Stem cells offer hope as a promising treatment option for various diseases and are the future of medicine. Embryonic stem cells, have been at the heart of many debates globally, in view of the embryonic destruction or manipulation that their generation may require. Converging between research and law, patent law and policy grant yet throw their own challenges to obtaining exclusivity.
In India, in addition to satisfying the criteria of novelty and inventive step, inventions need to fall outside the realm of Section 3 of the Patents Act, to be patentable. Presenting an additional bar to patentability, Section 3 enlists inventions which are not patentable. Owing to this section it is oftentimes the case that the claim scope granted in India is quite different from that granted in other jurisdictions.
Public order and morality
Over the years, the Indian Patent Offices perspective on the issue of patentability of inventions involving embryonic stem cells, appears to have changed. This change in stance is apparent from the changes in the Manual of Patent Office Practice and Procedure. The 2005 draft of said guidelines treated the use of human or animal embryos for any purpose against public order and morality and prohibited the same from patentability. This restriction however, was removed from the subsequent draft of the guidelines and has not reappeared ever since.
Inspite of this change in the guidelines, the Patent Office till date raises the public order and morality objection under section 3(b) of the Patents Act, on stem cell related inventions (both methods and stem cell products). The concern most frequently expressed is the possibility of destruction of human embryos. The prosecution history of several cases shows that an objection on public order and morality has been raised even if the claims do not call out embryonic stem cells but the specification mentions the possibility of use of embryonic stem cells. The objection is frequently overcome by excluding any reference to embryonic stem cells from the claims and by disclaiming the use of embryonic stem cells in the operation of the invention.
However, the approach of treating stem cell research against public order and morality appears to be in contrast to public policy in India. The National Guidelines for Stem Cell Research (published by ICMR and DBT under the Ministry of Science and Technology) prescribe conditions subject to which research on stem cells should be conducted. The conditions include verification that the blastocysts used are spare embryos. The guidelines also permit establishment of new human embryonic stem cell lines from spare embryos subject to the approval of certain committees. Clearly, these government guidelines permit safe and responsible stem cell research, including research on embryonic stem cells.
Moreover, it is a well-known fact that not every invention involving embryonic stem cells would necessitate destruction of human embryos and a lot of research is based on embryonic stem cell lines. Therefore, the indiscriminate imposition of objections under Section 3(b) requires change.
Parts of Plants or Animals and Products of Nature
While claims relating to methods of isolation and propagation of stem cells are frequently granted, the Indian Patent Office appears to have never granted even a single application with claims directed to stem cells per se.
This brings us to another common objection frequently encountered in stem cell applications, namely, Section 3(j) which prohibits from patentability plants and animals in whole or any part thereof other than micro-organisms but including seeds, varieties and species and essentially biological processes for production or propagation of plants and animals. Another commonly encountered objection is of Section 3(c) which bars the patentability of any living thing or non-living substance occurring in nature.
There is no judicial precedent that could throw light on what exactly constitutes parts of plants and animals under Section 3(j). The Patent Office considers any cell or tissue derived from plants or animals as parts of plants or animals leading to refusal of cell claims under this ground. Claims related to compositions comprising stem cells are also frequently refused as the compositions are treated as indirectly claiming stem cells. There have been some exceptions though, such as patent number 333231, where a composition comprising stem cells was granted.
A moot issue here is whether cells are actually parts of animals/plants or whether they can be treated as microorganisms. While the Patents Act permits the patentability of microorganisms (that do not occur in nature), the term microorganism has not been defined in either the Act or the manuals that the Patent Office has issued so far. In fact, even the TRIPS agreement which mandates member states to grant patents in relation to microorganisms does not define the term. The European Patent Office recognizes all generally unicellular organisms with dimensions beneath the limits of vision which can be propagated and manipulated in a laboratory. (T 0356/93) as microorganisms.
Since the Patents Act does not limit the scope of the term microorganism and if one were to accept the literary or dictionary meaning of the term microorganism, it would appear that the Patents Act does not prohibit from the scope of patentability cells, which are not visible to the naked eye or which are so small that they require a microscope for viewing.
