Nov. 26, 2021
Yokohama, JapanJGC Holdings Corporation (Chairman and CEO: Masayuki Sato hereinafter referred to as "JGC Holdings") announced that they have invested in two companies in the MSC1 regenerative medicine and digital therapeutics2 fields through the JGC MIRAI Innovation Fund, a corporate venture capital (CVC) fund jointly managed by JGC Holdings and the domestic engineering company - JGC Japan Corporation (Representative Director, President: Shoji Yamada, hereinafter referred to as "JGC Japan").
The two companies in which JGC Holdings and JGC Japan have invested are TWOCELLS COMPANY, LIMITED (headquartered in Hiroshima, Japan; hereinafter referred to as "TWOCELLS"), which is engaged in the regenerative medicine field using MSC, and MedRhythms Inc. (headquartered in Maine, U.S.A.; hereinafter referred to as "MedRhythms"), which provides digital therapy based on a unique music therapy to treat gait disorders in stroke patients.
1. Background and Objectives
Following the establishment of the fund in April 2021, the JGC Group has been researching promising companies in Japan and overseas, with "improving the quality of life in the era of 100-year life" as one of the target themes.
In addition to possessing innovative technologies and solutions that contribute to addressing social issues such as declining and aging population, TWOCELLS is expected to strengthen JGC's proposal capabilities for the design, procurement, and construction (EPC) of pharmaceutical manufacturing plants and medical facilities, a field in which JGC has been engaged in for almost half a century.
2. Overview of TWOCELLS Investment
TWOCELLS has been researching and developing high-quality MSC products by applying patented technologies such as culture technology using serum-free medium.
In particular, the company's gMSC1, a cell therapy product for knee cartilage, has been in the spotlight as a regenerative medicine product that has been confirmed to be safe and effective through a process that does not use patient (autologous) cells, but cultivates and transplants other cells harvested from the periosteum of non-patients, while enabling mass production and stable supply.
Combining TWOCELLS's cutting-edge culture technology with JGC Japan's engineering capabilities, including automation, we strive to improve the efficiency of cell culture. JGC Japan will use the knowledge and know-how gained through the efficiency improvement within the company to contribute to solving the problems faced by companies engaged in regenerative medicine in Japan and overseas in establishing a safe and low-cost mass production system.
3. Overview of JGC's Investment in MedRhythms
MedRhythms is developing digital therapies for patients who have difficulty walking after a stroke, using sensors that measure the patient's gait and an application that selects the music and rhythm most suitable to patients based on data detected by the sensors and plays it through headphones.
MedRhythms' next-generation digital therapeutics are attracting attention as the brain is activated by the stimulation of patients' favorite music and rhythm, improving walking ability as the autonomic nervous system is regulated, and that they can be used at home. MedRhythms also received Breakthrough Device Designation3 from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
JGC Japan is engaged in the EPC business for hospitals and rehabilitation facilities. Our investment in MedRhythms, a leading next-generation digital therapeutics company, ensures that JGC Japan is well positioned to increase its presence in the rehabilitation field in Japan, where the market is expected to further increase, and to promote the development of innovative technology that will improve patient lives.
4. Future Policy
Based on the cutting-edge technologies possessed by the companies in which we at JGC Holdings and JGC Japan have invested, we will strengthen our proposal capabilities tailored to client needs in the life science and healthcare fields, which are positioned as growth businesses in our medium-term management plan - "Building a Sustainable Planetary Infrastructure 2025" (BSP2025).
In addition, we will make further strategic investments to achieve synergies with the JGC Group.
The names of companies, organizations, products, services, and logos used in this document are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective companies and organizations.
Outline of TWOCELLS
Outline of MedRhythms
CEO and Co-FounderBRIAN HARRIS, Ph.D.
President and Co-FounderOWEN McCARTHY
MedRhythms is a digital therapeutics company that uses sensors, music and software to build evidence-based neurologic interventions to measure and improve walking. The company is developing a pipeline of digital therapeutics in neurological conditions such as Parkinson's, acute stroke and multiple sclerosis, including a neuroimaging study with Massachusetts General Hospital. MedRhythms has received FDA Breakthrough Device designation for its lead digital therapeutic to treat chronic stroke walking deficits. The company was founded out of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, one of the leading rehabilitation hospitals in the United States. MedRhythms is headquartered in Portland, Maine. For more information, please visit http://www.medrhythms.com.
