Alice Hanagan, a former beauty therapist, was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) two years ago but delays with her treatment due to the coronavirus pandemic drastically reduced her chances of survival.
Time has sadly run out for Alice to have a stem cell transplant, which could have saved her life at an earlier stage of her condition, but she is appealing for people to donate stem cells to boost the survival chances of other cancer patients.
Alice said: It is too late for me to have a stem cell transplant now, but my situation has brought home to me how little people know about the importance of donating stem cells and how easy it is.
All it takes is one swab of the cheek.
Pregnant women can help by donating their placentas after birth.
It is such a simple step, and it could save the life of someone like me.
It is research that led to this life-saving procedure of a stem cell transplant, and research that will save the lives of more people in the future, so continuing to fundraise and donate through Cancer Research UK is of vital importance.
As AML patients are typically older and Alice was only 32 at the time of diagnosis, her cancer took some time to be found.
The devastating news that she had it came just before Christmas 2019, after 10 months of investigations.
As she was so young, Alice had fertility treatment in January last year before enduring six months of intensive chemotherapy, in complete isolation due to Covid, an experience she describes as harrowing.
She went into remission in July 2020 but the extra risks due to Covid meant she could not be considered for a stem cell transplant to boost her chances of survival.
Alice relapsed six months later, the very same day she was also diagnosed with coronavirus.
This held up her treatment for a further three months and by the time she was well enough to undergo a further four months of chemotherapy, her cancer had stopped responding to treatment.
Targeted therapy failed to put Alice back into remission so, yet again, she could not undergo a stem cell transplant.
It had been her last, slim chance of survival as her sister was only a half match and a full donor match could not be found.
By this time Alices cancer had progressed further and she is now living with incurable cancer, not knowing how long she has left.
She attended her own fake wake with family members, friends and partner, Dex, to celebrate her life.
Alice is being kept alive by twice-weekly blood and platelet transfusions - a fact she describes as remarkable.
I dont feel ill with the transfusions, but the exhaustion is extreme, she added.
Mine is the most bizarre situation to be in it boggles your mind.
To some extent I am in denial about death, but at the same time I know I dont have long left.
Before I die, I want to create an impact as much as I can.
I find it remarkable that blood and platelet transfusions twice a week can keep me alive, and Im so grateful for the past research that has produced the treatments that have helped me survive as long as I have.
Jane Redman, Cancer Research UK spokesperson for Leicestershire, said: We are so grateful to Alice for her selfless support and for thinking of others when her own situation is so difficult.
Cancer Research UK was instrumental in revolutionising stem cell collection.
By making the collection of stem cells kinder for donors, this vital work helped increase the number of people willing to donate stem cells and is keeping more cancer patients alive.
One in two of us will get cancer in our lifetime with an average of more than 23,000 people diagnosed every year in the East Midlands, alone.
Thanks to the generosity of its supporters, Cancer Research UKs work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has been at the heart of the progress that has seen survival in the UK double in the last 40 years.
Ms Redman added: This past year proves, more than any other, the value of research and what can be achieved together.
Just as science is our route out of the pandemic, science is our route to beating cancer.
Thats why we want to harness the people power of our incredible supporters, because the progress we make relies on every hour of research, every pound donated and everyone who gets involved.
So, whether they give 2 a month, sign up to fundraise, volunteer at our shops or pledge to leave a gift in their Will - with the help of people in Leicestershire we believe that together we will beat cancer.
The charity spent over 1 million in Leicestershire in 2020 on some of the UKs leading scientific and clinical research.
Go online at http://www.cruk.org to find out more about how you can help support research into cancer.
