DURHAM, N.C. -- A team of Duke University researchers has developed a lab-grown living lung model that mimics the tiny air sacs of the lungs where coronavirus infection and serious lung damage take place. This advance has enabled them to watch the battle between the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus and lung cells at the finest molecular scale.
The virus damages the delicate, balloon-like air sacs, known as alveoli, leading to pneumonia and acute respiratory distress, the leading cause of death in Covid-19 patients. But scientists have been hampered in Covid-19 studies by the lack of experimental models that mimic human lung tissues.
Now, a team led by Duke cell biologist Purushothama Rao Tata has developed a model using lung organoids, also dubbed mini-lungs in a dish. The organoids are grown from alveolar epithelial type-2 cells (AT2s) which are the stem cells that repair the deepest portions of the lungs where SARS-CoV-2 attacks.
Earlier research at Duke had shown that just one AT2 cell, isolated into tiny dishes, could multiply to produce millions of cells that assemble themselves into balloon-like organoids that look just like alveoli. However, the soup in which the cells were grown contained complex ingredients such as serum from cows that is not completely defined.
Tatas group took on the big challenge of predicting and testing many combinations of chemically pure factors that would do the job just as well, a problem that required close co-operation with Dukes shared computing cluster.
The result is a purely human organoid without any helper cells. Mini-lungs grown in tiny wells will enable high throughput science, in which hundreds of experiments can be run simultaneously to screen for new drug candidates or to identify self-defense chemicals produced by lung cells in response to infection.
This is a versatile model system that allows us to study not only SARS-CoV-2, but any respiratory virus that targets these cells, including influenza, Tata said. A paper describing the development of the mini-lungs and some early experiments with coronavirus infection appeared early online Oct. 21 in the journal Cell Stem Cell.
In using mini-lungs to study SARS-CoV-2 infection, Tatas team collaborated with virology colleagues at Duke and the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. To safely handle these deadly viruses, the researchers utilized state-of-the art biosafety level 3 facilities at Duke and UNC-CH to infect lung organoids. The researchers watched the gene activity and chemical signals that are produced by the lung cells after infection.
This is a major breakthrough for the field because we were using cells that didnt have purified cultures, said Ralph Baric, a co-author on the paper who is a distinguished professor of epidemiology, microbiology and immunology at UNC and world authority on coronaviruses. The Duke mini-lungs are 100 percent human with no supporting cells that could confuse findings. This is incredibly elegant work to figure out how to purify and grow AT2 cells in culture in pure form, Baric said.
Barics lab is capable of changing any nucleotide of the Covid-19 viruss genetic code at will, so it produced a glowing version that would reveal where it went in the mini-lungs, confirming that it did indeed home in on the crucial ACE2 cell surface receptor, leading to infection.
When infected with the virus, the organoids were shown to launch an inflammatory response mediated by interferons. The researchers have also witnessed the cytokine storm of immune molecules the lungs launch in response to the virus.
It was thought cytokine storm happened due to the large influx of immune cells, but we can see it also happens in the lung stem cells themselves, Tata said.
Tatas lab found the cells produced interferons and experienced self-destructive cell death, just as samples from Covid-19 patients have shown. The signal for cell suicide was sometimes triggered in uninfected neighboring lung cells as well, as the cells struggled to get ahead of the virus. The researchers also compared the gene activity patterns between the mini-lungs and samples from six severe Covid-19 patients and found they agreed with striking similarity.
Weve only been able to see this from autopsies until now, Tata said. Now we have a way to figure out how to energize the cells to fight against this deadly virus.
In another series of experiments, mini-lungs treated with low doses of interferons before infection were able to slow viral copying. But suppressing interferon activity before infection led to increased viral replication.
Tata, who is a part of Dukes regenerative medicine initiative, Regeneration Next, said his lab was working on growing the mini lungs in mid-2019 and had achieved a working model just as the coronavirus pandemic emerged. He said his group will be working with both academic and industry partners to use these cells for cell-based therapies and eventually to try to grow a complete lung for transplantation.
