP7 in the cultured cells prevented a series of abnormalities that are characteristic of ALS.
There is considerable interest in identifying new therapeutic targets for ALS, particularly for the sporadic form of the disorder, said Amelie Gubitz, Ph.D., program director, NINDS. Gene-targeting strategies like the one shown here now allow us to move from biological discovery straight to therapy development.
This study builds on an earlier paper by the Rothstein lab that looked at the most common genetic cause of ALS, a mutation in the C9orf72 gene (also referred to as the C9 mutation). There, they showed that the C9 mutation produced defects in a structure called the nuclear pore that is responsible for moving proteins and other molecules in and out of the nucleus of cells. Specifically, they found that certain proteins were absent from the pore, causing a domino-like effect in which the entire pore breaks apart.
We knew from our previous work that the C9 mutation was producing defects in the nuclear pore, but we didnt know why, said Dr. Rothstein. Here, we set out to answer the question of what was happening upstream of the pore defects by studying neurons derived from the cells of patients with ALS.
Specifically, the researchers looked at nerve cells grown from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), which are a type of stem cell that can be created from samples of a persons skin or blood. These cells behave very much like other stem cells in that they can be turned into many different cell types in a lab setting, including nerve cells. By working with Answer ALS, a national ALS biological data and iPSC effort run by Rothstein, the researchers were able to access iPSCs derived from both familial and sporadic ALS patients.
One of the great advantages of iPSCs is that you can look at different times very much in the same way as you would study animal models at different ages, said Dr. Rothstein. We knew the time point where the nuclear pores began to degrade, and we were able to study neurons at earlier times to see what the cause could be.
What they found was that the accumulation of CHMP7 within the nucleus occurred at least one week prior to the development of nuclear pore abnormalities. Normally, CHMP7 is quickly removed once it enters the nucleus, but in both C9 and sporadic ALS iPSC-derived neurons, the accumulation persisted. If an antisense oligonucleotide drug, which stops cells from manufacturing specific proteins, was used to decrease the amount of CHMP7 within the ALS neurons, the pore never degraded. Finally, if a mutated form of CHMP7 that cannot be removed from the nucleus was added to healthy neurons, the pore degraded much like what was seen in ALS neurons, suggesting that the presence of CHMP7 within the nuclei of neurons could be a lynchpin event in the development of the disease.
One abnormality common to all forms of ALS is the mislocalization of another protein, TDP-43. Normally found in the nucleus, TDP-43 leaks out into the surrounding cytoplasm in ALS where it clumps together into aggregates, leading to loss of function changes in various types of RNA, which are critical for the translation of certain genes into proteins. Eventually this is also seen in iPSC-derived neurons from both C9 and sporadic ALS patients. Following treatment with the antisense oligonucleotides for CHMP7, the TDP-43 mislocalization was no longer seen and the RNA defects were all corrected.
These findings together allow us to put these abnormalities in sequence, where CHMP7 accumulation in the nucleus leads to nuclear pore injury, followed by TDP-43 mislocalization, and ultimately cell death, said Dr. Rothstein. This is not just limited to the C9 mutation; it is a fundamental pathway in sporadic ALS as well that can be treated with antisense oligonucleotides for CHMP7.
Dr. Rothsteins lab is currently investigating whether the antisense oligonucleotide drug could be developed into a treatment for both C9 and sporadic ALS patients. They are also continuing to study the initial accumulation of CHMP7 to determine what causes the mislocalization in the nucleus.
Reference:Coyne AN, Baskerville V, Zaepfel BL, et al. Nuclear accumulation of CHMP7 initiates nuclear pore complex injury and subsequent TDP-43 dysfunction in sporadic and familial ALS. Sci. Transl. Med. 2021;13(604). doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.abe1923
This article has been republished from the following materials. Note: material may have been edited for length and content. For further information, please contact the cited source.
