Stem cells havent exactly panned out as hoped when it comes to approved therapeutics. There are only a couple that have received a nod from the FDA in very specific indications. But the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic could push stem cells back into the limelight and more firmly establish them as therapeutically relevant.
There are at least a few dozen trials looking at various types of stem cells to treat different aspects of COVID-19 in patients in different states of disease severity. Cleveland-based Athersys Inc. has started a large, pivotal clinical study to enroll up to 400 COVID-19 patients to treat those with moderate to severe acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) with its Multistem candidate, which is available frozen, off-the-shelf and derived from the bone marrow of adult donors.
Building on ARDS data
A small phase I/II study of Multistem to treat ARDS in non-COVID patients previously reported positive results, shortening the average time on a ventilator and in an intensive care unit (ICU).
Although underpowered, there was a signal there that the cell-based therapy may be beneficial. In the randomized, placebo-controlled, blinded portion of the study, the cell-based therapy was associated with a decrease in ICU days and ventilator day and decreased mortality, Frank Jacono, who is an associate professor of medicine and a pulmonary and critical care medicine physician at University Hospitals Cleveland and the Cleveland VA Medical Center, told BioWorld of the phase I/II results. If anything, that signal was strongest in the sickest of the patients. Basically, that is the foundation for the evaluation of COVID-19 moderate to severe ARDS.
Jacono participated as a site investigator in the phase I/II trial and is the site principal investigator for the newly started phase II/III study of Multistem to treat COVID-19 induced, moderate to severe ARDS.
Multistem has been investigated in various neurological, inflammatory and immune, as well as cardiovascular and other critical care indications, but it has not gained FDA approval. The most advanced indication for the stem cell candidate is to treat patients after an ischemic stroke; it is in a phase III clinical trial in that indication.
In May 2019, Athersys received fast track designation from the FDA for the Multistem for the treatment of ARDS. There are no FDA-approved drugs to treat this indication.
The phase I/II study, known as MUST-ARDS, started with the examination of two doses, first 300 million cells in three patients and then 900 million cells in three patients. The subsequent randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled 30-patient trial randomized patients 2:1 to intravenous administration of 900 million Multistem cells vs. placebo.
The study was primarily a safety study and not powered for efficacy results. However, it did find lower mortality, particularly for more severe ARDS patients; improved quality of life; fewer days on a ventilator (12.9 vs. 9.2 with placebo); and more intensive-care free days (10.3 vs. 8.1 with placebo). Among a prospectively defined group of severe ARDS patients in that study, average ventilator-free days were 14.6 vs. 8 in the placebo subgroup and mean ICU-free days were 11.4 vs. 5.9 days with placebo. These were all assessed after 28 days.
The mechanisms of action for Multistem is not pathogen-specific, of course, so it would potentially work to help the immune system function more effectively to reduce the severe lung inflammation that leads to ARDS. This would include SARS-COV-2, as well as any secondary bacterial pneumonia infection in the same patient.
Multistem is thought to express factors that work to reduce inflammation, protect damaged or injured tissue and enhance the formation of new blood vessels after injury. They are believed to have a drug-like profile in regulating the immune system and promoting system repair. The candidate is expected to decrease the activation of the peripheral immune system, thereby reducing tissue damage and scarring and accelerating repair processes.
The product is frozen, so it could eventually be deployed widely in lots of different hospital settings because of the company's formulation, said Jacono. Sometimes, when people hear stem cells, they think about stem cells going in and repopulating and growing into new cells that would then replace the old cells in the patient. That's not what's hypothesized here.
The stem cells will enter the circulation and go to the lungs. It's hoped that they would express factors to help restore and re-regulate the immune response in the lungs transitioning back from a damaging type of response to a more beneficial response and then leave the body, he continued. But they don't persist in the body, they don't set up and grow new cells, they don't replace cells; they just act to sort of modulate the immune response while they're there.
The recently started phase II/III trial will again start with a dose-ranging precursor. The studys large enrollment size could mean that it could take a couple of years to get to the results. The inherently unpredictable nature of the ebb and flow of the number of COVID-19 infections, as well as the concurrently shifting availability of other treatments and testing of other candidates, make it difficult to assess how motivated patients and their families will be to enroll in the phase II/III trial.
Known as MACOVIA, the primary efficacy endpoint is the number of ventilator-free days through day 28 vs. placebo. Secondary endpoints include 60-day all-cause mortality, time in the intensive care unit, pulmonary function, tolerability and quality of life among survivors after one year.
Other recent small clinical trials provide some reason to hope for some success with stem cells in COVID-19 treatment. These include a 12-patient study of another allogeneic stem cell therapy, remestemcel-L from Mesoblast Ltd., recently reported positive data treating ventilator-dependent COVID-19 patients with moderate to severe ARDS. A phase II/III study is slated to follow. A seven-patient evaluation of compassionate use of an allogeneic, mesenchymal-like cell therapy from Pluristem Therapeutics Inc. in COVID-19 patients also showed promise.