Follow this link:
- University of Michigan Stem Cell Research | Frequently ... - November 30th, 2021
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Centre for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine job with KINGS COLLEGE LONDON | 273388 - Times Higher Education... - November 30th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy potentially could treat Type 1 diabetes by helping patients produce insulin - USA TODAY - November 30th, 2021
- UCLA Broad Stem Cell Research Center receives $5 million ... - November 30th, 2021
- ReproCELL Incorporated : Everything you need to know about the REPROCELL iPSC Biobank - marketscreener.com - November 30th, 2021
- Cell therapy biotech Quell adds $156M for alternative to organ transplant meds - MedCity News - November 30th, 2021
- New nanochip reprograms cells in the body to perform different functions - New Atlas - November 30th, 2021
- Inside the Innovative Lab Growing Mammal Tissue Using Plants as Scaffolds - Smithsonian - November 30th, 2021
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces the Presentation of New Analyses from the Phase 3 Trial of NurOwn in ALS at the 4th Annual ALS ONE Research... - November 30th, 2021
- 'Sleeping' cancer cells explain why childhood leukaemia returns after years of treatment - The Institute of Cancer Research, London - The Institute of... - November 30th, 2021
- 10 rare cancers: Symptoms, treatment, and more - Medical News Today - November 30th, 2021
- Heart repair and regeneration after a heart attack a review - The Mix - November 30th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - StreetInsider.com - November 27th, 2021
- How the CGT Catapult plans to bridge the gap between scientific research and commercialisation - The Scotsman - November 27th, 2021
- Global $512M+ Exosome Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, 2026 | Featuring Profiles of Codiak Biosciences, Evox Therapeutics, Exosome Diagnostics,... - November 27th, 2021
- Discovering a new gene in monkeys that could help to develop new antivirals - News-Medical.net - November 27th, 2021
- 2nd Person May Be Naturally 'Cured' of HIV: What Science Is Learning - Healthline - November 27th, 2021
- Research Roundup: Masking Cuts COVID-19 Risk in Half and More Research News - BioSpace - November 27th, 2021
- Stem Cell Research Facts - November 24th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Research Developments in the Treatment of Advanced Kidney Cancer - Warwick Beacon - November 24th, 2021
- Covid vaccine: Stem cell transplant patients who must be completely re-vaccinated struggling to book jabs - iNews - November 24th, 2021
- Amity University partners with top US varsities for academics and research - Telegraph India - November 24th, 2021
- AML relapse: Definition, statistics, and treatment options - Medical News Today - November 24th, 2021
- Research Developments in the Treatment of Advanced Kidney Cancer - The Apopka Voice - November 22nd, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- California Proposition 14, Stem Cell Research Institute ... - November 22nd, 2021
- Theres Something Neurological Going On, COVID Could Cause Depression And Anxiety, Researchers Say - CBS Baltimore - November 22nd, 2021
- Exosome Diagnostics and Therapeutics: Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - November 22nd, 2021
- Flying cars and floating cities these 8 radical designs predict our imminent future - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News - November 22nd, 2021
- Researchers discover new type of cell that may help regulate heart rate - News-Medical.net - November 22nd, 2021
- The Promise of Stem Cells to Help Children with Autism - Entrepreneur - November 21st, 2021
- Stem cell transplants without chemo and radiation first? - Futurity: Research News - November 16th, 2021
- Unregulated Stem Cell Clinics Endanger Patients And Limit Research - Forbes - November 16th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $ ~41.45 billion by 2031 - Market Size, Share, Forecasts and Trends Analysis Report with COVID-19 Impact by... - November 16th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Reduces Need for Nearly 10% of Hip Replacements - Yale School of Medicine - November 16th, 2021
- Overlooked DNA may be what separates humans from other primates study - The Jerusalem Post - November 16th, 2021
- In-depth Research on Cancer Stem Cell Market Forecast Estimation & Approach 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, AbbVie, Merck KGaA, Bionomics,... - November 16th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Cumulative Impact for COVID-19 Recovery Research Report 2021 | Takeda Pharmaceutical, JCR Pharmaceutical,... - November 16th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2027|Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - November 16th, 2021
- Hoth Therapeutics Announces a Sponsored Research Agreement to Further Develop Novel mRNA Cancer Therapeutic HT-KIT - Yahoo Finance - November 16th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size Is Projected to Reach $6.35 Billion by 2028 | CAGR: 6.5% : Polaris Market Research - PRNewswire - November 16th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Tyler Morning Telegraph - November 16th, 2021
