Human-animal chimeric embryosorganisms created using cells from two or more specieshave the potential to change how researchers study disease and generate organs and tissues for human transplants. One day, scientists have proposed, it may be possible for someone with, say, pancreatic cancer to have their stem cells injected into a modified swine embryo lacking its own pancreas so it can grow the human organ for donation.
Already, human-animal chimeric embryos (HACEs) have been created using human cells injected into pigs, sheep, mice, rats, and monkeys, although none in the US have been brought to term. In fact, their very existence is ethically contentious. What happens, for example, if scientists were to grow a human brain in an animal, blurring the line between species?
In response to ethical, social, and legal concerns, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) issued a moratorium on funding for HACE research in 2015 pending the development of a new set of regulatory guidelines. While research continues in other countriesand even in the US, through collaborations with foreign researchers and private fundingthe NIH has yet to reverse its decision, despite previous announcements that it would do so.
To gauge the American publics support for HACE research, Francis Shen, a professor of law at the University of Minnesota, recreated two recent surveys carried out in Japan, where many of the worlds HACE studies are done. In those surveys, Shens colleagues found that the majority of the Japanese public supported the use of HACEs, although their feelings varied depending on the type of organ or tissue being grown. We thought, Boy, itd be really interesting to see if the American public thinks about things the same way, Shen tells The Scientist.
Shens team directly translated the Japanese surveys into English, asking 430 participants to rate their support for each of the three steps involved in producing an organ using HACE technology: the insertion of human stem cells into an animal embryo, the transplanting of the embryo into a surrogate, and the harvesting of the resulting organ for use in a human. As before, they gauged peoples reactions to organ and tissue types, including skin, liver, blood, heart, brain, and gametes.
The Scientistspoke with Shen about the results of the US study, published today (October 1) in Stem Cell Reports.
University of Minnesota Law School
Francis Shen:Organ transplantation is a major goal, and that would be a major breakthrough. When I describe [HACEs] to . . . colleagues who maybe havent heard of them before, I talk about organ transplantation. And they understand that, yes, if you grow an organ from your own cells, it makes intuitive sense that your body might be more receptive.
I think there are also a large number of applications that fall broadly under regenerative medicine. One is to better understand the mechanisms of disease and organ function. Theres basic science advances to be achieved there. And then there are applied clinical advances and improvements in treatment across a wide range of diseases and disorders. We can develop better interventions, pharmacological and otherwise. The techniques are not just about improving organ donation. There are also a number of ways, through both basic and applied science, this work can really improve our knowledge and therefore response to any number of diseases and disorders.
FS: One of the main findings was that there seems to be very broad support, even broader than in the Japanese public, for the different steps of HACE research. Support was 59 percent, so a strong majority, support all three steps, including the returning of the organ into a human.
Second was that there are some differences across subgroups in the public. One thing that we thought was interesting is that, although lower, in some instances the support of those who are politically conservative was still quite strong . . . suggesting that this type of stem cell researchusing [induced pluripotent stem] cells and not embryonic stem cells harvested from a fetusperhaps could be more politically palatable.
FS:[People are] more accepting of using HACEs to grow things like livers and skin than sperm, eggs, or brains, and I think it gets to humanization. Its speculation, but I think its informed speculation based on other ethical scholarship and work that has been done. A liver is kind of a liver, it doesnt seem to have too many special properties, but the sperm and the egg and the brain, those are part and parcel of a person. So it feels much more ethically concerning to grow a person in a pig, as opposed to growing just some constituent part of a person.
Someone has a heart transplant or a liver transplant, and it just kind of seems to make more sense. I think theres a cultural acceptance and understanding thats easier to analogize to.
There are a series of ethical concerns, and we tried pretty hard in the paper to emphasize that. They include animal welfare, human dignity, and then the potential for the neurological humanization of chimeric animals.
I think addressing them is tremendously important. Although the NIH has a moratorium presently, it doesnt mean this type of research isnt going to happen. If the NIH doesnt fund it with these ethical guidelines in place, it could be funded and produced elsewhere outside of NIH purview. So not only is there an opportunity to set the ethics frameworks here, theres almost an imperative to do so.
The bottom line for me is that the ethics and the laws and regulation should go hand in hand with the development of the research. And to do that productively means we need to get together and work through these complicated issues. What our study suggests is that the American public would like us to do that.
Editors note: The interview was edited for brevity.
