Updated on 4/29
While no specific treatment for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is currently available, several therapies are being investigated globally.*
Acalabrutinib (AstraZeneca): a selective inhibitor of Brutons tyrosine kinase (BTK) being investigated for the treatment of cytokine storm associated with COVID-19 in severely ill patients. BTK inhibition reduces the production of multiple cytokines and chemokines which may potentially reduce respiratory complications of COVID-19. The Company has initiated an open-label study (CALAVI) to investigate the treatment.
ACE-MAB (Sorrento Therapeutics): a bi-specific fusion protein that binds to the spike protein of coronaviruses. The investigational agent is expected to block SARS-CoV-2 from binding and infecting respiratory epithelial cells or ACE2-expressing cells.
ATYR1923 (aTyr): a fusion protein composed of the immunomodulatory domain of histidyl tRNA synthetase fused to the FC region of a human antibody. The product candidate will be evaluated in COVID-19 patients with severe respiratory complications.
Aviptadil (RLF-100; Relief Therapeutics): a vasoactive intestinal polypeptide being investigated for the treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome in patients with COVI-19 infection. The drug has now entered FDA clinical trials at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. The multicenter trial will enroll patients who are already on mechanical ventilation to see if aviptadil can decrease mortality in this condition.
Baricitinib (Lilly): an oral Janus kinase inhibitor (JAK1/JAK2) being investigated in an NIH study for the potential treatment of hospitalized patients diagnosed with COVID-19.
Brensocatib (Insmed): a small molecule, oral, reversible inhibitor of dipeptidyl peptidase I currently being developed for the treatment of bronchiectasis and other inflammatory diseases. The drug candidate will be studied in patients with severe COVID-19 in an investigator-initiated trial (STOP-COVID19).
Brilacidin (Innovation Pharmaceuticals): a defensin-mimetic that mimics the human innate immune system and causes disruption of the membrane of pathogens, leading to cell death. The investigational agent has already been tested in humans in phase 2 trials for other indications.
Bucillamine (Revive Therapeutics): a cysteine derivative with 2 thiol groups that has the potential, via restoration of glutathione activity and other anti-inflammatory activity, to lessen the negative consequences of SARS-CoV2 infection in the lungs.
CD24Fc (OncoImmune, Inc): a first-in-class biologic that fortifies an innate immune checkpoint against excessive inflammation caused by tissue injuries. The Company has received approval from the FDA for its phase 3 clinical trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of CD24Fc for the treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients. A cohort of 230 patients with severe clinical symptoms will be randomized and administered a single dose of CD24Fc or placebo and followed for a 14-day period.
Centhaquine (Pharmazz): an investigational resuscitative agent that is expected to provide hemodynamic stability, improve tissue oxygenation, reduce pulmonary edema, reduce acute respiratory distress syndrome, reduce multiple organ dysfunction score and decrease mortality in patients with COVID-19. The Company is approaching various regulatory agencies regarding use of centhaquine as an adjunct in the management of critically ill patients with COVID-19; the drug has already been assessed in a phase 3 study for hypovolemic shock.
CM4620-IE (CalciMedica): a potent and selective small molecule inhibitor of calcium release-activated calcium (CRAC) channels. The investigational agent may prevent pulmonary endothelial damage and lessen the cytokine storm in COVID-19. A phase 2 trial is underway and is expected to enroll 120 patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia.
Convalescent plasma: Convalescent plasma therapy for COVID-19 is currently being investigated across the nation by more than 1040 sites and 950 physicians through an expanded access program led by the Mayo Clinic. In addition, several clinical trials are evaluating the safety and efficacy of the therapy. The FDA is also accepting single-patient emergency Investigational New Drug Applications for individual patients.Recovered patients are being urged to donate plasma.
Dapagliflozin (AstraZeneca): a phase 3 trial evaluating the sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor as a potential treatment for patients hospitalized with COVID-19 who are at risk of developing serious complications has been initiated in collaboration with Saint Lukes Mid America Heart Institute.
DAS181 (Ansum Biopharma): a recombinant sialidase protein that cleaves sialic acid located on the surface of epithelial cells lining the human respiratory tract. The Company is enrolling patients in a proof-of-concept study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the investigational agent for severe COVID-19 infection.
