The Nara Institute of Science and Technology and Nanjing University have recently discovered that a tiny multifunctional protein called KNUCKLES or KNU benefits flowers, particularly in their development.
As specified in a Phys.org report, this protein helps a flower complete its development in both the right and timely manner.
KNU halts a feedback loop between a pair of genes, performing various roles to enable the flower's proper formation of reproductive organs within a short period. This study will be helpful for genetic research of food crops, as well as the production of food worldwide.
How flowers are forming properly within a limited period of time has remained a mystery, at least until the present. Scientists from China and Japan have discovered the manner a multi-tasking protein is helping flowers to develop as expected.
ALSO READ:New Study Reveals Large Bumblebees Learn the Best Flowers' Spots
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons)Arabidopsis thaliana at the rosette stage
In the study, Robust control of floral meristem determinacy by position-specific multiple functions of KNUCKLES, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers from Nanjing University and Nara Institute of Science and Technology have found that a tiny protein is playing multiple roles to guarantee that floral reproductive organs are properly formed within a short span of time.
Flowers are developing from floral meristems, differentiating to yield the sepals, carpels, and stamens. These floral organs' proper development depends on meristem development being completed within a specific timeframe.
In the flower development's early stages, stem cells offer the cell source for the formation of the floral organs. Meanwhile, in floral meristems, stem cell activities are retained through a feedback loop between a gene that identifies floral stem cells called WUSCHEL or WUS, and a stem cell mark gene stimulated and sustained by WUS called CLAVATA3 or CLV3.
According to Erlei Shang, lead author of the study, KNUCKLES, the small protein represses WUS directly, which results in the completion of floral stem cell activity in a timely manner.
What is not completely understood, Shag continued, is how the strong floral stem cell activity completes within a limited timeframe to guarantee carpel development.
This team's research showed that in Arabidopsis thaliana, explained Toshiro Ito, the study's senior author, the said protein could totally deactivate the robust floral meristems at a certain floral stage to the numerous functions carried out by KNU through its position-specific functions.
As specified in a similar Native News Post report, KNUCKLES both represses and silence WUS, and directly represses CLV3 AND CLV1, a gene encoding a receptor for the CLV3 peptide.
As a result, KNU takes out the CLV3-WUS feedback loop through transcriptional and epigenetic mechanisms, which do not alter the fundamental DNA sequences.
This small protein also interacts physically with the WUS protein, inhibiting WUS from sustaining CLV3, distracting interactions needed for the maintenance of floral meristems.
Bo Sun, the study's corresponding author explained, their findings reveal a regulatory pathway from which KNU, which is described in the National Library of Medicine, is playing a vital role in supporting the floral meristem development's completion within a short timeframe, which guarantees that flower reproductive organs are properly formed.
These study findings will be helpful for genetic research on food crop species like tice, maize, and tomatoes. More so, an understanding of the floral meristem termination mechanism found in this particular research will be beneficial to crop yields for global food production.
Related information about floral development is shown on Molecule's YouTube video below:
RELATED ARTICLE:Sweet White Flower's Secret Carnivore Stems Uncovered; Scientists Found It's a Carnivorous Insect Killing Plant
Check out more news and information onPlantsin Science Times.
Read the original post:
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 17th, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - EurekAlert - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021
- Nic Chapman: my MS battle and the treatment that's given me hope - The Times - October 17th, 2021
- Dream Body Clinic Stem Cell Therapy Stem Cells HGH - October 13th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells - October 13th, 2021
- 3D printing: Healthcare insiders' view on the tech - Verdict - October 13th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Stem Cell Supplement Brands - Healthtrends - October 13th, 2021
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase overexpression and low oxygen conditioning hormesis improve the performance of irradiated sterile males |... - October 13th, 2021
- Researchers uncover how cancer cells use sugar residue to evade the immune system - News-Medical.net - October 13th, 2021
- The science and practicality of cultured meat The Stute - The Stute - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Le - Benzinga - October 11th, 2021
- Want To Support Healthy Bones? It's Time To Get Your Vitamin D In Check - mindbodygreen.com - October 11th, 2021
- Joint : Why Breast Cancer Awareness Matters, and How to Get It Done - marketscreener.com - October 11th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 7th, 2021
- Fasting boosts stem cells regenerative capacity | MIT ... - October 7th, 2021
- Adventist Review Online | Vaxed, Vexed, or Other? - Adventist Review - October 7th, 2021
- Sickle cell disease patients given hope for the future with first new treatment in 20 years - iNews - October 7th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WCAX - October 7th, 2021
- New Australian-first gene therapy gives Rylee and Saman sight at night and the chance at a new life - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Is Stathmin-2 the Next Piece of the ALS Jigsaw Puzzle? - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Ashley Black, Entrepreneur Of The Year For Health And Beauty, To Launch Best-Selling FasciaBlaster System - LatestLY - October 5th, 2021
- 25 Best Body Scrubs and Exfoliators in 2021 - the Trend Spotter - The Trend Spotter - October 5th, 2021
- Potential of exosomes as cell-free therapy | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present at Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer 2021 Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2021
- 12 of the best face serums 2021 - Medical News Today - October 2nd, 2021
- Humanigen Submits All Planned Modules for Potential Conditional Marketing Authorization from the UK's MHRA - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2021