- $2.26 million in grants will support biomedic - EurekAlert - November 16th, 2021
- What science knows about stem cells and what it predicts in the future | CoFounder - CoFounder Magazine - November 11th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Research Collaboration with AVROBIO to Evaluate JSP191 as Conditioning Agent in Clinical Studies of Ex Vivo Lentiviral... - November 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2021 Detailed Analysis of top Ventures with Regional Outlook | Key Companies: Osiris Therapeutics,... - November 11th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Market Insightful Research Report: Business Growth, Development Factors, Current and Future Trends and... - November 11th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - The Bakersfield Californian - November 11th, 2021
- 2021 Boston Investment Conference Marks Decade of Helping Fund Critical Research at Boston Childrens Hospital - Yahoo Finance - November 11th, 2021
- Yale researchers develop RNA-based therapy that clears SARS-CoV-2 from mice - EurekAlert - November 11th, 2021
- Critical Link Discovered Between Dietary Fat and the Spread of Cancer - SciTechDaily - November 11th, 2021
- Opinion | How Covid Raised the Stakes of the War Between Faith and Science - The New York Times - November 11th, 2021
- EdiGene to Present Latest Research on A Novel Surface Marker and Migration of Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) That Could Enhance HSC Gene Therapy and... - November 5th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics to Present at the 63rd American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting and Host Virtual Research & Development Update - Yahoo... - November 5th, 2021
- City of Hope Doctors Present New Research on Cancer Immunotherapies - Business Wire - November 5th, 2021
- Mini-brain model of frontotemporal dementia demonstrates the stages of dysfunction that lead to cell death - National Institute on Aging - November 5th, 2021
- Intestinal Organoids and Their Role in Tissue Engineering - Technology Networks - November 5th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter Financial Results and Program Highlights - Business Wire - November 5th, 2021
- Researchers generate and characterize the hepatic organoid culture system - News-Medical.net - November 3rd, 2021
- A major research project to advance regenerative therapy for epidermolysis bullosa (EB) using transgenic stem cells - PR Web - November 3rd, 2021
- Canada Biobanks Markets, Analysis & Forecasts, 2016-2020 & 2021-2026 - Increased Research and Technological Advancement in Genomic Studies -... - November 3rd, 2021
- Study paves the way for a better understanding of muscle injury - News-Medical.Net - November 3rd, 2021
- Lab-Growing Everything Might Be The Only Way To Attain A Sustainable World - Intelligent Living - November 3rd, 2021
- What is Stem Cell Research? | The Benefits of Stem Cell ... - October 26th, 2021
- New Treatments and Tips for Dealing With Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - October 26th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Cumulative Impact for COVID-19 Recovery Research Report 2021 | Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, Takeda... - October 25th, 2021
- Skroot Laboratory, Inc. Joins Cell Manufacturing Research Initiative to Further Advance Cell Therapy Discovery - KOLO - October 23rd, 2021
- New GBM research pipeline and being glad - Brain Tumour Research - October 23rd, 2021
- Excellent Growth of Cell Separation Technology Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation and Key Players GE, BD, Terumo, Merck, Thermo Fisher | Forecast... - October 23rd, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff -... - October 21st, 2021
- What Makes Us Human? The Answer May Be Found in Overlooked Junk DNA - SciTechDaily - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market SWOT Analysis, Key Indicators, Forecast 2027 | Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. (South Korea), Osiris... - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Shaping Tomorrow with Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. (South Korea), Osiris Therapeutics Puck77 -... - October 21st, 2021
- Liu receives Catalyst Award from the National Institutes of Health agency - Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Financial Highlights Analysis with Top Key Players: Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. (South Korea),... - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2025 Size, Key Companies, Trends, Growth And Regional Forecasts Research | Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST Co.,... - October 21st, 2021
- Scientists use human-derived brain cells to develop more realistic 'disease-in-a-dish' models of Alzheimer's - National Institute on Aging - October 21st, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 17th, 2021
- Research Roundup: T-Cell Immune Response to COVID-19 Vaccines and More - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021