Famotidine: the H2 blocker is being investigated at Northwell Health in New York City following reports from China suggesting that the drug could potentially improve clinical outcomes in COVID-19 patients.
gammaCore (electroCore): an Emergency Use Authorization application has been submitted to the FDA to facilitate the study and clinical use of its gammaCore SapphireTM non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy for respiratory symptoms associated with COVID-19. The hand-held therapy, which is applied at the neck, is currently approved for treating migraine and cluster headache.
Gimsilumab (Roivant Sciences): a fully human monoclonal antibody targeting granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) being developed to treat acute respiratory distress syndrome associated with COVID-19. Gimsilumab has demonstrated a favorable safety and tolerability profile based on data collected to date.
HB-adMSC (Hope Biosciences): autologous, adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells (HB-adMSCs) will be evaluated in a phase 2 trial. The study is expected to enroll 75 patients that are either over 50 years of age, have preexisting health conditions, or are at high-exposure risk.
Ifenprodil (Algernon Pharmaceuticals): an N-methyl-d-aspartate (NDMA) receptor glutamate receptor antagonist that is being prepared for US trials. Animal study results showed the investigational therapy significantly reduced acute lung injury and improved survivability in H5N1 infected mice.
Inhaled nitric oxide: the FDA has granted emergency expanded access for use of the INOpulse system (Bellerophon Therapeutics) and the Genosyl DS tankless system (VERO Biotech) for treatment of COVID-19. In a clinical study of patients infected with SARS-CoV, nitric oxide demonstrated improvements in arterial oxygenation.
Ivermectin: an FDA-approved anti-parasitic agent that has shown antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. MedinCell has launched a research initiative on a long-acting injectable formulation of ivermectin for COVID-19.
LB1148 (Leading BioSciences): a broad spectrum serine protease inhibitor designed to neutralize the activity of digestive proteases and preserve gut integrity during intestinal distress (eg, shock, infections, surgery). It is believed that the investigational agent may limit the viral load in patients with COVID-19 as the SARS-CoV-2 virus uses the ACE2 receptor, which is highly expressed in the lung and GI tract to infect epithelial cells of these organs.
LEAPS peptides (CEL-SCI): an immunotherapy being developed using a patented T cell modulation peptide epitope delivery technology, to stimulate protective cell-mediated T cell responses and reduce viral load.
LY3127804 (Lilly): an investigational selective monoclonal antibody against angiopoietin 2 (Ang2) being developed for pneumonia patients hospitalized with COVID-19 who are at high risk of progressing to acute respiratory distress syndrome.
Mavrilimumab (Kiniksa): a fully-human monoclonal antibody designed to antagonize granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) signaling by binding to the alpha subunit of the GM-CSF receptor (GM-CSFR). In a prospective, interventional, single-active-arm, single-center pilot study, patients with severe pulmonary involvement of COVID-19, acute respiratory distress, fever, and clinical and biological markers of systemic hyperinflammation status were treated with a single intravenous dose of mavrilimumab. To date, 6 patients have been treated; patients showed early resolution of fever and improvement in oxygenation within 1-3 days.
Multi-antibody cocktail therapy (Regeneron): a novel therapy that could potentially be administered as prophylaxis before exposure to SARS-CoV-2 virus or as a treatment for those already infected; may potentially enter human trials by early summer.
MultiStem therapy (Athersys): a stem cell product candidate for the treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome induced by COVID-19. First clinical sites for the MultiStem Administration for COVID-19 Induced ARDS (MACOVIA) study are expected to open in the second quarter of 2020.
Pacritinib (CTI BioPharma): an investigational oral kinase inhibitor with specificity for JAK2, IRAK1 and CSF1R. The Company will evaluate the potential of pacritinib in preventing the development of an inflammatory response to COVID-19 in the phase 3 PRE-VENT study.
Peginterferon Lambda (Eiger BioPharmaceuticals): a type III interferon (IFN) being investigated in a phase 2 study in outpatients with mild COVID-19 at the Stanford University School of Medicine. Administration of IFN lambda has been shown to suppress viral replication while stopping the cytokine storm from developing.
