EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- NantKwest, Inc. (NASDAQ: NK) and ImmunityBio, Inc., clinical-stage immunotherapy companies within the NantWorks family of companies, today announced they are in active discussions with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for vaccines and therapeutics to combat COVID-19.
Leveraging ImmunityBios expertise in vaccine development and natural killer cell activation, with a broad platform of immunomodulators currently in clinical trials for cancer and infectious diseases, and NantKwests extensive experience in off-the-shelf, cell-based therapeutics, the companies are combining their resources to design and develop therapeutics and vaccines for COVID-19.
Were in a race against time, but I am confident that, as a result of the incredible hard work the NantKwest, ImmunityBio, and the global scientific communities are undertaking, we will find effective therapeutics and vaccines against this coronavirus, said Patrick Soon-Shiong, M.D., Chairman & CEO of NantKwest and ImmunityBio.
The biological, immunological, and physiological status of the patients medical state should inform the treatment strategy to reverse the infectivity and tissue damage caused by this virus. ImmunityBio and NantKwest have developed immunomodulator regimens for COVID-19 based on the biological stage of the patients infection - from the mild, moderate to the severe or critically ill state.
In the mild-to-moderate stage of infection, we believe that the patients infection and viral load could be mitigated with natural killer (NK) and T cell stimulation. Hence, in this early-moderate stage of the disease, we are proposing clinical trials of N-803 alone, and a second trial of haNK alone, or haNK combined with convalescent plasma, said Dr. Soon-Shiong.
Investigational New Drug (IND) applications with the FDA for these trials are pending. ImmunityBios Il-15 superagonist N-803 is currently being used in clinical trials for other indications and has achieved Breakthrough Therapy Designation from the FDA for the treatment of BCG-unresponsive non-muscle invasive bladder carcinoma in situ (NMIBC-CIS) patients. It has also demonstrated encouraging results in lowering the viral load in SHIV-infected monkeys, as announced last month at the Annual Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI).
In patients requiring ventilatory support in the severe state of COVID-19 disease, we are exploring the use of bone marrow-derived allogenic mesenchymal stem cells (BM-Allo-MSC) to mitigate the cytopathic storm, said Dr. Soon-Shiong.
NantKwest has proprietary isolation and expansion methods for growing MSCs and is using ImmunityBios automated, closed system (GMP-in-a-Box) to safely and rapidly grow these stem cells from a bone marrow cell bank in approximately 7-9 days. NantKwest has filed an IND with the FDA and anticipates beginning trials in Q2 2020.
Vaccines: Developing a platform for both initial immunizations and subsequent booster injections
First generation Adenovirus platforms (Ad5) currently in use are disadvantaged by inducing adenovirus neutralizing antibodies, thus limiting multiple doses and reducing the immune response to the antigen of interest. ImmunityBio has overcome this obstacle through the development of a second generation Ad5 platform. Through multiple deletions in the adenovirus genome, this next generation platform establishes a vector that is immunologically quiet as it relates to adenovirus protein production in the host dendritic cell and enables this same Ad5 vector to serve both as a prime and a boost treatment, even in patients with pre-existing adenovirus immunity. This second-generation Ad5 [E1-, E2b-, E3- deleted] platform has demonstrated safety in Phase I and Phase II studies in immunosuppressed cancer patients.
Furthermore ImmunityBio has extensive infectious disease experience with this second generation Ad5 platform and has published several peer-reviewed articles on studies demonstrating humoral and cell mediated immunity in H1N1 Influenza, HIV, SIV, Lassa Fever, Chikungunya, and Zika virus infections.
While development of therapies is urgently needed in this crisis, as urgent is the need to develop a vaccine with long-lasting cell-mediated immunity. Developing vaccines in the time of pandemics requires novel approaches and the use of modernized genomics, molecular dynamics, and vectors that are proven to induce cell-mediated immunity, with mass scale production capabilities. In 2009, with the H1N1 crisis, the scientific team developing this second generation Ad5 platform demonstrated that such a vaccine for the H1N1 pandemic could be developed in six weeks from identification of the H1N1 sequence. This experience in 2009 allows ImmunityBio to respond as rapidly as possible to the COVID-19 pandemic, continued Dr. Soon-Shiong. I view the spike (S) protein and the nucleocapsid (N) protein as the equivalent of a neoantigen in cancer. A recent study by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) in patients with advanced cancer, published in The Oncologist reported positive evidence that this platform could induce antigen-specific T cell immunity, even in the face of previous adenoviral immunity, said Dr. Soon-Shiong. Together with our scientific collaborators at the NCI, we have recently published evidence that the Ad5 platform can successfully induce cell-mediated immunity following the administration of Ad5-Neoantigens, with total remission of the tumor in pre-clinical models. Based on these findings, we are hopeful that the Ad platform could induce a similar immune response to this novel Coronavirus antigen.
