Paula Grisanti, Opinion contributor Published 6:20 a.m. ET Nov. 9, 2020
This year, Nov.17 has been designated World Cord Blood Day, an annual event to raise awareness for the life-saving benefits of cord blood transplants while educating parents, health professionals and the general public about the need to preserve these precious cells.
Cord blood transplants are being used to treat more than 80 different diseases and conditions including blood cancers like leukemia and lymphoma, neuroblastoma (the most common cancer in infants), bone-marrow failure disorders, inherited blood disorders and rare immune system disorders. They are also showing new promise for conditions that have never had treatment options, like autism and brain injury.
The first cord blood stem cell transplant, an international effort between physicians in the U.S. and Europe, was performed in France in 1988. Stem cells collected from a newborns umbilical cord blood were used to save the life of her brother, a 5-year-old with Fanconi Anemia. Since then, there have been more than 40,000 cord blood transplants performed worldwide.
Now standard of care for cancers of the blood and a host of other life-threatening diseases, blood forming stem cells for transplantation can be collected from bone marrow, circulating bloodor a newborn babys umbilical cord blood. Some experts believe cord blood contains nearly 10 times the number of stem cells found in bone marrow.
Because umbilical cord stem cells are less mature than adult bone marrow stem cells, they are also less likely to be rejected and can be used when there isnt a perfect match.
Between these threeoptions, the easiest collection by far is from umbilical cord and placental tissue after a baby is born and the umbilical cord has been cut, at no risk to mother or child, in a process that typically takes 5 to 10 minutes. The cells are then frozen in liquid nitrogen and can be stored indefinitely in private or public cord blood banks.
To store your babys cord blood for use by your child and your family only, you make arrangements with a private cord blood bank ahead of delivery to collect and store the cells; the cost to you includes a collection fee of $1,500 to $2,000 and an annual storage fee of $100 to $125.
If you cant afford or dont wish to save your babys cord blood stem cells, you can donate them to a public cord blood bank at no cost to you or your family.
Its the equivalent of registering these potentially life-saving cells with the national bone marrow registry; they will be available to the families of other children who need to find a bone marrow match after a devastating diagnosis. Without information and education, however, 95% of all cord blood is discarded as medical waste.
Right now, there is no public cord banking option in Kentucky, although public cord blood banking is highly recommended by both the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Medical Association (AMA). There are fewer than 25 public or hybrid cord blood banks in the U.S., many limited to a specific geographic area. None of them include Kentucky.
The chances of finding a bone marrow match in your family are only about 25%, making the bone marrow and umbilical cord blood registries a lifeline in desperate situations. Odds are worse for African Americans and other ethnic minorities who are underrepresented on the registry and ethnicity matters in a bone marrow transplant.
Donating cord blood cells to a public bank adds to the library of cells that may save someones life and increases the chance of a match for all of us. Who benefits most? Children, patients with rare human leukocyte antigen (HLA) types and ethnic minorities.
We need to do two things: Make public cord blood banking an option in the commonwealth of Kentucky, and then encourage conversations between health care providers and expectant parents about preserving these life-saving cells.
There are 28 states with legislation that ask or mandates physicians to talk to expectant parents about cord blood banking. Kentucky is not one of them, but most of our surrounding states have such legislation in place.
Through a long-standing relationship between the National Stem Cell Foundationand world-renowned cord blood expert Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg, we have a path forward for training hospitals and collecting cells for storage at the Carolinas Cord Blood Bank (CCBB), one of the largest public cord blood banks in the world. Dr. Kurtzberg directs both the Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant (PBMT) program at Duke University and the CCBB.
She performed the worlds first unrelated cord blood transplant in 1993, paving the way for this now routine source of donor cells for children who need a bone marrow transplant and dont have a matched donor. She established the CCBB in 1998.
Paula Grisanti is CEO of the National Stem Cell Foundation.(Photo: provided)
While weve initiated discussions between Louisville hospital systems and the CCBB, we need to begin the process of education for parents, nursing and medical school students, residents, midwives, practicing OB-GYNs and the general public.
What a waste to discard these life-saving cells the future of current and developing therapies for disabling and life-threatening diseases depends on our ability to make sure that doesnt happen.
Dr. Paula Grisanti is CEO and a founding member of the National Stem Cell Foundation, headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky. She holds a D.M.D. and MBA from the University of Louisville and has been actively involved in new venture start-ups for most of her career.