Remestemcel-L (Mesoblast Limited): an allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) product candidate being investigated as a treatment for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by COVID-19. Remestemcel-L, which is composed of culture-expanded MSCs derived from the bone marrow of an unrelated donor, is administered in a series of intravenous infusions and is believed to have immunomodulatory properties to counteract inflammatory processes. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial is being conducted at Mount Sinai hospital in New York City.
Ruxolitinib (Incyte): a phase 3 study evaluating the efficacy and safety of ruxolitinib, a Janus kinase inhibitor, in patients with COVID-19 associated cytokine storm is being initiated. The Company intends to launch an Expanded Access Program to allow eligible patients to receive ruxolitinib, which is marketed under the brand name Jakafi in the US, while it is being investigated for COVID-19.
Sargramostim: a yeast-derived recombinant humanized granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (rhuGM-CSF) being assessed in the SARPAC trial (sargramostim in patients with acute hypoxic respiratory failure due to COVID-19) at University Hospital Ghent to treat patients with respiratory illness associated with COVID-19. Sargramostim is marketed under the brand name Leukine (Partner Therapeutics) in the US.
Sarilumab (Regeneron and Sanofi): the interleukin (IL)-6 receptor antagonist is being evaluated in patients hospitalized with severe COVID-19 infection. Preliminary results from the phase 2 portion of an ongoing phase 2/3 trial showed that the drug lowered C-reactive protein, a key marker of inflammation, compared with placebo, meeting the primary end point of the study.
Siltuximab: a study has been initiated at the Papa Giovanni XXIII Hospital, Bergamo Italy, to investigate the use of the interleukin (IL)-6 targeted monoclonal antibody for the treatment of patients with COVID-19 who have developed serious respiratory complications (Siltuximab In Serious COVID-19; SISCO study). Interim data from the first 21 patients show that 7 patients experienced clinical improvement with a reduced need for oxygen support and 9 patients had no clinically relevant changes; worsening was seen in 3 patients and 1 patient died.
ST266 (Noveome Biotherapeutics): a cell-free platform biologic containing hundreds of anti-inflammatory proteins. According to the Company, its lead product candidate has the potential to treat severe inflammatory cytokine storm observed in COVID-19 patients. Human clinical trials are expected by the fourth quarter 2020.
TAK-888 (Takeda): an anti-SARS-CoV-2 polyclonal hyperimmune globulin (H-IG) being developed for high-risk individuals with COVID-19. Pathogen-specific antibodies from plasma will be collected from recovered patients (or vaccinated donors in the future) and will be transferred to sick patients to improve the immune response to the infection and increase the chance of recovery.
TD-0903 (Theravance Biopharma): a lung-selective nebulized Janus kinase inhibitor in clinical development to assess its utility in preventing the cytokine storm associated with acute lung injury in patients hospitalized due to COVID-19, with the ultimate goal of preventing progression to acute respiratory distress syndrome. A phase 1 study has been initiated.
Tocilizumab (Genentech): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial is being initiated in collaboration with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the interleukin (IL)-6 receptor antagonist plus standard of care in hospitalized adult patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia.
Tradipitant (Vanda Pharmaceuticals): a neurokinin-1 receptor antagonist being evaluated for the treatment and prevention of pneumonia associated with COVID-19. The phase 3 ODYSSEY study will include 300 patients with severe infection.
TZLS-501 (Tiziana): the investigational therapy has been shown to rapidly deplete circulating levels of interleukin (IL)-6 in the blood, a key driver of chronic inflammation. Excessive production of IL-6 is believed to be associated with severe lung damage observed with COVID-19 infections.
Vazegepant (Biohaven Pharmaceuticals): an intranasal, high-affinity calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonist that will be evaluated in the treatment of pulmonary complications of COVID-19. The FDA has approved a phase 2 study.
*Not an inclusive list. Updates will be made as more information becomes available.