NantKwest (NASDAQ: NK) is an innovative, clinical-stage immunotherapy company focused on harnessing the power of the innate immune system to treat cancer and virally-induced infectious diseases. NantKwest is the leading producer of clinical dose forms of off-the-shelf natural killer (NK) cell therapies. The activated NK cell platform is designed to destroy cancer and virally-infected cells. The safety of these optimized, activated NK cellsas well as their activity against a broad range of cancershas been tested in phase I clinical trials in Canada and Europe, as well as in multiple phase I and II clinical trials in the United States. By leveraging an integrated and extensive genomics and transcriptomics discovery and development engine, together with a pipeline of multiple, clinical-stage, immuno-oncology programs, NantKwests goal is to transform medicine by delivering living drugs-in-a-bag and bringing novel NK cell-based therapies to routine clinical care. NantKwest is a member of the NantWorks ecosystem of companies. For more information, please visit http://www.nantkwest.com
haNK is a registered trademark of NantKwest, Inc.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include statements concerning or implying that NantKwest will be successful in improving the treatment of cancer. Risks and uncertainties related to this endeavor include, but are not limited to, obtaining FDA approval of NantKwests NK cells as well as other therapeutics as part of the NANT Cancer Vaccine platform as a cancer treatment.
Forward-looking statements are based on managements current expectations and are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Accordingly, these forward-looking statements do not constitute guarantees of future performance, and you are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
These and other risks regarding NantKwests business are described in detail in its Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including in NantKwests Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2019. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof, and we disclaim any obligation to update these statements except as may be required by law.
ImmunityBio, Inc. is a privately-held immunotherapy company with a broad portfolio of biological molecules at clinical stages of development. The companys goals are to employ this portfolio to activate endogenous natural killer and CD8+ T cells in the fields of cancer and infectious disease. Specifically, ImmunityBios goal is to develop a memory T-cell cancer vaccine to combat multiple tumor typeswithout the use of high-dose chemotherapy. Regarding infectious disease, ImmunityBio is addressing HIV, influenza, and the coronavirus.
ImmunityBios first-in-human platform of technologies has enabled it to achieve one of the most comprehensive, late-stage clinical pipelines, activating both the innate (natural killer cell) and adaptive immune systems. The product pipeline includes an albumin-linked chemotherapeutic (Aldoxorubicin), a novel IL-15 cytokine superagonist (N-803), checkpoint inhibitors, macrophage polarizing peptides, bi-specific fusion proteins targeting TGFb and IL-12, adenovirus, and yeast vaccine therapies targeting tumor-associated antigens and neoepitopes.
In December 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation to N-803 for BCG-unresponsive CIS non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC). Other indications currently at registration-stage trials include BCG-unresponsive papillary bladder cancer, first- and second-line lung cancer, and metastatic pancreatic cancer.
ImmunityBios goal is to develop therapies, including vaccines, for the prevention and treatment of HIV, influenza, and the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include statements concerning or implying that ImmunityBio will be successful in improving the treatment of various diseases, including, but not limited to the novel coronavirus and cancer. Risks and uncertainties related to this endeavor include, but are not limited to, the companys beliefs regarding the success, cost and timing of its development activities and clinical trials.
Forward-looking statements are based on managements current expectations and are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Accordingly, these forward-looking statements do not constitute guarantees of future performance, and you are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof, and we disclaim any obligation to update these statements except as may be required by law.
: ImmunityBio Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for N-803 IL-15 Superagonist in NMIBC December 4, 2019 https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191204005300/en/ImmunityBio-Granted-FDA-Breakthrough-Therapy-Designation-N-803
: ImmunityBio Announces Durable Virus Control of SHIV Without Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) by Activating NK and Memorty T Cells with N-803, an IL-15 Superagonist March 10, 2020 https://immunitybio.com/immunitybio-announces-durable-virus-control-of-shiv-without-anti-retroviral-therapy-by-activating-nk-and-memory-t-cells-with-n-803-an-il-15-superagonist/
: Combination IL-15 Therapy in a SHIV NHP Model Presented at Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) March 8-11, 2020 Boston, Massachusetts http://www.croiconference.org/sessions/combination-il-15-therapy-shiv-nhp-model
: Prevention of Influenza Virus Shedding and Protection from Lethal H1N1 Challenge Using a Consensus 2009 H1N1 HA and NA Adenovirus Vector Vaccine. Vaccine. 2011 Sep 16; 29(40): 70207026. Published 2011 Aug 5. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.07.073
: Induction and Comparison of SIV Immunity in Ad5 Nave and Ad5 Immne Non-Human Primates Using an Ad5 [E1-, E2b-] Based Vaccine. Vaccine. 2011 Oct 19;29(45):8101-7. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.08.038. Epub 2011 Aug 22.
: Control of SIV Infection and Subsequent Induction of Pandemic H1N1 Immunity in Rhesus Macaques Using an Ad5 [E1-, E2b-] Vector Platform.Vaccine. 2012 Nov 26; 30(50): 72657270. Published 2012 Oct 2. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.09.058
: Adenoviral Vector-Based Vaccine is Fully Protective Against Lethal Lassa Fever Vhallenge in Hartley Guinea Pigs. Vaccine..2019 Oct 23;37(45):6824-6831. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2019.09.030. Epub 2019 Sep 24.