Moreover, stem cells like induced pluripotent stem cell and human parthenogenetic stem cells, which are somatic cells or oocytes that have been induced to develop the characteristics of unrestrained propagation and ability to develop into any cell type, are markedly distinct from the parent cell from which they are derived and are new cell types altogether. Such cells are indeed creations of man and cannot qualify as an animal part. They are also not living substances that occur in nature and being purely man made fall outside the prohibitory restraint of Section 3(c).
In the absence of judicial precedents and well defined guidelines, the law in India in relation to patentability of stem cell research is at a nascent stage. The Indian Patent Office has been following an unwritten code in the examination of these applications but the approach currently adopted is debatable. It is important to offer robust patent protection to encourage innovation in all fields. While there has been some change in the Patent Offices approach to patentability of stem cells and claims related to methods of producing, culturing and isolation of stem cells, culture media for stem cells, etc., are commonly granted, there is still a lot that can be patented but is currently not. Hopefully, India will see some judicial precedents in the future that will clarify the patentability issues that this field is struggling with.
This article was first published by Legal Era
See the article here:
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market will Hit Big Revenues in Future | COVID19 Unlock opportunities - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Novel discovery could lead to stem cell-based treatment for heart failure - News-Medical.Net - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 11th, 2020
- Development Trends and Financial Analysis of Stem Cell Assay Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- School of Science grows by 10 - MIT News - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Fuel Revenues Through 2020 Lake Shore Gazette - Lake Shore Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 8th, 2020
- Live-cell imaging and analysis reveal cell phenotypic transition dynamics inherently missing in snapshot data - Science Advances - September 8th, 2020
- An ancient virus might have made our hearts bigger - Scope - Scope - September 8th, 2020
- How Groups of Cells Cooperate to Build Organs and Organisms - The Scientist - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists create embryonic stem cells without destroying ... - August 29th, 2020
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells | USCCB - August 29th, 2020
- Foetal cells are used to make the Oxford coronavirus vaccine. But they came from a foetus in 1973 - ABC News - August 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Galus Australis - August 29th, 2020
- Translational Regenerative Medicines Market: Which Region Will Register Higher CAGR? 2017-2026 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market 2020 (Covid-19 Impact) In-depth Industry Analysis By Types, Applications and Forecast 2026: Celgene, Cynata,... - August 27th, 2020
- Pro-life groups applaud Trump administration advisory board for rejecting fetal tissue research proposals - Christianity Daily - August 27th, 2020
- Global regenerative medicine market size was USD 23841.5 Million in 2018 and is Projected to Reach USD 151949.5 Million by 2026, Exhibiting a CAGR of... - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market- By Type, Component, Industry, Region Market Size, Demand Forecasts, Company Profiles, Industry Trends and... - August 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ron Evans steals a trick from I/O, and points the way to a transformational diabetes therapy - Endpoints News - August 20th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Stockhouse - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 19th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 16th, 2020
- What Are the Five Warning Signs of Testicular Cancer? - MedicineNet - August 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- New Study Presents Cell-based Therapy for MN Diseases or Spinal Cord Disorders - Mirage News - August 11th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 11th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR The Strand - Strand - August 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime -... - July 30th, 2020
- Waveguide Combiners & Dividers Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 30th, 2020
- Expanded encyclopaedias of DNA elements in the human and mouse genomes - Nature.com - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- New model may explain why certain cancer cells are resistant to therapy - News-Medical.Net - July 30th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020 Report Forecast By Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview - Express Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 28th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 24th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 24th, 2020
- What's next for Tony Fauci, if the White House continues to sour on him? - STAT - July 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020-2026 | Comprehensive Study of COVID-19 Impact | Worldwide Key Players: Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 14th, 2020
- Turning off junk DNA may free stem cells to become neurons - National Institutes of Health - July 14th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - Space.com - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Growth, Size, Opportunities and Analysis Forecast 2020 - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- What Miniature Lab-Grown Brains Reveal About the Effects of Covid-19 - OneZero - July 14th, 2020
- Transdermal Testosterone Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Stem Cells Market Study 2018-2028 Segmented On The Basis of Product Type, Geographical Analysis, Future Forecast,... - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by BioLife Solutions, Akron Biotechnology, GE... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and Forecast 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Human CNS barrier-forming organoids with cerebrospinal fluid production - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 10th, 2020
- Network Traffic Analyzer Market Size 2020 Global Industry Insights, Share, Growth, Trend, Demand, Top Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 10th, 2020