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- IHS Pets: Bringing Cell And Gene Therapy To Cats, Dogs & Horses - Anti Aging News - July 4th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Jim Schoeneck, Accomplished Biotech Executive, to Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - July 4th, 2020
- Biology of Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Bentham Science - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Skeletal Regeneration ... - July 1st, 2020
- Amniotic Membranes Market is Projected to Expand at a CAGR of ~10% From 2019 to 2027 - Science Examiner - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 Projections, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Companies Strategies and Forecast 2024 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher,... - July 1st, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 30th, 2020
- Amniotic Membrane Market by Product, Application and Forecast to 2027 TMR - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Global ? How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in recent years? - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market Size, 2020-New Technological Change Helping Market, Application, Driver, - PharmiWeb.com - June 30th, 2020
- Research on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: PromoCell, ThermoFisher, KURABO, Merck, and - 3rd Watch... - June 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Size, Share, Progress Insight, Share, Trends, Industry Key Players-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And... - June 23rd, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020 Opportunity Ahead of Earnings with evox THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United Therapeutics... - June 23rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020 - Owned - June 19th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Regional Analysis, key Drivers and Restraints, by Product, Top Players and Forecast Analysis 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - June 19th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - 3rd Watch News - June 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy Options for Horses With Osteoarthritis - TheHorse.com - June 14th, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - P&T Community - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Therapeutics: The Leading Contenders - Seeking Alpha - June 6th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics, ImStem Biotechnology sign non-binding letter of intent regarding investigational MSC candidate IMS001 for Covid-19 - Pharmaceutical... - June 3rd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 3rd, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - PRNewswire - June 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (ASX:MSB) reveals promising trial results for lung disease treatment - The Market Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Photoaged Skin Therapy with Adipose-Derived Stem Cells - MedicalResearch.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Intravenously Delivered Mesenchymal Stem Cells Prevent Microvascular Obstruction Formation After Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury - DocWire News - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities,... - June 2nd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Primary Cells Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Bandera County Courier - June 2nd, 2020
- Could Cell Therapy Target the Symptoms of Severe... - Labiotech.eu - May 25th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: ASCO Presentations In The Spotlight - Yahoo Finance - May 25th, 2020
- In situ repair abilities of human umbilical cordderived mesenchymal stem cells and autocrosslinked hyaluronic acid gel complex in rhesus monkeys with... - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Be The Match BioTherapies and NantKwest Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Cell Therapy to Prevent COVID-19 Deaths - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAG - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microencapsulated Omega3 Powder Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Diaries: A Covid scientist on the hunt for a cure, and a GP on what doctors need to learn - Financial Times - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 14th, 2020
- AMC to use stem cell therapy in treating graft-versus-host disease - Korea Biomedical Review - May 7th, 2020
- 5 Stem Cell Companies Racing Towards COVID-19 ARDS Therapy - Seeking Alpha - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves AstraZeneca's Farxiga for Heart Failure in Adults with Reduced Ejection Fraction - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- Pass the MUST-ARDS: Athersys starts pivotal study for stem cells to treat COVID-19-induced ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 7th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 5th, 2020
- Frontiers | Senescence in Mesenchymal Stem Cells ... - May 5th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Properties, Process, Functions ... - May 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Expected to Witness the Highest Grow - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - May 5th, 2020
- Targeted pathological collagen delivery of sustained-release rapamycin to prevent heterotopic ossification - Science Advances - April 30th, 2020
- Biopharmas work to wallop COVID-19 respiratory effects, keeping patients off ventilators - BioWorld Online - April 30th, 2020
- EMA warns against unproven therapies - English - Agenzia ANSA - April 30th, 2020
- US FDA Allows Trial to Proceed for Retrotopes RT001 in the Treatment of Progressive SupraNuclear Palsy (PSP) - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows 83% survival of Coronavirus patients on ventilators - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- Researcher says stem cell activation could lie at root of health effects of many natural products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 26th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells: The 'Other' Bone Marrow Stem Cells - April 24th, 2020
- The Dual Nature of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs): Yin and ... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal - Stemcell Technologies - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Outlook with a Focus on Clinical Therapies 2020-2030: Types of Stem Cells, Route of Administration, Therapeutic Areas, End-users,... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for ... - April 24th, 2020
- Researchers turn to stem cells in COVID-19 battle How does the treatment work and does it pose any risk? - Times Now - April 24th, 2020