: A Phase I Trial Using a Multitargeted Recombinant Adenovirus 5 (CEA/MUC1/Brachyury)Based Immunotherapy Vaccine Regimen in Patients with Advanced Cancer. The Oncol. doi:10.1634/theoncologist.2019-0608
: Efficient Tumor Clearance and Diversified Immunity Through Neoepitope Vaccines and Combinatorial Immunotherapy. Cancer Immunology Research July 2019 DOI: 10.1158/2326-6066.CIR-18-0620
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200414005353/en/
See the original post:
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- IHS Pets: Bringing Cell And Gene Therapy To Cats, Dogs & Horses - Anti Aging News - July 4th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Jim Schoeneck, Accomplished Biotech Executive, to Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - July 4th, 2020
- Biology of Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Bentham Science - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Skeletal Regeneration ... - July 1st, 2020
- Amniotic Membranes Market is Projected to Expand at a CAGR of ~10% From 2019 to 2027 - Science Examiner - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 Projections, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Companies Strategies and Forecast 2024 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher,... - July 1st, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 30th, 2020
- Amniotic Membrane Market by Product, Application and Forecast to 2027 TMR - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Global ? How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in recent years? - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market Size, 2020-New Technological Change Helping Market, Application, Driver, - PharmiWeb.com - June 30th, 2020
- Research on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: PromoCell, ThermoFisher, KURABO, Merck, and - 3rd Watch... - June 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Size, Share, Progress Insight, Share, Trends, Industry Key Players-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And... - June 23rd, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020 Opportunity Ahead of Earnings with evox THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United Therapeutics... - June 23rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020 - Owned - June 19th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Regional Analysis, key Drivers and Restraints, by Product, Top Players and Forecast Analysis 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - June 19th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - 3rd Watch News - June 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy Options for Horses With Osteoarthritis - TheHorse.com - June 14th, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - P&T Community - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Therapeutics: The Leading Contenders - Seeking Alpha - June 6th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics, ImStem Biotechnology sign non-binding letter of intent regarding investigational MSC candidate IMS001 for Covid-19 - Pharmaceutical... - June 3rd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 3rd, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - PRNewswire - June 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (ASX:MSB) reveals promising trial results for lung disease treatment - The Market Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Photoaged Skin Therapy with Adipose-Derived Stem Cells - MedicalResearch.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Intravenously Delivered Mesenchymal Stem Cells Prevent Microvascular Obstruction Formation After Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury - DocWire News - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities,... - June 2nd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Primary Cells Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Bandera County Courier - June 2nd, 2020
- Could Cell Therapy Target the Symptoms of Severe... - Labiotech.eu - May 25th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: ASCO Presentations In The Spotlight - Yahoo Finance - May 25th, 2020
- In situ repair abilities of human umbilical cordderived mesenchymal stem cells and autocrosslinked hyaluronic acid gel complex in rhesus monkeys with... - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Be The Match BioTherapies and NantKwest Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Cell Therapy to Prevent COVID-19 Deaths - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAG - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microencapsulated Omega3 Powder Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Diaries: A Covid scientist on the hunt for a cure, and a GP on what doctors need to learn - Financial Times - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 14th, 2020
- AMC to use stem cell therapy in treating graft-versus-host disease - Korea Biomedical Review - May 7th, 2020
- 5 Stem Cell Companies Racing Towards COVID-19 ARDS Therapy - Seeking Alpha - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves AstraZeneca's Farxiga for Heart Failure in Adults with Reduced Ejection Fraction - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- Pass the MUST-ARDS: Athersys starts pivotal study for stem cells to treat COVID-19-induced ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 7th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 5th, 2020
- Frontiers | Senescence in Mesenchymal Stem Cells ... - May 5th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Properties, Process, Functions ... - May 5th, 2020
- Pipeline: Immunotherapies and Other Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Expected to Witness the Highest Grow - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - May 5th, 2020
- Targeted pathological collagen delivery of sustained-release rapamycin to prevent heterotopic ossification - Science Advances - April 30th, 2020
- Biopharmas work to wallop COVID-19 respiratory effects, keeping patients off ventilators - BioWorld Online - April 30th, 2020
- EMA warns against unproven therapies - English - Agenzia ANSA - April 30th, 2020
- US FDA Allows Trial to Proceed for Retrotopes RT001 in the Treatment of Progressive SupraNuclear Palsy (PSP) - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows 83% survival of Coronavirus patients on ventilators - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- Researcher says stem cell activation could lie at root of health effects of many natural products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 26th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells: The 'Other' Bone Marrow Stem Cells - April 24th, 2020
- The Dual Nature of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs): Yin and ... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal - Stemcell Technologies - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Outlook with a Focus on Clinical Therapies 2020-2030: Types of Stem Cells, Route of Administration, Therapeutic Areas, End-users,... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for ... - April 24th, 2020