Outline of JGC MIRAI Innovation Fund
5 billion yen
Domestic and foreign start-ups that possess innovative technologies and business models concerning the realization of carbon neutral, building sustainable and resilient infrastructure, enhancing lifestyle quality while looking ahead to the 100-year-life society and making industries smart. All of which are components of the safe, secure, and sustainable social system envisaged by JGC Japan
Start-ups that are anticipated to collaborate with JGC Japan
- Wealth of Newer Treatment Options Span the Scope of Multiple Myeloma and Amyloidosis - OncLive - January 16th, 2022
- Trial of Cell Therapy to Raise HbF Levels Showing Potential, But... - Sickle Cell Anemia News - January 16th, 2022
- What it's like in academic family medicine: Shadowing Dr. Rouhbakhsh - American Medical Association - January 16th, 2022
- The Fusion of mRNA and Immunotherapy - NEO.LIFE - January 16th, 2022
- Editas Medicine Reports on Recent Progress and Outlook at J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference - The Bakersfield Californian - January 11th, 2022
- BioCardia Announces Participation at the Upcoming Digital Medicine & Medtech Showcase and the H.C. Wainwright BioConnect Virtual Conference -... - January 11th, 2022
- Equillium Announces Multiple Abstracts Accepted for Presentation at the Transplantation & Cellular Meetings of ASTCT and CIBMTR - Yahoo Finance - January 11th, 2022
- Houston TX Diabetes Stem Cell Treatment Regenerative Medicine Therapy Launch - Digital Journal - January 9th, 2022
- Stem Cell Rejuvenation Center - January 9th, 2022
- Cartesian Aims to Propel RNA Cell Therapy with Combinations - BioSpace - January 9th, 2022
- Orthopedic Biomaterials Product Market: Hip implant product segment is anticipated to carry major share of the market - BioSpace - January 9th, 2022
- Gamida Cell Announces Data to be Presented at 2022 Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and CIBMTR Tandem Meetings - Business Wire - January 9th, 2022
- Jakubowiak Talks Daratumumab Quadruplet Therapy and the GRIFFIN Study at 2021 ASH - Cancer Network - January 9th, 2022
- Part 1: Benefit Shown With Transplant and Combination Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - January 9th, 2022
- Notch Therapeutics' Peter Zandstra Appointed to the Order of Canada - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2022
- FDA Grants Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation to AlloVirs Posoleucel for the Treatment of Adenovirus (AdV) Infections in Adults... - January 7th, 2022
- BlueRock Therapeutics Announces Closeout of First Cohort in Phase 1 Trial in Patients with Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2022
- Cellusion Raises 1.1B JPY to Advance Japan and Global Clinical Trials of CLS001 for Corneal Endothelial Cell Regenerative Therapy - Galveston County... - January 7th, 2022
- US FDA approves Phase 3 Study Design for Zilovertamab in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma - OncoZine - January 5th, 2022
- Alzheimer's Disease Expected to Triple by 2050 While the Development Process for Potential Drug Candidates Increases - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2022
- FDA Grants Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation To AlloVir's Posoleucel For The Treatment Of Adenovirus Infections In Adults And... - January 5th, 2022
- Protecting people with cancer from COVID-19: - EurekAlert - January 5th, 2022
- Sernova to Announce New Interim Results of its Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Trial During the 40th Annual JP Morgan Healthcare Conference - TheNewswire.ca - January 5th, 2022
- Placental Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 4.4 Bn by 2030, Underpinned by Enormous R&D in Cellular Therapies and Regenerative Medicine, Finds... - January 3rd, 2022
- LifeBank Chain Announces Upcoming Gene and Cell Collaboration Platform With Disrupt Blockchain Technologies - AsiaOne - January 3rd, 2022
- Genomic variant may help predict which patients will experience chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity - News-Medical.Net - January 3rd, 2022
- lodie Yung plunges into the undocumented underworld in 'The Cleaning Lady' - Entertainment Weekly News - January 3rd, 2022
- Cellular Therapies Fill Unmet Needs in R/R Multiple Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - January 2nd, 2022
- Curi Bio Closes $10M Series A in Oversubscribed Round - BioSpace - December 31st, 2021
- Bring in the bulldozers: Cynatas CEO on how heavyweight FujiFilm will turbocharge its ... - Stockhead - December 31st, 2021
- Questions on Quadruplets and CAR T Set to be Answered As Myeloma Paradigm Parses Out the Clinical Value of MRD - OncLive - December 31st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy NYC, Regenerative Medicine Injections ... - December 29th, 2021
- James Shapiro, MD: Insulin Production In T1D Patients After Stem Cell Therapy - MD Magazine - December 29th, 2021
- Global Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems - GlobeNewswire - December 29th, 2021
- Bill would pave way for organ donation - Stabroek News - December 29th, 2021
- Celularity Receives Fast Track Designation from US FDA for its NK Cell Therapy CYNK-001 in Development for the Treatment of AML - BioSpace - December 29th, 2021
- Valemetostat New Drug Application Submitted in Japan for Treatment of Patients with Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma - Business Wire - December 29th, 2021