See the original post here:
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market 2021 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by... - February 21st, 2021
- Global Research Antibodies Market 2017-2027 - Global Market is Forecast to Reach $5.33 Billion, Growing at a CAGR of 5.9% to 2027 -... - February 19th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis Holdings Begins a Year of Celebration of its 35th Anniversary in the Cell Banking and Cell Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Thawing Equipment Market 2020 Global Industry Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Demands Research Report|| Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - February 17th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market Size and Forecast (2021-2027) | By Top Leading Players ThermoGenesis, CBR Systems, China Cord Blood... - February 17th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Profiling Allosource, Medipost and Mesoblast Among Others - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021
- Hope grows for blood cancer patients, as cell therapy firm's key trial succeeds - The Times of Israel - February 12th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Reach USD 214.5 Million by 2024 - The Courier - February 12th, 2021
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Current Scenario, Shares, Latest Innovations, Analysis and Forecasts to 2023 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 12th, 2021
- GMDA Stock Price Increases Over 40% Pre-Market: Why It Happened - Pulse 2.0 - February 12th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Factors Boosting Industry To Record An Impressive Growth The Courier - The Courier - February 12th, 2021
- Growth Factors of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market with Emerging Trends and Revenue Estimation By 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 12th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 3rd, 2021
- India Stem Cell Market speedy growth at US$ 1.27 Bn by 2028 with Thermofisher Scientific India, Pluristem Technologies, Becton Dickinson Private... - February 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 ... - January 28th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Regression of Glioma, Lung Cancer and Colorectal Cancer using StemVacs in Animal Models - PRNewswire - January 28th, 2021
- Trending News: Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Analysis Overview and Forecast To 2026 | Top players: Athersys, Astellas Pharma, Anterogen,... - January 28th, 2021
- Every day is a success for little boy with leukaemia after life-saving transplant - Grimsby Live - January 28th, 2021
- [Full text] Clinical Analysis of Bloodstream Infections During Agranulocytosis Aft | IDR - Dove Medical Press - January 19th, 2021
- Industry News: RheinCell Therapeutics achieves milestone GMP certification to manufacture cord blood-derived iPSCs for safe and compliant cell... - January 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Is Expected To Gain Market Growth In The Forecast Period Of 2020 To 2026||ViaCord, CBR Systems, Inc, SMART CELLS PLUS,... - January 17th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Highlights Recent Progress and Expected Timing of 2021 Milestones, Including Fo - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market To Register Phenomenal Growth and Competitive Outlook 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 17th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 17th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Opportunities and Growth Forecast 2025 - KSU | The... - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Report Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological Advancement,... - January 10th, 2021
- Global Organ and Tissue Transplantation and Alternatives Market to 2024 - Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Overview of current adipose-derived stem cell (ADSCs) processing involved in therapeutic advancements: flow chart and regulation updates before and... - January 6th, 2021
- Hemostemix steps into the new year with capital and its critical clinical study data in hand - InvestorIntel - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Competitive Intelligence, SWOT Analysis, Strategies, And Tracking Report 2021 2026 | Chart, Shengjie... - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 4th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | BioCell Pty. Ltd., Kaneka... - December 30th, 2020
- "Vital To Life" Blood Drive Returns To iPlay America On January 2nd - New Jersey Stage - December 30th, 2020
- He got his cheek swabbed at 24. Nothing happened for 14 years. - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 27th, 2020
- Research Assistant - Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 239606 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 27th, 2020
- Organ and Tissue Transplantation and Alternatives - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Systems Market Growth, Ongoing Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 | CBR Systems, China... - December 23rd, 2020
- Outlook on the Biopreservation Global Market to 2026 - Profiling Avantor, BioLife Solutions and ThermoGenesis Among Others - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2020
- Jet It Partners with Be The Match to Aid Life-Saving Transportation - WFMZ Allentown - December 20th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Market to explore huge growth in the upcoming period 2020-2028| Key Players Cord Blood America, Inc, Cordlife Group... - December 17th, 2020
- Jet It Partners with Be The Match to Aid Life-Saving Transportation - Avery Journal Times - December 17th, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells: Current and Future Benefits for ... - December 17th, 2020
- Ash Pollard's wise words on navigating the newborn trenches - Now To Love - December 17th, 2020
- 2017 Amtrak tragedy becomes call-to-action for Blood Donor Day this Sat., Dec. 18 - SeaTac Blog - December 17th, 2020
- What is Cord Blood? | CBR - December 11th, 2020
- SNUH finds way to produce T-cells to prevent HSCT complications - Korea Biomedical Review - December 11th, 2020
- Biobanking Market Reflecting Growth Propelled by its Extensive Industrial Applications: Fact.MR - Yahoo Finance - December 11th, 2020
- Is it Time to Dump Gamida Cell Ltd (GMDA) Stock After it Is Higher By 39.15% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - December 11th, 2020
- Blood stem cell donation need of the hour as blood cancer cases rise - United News of India - December 6th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Report 2020: Market Competition Trend and Price by Manufacturers till 2026 - Factory Maintenance - December 6th, 2020
- Trends Of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2027 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Chart, Worthington Industries,... - December 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market | Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026 - Khabar South... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Growth and Current Status of Industry Surveyed in New Research Report | (2020-2027) - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis of Key Players, Trends, Drivers - Khabar South Asia - December 1st, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 to Show Tremendous Growth || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, PerkinElmer Inc,... - December 1st, 2020
- Vitalant to Hold Blood Donation Event on December 5 in Freehold - TAPinto.net - December 1st, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market is Driven by Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Life-threatening Diseases - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- The roles bone marrow plays in the body - Therogersvillereview - November 28th, 2020
- Revenue from the Sales of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness Relatively Significant Growth During 2017 2025 - Canaan Mountain... - November 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking emerges as a lifesaver - India Education Diary - November 25th, 2020
- Septic shock and pneumonia triggered by SARS-CoV-2 could be treated by radiation-activated MSCs - News-Medical.Net - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Product Type, End User and by Region-Trends and Forecast to 2026|China Cord Blood Corp, CBR... - November 20th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends & Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 14th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Kite Pharma Inc.,... - November 14th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market size and Key Trends in terms of - News by aeresearch - November 14th, 2020
- Spinal Fusion Market Size and Forecasts Research Report 2020-2026 - TechnoWeekly - November 14th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast period 2020 2025 - Express Journal - November 11th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trends Research Report Analysis Revealing Key Drivers & Growth Trends through 2027 -... - November 11th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Emerging Trend and Advancement - News by aeresearch - November 8th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market Technological Innovations And Future Opportunities 202 - Fractovia News - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 6th, 2020