Originally posted here:
- SA Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of saving lives - Phoenix Sun - September 22nd, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Discovers and Files Patent on Novel Cellular Therapy Combination for Augmentation of Lung Repair in COVID-19 Model... - September 22nd, 2021
- Thawing Equipment Market With Covid-19 Impact on Industry Share, Size, Emerging Technologies, Future Trends, Competitive Analysis | Thermo Fisher... - September 22nd, 2021
- B cells of the immune system discovered in the meninges - EurekAlert - September 18th, 2021
- Leerink Partners Stick to Their Buy Rating for CryoPort Inc By Investing.com - Investing.com - September 17th, 2021
- Stem Cell Equipment Market Demand and SWOT Analysis by 2027 Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca Therapeutics UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 4th, 2021
- LifeCell Community Stem Cell Banking achieves a significant milestone, preserves 60000 qualified cord blood units in its inventory - APN News - August 25th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Size, Share, Growth, Sales Revenue and Key Drivers Analysis Research Report by 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 14th, 2021
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market Forecast to 2028 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type - GlobeNewswire - August 14th, 2021
- Later-Generation Cellular Therapies Look Promising in Hematologic Malignancies - Targeted Oncology - August 14th, 2021
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market Forecast to 2028 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type ; Cryogen Type ; Application ; End User, and... - August 12th, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International to Present at the Q3 Virtual Investor Summit - Yahoo Finance - August 12th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Superior Neurogenesis Induction in Animal Model of Viral Induced Cognitive Dysfunction Compared to other... - August 12th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Size, Share, Growth, Analysis, Trend, and Forecast Research Report by 2027 The Manomet Current... - August 12th, 2021
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treatment: What You Need to Know - Healthline - August 12th, 2021
- 7 things to know before banking your newborns cord blood - Motherly Inc. - August 12th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking Service Market is Projected to Showcase Significant Growth USD 2,772 million at CAGR +13% up to 2027| Cord Blood America, Inc., CBR... - July 29th, 2021
- Be wary of stem cell treatments; blood pressure meds help with dementia - Hometown Focus - July 29th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking, Umbilical Cord Stem Cells ... - July 21st, 2021
- Cord Blood Registry (CBR) | CordBloodBanking.com - July 21st, 2021
- About CBR - Cord Blood Registry - July 21st, 2021
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants - National Cancer ... - July 21st, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market 2021 | Key Players Market With Pre & Post COVID-19 Impact Analysis | In Depth Insight | Growth &... - July 21st, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Witnesses Upward Trend with High Prevalence of Parkinson's Disease The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 21st, 2021
- New Blood - Weizmann Wonder Wander - News, Features and Discoveries - Weizmann Institute of Science - July 17th, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 17th, 2021
- Huge Growth of Cord Blood Banking Services Market by 2027 | Cryo-Cell, Virgin Health Bank., Cryo-Cell International, Inc., Cryo-Save AG The Manomet... - July 17th, 2021
- Is this how Meghan Markle is raising Lilibet? From smart cots to placenta pills the popular way to p... - The US Sun - July 7th, 2021
- Impact of NK cell-based therapeutics for Lung Cancer Therapy | BTT - Dove Medical Press - July 7th, 2021
- Cordlife India - Umbilical cord Blood Banking - July 5th, 2021
- Cord blood bank - Wikipedia - July 5th, 2021
- Canadian Blood Services Stem Cells for Life - July 5th, 2021
- Mouse Embryo With Beating Heart Created From Stem Cells By Scientists - IFLScience - July 3rd, 2021
- Recent updates in Stem Cells Market: Research Report Segmented by Applications, Geography, Trends and Projection 2028 The Courier - The Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Business Trends, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecasts To 2028 The Courier - The... - June 27th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Analysis Report By Product, By Application, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts 2027 ... - June 27th, 2021
- Spinal Fusion Market Challenges, Key Players, Industry Segments, Development, Opportunities, Forecast Report 2027: Charter, Worthington Industries,... - June 27th, 2021
- World's First Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Pool Banking - June 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood and Tissue Banking | New England Cord Blood Bank - June 24th, 2021