- 2021: The Year in Diabetes - Healthline - December 29th, 2021
- Covid infects kidneys and leads to scarring: Study - India New England - December 29th, 2021
- Fetal Gut May Have Insulin-Producing Cells That Shut Off at Birth - Medscape - December 29th, 2021
- Brem Looks at Multiple Treatments for Patients With DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - December 26th, 2021
- Delete Blood Cancer! How Content Creator Duo Abhi And Niyu Inspired Thousands To Give Someone Second... - The Logical Indian - December 25th, 2021
- The pathogenesis, natural history, and treatment of type 1 diabetes: time (thankfully) does not stand still - The Lancet - December 25th, 2021
- Ropinirole Proves Safe and Tolerable for Patients With ALS - Medscape - December 25th, 2021
- Major international research center may drive the development of future stem cell-based treatments - News-Medical.Net - December 19th, 2021
- Receiving CAR-T therapy sooner improves lymphoma survival, according to study published in New England Journal of Medicine - Newswise - December 19th, 2021
- Latest Cancer Research: CAR T to Liquid Biopsies - Healthline - December 19th, 2021
- Trials of stem cell therapy offer hope to childless women in Bangladesh - The Financial Express BD - December 19th, 2021
- UC San Diego Breaks Ground on Revitalization of Hillcrest Campus - UC San Diego Health - December 19th, 2021
- BioLineRx Provides Highlights from Oral Presentation Delivered at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting & Exposition -... - December 19th, 2021
- CAR-T Cell Therapy Continues to Impress in Myeloma Treatment - Curetoday.com - December 17th, 2021
- CAR-T therapy trials show promise for earlier use in lymphoma - BioPharma Dive - December 17th, 2021
- Cedars-Sinai researchers discover growth hormone in the colon that influences aging process - News-Medical.Net - December 17th, 2021
- Cyteir Therapeutics Announces the Appointment of Dr. Jeffrey S. Humphrey to Board of Directors - Business Wire - December 17th, 2021
- BeyondSpring Pharmaceuticals Announces New Clinical Data Confirming Plinabulin's Fast Onset Mechanism of Action in the Prevention of... - December 17th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy for Large B-Cell Lymphoma Who, When, and How? | NEJM - nejm.org - December 15th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Highlights Positive Durability of Response Data from FT516 Phase 1 Study for B-cell Lymphoma and Announces FDA Regenerative Medicine... - December 15th, 2021
- AgeX Therapeutics to Collaborate With University of California, Irvine, on Research Program for Exosome-Based Therapies for Certain Brain Disorders -... - December 15th, 2021
- Bioengineered skin breakthrough to revolutionise burns treatment - Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences - Monash University - December 15th, 2021
- In Patients With Acute GVHD, First-Line Itolizumab Associated With High Rates of Clinical Response, Tolerability - Targeted Oncology - December 15th, 2021
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces peer reviewed publication of NurOwn's Phase 3 Study for ALS in Muscle and Nerve - BioSpace - December 15th, 2021
- Flawed genetic switches could be at the origin of malformations or developmental diseases - News-Medical.net - December 15th, 2021
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics and Catalent Announce Completion of Technology Transfer for NurOwn Manufacturing - BioSpace - December 9th, 2021
- Syrian refugee is thriving five years after last-gasp gene therapy - STAT - STAT - December 9th, 2021
- What happened to Dolly the sheep? How long the first cloned adult mammal lived, and her legacy explained - iNews - December 9th, 2021
- It is imperative to reduce the cost of cancer treatment: Ramesh Ramadurai, MD, 3M India - ETHealthworld.com - December 9th, 2021
- For the 2nd time listed as the World's Top 2% scientists by Stanford University - Malaysiakini - December 9th, 2021
- Research offers a phylogenetic and ontogenetic overview of the primitive streak - News-Medical.net - December 7th, 2021
- New discoveries make steps toward lipoedema diagnosis and treatment - Mirage News - December 7th, 2021
- With its Parkinsons treatment, TreeFrog Therapeutics shows cell therapy is no longer science fiction - The Times Hub - December 7th, 2021
- The lung game: is hyperbaric oxygen therapy any good? - Financial Times - December 7th, 2021
- Irving Weissman Laboratory | Institute for Stem Cell ... - December 4th, 2021
- Nine Things To Know About Stem Cell Treatments - A Closer ... - December 4th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell Therapy Las Vegas ... - December 4th, 2021
- World AIDS Day: is a cure for HIV finally in sight? - Thomson Reuters Foundation - December 4th, 2021
- New genetic technology for gene expression analysis of cancer cells - News-Medical.net - December 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Restores Insulin Production in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes - MD Magazine - December 4th, 2021
- It takes guts to make a heart - EurekAlert - December 4th, 2021
- Appia Bio Announces Appointment of Irving Weissman, MD, and Mark Exley, PhD, to Scientific Advisory Board - BioSpace - December 4th, 2021
- The Intramural Research Program at the Abu Dhabi Stem Cell Center (ADSCC) Signs a Letter of Intent to Collaborate with the Division of Intramural... - December 4th, 2021