Baric said his lab will probably be using the mini-lungs to better understand a new strain of SARS-CoV-2 called D614G that has become the dominant version of the virus. This strain, which emerged in Italy, has a spike protein that is apparently more efficient at recognizing the ACE2 receptor on lung cells, making it even more infectious.
This research was performed with support from the Chan Zuckerberg Foundation, the U.S. National Institutes of Health (UC6-AI058607, AI132178, AI149644, R00HL127181, R01HL146557, R01HL153375, R21GM1311279, F30HL143911, DK065988), Duke University and United Therapeutics Corporation.
CITATION: Human Lung Alveolospheres Provide Insights Into SARS-Cov-2 Mediated Interferon Responses and Pneumocyte Dysfunction, Hiroaki Katsura*, Vishwaraj Sontake*, Aleksandra Tata*, Yoshihiko Kobayashi*, Caitlin E. Edwards*, Brook E. Heaton, Arvind Konkimalla, Takanori Asakura, Yu Mikami, Ethan J. Fritch, Patty J. Lee, Nicholas S. Heaton, Richard C. Boucher, Scott H. Randell, Ralph S. Baric, Purushothama Rao Tata.* indicates co-first authors. Cell Stem Cell, early online Oct. 21, 2020. DOI: 10.1016/j.stem.2020.10.005
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Size, Data, Developments, Global Demand, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 |... - November 28th, 2020
- The Thorough Analysis Of The Global Stem Cell Media market Research During COVID-19 Health Crisis - The Courier - November 28th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020 with Manufacturing Process Analysis and Market Concentration Rate till 2026... - November 28th, 2020
- Europe Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User, and... - November 28th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 28th, 2020
- Adherence to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation to Improve Survival in Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 26th, 2020
- Cutting edge technology used to bioprint miniature human kidneys in the lab - News-Medical.Net - November 26th, 2020
- Scaffold Technology Market Research Report by Product, by Application, by End-User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - November 26th, 2020
- New study on CRISPR: the stake of unintended consequences in embryos - BioNews - November 26th, 2020
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Computational Stem Cell Biology job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 234737 - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 23rd, 2020
- No cells from aborted fetus are in COVID-19 vaccines; that rumor is patently false - OregonLive - November 23rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020: Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Vendors, Types, Applications, Forecast by Focusing... - November 23rd, 2020
- Gene-edited monkey embryos give researchers new way to study HIV cure - University of Wisconsin-Madison - November 23rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market 2020-2028 Sanofi, Caladrius Biosciences, Novo Nordisk, Mesoblast,... - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Sales Market Stem Cell Media Sales Market Sales and Forecast Analyzed in a New Research Study - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Industry Analysis and Trends Forecast to 2026 Thermo Fisher, CellGenix, Lonza, STEMCELL Technologies, Corning - The Think... - November 10th, 2020
- Her favorite part of research was the patients, so she switched to primary... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - November 10th, 2020
- Brain Development and Disorder Research Receives $1.5 Million NSF Boost - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - November 8th, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 6th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis -... - November 6th, 2020
- Epithelial Stem Cells Market 2026 Industry Trends, Size, Growth Insight, Share, Emerging Technologies, Share, Competitive, Regional, And Global... - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size: Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis 2020-2027 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- The Stem Cell-Derived Cells market to go the astute way from 2019 to 2029 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Proposition 14 would borrow up to $5.5B in bonds to fund stem cell research - Daily Bruin - October 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market: Market Growth Factors, Applications, Regional Analysis, Key Players and Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy: A Ray of Hope to End Global Pandemic of COVID-19 | Roots Analysis - The Think Curiouser - October 31st, 2020
- Checking Science On The Ballot - Science Friday - October 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market Dynamics Analysis, Production, Supply and Demand, Covered in the Latest Research 2020-2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 31st, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Leading Players, Industry Updates, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2027: Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics,... - October 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Chipscreen... - October 29th, 2020
- University of Michigan's Yukiko Yamashita discusses the mechanisms of long-term genomic maintenance - The Brown Daily Herald - October 29th, 2020
- Epithelial Stem Cells Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview, Development by Companies and Comparative Analysis by 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2020-2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Global Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Leading Players, Industry Updates, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 29th, 2020