- List of FDA Approved Stem Cell Treatments - Cord For Life - June 24th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking | UK Stem Cell Bank | Biovault Family - June 24th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Canada & Stem Cells Storage ... - June 24th, 2021
- stem cells - SlideShare - June 24th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Announces Publication in Blood, the Journal of the American Society of Hematology, of the First Pivotal Trial to Evaluate a Cell Therapy... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market 2021 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - June 24th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - WFMZ... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Status, Business Trends, Competitive Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecasts To 2028||Cryo-Cell International,... - June 20th, 2021
- Global $15.52 Bn Cell Isolation (Human Cells and Animal Cells) - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- Stem Cells in the Treatment of Diabetes | Cryo-Cell - June 16th, 2021
- Uses & Importance of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells | NECBB - June 16th, 2021
- Cord blood stem cells: a review of potential neurological ... - June 16th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Medical Society - June 16th, 2021
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Set to Grow with Massive CAGR by 2028. Major Players Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - June 16th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Report Provides An In-Depth Insight Of Demand And Trends Forecast To 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 14th, 2021
- What Are Stem Cells and Why Are They Important? - News & Features - June 13th, 2021
- Simone Anderson cleared by ASA over cord blood post but accused of deleting negative comments - New Zealand Herald - June 13th, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2028 The Manomet Current... - June 13th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 9th, 2021
- Global Analysis of Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Size 2021-2026 By Industry Demand, Growth Share and Competitive Landscape Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 9th, 2021
- MedShadow Foundation Reports on Two Decades of Research and Regulation of Stem Cell Therapy - PRUnderground - May 30th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Research Report Including SWOT Analysis, PESTELE Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Global Industry Outlook and Key Players Analysis By... - May 26th, 2021
- What is lab grown meat? A scientist explains the taste, production and safety of artificial foods - BBC Focus Magazine - May 26th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2021: Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends and Forecasts 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 26th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Revenue, Size Industry Statistics, Share, Analysis and Global Research Report, 2020-2027 The Courier - The Courier - May 22nd, 2021
- AB-205 Shows Promise in Patients With Systemic Lymphoma Undergoing HDT-ASCT - Targeted Oncology - May 22nd, 2021
- Research on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Key Data Points Necessary for Effective Strategies | Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori... - May 20th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.9% by 2025 - Market Primes - May 20th, 2021
- Amazon in talks to buy MGM movie studio - The Information - Yahoo Finance UK - May 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Revenue, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Trends and Demand by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 20th, 2021
- Swab To Save a Life event to be held at Berlin Boro Hall - nj.com - May 20th, 2021
- Caribou Biosciences Announces Appointment of Katy Rezvani, M.D., Ph.D. and Christopher Sturgeon, Ph.D. to its Scientific Advisory Board - Business... - May 20th, 2021
- Repeated infusion of mesenchymal stem cells maintain the condition to inhibit deteriorated motor function, leading to an extended lifespan in the... - May 10th, 2021
- Smart Immune Announces FDA Orphan Drug Status, IND Acceptance and Fast-Track Designation to Commence Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of Proprietary... - May 10th, 2021
- Nathaniel's family have just three days to raise 150,000 for life-saving operation - Mirror Online - May 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Becoming a Common Treatment for Medical Diseases, Disorders and Traumas - Flagstaff Business News - May 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market by Type (Allogeneic Stem Cell, Autologous Stem Cell), By Application (Autoimmune Diseases, Immunodeficiencies,... - May 5th, 2021
- Our first child is due, and Im already in the clutches of the baby-industrial complex - The Guardian - May 5th, 2021
- Scientists identify small-molecule cocktail to improve stem cell use in research and disease treatments - National Institutes of Health - May 5th, 2021