- Envigo Announces Collaboration With Biocytogen to Distribute the B-NDG Triple Immunodeficient and Humanizable Mouse Model - StreetInsider.com - September 29th, 2021
- Large-Scale Bioproduction of Adherent Cells To Support Advanced Therapy Workflows - Technology Networks - September 29th, 2021
- Sidney author warns against the abuses of technology Saanich News - Saanich News - September 27th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Closes Transaction With Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition Corporation, Creating a Publicly Traded Biotechnology Company Dedicated... - September 25th, 2021
- Dr. Sean Kelishadi provides stem cell therapy for facial procedures - Digital Journal - September 25th, 2021
- Pipeline of cell and gene therapies holds promise for repairing the Parkinsonian brain - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- National Institutes of Health awards Children - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition : Announces Shareholder Approval of Business Combination with Jasper Therapeutics, Inc (Form 8-K) -... - September 25th, 2021
- Can you mix and match COVID vaccines or boosters? What scientists and doctors say - CNET - September 22nd, 2021
- All The Reasons Why You Should Add Nutrient-Dense Mushrooms To Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - September 22nd, 2021
- My children know I have a terminal illness talking openly about cancer benefits all of us - iNews - September 22nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Surgical Products Market Size to Expand Significantly by the End of 2031 - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2021
- Health tips from Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen for 9-21-21 - The Commercial Dispatch - September 22nd, 2021
- Prescription Drugs Can Be Affordable and Innovative - Center For American Progress - September 18th, 2021
- The Promise of Regenerative Medicine to Treat Chronic Pain - Mega Doctor News - September 18th, 2021
- Precise CRISPR gene editing can correct the mutation that causes cystic fibrosis in mini-intestines - Massive Science - September 18th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Publication of FT538 Preclinical Data Demonstrating Enhanced ... - The Bakersfield Californian - September 18th, 2021
- A New Company With a Wild Mission: Bring Back the Woolly Mammoth - The New York Times - September 14th, 2021
- TreeFrog Therapeutics Secures $75m In Series B Financing To Advance A Pipeline Of Stem Cell-Derived Cell Therapies And Deploy Proprietary C-Stem... - September 14th, 2021
- Therapeutic inhibition of USP9x-mediated Notch signaling in triple-negative breast cancer - pnas.org - September 14th, 2021
- What are the health benefits of nectarines? - Medical News Today - September 10th, 2021
- Time to humanize European health research with an action plan - POLITICO.eu - September 10th, 2021
- Tiny radio tags reveal the lives of Neotropical stingless bees - Massive Science - September 10th, 2021
- Bristol Myers Squibb Research at ESMO 2021 Demonstrates Clinical Benefits of Immunotherapies in Multiple Hard-to-Treat Advanced or Metastatic Cancers... - September 8th, 2021
- Opdivo: Use with Yervoy, Side Effects, Cost, and More - Healthline - September 8th, 2021
- The Deal in Duluth: Catholics here on their own in seeking a religious exemption to being vaccinated - Duluth News Tribune - September 8th, 2021
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Three Primary Malignant Tumors | BCTT - Dove Medical Press - September 8th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 7th, 2021
- Sorrento Announces Enrollment of First Subject in Brazil Phase 2 Study of COVI-MSC for Treatment of COVID-19 Associated Acute Respiratory Distress in... - September 2nd, 2021
- 11 of the best vitamin C serums 2021 - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) advice on third primary dose vaccination - GOV.UK - September 2nd, 2021
- Japanese scientists have 3D printed a square of lab-grown wagyu beef - The A.V. Club - September 2nd, 2021
- This Company is Producing Bioprinted Fur, Wool & Eyelashes Which Could Make Fur Farms Obsolete - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine -... - September 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics Presents Preliminary Results from Phase 1 Trial of P-PSMA-101 at the 6th Annual CAR- - Benzinga - September 1st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- Outlook on the Multiple Myeloma Drugs Global Market to 2026 - by Therapy, Drug Type, End-user, Distribution Channel and Region - Yahoo Finance - August 30th, 2021
- 6 Benefits of Not Eating Meat (or at Least Less of It) - Healthline - August 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market by Type of Cell Manufactured, Source of Cell, Scale of Operation, Purpose of Manufacturing and Key Geographical... - August 25th, 2021
- The world's first 3D-printed Wagyu beef is revealed-it's marbling like the real thing - Texasnewstoday.com - August 25th, 2021
- Science-Backed Benefits of Prickly Pear Cactus - Healthline - August 25th, 2021
- AdAlta and Carina Biotech to develop next-generation CAR-T cancer therapeutics | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - August 25th, 2021
- Educating California and the world on the benefits of hydrogen-powered transportation - H2 View - August 25th, 2021
- The Future is Fat: The Startups Looking to Fatten up Vegan Food - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - August 25th, 2021
- This tech investor believes well soon live to 150. Here are his seven longevity hacks - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2021
- The Best New CBD Skincare Products Of 2021 (So Far) - Forbes - August 25th, 2021
- FDA Approval, Efficacy, Boosters and More: Which COVID Vaccine is Best for You? - NBC Chicago - August 25th, 2021
- Plant Stem Cell Market Technology Research and Global Outlook By Our Experts The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 22nd, 2021
- AAPI's National Blood Donation Drive and Stem Cell Registry Launched, Honoring Fallen Covid Warriors The Indian Panorama - The Indian Panorama - August 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cells Facts and Quiz - WebMD - August 20th, 2021
- Stem cells | healthdirect - August 20th, 2021
- Research Study Published in Functional Foods Highlights Benefits of a Proprietary CBD Formula for Neurological Health - The Free Press Tampa - August 20th, 2021
- Leukemia Stem Cell Transplant: Benefits, Procedure, Side ... - August 20th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Positive Interim Clinical Data from its FT596 and FT516 Off-the-shelf, iPSC - GlobeNewswire - August 20th, 2021