- Prop 14: Don't Stand Idly By - Jewish Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 In-depth Analysis by Leading Players The Think Curiouser - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Celebrities and Astronauts to "Show up for Science" at the NYSCF Gala & Science Fair - WFMZ Allentown - October 28th, 2020
- Government of Canada invests in regenerative medicine, genomics research to support Canadians' health - Canada NewsWire - October 28th, 2020
- Tony-Winner David Rockwell to Be Honored By NYSCF As Part Of First Ever Virtual Gala - Broadway World - October 28th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Worldwide Industry Analysis, Future Demand and Forecast upto 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- NexImmune Establishes Research Initiative with City of Hope to Focus on Novel Immunotherapeutic Approaches to Acute Myeloid Leukemia - GlobeNewswire - October 28th, 2020
- Yes on Proposition 14: Help us build the Bridge to Everywhere (in biomedicine) - Eureka Times-Standard - October 25th, 2020
- Mystery Solved: How Do Tips of Plants Stay Virus-Free in Face of Intensive Infection? - SciTechDaily - October 25th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma & Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020: Reporting and Evaluation of Recent Industry Developments - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Celebrities and Astronauts to "Show up for Science" at the NYSCF Gala & Science Fair - PRNewswire - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Neural Stem Cell Market Research Report on Opportunities, Drivers and Threats Outlook, Covid-19 Impact by 2026 | Futuristic Reports - The Think... - October 24th, 2020
- The six non-negotiables of Catholic voting The Troubadour Online - The Troubadour Online - October 24th, 2020
- Harnessing regeneration of retinal tissues: An option almost within reach - Ophthalmology Times - October 22nd, 2020
- Catalent and BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announce Partnership for the Manufacture of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Platform Therapy NurOwn - GlobeNewswire - October 22nd, 2020
- What's on my ballot? An overview of California's 2020 propositions - KTVU San Francisco - October 22nd, 2020
- latest Research Report: Stem Cell Therapy Market Future Outlook of Statistics on Industry Growth till 2026| Cellular Dynamics International, Osiris... - October 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Report to Describe Major Companies and Their Strategies (2019-2024) - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Be Biopharma debuts with $52M to advance engineered B-cell therapies - FierceBiotech - October 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- Stem cell research, clinical use of 'magic mushrooms' among issues on state ballots this year - Science Magazine - October 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCS) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCS) Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Study COVID19 Impact Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Harvard Business School and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from Chris and Carrie Shumway to... - October 20th, 2020
- FAU researchers receive NIH funding to analyze stem cell activation - News-Medical.net - October 20th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2027: ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime,... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Detailed Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Growth Forecast 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Expected to Witness High Growth - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - October 20th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAGR during the period 2020 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Global Market Report 2020 2025: Post Covid 19 Impact and Recovery - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 18th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Worldwide Industry to Boost in the Period of 2020-2025 - Express Journal - October 18th, 2020
- Biomedical Engineering Team Contributes to High-impact Study on Metabolism - University of Arkansas Newswire - October 17th, 2020
- Prop. 14: In the COVID age, can California still afford its stem cell research program? - CALmatters - October 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market In-Depth Analysis & Forecast 2017-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 17th, 2020
- What Proposition 14 Tells Us About California - The New York Times - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 17th, 2020
- What is human fetal tissue research and why is it done - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- U of T's Medicine by Design invests $1 million to advance new ideas in regenerative medicine - News@UofT - October 10th, 2020
- AIVITA Biomedical's Stem Cell Therapeutic in Vision Loss Published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Vision Science - BioSpace - October 10th, 2020
- Researchers drastically reduce the harvest period of stem cell sheets - News-Medical.net - October 10th, 2020
- Oakland University researchers acquire flow cytometry cell sorter with NSF grant - 2020 - College of Arts and Sciences - News - OU Magazine - News at... - October 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell-based Therapeutics Market Market Size, Share, Industry Report by Growt - PharmiWeb.com - October 10th, 2020