- Accelerating Sales in North America to Drive the Stem Cell Therapy market between 2020 and 2030 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market in Global : Current and the Future Trends: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell Technologies Inc - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Size on Target to Reach US$ 17.79 Billion 2027 - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- GFI1: New Role Uncovered for a Protein Involved in Hearing : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - December 3rd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo -... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- This Date in UCSF History: Election Offers Mixed Bag of Results - Synapse - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 28th, 2020
- TRF2-mediated telomere protection is dispensable in pluripotent stem cells - Nature.com - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020: Rising with Immense Development Trends across the Globe by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - November 26th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 26th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Dr. David Steenblock - Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - BlogTalkRadio - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- University of Alberta research team poised to cure diabetesagain - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - November 23rd, 2020
- New Role For Serotonin Identified In The Evolution Of The Developing Brain - Anti Aging News - November 18th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - November 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market is Projected to Reach $6,956 million by 2023 | Leading key players are Cord Blood Registry, ViaCord, Cryo-Cell, China Cord... - November 14th, 2020
- California approves billions for stem-cell research - Modern Healthcare - November 14th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Strategic Assessment BioLife Solutions, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - KYT24 - November 14th, 2020
- The heart of a mouse embryo was first created from stem cells - FREE NEWS - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020
- The story of mRNA: From a loose idea to a tool that may help curb Covid - STAT - November 11th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - PRnews Leader - November 10th, 2020
- Californias stem cell measure ahead by narrow margin with millions of ballots still left to count - The Mercury News - November 8th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Emerging Trends, Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Factor with Regional Forecast, Segmentation, Investment Opportunities, Industry Research and End User Analysis... - November 8th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Lebanon Express - November 8th, 2020
- U.S. elections bring wins and losses for research community - Science Magazine - November 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market : By Component, by Application, by Component Mode, and By Region Global Forecast up to 2026 -... - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Exceed Revenues Worth US$ By The End Of 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Forecast 2027| Merck Group,... - November 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Demand, Share, Global Trend, Top Key Players Update, Business Statistics And Research Methodology By Forecast... - November 4th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2020-2026 - PRnews Leader - November 2nd, 2020
- Study Identifies Pitfall for Correcting Mutations in Human Embryos with CRISPR - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - October 31st, 2020
- Local researchers make stem cell breakthrough - Times of Malta - October 25th, 2020
- Happiness neurotransmitter serotonin plays role in evolutionary expansion of the neocortex - News-Medical.net - October 25th, 2020
- Mice Model Market Research Report 2020 - Global Forecast to 2025 & Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 22nd, 2020
- For researchers, including some in St. John's, gene editing is now as a precise as film editing - TheChronicleHerald.ca - October 22nd, 2020
- Competitive Landscape of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Global Industry Size, Volume, Trends and Revenue Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- The Infodemic: Was Regeneron COVID-19 Treatment Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissue? - Voice of America - October 17th, 2020
- I've Spent Decades Studying How People Build Their Families. Here's What I've Learned Matters Most - TIME - October 14th, 2020
- Was Trump's Regeneron 'Cure' Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissues? - Snopes.com - October 14th, 2020
- Election 2020: Prop. 14 would boost funding on stem-cell research - San Francisco Business Times - October 10th, 2020
- Factcheck: Regenerons use of embryonic stem cells - Security Boulevard - October 10th, 2020
- Proposition 14: With Just Handful of Cures, California Stem Cell Agency's Fate Is In Hands of Voters - KQED - October 10th, 2020
- Antibody cocktail given to Trump is controversial, and not only because its still under trial - ThePrint - October 10th, 2020
- The global regenerative medicine market is projected to reach USD 17.9 billion by 2025 from USD 8.5 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 15.9% - Yahoo... - October 10th, 2020
- University of Wisconsin Researchers Use Stem Cells to Treat Parkinson's - Gilmore Health News - October 10th, 2020
- Thinking It Through: Only two of 12 statewide propositions should be approved - VVdailypress.com - October 10th, 2020
- Mesoblast Needs A Solution To MSC Scalability Issues - Cynata Therapeutics Has An Answer - Seeking Alpha - October 10th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market | Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Set to Witness an Uptick during 2020 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Factors, Rising Trends and Outlook 2020 to 2027 - X Herald - October 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Industry Report 2020 | COVID19 Impact Analysis With... - October 5th, 2020
- Stem cell studies probe origins of the placenta - Science - October 2nd, 2020
- No on Prop 14: Not the best way to support stem-cell research - Los Angeles Times - October 2nd, 2020
- $1.9 Billion Mice Model Market by Mice Type, Technology, Application, Service, Care Products - Global Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 2nd, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2018-2023 - The Market Records - October 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Patenting Stem Cell Inventions in India- What to Expect? - Lexology - September 11th, 2020