publication date: May. 29, 2020
FDA has approved Opdivo and Yervoy (nivolumab + ipilimumab) in combination with two cycles of platinum-doublet chemotherapy as first-line treatment for patients with metastatic or recurrent non-small cell lung cancer, with no epidermal growth factor receptor or anaplastic lymphoma kinase genomic tumor aberrations.
Opdivo and Yervoy are sponsored by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
Efficacy was investigated in CHECKMATE-9LA (NCT03215706), a randomized, open-label trial in patients with metastatic or recurrent NSCLC. Patients were randomized to receive either the combination of nivolumab plus ipilimumab and 2 cycles of platinum-doublet chemotherapy (n=361) or platinum-doublet chemotherapy for 4 cycles (n=358).
The trial demonstrated a statistically significant benefit in overall survival (OS) for patients treated with nivolumab plus ipilimumab plus chemotherapy compared to those who received chemotherapy. Median OS was 14.1 months (95% CI: 13.2, 16.2) versus 10.7 months (95% CI: 9.5, 12.5), HR 0.69; 96.71% CI: 0.55, 0.87).
Median progression-free survival per blinded independent central review (BICR) was 6.8 months (95% CI: 5.6, 7.7) in the nivolumab plus ipilimumab and chemotherapy arm and 5 months (95% CI: 4.3, 5.6) in the chemotherapy arm (HR 0.70; 95% CI: 0.57, 0.86). Confirmed overall response rate (ORR) per BICR was 38% (95% CI: 33, 43) and 25% (95% CI: 21, 30) respectively. Median response duration was 10 months in the nivolumab plus ipilimumab and chemotherapy arm, and 5.1 months in the chemotherapy arm.
FDA collaborated with the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration, Health Canada, and Singapores Health Sciences Authority on the review of this application as part of Project Orbis. FDA approved this application 2 months ahead of schedule. The FDA and HSA decisions are near-simultaneous, while the review of the applications is ongoing for the Australian TGA and Health Canada.
This review used the Real-Time Oncology Review. This application was granted priority review and fast track designation.
Brigatinib receives FDA approval for ALK-positive metastatic NSCLC
Brigatinib (Alunbrig) has received FDA approval for adult patients with anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive metastatic non-small cell lung cancer as detected by an FDA-approved test.
Alunbrig is sponsored by Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc.
FDA also approved the Vysis ALK Break Apart FISH Probe Kit (sponsored by Abbott Molecular Inc.) as a companion diagnostic for brigatinib.
Efficacy was investigated in ALTA 1L (NCT02737501), a randomized (1:1), open-label, multicenter trial in adult patients with advanced ALK-positive NSCLC who had not previously received an ALK-targeted therapy. The trial required patients to have an ALK rearrangement based on a local standard of care testing. The trial randomized 275 patients to receive brigatinib 180 mg orally once daily with a 7-day lead-in at 90 mg once daily (n=137) or crizotinib 250 mg orally twice daily (n=138). A subset of the clinical samples was retrospectively tested with the Vysis ALK Break Apart FISH Probe Kit. Of the enrolled patients, 239 had positive results using the Vysis diagnostic test (central results were negative for 20 patients and unavailable for 16 patients).
The major efficacy outcome measure was progression-free survival evaluated by a blinded independent review committee according to RECIST 1.1. Additional efficacy outcome measures as evaluated by the BIRC was confirmed overall response rate.
Estimated median PFS for patients treated with brigatinib was 24 months (95% CI: 18.5, NE) compared with 11 months (95% CI: 9.2, 12.9) for those treated with crizotinib (HR 0.49; 95% CI: 0.35, 0.68; p<.0001). Confirmed ORR was 74% (95% CI: 66, 81) and 62% (95% CI: 53, 70), respectively.
CLR 131 receives fast track designation in lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma/Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia
CLR 131 was granted FDA Fast Track Designation in lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma (LPL)/Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia in patients having received two prior treatment regimens or more.
CLR 131 is sponsored by Cellectar Biosciences Inc.
CLR 131 is a small-molecule, cancer-targeting radiotherapeutic Phospholipid Drug Conjugate designed to deliver cytotoxic radiation directly and selectively to cancer cells and cancer stem cells. It is being evaluated in Cellectars phase II CLOVER-1 clinical study in patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma and lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma/Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia.
LPL/WM patients that do not respond optimally or are intolerant of ibrutinib, currently have limited treatment options and poor survival rates, James Caruso, president and CEO of Cellectar, said in a statement.
All four LPL/WM patients treated in our CLOVER-1 phase II study to date achieved a 100% overall response rate and a 25% complete response rate.
This strong response rate may represent an important improvement in the treatment of relapsed/refractory LPL/WM as no approved or late-stage development treatments for relapsed or refractory patients have reported complete responses, Caruso said.
FDA granted CLR 131 in LPL Orphan Drug Designation earlier this year.
See the original post:
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 16th, 2020
- How frogs became green again, and again, and again : Research Highlights - Nature.com - July 16th, 2020
- Pressing ahead - PharmaTimes - July 16th, 2020
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Brings on Myron S. Czuczman, MD as Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Executive Vice President - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2020
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Seen to Help COPD Patients with Severe Inflammation - COPD News Today - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Ide-cel Appears Active in Almost Three-Fourths of Heavily Pretreated Patients with Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020
- US bishop: We must halt development of any coronavirus vaccine derived from aborted babies - Lifesite - April 29th, 2020