The expectation for Multistem is that, regardless of the path of the pandemic, the pivotal trial will provide further insight into the usefulness of the candidate in treating moderate to severe ARDS from any cause, which had been the focus previously.
We want to study this carefully and scientifically, summed up Jacono. But at the end, we'll be confident as a result whether or not this is beneficial for patients and should be considered more routinely as part of therapy.
Read the original:
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- IHS Pets: Bringing Cell And Gene Therapy To Cats, Dogs & Horses - Anti Aging News - July 4th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Jim Schoeneck, Accomplished Biotech Executive, to Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - July 4th, 2020
- Biology of Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Bentham Science - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Skeletal Regeneration ... - July 1st, 2020
- Amniotic Membranes Market is Projected to Expand at a CAGR of ~10% From 2019 to 2027 - Science Examiner - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 Projections, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Companies Strategies and Forecast 2024 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher,... - July 1st, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 30th, 2020
- Amniotic Membrane Market by Product, Application and Forecast to 2027 TMR - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Global ? How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in recent years? - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market Size, 2020-New Technological Change Helping Market, Application, Driver, - PharmiWeb.com - June 30th, 2020
- Research on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: PromoCell, ThermoFisher, KURABO, Merck, and - 3rd Watch... - June 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Size, Share, Progress Insight, Share, Trends, Industry Key Players-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And... - June 23rd, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020 Opportunity Ahead of Earnings with evox THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United Therapeutics... - June 23rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020 - Owned - June 19th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Regional Analysis, key Drivers and Restraints, by Product, Top Players and Forecast Analysis 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - June 19th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - 3rd Watch News - June 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy Options for Horses With Osteoarthritis - TheHorse.com - June 14th, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - P&T Community - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Therapeutics: The Leading Contenders - Seeking Alpha - June 6th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics, ImStem Biotechnology sign non-binding letter of intent regarding investigational MSC candidate IMS001 for Covid-19 - Pharmaceutical... - June 3rd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 3rd, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - PRNewswire - June 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (ASX:MSB) reveals promising trial results for lung disease treatment - The Market Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Photoaged Skin Therapy with Adipose-Derived Stem Cells - MedicalResearch.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Intravenously Delivered Mesenchymal Stem Cells Prevent Microvascular Obstruction Formation After Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury - DocWire News - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities,... - June 2nd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Primary Cells Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Bandera County Courier - June 2nd, 2020
- Could Cell Therapy Target the Symptoms of Severe... - Labiotech.eu - May 25th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: ASCO Presentations In The Spotlight - Yahoo Finance - May 25th, 2020
- In situ repair abilities of human umbilical cordderived mesenchymal stem cells and autocrosslinked hyaluronic acid gel complex in rhesus monkeys with... - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Be The Match BioTherapies and NantKwest Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Cell Therapy to Prevent COVID-19 Deaths - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAG - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microencapsulated Omega3 Powder Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Diaries: A Covid scientist on the hunt for a cure, and a GP on what doctors need to learn - Financial Times - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 14th, 2020
- AMC to use stem cell therapy in treating graft-versus-host disease - Korea Biomedical Review - May 7th, 2020
- 5 Stem Cell Companies Racing Towards COVID-19 ARDS Therapy - Seeking Alpha - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves AstraZeneca's Farxiga for Heart Failure in Adults with Reduced Ejection Fraction - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 5th, 2020
- Frontiers | Senescence in Mesenchymal Stem Cells ... - May 5th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Properties, Process, Functions ... - May 5th, 2020
- Pipeline: Immunotherapies and Other Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Expected to Witness the Highest Grow - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - May 5th, 2020
- Targeted pathological collagen delivery of sustained-release rapamycin to prevent heterotopic ossification - Science Advances - April 30th, 2020
- Biopharmas work to wallop COVID-19 respiratory effects, keeping patients off ventilators - BioWorld Online - April 30th, 2020
- EMA warns against unproven therapies - English - Agenzia ANSA - April 30th, 2020
- US FDA Allows Trial to Proceed for Retrotopes RT001 in the Treatment of Progressive SupraNuclear Palsy (PSP) - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows 83% survival of Coronavirus patients on ventilators - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- Researcher says stem cell activation could lie at root of health effects of many natural products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 26th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells: The 'Other' Bone Marrow Stem Cells - April 24th, 2020
- The Dual Nature of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs): Yin and ... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal - Stemcell Technologies - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Outlook with a Focus on Clinical Therapies 2020-2030: Types of Stem Cells, Route of Administration, Therapeutic Areas, End-users,... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for ... - April 24th, 2020
- Researchers turn to stem cells in COVID-19 battle How does the treatment work and does it pose any risk? - Times Now - April 24th, 2020